Priority Boarding for Upper Suites, Poll and Discussion

UUNetBill

Should there be priority boarding for passengers in upper suites?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be priority boarding for passengers in upper suites?

• Absoultely - they paid the big bucks, they should be treated like VIPs.
    • I don't see why not, as long as it's not flaunted.
    • No way - everyone on Regent is a VIP - the extra money paid is only for a larger cabin, mostly.
    • What's 'Priority Boarding'??

One of the most attractive aspects of a Regent Cruise is its ability to fulfill individual needs and desires. Some of us enjoy peace and tranquility. Others among us embrace the interaction with our fellow guests. Although no one could be accused of enjoying lines or queues, some of the strongest voyage friendships were chartered during the minutes it took to be received by the Regent representatives at the brow of the ship. Still others are properly posed that they need not make small talk, they are on a mission to get to their private quarters and have what is due them - brought to them!

In the military there is a long standing (although rapidly decaying) hierarchy that separated the Flag Officers from the Staff Officers from the Staff NCOs etc. Most had the privilege of head-of-the-line, reserved parking, separate messes and so on.

My greatest respect, and respect earned, came from those who exercised those privileges with candor. If those individuals were not in a hurry, they opted out of using that perk; leaving the opportunity for others not so blessed to get-in and get-out.

Personally, I enjoy the ritual of boarding the ship; being there to observe others excitement and/or assist someone who is burdened. I wouldn’t opt out of that. That stated, if I having an overwhelming need to get to the cabin and knowing that chartering the Grand/Master/Regent Suite would accomplish that, I should not be denied... but really, Why?

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. People who pay more expecting more in exchange depends in part on what they are paying for. On planes more cash equals more space. If everyone on Regent is truly first class, and the same hallways are used by everyone, it's suite space that is purchased. Dividing up first class into subgroups based on that factor eliminates first class. We sail in PHs, so I guess we would be 50% first class. The next level suites without half baths would be 60%, with only the Regent suite at 100% first class. How else to explain some people are more first class than others. We might as well go back to Oceania's, Riviera. There, the class difference is just part of it, We sailed PH on her six times. A beautiful vessel, and Frank Del Rio's art is just as captivating. For the moment, we are booked on Explorer again. I doubt my husband and I will care enough about not having a special line at embarkation to cancel our cruise. Bets will be off when Regent reaches the point where upper percenters get reserved tables in Compass Rose, special spa appointments, special seating at shows, free dry cleaning, laundry, the keys to the wine cellar, you know, that sort of stuff.

Mary

Hi Mary! My view of the ship is quite a bit different. IMO, the entire ship is First Class. Also IMO, airlines have nothing remotely in common with cruise lines so I won't go there.

Comparing Regent with Oceania seems to be a repetitive theme here - one that does not make sense to me since Regent and Oceania are not even in the same class. On Oceania, you cannot order a hot breakfast from room service if you are not in a certain suite level. Some staterooms can enter the Concierge Lounge while higher suites can enter the Executive Lounge (for Regent folks that haven't been on Oceania, these are places with glass doors so that people in the lower class can look in but not enter). While it is not stated on the Oceania website, top suite guests have indicated that they get priority tender boarding. Boarding isn't just priority like Regent now has ...... there are different times and different lines for 3-4 levels of staterooms/suites (some as late as 2:30 p.m. if I remember correctly). I could expand on this but this is a Regent thread so I'm illustrating some differences so posters may stick with comparisons of Regent to other luxury lines rather than non-luxury lines such as Oceania.

Mary, you mentioned 'free laundry" as something that could concern you. Well, that will happen on several 2018 cruises and is of concern to those of us that have reached Gold and above.

The path Regent seems to be taking is illustrated by:

1. Around a year ago, everyone got included internet. This slowed the internet service down to a level where it is unusable some of the time. More importantly, this was a benefit that Gold Seven Seas Society members looked forward to achieving.

2. 2017 (guessing the date) Gold Seven Seas Society members started getting an included bag of laundry per week. This diluted the earned benefits of Platinum and above members but likely made up for giving everyone internet.

3. Sometime in 2017 Grand Suites and Master Suites (different suites on Explorer) can dine every night in a specialty restaurant if they choose to do so, While an "invisible" benefit, this obviously takes away reservations from passengers not in these suites and were hoping for a second dining reservation in these venues.

4. November 2017 - priority boarding for guests in Seven Seas suites and above (not done discreetly).

5. December 2017 - announcement that many 2018 sailings will include laundry service for all suite levels making any goal of being Gold and above fairly useless.

There is a definite pattern here. Regent is taking the most important (to passengers) benefits from the Seven Seas Society and giving them away to sell suites to people that may only sail Regent one time.

Travelcat2 re your previous post with the itemised changes currently underway, I would suspect the included laundry being offered on some cruises are only due to the slow/poor sales of those particular cruises.

It may just be a new approach by Regent to fill the cruise after all they are a business in a current climate where everyone is cutting back?

They are obviously seeing a need to make changes to keep ships running at full capacity.

Personally being at gold level it doesn’t upset me and neither does the boarding system. It wouldn’t stop me cruising with Regent at present, but the increasing prices might. Jean.

Nice to hear from you, Jacqui. (Hope I got that right.) Congratulations on attaining Titanium. Enjoy the well earned benefits. I agree with you that Regent is first class. That is what we are paying for because we like it. However, if it becomes noticeably obvious certain suites have a different lifestyle, let's say like NCL's Haven, it may not be able to retain that label. Many ships have an elite ship within them, with no apologies. More cash begets more stuff, and priority everything. It is also true in that situation. loyalty can and does slip in importance. We sailed on Explorer twice this year, and our next cruise on her is in March 2019, the TA Miami/Lisbon.

Mary

Right now I am sitting in my cabin on Crystal . I get free internet but either pay for or do laundry. Something new after about 10 years. I am on two months on Regent starting in Jan. I am rhe king the laundry GODS that I get laundry finally. How can one stay on a ship for two months without laundry.

I get the fact that some people worked their way up the ranks and I get a brunch of perks for getting a PH and laundry.

But I have always believed a PH or above s Hoyle get laundry.

I have been on that Oceania ship and the lounge was very helpful to me.

Jean - appreciate your comments but, as stated previously, people raised outside of the U.S. (including my DH) don't understand the big deal about having a 'class system' (nor do people that sail cruise lines that are not true luxury lines). While I understand your point of view, Regent is a U.S. based cruise line whose competition is Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea (and yes - I do know that people in Silver Suites and above receive free laundry but it is not in their loyalty program). IMO, Regent is lowering themselves to the level of premium and below cruise lines with this new policy. Additionally, they are ignoring their loyal customers - many who do care about being excluded from this policy.

Mary - you mentioned that people in certain suites have a different lifestyle. Could you elaborate? In the past year and a half we have stayed in a Concierge Suite, non-Concierge Suite, Penthouse Suite, Grand Suite (twice) and a Master Suite. My lifestyle isn't any different when we are in any of the suites. The only difference is that we have more room in the larger suites and can dine in the specialty restaurants every night in the Grand and Master Suites - something that we don't do (when we dine in the specialty restaurants more than twice we are aware that we are probably making it difficult for someone not in a top suite to get a reservation).

elbon - Tell me if I have this right. You are a Crystal cruiser that will be on Regent two months and you will have free laundry for the entire two months? I wasn't aware of cruises that had free laundry except in the Med. I did hear that there were more but am interested in the ship and itinerary that you'll be doing. Thanks much.

Jean - appreciate your comments but, as stated previously, people raised outside of the U.S. (including my DH) don't understand the big deal about having a 'class system' (nor do people that sail cruise lines that are not true luxury lines). While I understand your point of view, Regent is a U.S. based cruise line whose competition is Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea (and yes - I do know that people in Silver Suites and above receive free laundry but it is not in their loyalty program). IMO, Regent is lowering themselves to the level of premium and below cruise lines with this new policy. Additionally, they are ignoring their loyal customers - many who do care about being excluded from this policy.

Mary - you mentioned that people in certain suites have a different lifestyle. Could you elaborate? In the past year and a half we have stayed in a Concierge Suite, non-Concierge Suite, Penthouse Suite, Grand Suite (twice) and a Master Suite. My lifestyle isn't any different when we are in any of the suites. The only difference is that we have more room in the larger suites and can dine in the specialty restaurants every night in the Grand and Master Suites - something that we don't do (when we dine in the specialty restaurants more than twice we are aware that we are probably making it difficult for someone not in a top suite to get a reservation).

elbon - Tell me if I have this right. You are a Crystal cruiser that will be on Regent two months and you will have free laundry for the entire two months? I wasn't aware of cruises that had free laundry except in the Med. I did hear that there were more but am interested in the ship and itinerary that you'll be doing. Thanks much.

Jacqui, I was not talking about Regent now. I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was referring tp our experiences on NCL Villas, Queens and Princess Grills on QM2. When we lived in NYC, that's how it was. My idea is Regent may end up this way: It was clear from the first moment that we boarded those ships that we were special, in front of everybody. The only time there wasn't some obvious difference at work was when we went down to the food courts or other venues. We don't like flying. That's why we haven't returned to QM2 and we reconnected with Oceania here in Miami and haven't rejoined NCL. We very much prefer Oceania and Regent to those two brands and we are Diamond on Cunard. When some passengers get preferred dining, and many other perks, they live differently. They have a different lifestyle. If we never can get a second shot at our favorite restaurants, we will balk next time. We are supposed to be first class. We will ask what does that mean? If my meaning is still unclear, let me know. We have sailed everything that floats, and some were more realistic than others. By the way, Merry Christmas!

Mary

No, I am an Azamara cruiser who is testing the waters onCrystal. I was on Regent in 2011 and wanted to all of S America. Regent at the time had a RT Mia cruise. Since was changed due to dry dock ..now I have to fly out if Rio. Hate Rio. Because of my past cruise and the two months in Regent this winter I become Gold while on the ship. All I know is I have in writing I get laundry.

Crystral does not give laundry unless on Deck 11 in a CS , maybe a PH suite. Just tired of running around doing laundry.i hand wash a lot.

Cruise is MIA tomRio on the Mariner.

No, I am an Azamara cruiser who is testing the waters onCrystal. I was on Regent in 2011 and wanted to all of S America. Regent at the time had a RT Mia cruise. Since was changed due to dry dock ..now I have to fly out if Rio. Hate Rio. Because of my past cruise and the two months in Regent this winter I become Gold while on the ship. All I know is I have in writing I get laundry.

Crystral does not give laundry unless on Deck 11 in a CS , maybe a PH suite. Just tired of running around doing laundry.i hand wash a lot.

Cruise is MIA tomRio on the Mariner.

Thank you for the clarification. I really dislike Rio as well - what a shame that they switched you to embark in that port! In addition to all of their issues, you need a Brazilian visa which is so costly.

So, do you have it in writing from your TA or Regent that you get included laundry? Since you are Gold, you are entitled to one bag per week. Assume that this is what you are referring to. Trying to verify that this is not a promotional cruise.

Jacqui, I was not talking about Regent now. I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was referring tp our experiences on NCL Villas, Queens and Princess Grills on QM2. When we lived in NYC, that's how it was. My idea is Regent may end up this way: It was clear from the first moment that we boarded those ships that we were special, in front of everybody. The only time there wasn't some obvious difference at work was when we went down to the food courts or other venues. We don't like flying. That's why we haven't returned to QM2 and we reconnected with Oceania here in Miami and haven't rejoined NCL. We very much prefer Oceania and Regent to those two brands and we are Diamond on Cunard. When some passengers get preferred dining, and many other perks, they live differently. They have a different lifestyle. If we never can get a second shot at our favorite restaurants, we will balk next time. We are supposed to be first class. We will ask what does that mean? If my meaning is still unclear, let me know. We have sailed everything that floats, and some were more realistic than others. By the way, Merry Christmas!

Mary

Okay - I get it now. We 'accidentally' began our cruising lives with a luxury cruise line (Paul Gauguin when it was part of Regent). It was the itinerary (Tahiti) and the ship that interested us. I don't recall knowing that it was part of a luxury cruise line. At that time it was not all-inclusive but we had wine at lunch and dinner. We thought it was the best vacation that we ever had. Note: This followed almost 20 years of international vacations on our own - using frequent flyer miles to get wherever we were going. During those years we stayed in many Club Med's and all-inclusive resorts in places like Agadir, Morocco, Phuket Thailand, Mexico, etc. This was all that we knew. Obviously, the PG was an eye opener. Amazing service and over the top food.

We felt that Regent was the best thing since sliced bread and soon became spoiled......... until Radisson/Regent was sold to PCH (Prestige Cruise Holdings). They started changing things and calling it better than it was. We didn't see how it was better but stayed with Regent. When they started the concierge program, we decided to try another cruise line (specifically Silversea). We liked Silversea but loved Regent and have had to adapt to the changes that occurred. The thought of going to a mainstream cruise line with a section that is "luxury" never appealed to us.

Finally, it seemed that Regent "had it right" (with one notable exception - included excursions). We even learned to accept included excursions - even though we cancel most of them and prefer Regent Choice excursions. What is happening now is mind boggling ....... one thing after another is changing for reasons that we do not understand. Okay - so itineraries aren't selling well in the Med. and Alaska. I get it. However, giving away earned benefits is not going to insure continued loyalty. After all, the competition (Silver and Seabourn) have new ships that can be quite appealing to Regent regulars. Plus, for people that like river cruising (not us), Crystal is a great choice. So, why is Regent alienating their regulars? (Don't expect you to know - just a rhetorical question).

Thank you for the clarification. I really dislike Rio as well - what a shame that they switched you to embark in that port! In addition to all of their issues, you need a Brazilian visa which is so costly.

So, do you have it in writing from your TA or Regent that you get included laundry? Since you are Gold, you are entitled to one bag per week. Assume that this is what you are referring to. Trying to verify that this is not a promotional cruise.

Getting off in Rio. Somewhere still packed it says laundry.with all my Regent paperwork.

Inswitch from mass market lines about eight years ago. But done four lines with under 1000 people. AZ and rhis line win. This line has three bars and a disco for music. But nomdinner time buffet.some nights I just want to,grab and g. So I get room service .

I have no problem with priority boarding for those in the higher grade suites, and it appears that this view is shared by over 60% of those who took part in this poll kindly posted by Bill. (Unlike some, I do not believe that the poll is 'skewed'; If non Regent cruisers have voted it is likely that their votes would be equally shared across the voting categories).

We do not book the named suites as we are more than happy with Penthouse and below on Regent ships. However for those who wish to spend their money on the higher grades we have no problem in them being afforded priority boarding and other perks. As long as Regent make things clear up front, tell us what time to turn up for embarkation and have a tasty burger and glass of NZ Sauvignon Blanc ready for us on the Pool Deck (weather permitting) we will remain happy bunnies.

We are happy with our SSS benefits that we receive as Platinum members and do not feel envious of additional perks afforded to those who have risen to the higher SSS levels, those who choose to spend more on their accommodation or those embarking on a World Cruise or Grand Voyage.

I cannot help being highly amused by the various posts perpetuating the outdated myth that all us British (and other Europeans) live in a country where everyone goes around doffing their caps and touching their forelocks to the aristocracy.

Methinks someone has been watching too much Downton Abbey and The Crown. It reminded me of a famous sketch:

The old British class system was based on birth, breeding and manners. No offence intended but, as I understand it, the American system is purely based on wealth, so I can fully understand a US cruise-line adopting a system of 'the more you pay, the more you get'.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/american-class-system-and-structure-definitions-types-of-social-classes.html

Edited by flossie009

I have no problem with priority boarding for those in the higher grade suites, and it appears that this view is shared by over 60% of those who took part in this poll kindly posted by Bill. (Unlike some, I do not believe that the poll is 'skewed'; If non Regent cruisers have voted it is likely that their votes would be equally shared across the voting categories).

We do not book the named suites as we are more than happy with Penthouse and below on Regent ships. However for those who wish to spend their money on the higher grades we have no problem in them being afforded priority boarding and other perks. As long as Regent make things clear up front, tell us what time to turn up for embarkation and have a tasty burger and glass of NZ Sauvignon Blanc ready for us on the Pool Deck (weather permitting) we will remain happy bunnies.

We are happy with our SSS benefits that we receive as Platinum members and do not feel envious of additional perks afforded to those who have risen to the higher SSS levels, those who choose to spend more on their accommodation or those embarking on a World Cruise or Grand Voyage.

I cannot help being highly amused by the various posts perpetuating the outdated myth that all us British (and other Europeans) live in a country where everyone goes around doffing their caps and touching their forelocks to the aristocracy.

Methinks someone has been watching too much Downton Abbey and The Crown. It reminded me of a famous sketch:

The old British class system was based on birth, breeding and manners. No offence intended but, as I understand it, the American system is purely based on wealth, so I can fully understand a US cruise-line adopting a system of 'the more you pay, the more you get'.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/american-class-system-and-structure-definitions-types-of-social-classes.html

Good to see you back. I too have had a laugh reading so many of the recent posts on this and laundry. Hopefully you will stay.

Not sure where you are getting "over 60%" of passengers have no problem with priority boarding. According to the poll, only 35.63% have no problem with the policy while 38.75 % say "no way". The group that you are including in your calculation would not have a problem IF it were not flaunted which is definitely not the case with priority boarding.

I don't believe that anyone is jealous of those in higher suites or that are in the top levels of the Seven Seas Society - as we both are. These are earned benefits and if Regent removes earned benefits, I don't see the reason for the loyalty program.

I'm surprised that my rather off topic simple comment had such a reaction. I don't feel that the well traveled people on Regent think that the U.K is like Downton Abby or that the U.S. is based solely on money. The fact is that many people in the U.K. (including my DH) were raised with a class system and therefore a class system on a cruise line it is unlikely to bother them (especially the age group that sails on Regent). IMO, the most class oriented cruise line that has ever existed is Cunard (the cruise line that my DH came to the United States on). Their class system remains to this day, however, the lowest class no longer sleeps on hard steel framed beds with the bathroom down the hallway.

Edited by Travelcat2

Good to see you back. I too have had a laugh reading so many of the recent posts on this and laundry. Hopefully you will stay.

Same here. Great post, Flossie. Couldn’t agree more. It’s amusing to read the simplistic generalizations that reflect no basis in reality.

Oh boy, it's good to have you back! :D

Not sure where you are getting "over 60%" of passengers have no problem with priority boarding. According to the poll, only 35.63% have no problem with the policy while 38.75 % say "no way". The group that you are including in your calculation would not have a problem IF it were not flaunted which is definitely not the case with priority boarding.

I don't believe that anyone is jealous of those in higher suites or that are in the top levels of the Seven Seas Society - as we both are. These are earned benefits and if Regent removes earned benefits, I don't see the reason for the loyalty program.

I'm surprised that my rather off topic simple comment had such a reaction. I don't feel that the well traveled people on Regent think that the U.K is like Downton Abby or that the U.S. is based solely on money. The fact is that many people in the U.K. (including my DH) were raised with a class system and therefore a class system on a cruise line it is unlikely to bother them (especially the age group that sails on Regent). IMO, the most class oriented cruise line that has ever existed is Cunard (the cruise line that my DH came to the United States on). Their class system remains to this day, however, the lowest class no longer sleeps on hard steel framed beds with the bathroom down the hallway.

Oh Travelcat2 I didn’t realise there was an age group requirement to cruise with Regent?

I will be honest here we have been cruising since 2003. I am 57 and my husband is 56, are we in the age catchment required?

I am not being rude here but I really don’t see age as the criteria for Regent cruisers. Jean.

I generally only post once on a thread like this but since one party has now posted over 30 times, I will go again.

I really wish Cruise Critic would add a Like button, I would like 164, 165 and 167..

It seems like the real problem is the displeasure of some that the perks they "earned" by loyalty can be "purchased" and this somehow diminishes their experience..As I said in an earlier post, I do not see it as the end of civilization or the doom of Regent to offer both solutions. I still work full time and do not have the time to get 50-60 ship nights a year. Is it so wrong that I would be willing to purchase unlimited laundry by taking a bigger suite? I am Gold, get one free bag a week, but on some trips if would be helpful to have an unlimited. offering.. I understand that loyalty perks are getting diluted, but it becomes harder to do unique things for the "high value customers" versus "long term loyalty customers" when you keep adding perks that customers want.

Back to the original question about priority boarding. I read the results as neutral, Most either don't care or don't mind if it is not in your face. Obviously what is "in your face" is subjective and varies depending on who you are.. I already posted that it seems more silly than serious, which most marketing is. I reposted as the thread has morphed into a bigger discussion of whether this priority boarding will turn into a slippery slope to classes. Here is a news flash for some of you. There are already classes on board. High end suite guests have always gotten preferred treatment. On my Regent cruise after they added Prime 7 to Navigator (Dec 2007), one party in the top suite ate there every night.. The only night they came to Compass Rose was to dine with Captain McNeil. Their special treatment did not impact me at all, as. I ate in P7 twice over 12 nights and that was plenty.. Some people complain that all inclusive should be bigger (ie adding laundry) while others lament paying for what they do not use (excursions or liquor for non-drinkers). In the end, Regent management will do what they think is best for their shareholders. to fill the ships and make money. When they set the rules, we get to vote with our pocketbook, which is the real election. My guess is that a silly VIP carpet isn't going to move the needle much one way or the other.

I would think that as it is the time for good cheer, for a variety of reasons it would be nice if DelRio could come onto CC and perhaps reassure some very loyal customers if his vision for Regent has changed.It would not surprise me one bit and he has every right to do as he pleases and aim the brand in the direction that he wants. The flip side of this is that it would be a kindness to some of the most ardent supporters of Regent to be given a heads up so that they don't feel like they have been thrown under the bus despite being some of the best free advertising that a company could ever have. We started with Radisson and liked everything about it. It was our choice to try Silversea as things changed on Regent. We enjoy Silversea and Regent very much but we do not feel wedded to either line....emotionally or financially. When people are promised certain things and invest in certain things, I can see why some would feel used and somewhat angry.

I would think that as it is the time for good cheer, for a variety of reasons it would be nice if DelRio could come onto CC and perhaps reassure some very loyal customers if his vision for Regent has changed.It would not surprise me one bit and he has every right to do as he pleases and aim the brand in the direction that he wants. The flip side of this is that it would be a kindness to some of the most ardent supporters of Regent to be given a heads up so that they don't feel like they have been thrown under the bus despite being some of the best free advertising that a company could ever have. We started with Radisson and liked everything about it. It was our choice to try Silversea as things changed on Regent. We enjoy Silversea and Regent very much but we do not feel wedded to either line....emotionally or financially. When people are promised certain things and invest in certain things, I can see why some would feel used and somewhat angry.

fizzy - agree with you but Jason Montague President and CEO of Regent runs Regent now. Frank Del Rio is still CEO of NCLH but is not involved in the day to day running of Regent. So, if Jason Montague came on the Regent board, that would be great!

This has been quite the amusing read. A few observations.

1. There is a lot of wailing about "visible" and "in your face" perks. Using these terms implies that you are one of two types of people: someone who is not receiving the perk and is resentful/jealous, or someone who is receiving it and feels shameful/guilty/embarrassed. My advice for the former is to stop caring about what others can afford and focus on enjoying yourself. My advice for the latter is don't use it if it bothers you. To use these perks and then scream about how unfair they are is simply hypocritical and silly.

2. Speaking of hypocrisy, how has no one caught on that those complaining of a class system in this thread also are arguing for perks based on loyalty status? Is the loyalty program itself not also a division of class? I have loved my three Regent cruises just as much as a high loyalty member has loved their multitude. But if I save up for a couple years to treat myself to one sailing in a nice cabin is it not elitist for a higher loyalty class member to say I'm not allowed to have the perks that come with it simply because I can't afford to cruise as often as they do?

3. I shake my head every time I read about someone 'working hard' to 'earn' a particular status. You're on vacation being waited on hand and foot. No one ever had to suffer or sacrifice to make the next loyalty tier so stop acting like the added perks were so hard-won.

4. It is funny to see how some find ways to argue against data when it doesn't go their way. It sounds like we have settled on the poll being equally split. In case you couldn't tell already my vote would be for Yes.

At the end of the day Regent is going to do what is best for Regent. With the exception of a very select few we are all just dollars and cents to them so they don't really care whether a few people are bothered by some new policy or other. Let it go and just enjoy your life and vacation.

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;*

courage to change the things I can;*

and wisdom to know the difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app