Currency of tips onboard

adstz

Aren't mini suite tips a little extra? more like $16 p diem.

Yes Mic, mini suites $14.50 per diem. Full suites $15.50. :evilsmile: Another couple of dollars a day from ye olde piggy bank. Reason I upgraded to minis is I do like them, the extra space is good and one can actually move in the shower. Fare restructure allowed us to go from balcony to mini suite for a reasonable sum. :halo:

Yes Mic, mini suites $14.50 per diem. Full suites $15.50. :evilsmile: Another couple of dollars a day from ye olde piggy bank. Reason I upgraded to minis is I do like them, the extra space is good and one can actually move in the shower. Fare restructure allowed us to go from balcony to mini suite for a reasonable sum. :halo:
All good then, I know friends who love the mini suites as they have a bath for cleaning their scuba gear and such.:D

Yes Mic, mini suites $14.50 per diem. Full suites $15.50. :evilsmile:

I agree with your earlier comment. You don't have to tip extra on top of this. Unfortunately, as this extra tipping becomes more common, it will come to be expected. If we believe some of the posts on the main Princess forum, passengers in another part of the world tip extra from the day they board the ship.

You've already paid your gratuities/tips/service charge when you bought your ticket. Assuming you bought your ticket in Australia.

So just to make sure I understand this correctly, since I bought my Australian Princess cruise in the US, daily gratuities will be charged to my onboard account, right?

I agree with your earlier comment. You don't have to tip extra on top of this. Unfortunately, as this extra tipping becomes more common, it will come to be expected. If we believe some of the posts on the main Princess forum, passengers in another part of the world tip extra from the day they board the ship.

I can’t decide if it’s guilt or just ingrained.

Thanks!

Probably should have said, we cruised on Diamond in 2015, made friends with some Americans, it was added on their account. I guess it may have changed but haven’t heard anything about it changing.

That may well happen but chances are they are removing the auto tipping first.

That may well happen but chances are they are removing the auto tipping first.

I don't believe most of the claims about very generous tipping. People can write anything on this forum. It doesn't mean that is what they actually do. :D I have read about someone claiming to tip $100 to several crew, or "I gave him an extra $100". Yeah, right. :D

I don't believe most of the claims about very generous tipping. People can write anything on this forum. It doesn't mean that is what they actually do. :D I have read about someone claiming to tip $100 to several crew, or "I gave him an extra $100". Yeah, right. :D

Zimbabwean dollars perhaps.

All good then, I know friends who love the mini suites as they have a bath for cleaning their scuba gear and such.:D

And on Princess, two TV's, one for each eye.:p But the extra space is handy if you can get a mini suite at a reasonable mark up from balcony price.:cool:

So just to make sure I understand this correctly, since I bought my Australian Princess cruise in the US, daily gratuities will be charged to my onboard account, right?

Probably and you most probably paid less for your cruise then those purchased by Aussies here, due to inbuilt 'Automatic Wage Subsidy.' (auto tips):evilsmile:

Spot on.

If you are having an in mini suite party, then you could get your cabin steward to bring several containers of ice and deposit it into your bath. Then get cabin service to bring in the booze, bingo big esky:halo:

To answer your question, probably 5% Mic. In that context 5% tip is not a lot.

Now I have upgraded to mini suites on all 3 upcoming Princess cruises, Sapphire x 2 and Royal x 1, I will have to ask the nice CC members to donate to my gratuity fund.:loudcry:

All contributions gratefully received.

Yes Uncle Mic, my auto tips to the Princess Automatic Wage Subsidy (AWS) fund will stay on.:halo:

On recalculation probably closer to 10% of fare.:(

If you are having an in mini suite party, then you could get your cabin steward to bring several containers of ice and deposit it into your bath. Then get cabin service to bring in the booze, bingo big esky:halo:

Bath is useless to me, unless there is a seperate shower too.

Bath is useless to me, unless there is a seperate shower too.

Princess minis have shower over the bath, they are fine, with more room then those standard 'soap the walls and spin around' Princess shower stalls. I don't use the baths, but the boss does now and then.:cool:

And on Princess, two TV's, one for each eye.:p But the extra space is handy if you can get a mini suite at a reasonable mark up from balcony price.:cool:

Yes but it gets frustrating when the wife changes channels and it affects both tvs.