Currency of tips onboard

adstz

In addition to the standard gratuities, I usually tip the stateroom attendant in cash. That way, he or she can put it in their pocket. Whe; you use the envelopes, they go into the pooled tips. If someone goes over and above, I want them to get the tip and not share it.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this link might address some of the questions about on-board gratuities.

http://crew-center.com/cruise-ship-gratuities-increase-70-what-about-crew-members-salaries

"According to the spreadsheet of guests gratuities, the salaries of the crew members working in Housekeeping and Restaurant staff have increased by almost 70% since 2010. But this is not the case."

"Back in 2012 cruise lines decided to change the spread of gratuities and instead of dividing the amount between the waiter, assistant waiter, housekeeper and assistant housekeeper, they added other crew in the gratuities policy. Previously these other crew members were paid by the company, not from the guest's gratuities. Now I have to mention that not only Royal Caribbean but all the major cruise lines such as Carnival, Princess Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines etc. have raised the gratuities and adapted the new model of gratuities."

"If you ask any crewmember working in the housekeeping or dining room they will tell you that they made more money prior to 2012. Now they say the money they earn is less."

So it looks like the cruise lines have used tips to reduce their wages bill among workers who were previously paid directly by the company and hence those staff that rely on tips now have a smaller share.

I wonder if the Australian system of bundling gratuities into the total fare isn't actually better all round.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

I thought this link might address some of the questions about on-board gratuities.

http://crew-center.com/cruise-ship-gratuities-increase-70-what-about-crew-members-salaries

"According to the spreadsheet of guests gratuities, the salaries of the crew members working in Housekeeping and Restaurant staff have increased by almost 70% since 2010. But this is not the case."

"Back in 2012 cruise lines decided to change the spread of gratuities and instead of dividing the amount between the waiter, assistant waiter, housekeeper and assistant housekeeper, they added other crew in the gratuities policy. Previously these other crew members were paid by the company, not from the guest's gratuities. Now I have to mention that not only Royal Caribbean but all the major cruise lines such as Carnival, Princess Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines etc. have raised the gratuities and adapted the new model of gratuities."

"If you ask any crewmember working in the housekeeping or dining room they will tell you that they made more money prior to 2012. Now they say the money they earn is less."

So it looks like the cruise lines have used tips to reduce their wages bill among workers who were previously paid directly by the company and hence those staff that rely on tips now have a smaller share.

I wonder if the Australian system of bundling gratuities into the total fare isn't actually better all round.

Thanks Sinbad, I think whole US system of a retainer type salary and then supplementing that pay by tipping should be abandoned and people should be paid the total amount up front. It would mean an increase in fares but then the chances of this change happening is about as likely as the sky falling in.

Ok sorry to be a bit slow about this but work with me!!!! I am only new to this....Lol

So with that rationales, Australians pay their gratuities in their fares initially and then when it gets to the end of the cruise, a “service charge” or “gratuities fee” is added again?????

Therefore paying twice???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok sorry to be a bit slow about this but work with me!!!! I am only new to this....Lol

So with that rationales, Australians pay their gratuities in their fares initially and then when it gets to the end of the cruise, a “service charge” or “gratuities fee” is added again?????

Therefore paying twice???

On most Australian cruises, there are no gratuities as such. The local cruise lines did away with them several years ago, and at the same time increased fares to make up for the difference. This was because Australians generally hate tipping and many will go to great lengths to avoid paying it. It is assumed that when this happened the cruise lines increased the wages of staff to make up for the loss of tips. Although I don't think anybody knows for sure.

The comments above were that the cruise lines are skimping on the wages of their staff internationally by spreading the gratuities/tips between more and more staff. Thus the staff are getting stiffed under the conditions of international tipping, which seemed to me to make the Australian way of doing things fairer to the staff.

When sailing with cruise lines P&O, Carnival and Princess in Australia/NZ (and other lines, although there are usually complicating factors) there is no need to tip anybody at all. If you feel generous you can tip as much as you like to whoever you like, but it is neither expected nor necessary.

Paying twice is purely voluntary. You've already paid your gratuities/tips/service charge when you bought your ticket. Assuming you bought your ticket in Australia.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

When P&O and later Princess removed the auto gratuities (Princess in May 2011) they announced that the remuneration of the staff would be increased to what they were getting when the tips were being paid. From what I have seen, the stewards/waiters are only paid a token amount (I believe US$50 per month) with the balance made up of tips. When I saw a break-down of the distribution of tips, the cabin steward got one-third. Often they have 18 cabins. If you calculate how much they get per day, you will see they are doing quite well, much much better than they would do at any job in their home countries. However, they do not get holiday pay or long service leave. They do get free medical and medications, free transport to the ship and free uniforms. Laundry of company-supplied clothing is also free. These last couple of items are on Princess but I think it is likely that it applies across the industry.

When the tips were falling short on Australian-based cruises, P&O and Princess had to make up the shortfall. When they removed the tips, the cruise companies announced that it was because Australians were not comfortable with tipping, but I believe it was because the companies had to make up the shortfall too often.

I am sure that the remuneration of the stewards on the Australian-based ships was increased when auto-tips were taken off. Otherwise no-one would be prepared to work on these ships. The stewards tell us they love this system and many of them keep coming back to the Aussie-based ships.

On the thorny question of whether the stewards have to hand in cash tips on the ships where auto-gratuity applies - one steward told us that it depends on the Hotel Manager. At the time we were talking to him, he said that under the previous "boss" they had to put it into the pool, but under the new "boss", they could keep it. Maybe this is why we get different answers to this question from time to time.

(Sorry if my answer is a bit off topic.) On topic, cash tips in either US$ or the currency used in the country where the ship is based, would be the most appropriate. My personal opinion is on the Australian-based ships where tips have been included in the fare, passengers should not feel obliged to pay extra tips. If they do, a nominal amount would show appreciation of the service rendered. Of course, passengers filling out the commendation card is even more valuable to the staff member. These recommendations can give them a new contract, time off and even (on Princess) cash incentives.

Thanks Sinbad, I think whole US system of a retainer type salary and then supplementing that pay by tipping should be abandoned and people should be paid the total amount up front. It would mean an increase in fares but then the chances of this change happening is about as likely as the sky falling in.

don't americans want everything cheap, inc sip and sail promo's, bucket loads of OBC etc.

Now the cabin/MDR stewards expect to get money from the 'gratuity pool' and cash tips. Auto tipping started on the US ships, but the Americans continued to give them cash also and so the practice has spread.

IMO it should be one or the other, not both.:halo:

Now the cabin/MDR stewards expect to get money from the 'gratuity pool' and cash tips. Auto tipping started on the US ships, but the Americans continued to give them cash also and so the practice has spread.

IMO it should be one or the other, not both.:halo:

Depends on the cruise line I think, some staff members are quite happy with serving without expecting the extras.

Depends on the cruise line I think, some staff members are quite happy with serving without expecting the extras.

Princess are a bit greedy IMO. I leave our auto gratuities on, around US$26 per couple per diem and that's it. Costs us a lot to get on the ships, with flights, hotels etc.

We prefer these days to cruise from overseas, as after a couple of times to 'The Islands' and NZ, it all becomes a little boring and one has to seek more excitement, as we do.

Princess are a bit greedy IMO. I leave our auto gratuities on, around US$26 per couple per diem and that's it. Costs us a lot to get on the ships, with flights, hotels etc.

We prefer these days to cruise from overseas, as after a couple of times to 'The Islands' and NZ, it all becomes a little boring and one has to seek more excitement, as we do.

thats true but when you take into account the cost to get there, hotels etc then gratuities added on to your cruise can get quite expensive.

Same, some people let their greed get the better of them.

I cannot understand how some people will do almost anything to save some money to the detriment of the people supplying the service or product, if it goes too far, that same service or product will not be there to have in the future. It seems we are paying the same prices for cruises (brochure prices and not including cruise specials or price drops) as we were ten years or more ago. This means that cuts have been made to many areas apart from the efficiencies of scale.

[/color]

thats true but when you take into account the cost to get there, hotels etc then gratuities added on to your cruise can get quite expensive.

Yes, next 3 cruises, 33 days all up x US$13 x 2 = US$858, not insignificant.:(

How much as a percentage of total travel costs though?

To answer your question, probably 5% Mic. In that context 5% tip is not a lot.

Now I have upgraded to mini suites on all 3 upcoming Princess cruises, Sapphire x 2 and Royal x 1, I will have to ask the nice CC members to donate to my gratuity fund.:loudcry:

All contributions gratefully received.

Yes Uncle Mic, my auto tips to the Princess Automatic Wage Subsidy (AWS) fund will stay on.:halo:

To answer your question, probably 5% Mic. In that context 5% tip is not a lot.

Now I have upgraded to mini suites on all 3 upcoming Princess cruises, Sapphire x 2 and Royal x 1, I will have to ask the nice CC members to donate to my gratuity fund.:loudcry:

All contributions gratefully received.

Yes Uncle Mic, my auto tips to the Princess Automatic Wage Subsidy (AWS) fund will stay on.:halo:

Aren't mini suite tips a little extra? more like $16 p diem.