OTC Meds you pack for gastrointestinal issues

rbslos18

Givem the recent gastrointestinal issues reported on cruises, I’m curious which OTC medications you pack on a typical cruise. The recent Royal Caribbean story said passengers were treated with OTC medications! Imodium? Pepto bismol? Any others?

Thanks

RB

OTC medications do not treat viruses. If you’re sure you have a problem due to rich food or overeating, then Pepto Bismol or Immodium are fine. But if you have Noro, do not self-medicate. You could make it worse. Best is to report any gastrointestinal issue to the Medical Center. If it is Noro, the last thing you want is to infect other people, including your cabin steward. That’s how Noro spreads: people self-medicating and exposing others.

Givem the recent gastrointestinal issues reported on cruises, I’m curious which OTC medications you pack on a typical cruise. The recent Royal Caribbean story said passengers were treated with OTC medications! Imodium? Pepto bismol? Any others?

Thanks

RB

There is a train of thought that wine, especially white wines that are high in acid, are helpful. I've read that Chardonnay, in particular, is quite effective. Supposedly, it isn't the alcohol but a property in the grape skins. Well, it's worth a try anyway ... seems to have always worked for us.

There is a train of thought that wine, especially white wines that are high in acid, are helpful. I've read that Chardonnay, in particular, is quite effective. Supposedly, it isn't the alcohol but a property in the grape skins. Well, it's worth a try anyway ... seems to have always worked for us.

No wonder I don’t get sick. Love my Chardonnay [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always pack Immodium whenever I travel, not because of Noro, but because eating all those great, rich meals and foods I don't normally eat that the chefs prepare don't always make my GI system happy, although they do please my tastebuds!!.

I don't want to end up confined to my cabin because I went to the Medical Center for medication for something is non-communicable and will be gone in a matter of hours.

Thus far I have never had Noro while cruising, but maybe that's at least partly due to the fact that I too am a Chardonnay lover who also washes her hands a lot.

I've learned a lot on CC, but especially glad to have learned there is a medicinal benefit to CHardonnay!! LOL

Now if it could just prevent aging!!

Bring the Immodium but save it for when you absolutely must "stop the flow" temporarily, such as being required to disembark or take transportation to home or hotel. Otherwise take plenty of fluids, any medication recommended by the ship's medical staff, isolate yourself to avoid spreading the problem, and let your body do what it needs to do to get the virus out of your system.

I always bring Immodium but agree that it's best if you don't use it and just get the bug out of your system. Better than any meds for after you've contracted the illness, bring this and wipe down your room before you start your cruise and half way through it: (and I use these on planes too)

https://www.amazon.com/Saalfeld-30824-Healthcare-Disinfectant-Norovirus/dp/B01MU9QV9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513636512&sr=8-1&keywords=clorox+norovirus+wipes

Thanks

RB

I last had norovirus a year ago this past October. And I wasn't on a cruise at the time, either ;)

Of course, many folks who get this nasty virus feel like they are about to die. I sure did

I made a trip to the ER as I felt so dehydrated. The ER doc and staff were wonderful but I also was grateful for a parting "gift". The doc wrote a script for Zofran sublingual.

Zofran is fantastic. As for walking around the ship after taking Zofran......of course not! But I do feel for people who experience lots of vomiting and the endless "other" coming from the other end, can become easily dehydrated. In particular babies, children and elderly.

Not sure if a doc would order this med if you had no need for it at the time. It sure would not hurt to ask your family doc before heading out on a cruise.

The other aspect is that often docs do not want to prescribe anything but recommend OTC in case a person actually has a more serious GI problem. In the ER, I had multiple tests and imaging, just to be sure my issue was only Noro.

As for the diarrhea part, it is true that it is the way your body is getting rid of the virus. But I agree with the other comments to only use the Immodium if you have to head for the hotel or anywhere else.

I know for me Pepto-Bismol would not have helped and likely would have made it worse (the stuff tastes awful).

I have read a few articles that Pepto Bismal can help protect against Noro. I guess a few studies have been done & it helps the virus pass through somehow without the virus taking hold. I did research after I got what appeared to be a mild case of Noro on the Crown.