Consent letter on islands

canadaman111

We are going on our first cruise in February. We are driving down to Galveston from Canada. I have a letter from my ex allowing me to take my two boys across the border into the USA. My question is will I need the same letter when we stop in Montevideo bay, Cayman Islands, or Cozumel?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't need separate letters for each destination but I'd have had it written that you have permission to take your child out of the country and not just into the USA!!

I doubt if anyone will look at the letter but it is not a bad idea to have it.

you don't need separate letters for each destination but i'd have had it written that you have permission to take your child out of the country and not just into the usa!!

I doubt if anyone will look at the letter but it is not a bad idea to have it.

^^this

I've seen people mention these letters need to be notarized. Is that true for people coming from Canada to US and then to Cruise? Just curious.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter

we strongly recommend that you have the letter certified by an official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration (e.g. a commissioner of oaths, notary public or lawyer), so that border officials will be less likely to question its authenticity.

What if the parent is a dead beat parent and you have no idea where they are? They've had no contact with the child for over 10 years. No child support and no contact by their choice.

full custody papers..... there is always paperwork that can prove that. the good news is that its rare when asked but if you have any paperwork for what you describe above, that will work

So do you have to show your passport when you arrive on the islands and when getting back on the ship?

The Carnival staff specifically recommend that you do not carry your passport off the ship as it is not needed and there is no point in risking it getting lost or stolen.

We are going on our first cruise in February. We are driving down to Galveston from Canada. I have a letter from my ex allowing me to take my two boys across the border into the USA. My question is will I need the same letter when we stop in Montevideo bay, Cayman Islands, or Cozumel?

At most islands you do not go through customs/immigration so you do not need it. However you need it for the ship and returning to the USA. Your letter should include the ship and ports just in case. You may never be asked but if you are you better have it!

My kids have cruised several times with friends or grandparents, and I always notarize the letter that I send with them. That being said, I've also traveled several times with the kids but without my husband, and have never taken a letter. It's never been an issue.

CeleBrat

I've seen people mention these letters need to be notarized. Is that true for people coming from Canada to US and then to Cruise? Just curious.

I had my letter notarized when I took my niece on cruises in the past. I was never asked for it, but it is essential just in case someone does ask for it.

We do the drive from Canada to Galveston as well. When we travel separate we have only ever been asked for the letter coming back into Canada. I can't understand the logic...we can leave the country...drive all around...even fly to foreign destinations out of the US, yet bringing them home is the only concern?!?