Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy?

Kingofcool1947

Aw, come on man. You and Thrak must be some sort of socialites:D What your dad was probably talking about was chipped beef on toast. We will skip the colloquial name. I loved it in the Navy. ...

You are correct in what SOS actually is and that the common name needs to be not said. He was in the Army stationed in Panama, so mess hall food every day. While it may be delicious if prepared with care, that definitely is not the Army way (I had my own experiences with Army food). I never ran across it during my Army days. Cruise on! :D

An entire plate full of stuff that tastes like Mama's country fried steak? Oh yeah!!!!!

An entire plate full of stuff that tastes like a cruise ship chef's version of southern food? No thanks!!!! ;p

As someone mentioned above, I don't cruise to eat what I can get better done at home. I hope Princess concentrates on what they do well, which I think they do very well..

Like their pizza?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Like their pizza?

The pizza is fine to me, but I seldom eat it, and being from Georgia, what do I know about pizza? To a New Yorker or Chicagoan it's probably not nearly as good as what they're used to. So I guess the whole thing is just a matter of perspective. (I have enjoyed this thread - thanks.:D)

OBTW, SOS was my favorite Navy breakfast.

The pizza is fine to me, but I seldom eat it, and being from Georgia, what do I know about pizza? To a New Yorker or Chicagoan it's probably not nearly as good as what they're used to. So I guess the whole thing is just a matter of perspective. (I have enjoyed this thread - thanks.:D)

OBTW, SOS was my favorite Navy breakfast.

New York style pizza is far from my favorite but I agree that a New Yorker likely won't care for the Princess pizza. I'm from California and the pizza on Princess lacks flavor and they seem to scrimp on sauce big time.

So Chicken Fried Steak ? Is that fried chicken or fried steak, you have this Aussie confused. Never heard of it. I don't remember seeing it on Princess Cruises either, I could be wrong.:o

I still have not worked out what Grits is either, although on Princess I have seen something resembling porridge, labelled grits, at breakfast buffet.

So Chicken Fried Steak ? Is that fried chicken or fried steak, you have this Aussie confused. Never heard of it. I don't remember seeing it on Princess Cruises either, I could be wrong.:o

I still have not worked out what Grits is either, although on Princess I have seen something resembling porridge, labelled grits, at breakfast buffet.

Oh thanks ...I thought i was the only one confused ...this Canadian has no clue ...well I know what grits are ..but do they fry steak in batter like chicken ????

I might be wrong but I think Chicken Fried Steak is similar to our schnitzel, and grits is similar to soft polenta.

I had grits on Celebrity Solstice once, they were a bit bland, but I enjoyed the collard greens. Polenta usually has tons of butter and parmesan in it for flavour.

I might be wrong but I think Chicken Fried Steak is similar to our schnitzel, and grits is similar to soft polenta.

Yes it’s crumbed steak with a few spices. I’ve never understood why they call it chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it’s crumbed steak with a few spices. I’ve never understood why they call it chicken.

LOL, never knew our cuisine (if it qualifies for that description) could be so confusing. It is called "chicken fried" because it is prepared and fried like fried chicken. It is somewhat like scnitzel, except it is breaded and seasoned more heavily to cover for the cheaper cut of meat. Grits are ground hominy, a type of corn, usually served in the southern US as a breakfast side dish. Grits are indeed bland. I never liked them much, although with cheese and shrimp for an entree, they are not too bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

LOL, never knew our cuisine (if it qualifies for that description) could be so confusing. It is called "chicken fried" because it is prepared and fried like fried chicken. It is somewhat like scnitzel, except it is breaded and seasoned more heavily to cover for the cheaper cut of meat. Grits are ground hominy, a type of corn, usually served in the southern US as a breakfast side dish. Grits are indeed bland. I never liked them much, although with cheese and shrimp for an entree, they are not too bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

Loads of butter and cheese can do wonders for the blandest of foods. Though, it does some bad things to our arteries when we make a habit of them.

Take a look at this video and recipe:)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-fried-steak-recipe-1917219

I had an odd experience traveling in Wyoming a year or so ago. I was staying at a hotel that offered a free breakfast. When I went down I saw what I thought was oatmeal and so I filled a bowl up and when back to my table. The first taste let me know that it was not oatmeal but I couldn't tell what it was other than very salty. It took a few minutes of watching other guests to realize that it was the gravy for biscuits! I was hoping that no one saw me. I still cant picture someone liking that gravy!

:D

They cal it "Chicken FRIED" steak....meaning that it is fried as chicken is. I know - I LOVE it...but I wouldn't necessarily want it on a cruise.... ;)

Chicken fried steak is real comfort food here--though not usually for breakfast. It is hard to get it prepared 'right' though and I can't imagine that it would be good on a cruise ship. Most places now a days use a generic pre-prepared mystery meat with not very good coating.

It takes a real homey, small town cafe to do it right. Or, Blackbeard's on Padres Island, Texas!

Home prepared is best, but it is a messy, tricky process to get the breading just right and cooked just until crispy but not burned and the steak inside just right also. Not to mention homemade gravy.

A calorie bomb for sure, but a few times a year we indulge anyway.

Anything served on the ship with a name is prepared with the chefs interpretation of what it should be. I have seen numerous dishes with familiar names, but looking at the ingredients are NOT what I am familiar with. As previous posters have said, some dishes are special to certain areas of the U.S. as well as the world, so a lot of us aren't familiar with certain dishes, when seeing them on the ship, we would try them, but only to find later it was not a good representation of what the dish actually is. We are of Polish ancestry, and have seen Polish sausage and other dishes on board ships, only to find them the most disgusting and embarrassing food served. If someone tried it and did find it disgusting, they would never know the authentic taste of it. So, needless to say, anyone wanting an authentic tasting dish on board, go with an open mind, and remember, nobody cooks like MOM.

Chicken fried steak is real comfort food here--though not usually for breakfast. It is hard to get it prepared 'right' though and I can't imagine that it would be good on a cruise ship. Most places now a days use a generic pre-prepared mystery meat with not very good coating.

It takes a real homey, small town cafe to do it right. Or, Blackbeard's on Padres Island, Texas!

Home prepared is best, but it is a messy, tricky process to get the breading just right and cooked just until crispy but not burned and the steak inside just right also. Not to mention homemade gravy.

A calorie bomb for sure, but a few times a year we indulge anyway.

Definitely..... :D

But damn it!! There is nothing quite like Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed potatoes w/brown gravy, Turnip Greens and Corn Bread!!! Calories be damned!!!!! :p

Definitely..... :D

But damn it!! There is nothing quite like Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed potatoes w/brown gravy, Turnip Greens and Corn Bread!!! Calories be damned!!!!! :p

I really don't understand. I actually despise the stuff. The other day I ordered the "senior special" with 2 eggs over medium, hash browns, bacon, and an english muffin. When the waitress set the plate in front of me there had been a mixup and my bacon had been replaced with a small "chicken fried steak". I freaked out and told her that I never put that stuff into my mouth. I abhor it!!!

I know a lot of folks here may be offended as they absolutely love the stuff but I will never understand why.

Note: One of my sons loves the stuff. Go figure.

So this thread is still active I see. Personally I cannot understand why one has to drown CFS in gravy to make it taste good. If you need gravy to cover up the taste, why eat it. I like good mashed potatoes but without the fat laden gravy. My other observation is people who tell me they love grits but then they drown it in butter literally. If grits are so good, why do you have it swimming in butter. Questions to contemplate while sitting on my balcony on a sea day with the sun shining and warm temperatures. :D

I like good mashed potatoes but without the fat laden gravy. :D

So are those mashed potatoes just boiled and smashed? Or, are they made with butter,cream, salt and pepper? Maybe a bit of parmesean? All that stuff makes good tasking food taste even better. They are called ingredients.

Enjoy your pondering, I kind of try to let my mind go blank. You can tell, can't you?

So are those mashed potatoes just boiled and smashed? Or, are they made with butter,cream, salt and pepper? Maybe a bit of parmesean? All that stuff makes good tasking food taste even better. They are called ingredients.

Enjoy your pondering, I kind of try to let my mind go blank. You can tell, can't you?

Tasting. Stinking auto spell correcting machine thing.

I really don't understand. I actually despise the stuff. The other day I ordered the "senior special" with 2 eggs over medium, hash browns, bacon, and an english muffin. When the waitress set the plate in front of me there had been a mixup and my bacon had been replaced with a small "chicken fried steak". I freaked out and told her that I never put that stuff into my mouth. I abhor it!!!

I know a lot of folks here may be offended as they absolutely love the stuff but I will never understand why.

Note: One of my sons loves the stuff. Go figure.

I've found that most 'chicken fried steak', especially that served for breakfast, isn't worth ordering. It's frozen. The coating is poor.

Now, real "chicken fried steak" has a crispy coating like KFC extra crispy chicken. It's also deep fried, not pan fried.

Much, much different.