They keep cancelling my excursions!

taliho621

So we are booked on the Harmony out of Fort Lauderdale, leaving on the 30th. Scheduled ports are San Juan, St. Martin and Labadee. Now, we know that San Juan and St. Martin are not in great shape, so we booked excursions through the ship (we usually direct book, but figured this was our safest bet this cruise due to the storm-related issues on both islands).

Well last week, we got an e-mail cancelling our Adventure St Martin excursion (an Amazing Race-type game), where we were told that the excursion was canceled due to operational issues. And then tonight, we got the e-mail that our El Yunque Rainforest Hike out of San Juan was cancelled as well. What the heck? And unfortunately, the alternatives for both islands are mainly beach-type activities, which is not our thing. So we are scrambling for ways to entertain ourselves (can't stay on the ship for seven straight days).

Now don't get me wrong. With everything that the residents of these islands have been going through the last couple of months, the inconvenience of my family having nothing to do all day except lounge around a billion dollar ship, where our every whim is catered to, is not exactly an international crisis. But I am wondering why RCCL is even bothering to go to ports that do not seem ready for the cruise traffic.

So other than to vent, I guess the purpose of this post is to seek your advice and input as to substitute activities on either of these islands, ones that you know (or at least strongly believe) are actually open for business. No hanging on the beach (not my son's thing) or snorkeling/diving (not the wife's). We like to take active excursions (but not TOO active - we like to move around, but are not iron man athletes. Hiking, not mountain climbing. Biking, but not serious off-roading. That kind of stuff).

Thanks.

Are the forts open in San Juan? I like both of them and they are close together so you could see both in a day. $10 admission for both or no charge if you have a National Park Pass. In St. Maarten you could contact Bernards Tours and see if they are up and running.

Are the forts open in San Juan? I like both of them and they are close together so you could see both in a day. $10 admission for both or no charge if you have a National Park Pass. In St. Maarten you could contact Bernards Tours and see if they are up and running.

I thought I read that one was open, but I cannot recall which.

Forts are open.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our San Juan rainforest tour was cancelled too, and our cruise is in march! I'm not really surprised, though - I'd imagine the rainforest is in pretty horrible shape right now after the hurricane.

With regards to other things to do in San Juan - how long are you there for? The bioluminescent bay is a pretty cool experience if you're there into the evening! Otherwise, I know San Juan has quite a bit of good shopping around the port area too.

Your time in San Juan is a bit limited. We are on Freedom in Jan. and we are also in San Juan. I've been there a number of times. Our plan is to go to the Fort (probably San Cristobal as it's closer) and then wander the shops. Not all that exciting, but we get in at 7 am and leave at 2 pm. I see you get in at 7 am and leave at 3 pm, so after a leisurely breakfast and off the ship, not that much time.

As to St. Martin, we normally go to the Sunset Bar and Grill at Maho Beach at the airport and watch people try to stand the jet blast from planes (you can find lots of video on youtube). I know it isn't "active," but a way to enjoy some time and good food and drink. But St. Martin was devastated by the hurricane. So your options will be limited. There are usually lots of taxis at the pier so you can find your options and get easy rides. Keep in mind, the island recoveries are heavily dependent on tourist dollars. Go ashore and show support by at least being there, even if you choose not to spend any money.

I saw a video of a drone trip through the rain forest, I don't know when or if it will ever rejuvenate. It was terribly destroyed.

It will recover. Not the first time and not the last time a hurricane like this has passed over the rain forest.

And it's recovery will be interesting to watch- while right now may be a bad time to visit- in a few months when the dormant plants become active, since they are getting sunshine- the whole forest will change until the large plants can re-establish themselves to dominate. We've seen that before and it's really neat to see.

To the OP- I agree on the Forts- and see if the museums in the Museo de las Americas is open- there are some really neat things there. It's up in the barracks across the field from El Morro.

So we are booked on the Harmony out of Fort Lauderdale,

Thanks.

I'm glad you posted this, it goes to the heart of the private excursions vs ship sponsored, at one point around 2010 I calculated that Royal canceled 30% of my excursions booked ahead. Sometimes it was early enough for me to look for another, but I bet over the years I've arrived in my cabin to find notice of 10 excursions canceled. Add in I have found the quality of Royal Excursions to suffer. In the last 5 cruises I could only name 2 or 3 Royal excursions that I felt were a good value or good time.

But like you I am planning for islands that have had issues recently and that adds a wrinkle. For my next cruise, I am doing a ship excursion in St Croix, our first time there. Going on our own in St Martin, I've arranged a private excursion for 4 of us in Grenada, arranging one for Barbados and still up in the air for Martinique. I feel your pain and am going to read your replies.

I was in San Juan last week when Harmony stopped there. The Old San Juan area is alive and kicking. Plenty to do. Both forts were open, almost every store was operating. I think finding something to do within Old San Juan is your best bet. They will appreciate tourism dollars!

I can't comment on St Maarten, as we were switched to St Thomas.