Priority Boarding for Upper Suites, Poll and Discussion

UUNetBill

Should there be priority boarding for passengers in upper suites?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be priority boarding for passengers in upper suites?

• Absoultely - they paid the big bucks, they should be treated like VIPs.
    • I don't see why not, as long as it's not flaunted.
    • No way - everyone on Regent is a VIP - the extra money paid is only for a larger cabin, mostly.
    • What's 'Priority Boarding'??

I've read this thread with great interest. We are still to take our first cruise with Regent [but it is booked] and must admit the classless society appealed to us, but the very fact that different levels of loyalty [please correct me if I'm wrong] receive perks does create a vestige of a them and us scenario.

This does not bother us at all, along with priority boarding of a plane. As our years advance, I'm much happier flying business class overnight and will opt for these flights IF the price is right, but I cannot see why people rush to board a tin can first. Even business class to my mind is not worth boarding anything up to 30 minutes earlier than i need to. I'd rather sit in the lounge or stretch my legs for that time.

The biggest bonus of flying business class to me is being allowed off first, giving me a fighting chance of not being stuck at the back of a big queue at immigration.

Anyway, I digress. Should people in a higher suite be allowed to board first? If it is done subtlety, I haven't got a problem with it [there are different check in desks for the different classes on a plane] so could they not adopt a similar system. There are less top end suites, so their wait in line to board would be shorter, than those in penthouse suite, to a verandah suite, and like in an airport, if there is no one checking in at the higher end desks, the next in line would be called across.

Just a thought, but I might be in a better position to comment once we take our cruise.

I'm not so concerned about boarding time but I wish those of us in Veranda and "below" didn't have quite as many shifts on the oars, especially since the "upper suite" passengers don't have to row at all unless they choose to do so in the gym (which has chilled water and a much better view).

To be fair, I've come to look at it as a health benefit, but still...

This has to be one of the best posts that I have seen in years!! :D

I figure that I would go steerage if at all anyhow. But wasn't planning on having to row! :evilsmile:

We are booked for April on Explorer so haven't sailed yet. My favorite way to start a cruise on SS was with a glass of bubbles in the buffet lunch. You can't do that if you are in "steerage" and thus not allowed to board until 2:30.

Sof if the big suites want to board at 11 and still let me on at noon, I"m OK with that. I'm not OK with giving up my lunch and bubbles.

M

I'm not so concerned about boarding time but I wish those of us in Veranda and "below" didn't have quite as many shifts on the oars, especially since the "upper suite" passengers don't have to row at all unless they choose to do so in the gym (which has chilled water and a much better view).

To be fair, I've come to look at it as a health benefit, but still...

Your post was hilarious - thanks for a breath of fresh air.

Note: For those of you voting "I don't see why not, as long as it's not flaunted" and have not yet experienced this new policy, it is IN YOUR FACE (sorry for yelling). There is nothing subtle about it ...... if you are not in a Seven Seas suite or above, you can watch the few that are walk past you and check in.

Also, I want to repeat that we are not affected by this policy. Our concern is that everyone be treated the same outside of your suite. Someone posted that there is nowhere on the Regent website does it say that everyone is teated the same outside of your suite. This is true! However, Frank Del Rio, CEO of Regent's parent company did care about this subject. He is the one that reversed the priority boarding on Regent in the first place. So, it behooves you to vote for yourself - not against me or anyone that has enjoyed years of being treated equal on Regent.

P.S. My DH and other people from the U.K. are used to the "class system" and most likely will agree with this policy for various reasons (not a slam - it is what it is). However, since most/many passengers are from North America, this is a difficult pill to swallow.

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat,

On your other thread, you stated "Allowing upper suites to go to their suite at 1:00 p.m. instead of 2:30 p.m. is a great perk and one that is not visible to other guests"

I disagree that it is not visible. On our last cruise, at 1:00, they announced several times over the speaker system that guests in upper suites and those who were Titanium were allowed to go to their cabins. and that all other cabins would be available at about 2:30.

That announcement made it very 'visible". I don't mind that it happens, but it is visible.

Other than that, I agree that they have always treated guests the same once outside their cabin...and, hopefully, that will continue.

We are in the camp of "you pay more, you get more." That would be whether it's cabin size or airline seat size. I don't feel that there is anything wrong with that.

I also agree with Fizzy and Pamela1 here. If someone is paying double what I am paying for my suite, and they get on the ship an hour or two ahead of me, it doesn't bother me a bit. I will enjoy every minute of my cruise anyway. I didn't try to research how long ago they posted this change, however the current RSSC website shows the following cabins have a noon embarkation:

Navigator, Voyager, Mariner-Master, Grand Suites

Explorer-Regent, Master, Grand, Explorer

As I read TC's comment about the special carpet for the named suites I couldn't believe what I was reading. Did they roll up the carpet before the others could board? That is hilarious and in my view tacky.

We boarded today in Miami but boarding was delayed until close to 1pm. We boarded in classless groups based on arrival at registration.

Ka Honu, I've missed your posts here. Welcome back.

It is really a shame. I've seen a person get on a bus for an excursion with a walker -- get the front seat on the bus -- leave the walker on the bus and walk out on their excursion. Of course, this happens all the time on airlines. Perhaps people should have a card indicating that they have mobility issues. We should't need something like that but people seem to want to get away with things nowadays.

I am one of "those people" who uses a walker, including on airplanes. Please do not accuse me of cheating unless you have attempted to maneuver a walker on a plane. I have not seen anyone "cheat" at being disabled in order to early board an airplane and I challenge your claim that it happens all the time Shame on YOU, not me.:(

We are booked for April on Explorer so haven't sailed yet. My favorite way to start a cruise on SS was with a glass of bubbles in the buffet lunch. You can't do that if you are in "steerage" and thus not allowed to board until 2:30.

On our last cruise, at 1:00, they announced several times over the speaker system that guests in upper suites and those who were Titanium were allowed to go to their cabins. and that all other cabins would be available at about 2:30.

MHF - It seems that only the cabin itself will not be available until about 2:30 instead of your concern that you won't be able to board the ship until 2:30. We enjoyed luncheon in La Veranda before going to our cabin, and we hope you will relax and enjoy luncheon and your "glass of bubbles" before doing the same.

Travelcat,

On your other thread, you stated "Allowing upper suites to go to their suite at 1:00 p.m. instead of 2:30 p.m. is a great perk and one that is not visible to other guests"

I disagree that it is not visible. On our last cruise, at 1:00, they announced several times over the speaker system that guests in upper suites and those who were Titanium were allowed to go to their cabins. and that all other cabins would be available at about 2:30.

That announcement made it very 'visible". I don't mind that it happens, but it is visible.

Other than that, I agree that they have always treated guests the same once outside their cabin...and, hopefully, that will continue.

What ship was that on? We have only cruised 2 times since the policy of allowing upper suite guests early access to their suite and it has never been announced (nor should it be). Not sure what is happening at Regent in terms of these class-oriented policies.

Eager2Travel - I couldn't believe it at first either. In Miami the area where we check in was roped off. Many of us were at the rope looking at the check-in desk and waiting for boarding to begin. Then the carpet and sign came out and upper suites boarded while everyone watched. I assume that the carpet was left there so if an upper suite guest arrived late. Also, there is the issue of busloads of passengers being delivered to the port from the hotel.....

I am one of "those people" who uses a walker, including on airplanes. Please do not accuse me of cheating unless you have attempted to maneuver a walker on a plane. I have not seen anyone "cheat" at being disabled in order to early board an airplane and I challenge your claim that it happens all the time Shame on YOU, not me.:(

I don't believe that Travelcat2 accused YOU of cheating in any way, shape or form. I think she was making an observation of scenarios that we have certainly observed. A Delta Airlines relative has us howling at times about stories regarding the NY to Florida runs that staff call "the miracle flights". Unfortunately, some of these people ruin it for people who actually need a little extra help. I thought I had read recently that one of the airlines was starting to require that anyone who boarded early due to mobility issues....scooters, wheelchairs etc., had to wait until everyone else deplanes upon landing for their own safety. As long as we have an assigned seat or cabin, we don't care so much about the push to be first but it can be quite amusing to relax and watch the scramble.

Quick note - Titanium Seven Seas Society members are also able to go to their suites at 1:00 p.m. Most of the people that we have sailed with (some with over 1,000 nights) sail in lower than Seven Seas Society Suites. IMO Regent is saying that a person that booked, for instance, a Master Suite one time should board before someone with 1,000 nights. Pretty easy to figure out who spent the most money with Regent.

fizzy - thank you for your explanation. That is exactly what I meant. I also said on the same thread that I would have no problem at all allowing people with mobility issues to have special boarding.

What is the advantage of select boarding anyway?

Wait until after 12pm to arrive at the terminal. Usually no crowds.

Walk in the door, no lines, check in, light lunch, or as I do, my Martini in the observation lounge. Almost always the suites are ready by 2pm.

What's the big deal? Already people in a tizzy for a little wait.

If the suites run a little past 2pm, +++. Another Martini:)

Your cruising.

Last month we boarded the Navigator in NYC around 12:30. We checked our bags and settled in for a drink and lunch. Suites were available at 2 p.m. I didn't hear any announcements about upper-level suites being available earlier.

TC, that red-carpet scenario sounded so tacky. We will never be able to afford to cruise in an upper suite, and that's fine with us. If upper suites are allowed to board early, it wouldn't impact us one way or the other, but the red carpet is too much, in my opinion. However, it's just a fleeting moment in time and would be quickly forgotten.

As long as Regent continues to treat each of us as a valued guest while we're on board, to me that's what's important. If upper-suite guests become more important to them than their loyal customers, and also first-time guests, in "lower" suites, then I'll think twice about cruising with them. After all, "I washed me face and 'ands before I come, I did!," to quote Eliza from My Fair Lady. I hope in Regent's eyes they never lose sight of how each and every customer is vitally important, not just in their bottom line, but in terms of human dignity.

I agree with UUNetBill, TC and the others opposed to this new Regent policy. Although I really don't care who gets to board first as long as we all get to board in time to relax I do object to the "in your face" class distinction this policy projects. This type of practice is a slippery slope. When they start to announce that the rest of us have to doff our caps and lower our eyes as the big spenders walk by on their carpet to board I will start looking for another cruise line.

I don't believe that a luxury cruise ship must be egalitarian, unless all suites are identical. Those who pay more receive more. That's always the way it is.

They DO receive more...a larger cabin, usually in a better location, and always with a butler.

Okay, let me stress that I am NOT going against what Jackie and others are saying! One statement that I am making is opinion, and one is fact.

Opinion - on the early boarding. Until you get into your suite, the "everybody is treated the same once you step outside your suite" can't be stated. AFTER you board is when that is supposed to come into play.

Fact - We sailed Navigator several times, two cruises were fairly close together. On the first one, Mark had grabbed a really good upsell and we were in the Master Suite. We sat at the same table in CR every night, a two-top among several other two-tops. Every night, the maitre de (I can't do the little marks) came by the table to check on us and make sure everything was going well for us. At that point, we had always sailed Master or Grand on Navigator, but the next cruise we decide to try a regular suite on Deck Six. Nobody ever came to our table to see if everything was going well for us. Was it coincidental, or did that Master Suite come into play? I didn't notice it at the time, but with all of this talk that has been going on lately, I have started to wonder. Since IF I ever manage to cruise Regent again, it won't be in a Grand or Master, I guess I'll never know the answer to my question.

I don't believe that a luxury cruise ship must be egalitarian, unless all suites are identical. Those who pay more receive more. That's always the way it is.

This has not been our experience - at least not on luxury cruise lines (except inside of your suite). However, it is the case on lower level cruise lines.

Admittedly I am a bit surprised how many Regent passengers are willing to go to the back of the line and are okay with a class system. So be it!

I am somewhat on the fence with this issue. We sail Regent in part because of the attitude of the passengers we have met that how much money you have is irrelevant, no one talks about it. Discussions are about things you have in common - travel etc. I have not meet anyone that talks about how expensive their suite is and all the extra perks they may get becasue of it. So I say that we do sail with people where we are "one gang of happy travelers" and i think that is a good thing.

Do i really have a problem with priority boarding, i would be a hippocrite if i said yes as we took advantage of it when we sailed mainstream lines on ships of 3000 people. On a ship of 700 that is likely less of an issue as it really doesn't take long for the boarding process. We have been on a busload of passenger all arriving at the same time and the boarding process was still pretty quick and painless.

If i am paying 1000+ per day to sail on Regent not in a named suite i am not going to be a happy person if i have to wait until mid afternoon to board. If i am delayed a few minutes while a person in a named suite boards no problem as long as it is not shoved in our face that we didn't spend enough money for Regent to care about our needs. Part of the cruise experience is to get on board in time to have a leisurely lunch and drink before the suite is available. I could care less if the upper suites get to go to their suites earlier than us. No problem.

I think it is a move in the wrong direction on Regent's part but it is their right to do so and the right of the passengers to take advantage of perks offered to them. It is the right of those that don't like it to shop around for a cruise line that meets their needs better if this is important to them. If Regent wants to take the chance of alienating loyal passengers for the sake of possible 1 time big spenders that is the gamble they have the right to take.

Bill i didn't vote in the poll as i am in the middle between 2 of the choices. I am not really at the'why not stage as long as they don't flaunt it' nor at the 'no they shouldn't'. I am more at the i don't think they should do it but can live with it if it is handled properly.

To us, priority boarding is only of importance on ships twice the capacity of Regent's, and larger. The boarding process on some 4000 guest ships is a circus, even if one has priority boarding. The attraction of many to Regent is that its ships are small enough not to have lines and crowds anywhere -- even at boarding. Regent needs to keep it that way.

We are in the camp of "you pay more, you get more." That would be whether it's cabin size or airline seat size. I don't feel that there is anything wrong with that.

Which sums up my feelings precisely.

I LIKE (a lot!) the system Oceania has... three "lanes" according to cabin reservation but when there are no people waiting in the Suite category anyone else waiting to board is waived forward. So in fact the system only gives priority to more expensive suites/cabins at the outset of the boarding process when people have arrived far earlier than they were instructed to arrive in the hope of getting on the ship sooner. Which they do...

On our last Oceania cruise we could not get to the port until 1500 which is when our train arrived from Switzerland. Boarding was due to have started at 1100 and by the time we arrived there was NO ONE waiting. We could have been in an inside cabin and still walked right on to the ship!

My experience on boarding Regent ships (and I have to say we have not sailed on Regent for 5 years now but are booked on a Regent cruise for 2020) is that a long queue forms outside the boarding area and at noon one is allowed in. Then everyone rushes to get in the queue - once at one port outside the USA number cards were passed out and then we were called up by "group" which made things a bit less hectic. And then once on board around 1400/1430 an announcement is made that the suites are ready. (Using suites here to mean cabins as is the Regent way). I do not like this "scrum". And I don't much like standing in a queue. I prefer to sit quietly until someone calls me forward. If Regent's plan to allow priority boarding makes boarding a more orderly process then for heaven's sake - why not?

But bottom line for me is I expect to be treated according to the category of suite I have booked. If I book a "normal" cabin I do not expect any perks. If I book a top suite - I do. Boarding is only one of them. There are dinner reservations in speciality restaurants, tour reservations etc etc. "High End" suites get priority for those and no one complains. So why not for boarding as well.