Priority Boarding for Upper Suites, Poll and Discussion

UUNetBill

Should there be priority boarding for passengers in upper suites?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be priority boarding for passengers in upper suites?

• Absoultely - they paid the big bucks, they should be treated like VIPs.
    • I don't see why not, as long as it's not flaunted.
    • No way - everyone on Regent is a VIP - the extra money paid is only for a larger cabin, mostly.
    • What's 'Priority Boarding'??

Tc, per your post this morning: I voted in the poll, but had no wish to discuss the issue. (I would have gone on too long.) In other words, the fact that there are more people who voted than who discussed doesn't necessarily mean that non-Regen customers voted in the poll.

Carnevale makes a good point (as have so many others).

(I wish I were on a ship!)

Bill, if you are still reading this, I believe that there is a way to do a poll where you can view the "CC names" of the people that voted. Do you think that it is worth redoing the poll - leaving out the second choice since it really isn't relevant? IMO, this is a yes or no choice - based on how the policy is working - not what we wish it could be.

BTW, the pre-boarding benefits are now on the Regent website when you look up the upper suites.

I know quite a few Regent cruisers who follow this board but for a number of reasons, either never post or post quite infrequently - some of them voted but did not find it necessary to make additional comments.

I wonder if the polling had gone the other way if there would be the same argument to re-do the polling with names of the voters?

gnomie :)

I know quite a few Regent cruisers who follow this board but for a number of reasons, either never post or post quite infrequently - some of them voted but did not find it necessary to make additional comments.

I wonder if the polling had gone the other way if there would be the same argument to re-do the polling with names of the voters?

gnomie :)

Exactly Gnomie. Agree with your post. Jean.

The poll is just fine in terms of results - especially since people voting that it is okay as long as it is done discreetly can be counted as a “NO” since that is not the case.

I simply would like to see who voted. Must say that I do not believe that more than half of the votes are from Regent regulars but, at the end of the day, none of this matters. The policy is in effect and I’ll enjoy pre-boarding the Voyager in March!!!:cool:

I'll be first. My name is David. Have sailed oh Regent 9 times. Put me down in favor. Now, It's out there.

Any body else?

I’ve only sailed with Regent once, the Explorer in the Med last year, but we did indeed have a wonderful cruise. Put me down against. So long as it’s not inordinately small, cabin size isn’t an issue for us, and on this cruise we booked a beautiful concierge level Veranda. For what we paid, I think I would have been a bit insulted to watch them lay out a little red carpet and usher suite passengers in first, as if it were more a mass market class oriented line like Cunard. Regent should be above this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe I should start a new poll to see if we need a new poll...

That would give me the opportunity to actually start a 'valid' poll, I guess.

Please don't lose sight of the fact that this thread was started purely to move the discussion of priority boarding from a live cruise thread to a more targeted location and get a rough idea of how people felt about it. It wasn't meant to be scientific or the 'be all, end all' of Regent polls.

If anyone wants to start a more properly structured poll and include display names, I'd gladly vote and comment on that thread instead. If there's a need for it, I'm sure someone will happily step up...and if we do get a new poll, would the mods please lock this one? Thanks.

Spinning off from this discussion in another thread, let's discuss priority boarding for upper category suites (generally the 'named' suites, I assume?) on Regent.

We've heard pros and cons of this practice, with several people comparing this to airline boarding and other cruise lines. Proponents of this practice say that people paying for higher level suites should get this perk as part of their fare, while others say that the larger suite and butlers offset the cost.

Some say that Regent passengers should all *visibly* be treated the same, i.e. no bennies that would be "in the face" of other passengers in the lower suites (like me, for instance). Others feel that a class system is well and good - if ya got it, flaunt it.

Obviously there will be some disagreement on this - I'm interested in seeing who thinks what, and why.

I'll start: One of the things I've always liked about Regent is the feeling of all being one gang - one happy group of travelers. Although I know there are people in larger suites with butlers, I don't see that - once we're outside of our cabins, it's all the same - and I kind of like that. I guess even though I know that there are additional perks such as additional dining reservations and whatnot, it doesn't affect me that much since I don't 'see' it. But I think a separate line to whisk an elite group of passengers aboard while others wait - well, that's kind of 'in your face' in my opinion. If they had a way to handle it more discreetly, I could probably get on board with it (no pun intended).

So...please, discuss.

It's pretty much the same on sister line Oceania.

IMO, who cares? Just not that big a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, if we are going to beat this dead horse to death lets include names, level you have reached, etc in order to do a proper data analysis on the results. In my opinion, half the people are fine with it, half of the people don't like it and that group in the middle really don't care because they have more important things to think about. (I was one of them.)

Well, if we are going to beat this dead horse to death lets include names, level you have reached, etc in order to do a proper data analysis on the results. In my opinion, half the people are fine with it, half of the people don't like it and that group in the middle really don't care because they have more important things to think about. (I was one of them.)

Same here. More important things to worry about in the grand scheme of things than who gets to board first. Who cares.

Same here. More important things to worry about in the grand scheme of things than who gets to board first. Who cares.

I don’t think any of us are losing sleep over this, but this thread brought up the issue, and solicited our opinions, so I’m not sure your dismissiveness is warranted. Of course there are more important things in life to worry about! But that’s not what this thread is about, is it?

The poll is just fine in terms of results - especially since people voting that it is okay as long as it is done discreetly can be counted as a “NO” since that is not the case.

I simply would like to see who voted. Must say that I do not believe that more than half of the votes are from Regent regulars but, at the end of the day, none of this matters. The policy is in effect and I’ll enjoy pre-boarding the Voyager in March!!!:cool:

I have to question as to why you would need or desire to see who had voted?

This is really just getting to the laughable stage, is it really worth worrying about? Jean.

I don’t think any of us are losing sleep over this, but this thread brought up the issue, and solicited our opinions, so I’m not sure your dismissiveness is warranted. Of course there are more important things in life to worry about! But that’s not what this thread is about, is it?

As usual, you hit the nail on the head. Discussing is always a good thing (as long as no one gets bashed). Obviously this issue was important to some people. If it is not of interest, not sure why someone would post. While my interest has waned, I do hope that posters will realize that Regent is not Oceania and heaven forbid Regent adopt their class-oriented policies. Perhaps that is a discuss for another time.

Maybe I should start a new poll to see if we need a new poll...

That would give me the opportunity to actually start a 'valid' poll, I guess.

Please don't lose sight of the fact that this thread was started purely to move the discussion of priority boarding from a live cruise thread to a more targeted location and get a rough idea of how people felt about it. It wasn't meant to be scientific or the 'be all, end all' of Regent polls.

If anyone wants to start a more properly structured poll and include display names, I'd gladly vote and comment on that thread instead. If there's a need for it, I'm sure someone will happily step up...and if we do get a new poll, would the mods please lock this one? Thanks.

I thank you again Bill for starting this thread. To remind others TC raised her concerns about the early boarding during her Amazon cruise thread, and to try to keep her thread on track Bill separated the subject. He did not offer to do a statistically valid poll. He put together a poll but the main thing was to get people to add their views on the subject. There is obviously a difference of opinion among our CC posters. We DON'T need another poll. IMHO, the thread accomplished what Bill intended, that is took it out of TCs thread and initiated interesting conversation about the subject.

I thank you again Bill for starting this thread. To remind others TC raised her concerns about the early boarding during her Amazon cruise thread, and to try to keep her thread on track Bill separated the subject. He did not offer to do a statistically valid poll. He put together a poll but the main thing was to get people to add their views on the subject. There is obviously a difference of opinion among our CC posters. We DON'T need another poll. IMHO, the thread accomplished what Bill intended, that is took it out of TCs thread and initiated interesting conversation about the subject.

Agree - Bill was kind enough to start the poll and I appreciate that. I also appreciate the input. However, IMO, the poll is not "statically valid" for many reasons - not the least of which is that the second category which highlights the fact that Regent passengers would not mind IF it was not flaunted which, unfortunately, is not the case. Those votes could swing the majority quite dramatically (but, another vote would not solve anything).

As I read TC's comment about the special carpet for the named suites I couldn't believe what I was reading. Did they roll up the carpet before the others could board? That is hilarious and in my view tacky.

We boarded today in Miami but boarding was delayed until close to 1pm. We boarded in classless groups based on arrival at registration.

Ka Honu, I've missed your posts here. Welcome back.

This sort of " in your face" elitism is why we quit mainstream cruising.

Many years ago we cruised Holland America in their Neptune suites. On a South American cruise we had a pre-cruise 5 day Machu Picchu small group tour. It was a great and friendly tour. Subsequently, while on the ship the Neptune suite passengers were treated to a private cocktail party held in a very public bar behind velvet ropes. Two of our pre-tour friends spotted us and undid the ropes to join us. It was extremely awkward and made worse when staff told them to leave.

We never sailed mainstream again and for the past 15 years have varied between Regent and Crystal for the precise reason of mutual luxury enjoyment and treatment. Shame on Regent. We will only be sailing Crystal now.

I didn't "vote" because I didn't realise one should be actually voting. But had I voted I would have voted to KEEP the priority boarding for top suites. It works really well on Oceania and I see no reason why it wouldn't work well on Regent nor do I see any problem with it. In fact I think it is a very good thing.

Gerry

I didn't "vote" because I didn't realise one should be actually voting. But had I voted I would have voted to KEEP the priority boarding for top suites. It works really well on Oceania and I see no reason why it wouldn't work well on Regent nor do I see any problem with it. In fact I think it is a very good thing.

Gerry

I just go back to the question "Why should a possible one-time Regent customer who drops an extra few grand get a benefit that a long-time Gold or Platinum (or higher) cruiser doesn't?" You've got a possible one-and-done cruiser being treated 'better' than someone who has been loyal to Regent for 10, 20 years or more but just happens to prefer booking a PH. IMO, the upper level SSS members should receive priority boarding before someone who just happened to book a 'named' cabin. After all, they're the ones who have spent tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars with Regent. And what about people who have been bumped from a lower GTY cabin, or someone who took a deal on an upsell? They may have actually ended up paying less for their upper level cabin. Do they still get priority boarding?

True, in the grand scheme of things, whether you board at 12:00 or 2:00 is a very minor thing...but when you start alienating your established customer base with policies like this, it's a problem. I just think Regent needs to give these things more thought before they roll them out...and you absolutely, positively, definitely need to include Platinum and above members in any of these programs, too.

I mean, my wife and I are just Gold, but I hate to think of how much money we've spent to enjoy a few weeks every year aboard a Regent ship. We usually book 'F' cabins or thereabouts, with the occasional foray into PH or named suites - and I'll be honest, it kind of irks me that first-time Regent cruisers are getting priority boarding and included laundry on some itineraries - perks that I've never received in my 8 years of cruising on Regent. Maybe I'm petty, but that's the way I feel. We specifically chose Regent initially because there was no 'us and them' mentality. I just hate to see that going away.

We just completed our first Regent cruise, which we enjoyed immensely. I also voted 'yes' in this poll.

These lines were in place for our cruise, and to me, it made no difference. But it being our first Regent cruise, I didn't know any better. There were so few passengers in the priority lines that it really was not an issue at all. They were empty most of the time.

I do recognize that for some of the seasoned Regent customers, it is a more sensitive issue. However, in my opinion, this is something that is occurring off the ship. Once you've boarded, it's done, and the privilege is over. This is not some sort of on-board change that would be a constant reminder throughout the cruise.

Also, I do not see a benefit in conducting an additional poll.

My reaction to RJ2002's comment that the special lines were empty most of the time is that if all the lines were open for everyone, everyone would have boarded quicker . . . . .

Just a thought.

Peggy

As a point of clarification, at least for our embarkation, there did not appear to be dedicated agents soley for the upper suite lines. Anyone in those lines were processed by the next available agent. During the time we were waiting for check-in (perhaps 20-30 minutes), I think I saw maybe 3 upper suite passengers show up.