Some Thoughts on My Eurodam Cruise Dec 10-17 2017

Cruiser Bruiser

Thanks for taking the time to write such a well thought out review! We will also be enjoying a cabana on the Eurodam next month, did you happen to catch if Juvil and E-Jay will still be onboard a bit longer?

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I think E-Jay will still be there. If my bad, 50 year old memory is correct, he said he was going on vacation in a couple months and then moving to another ship.

I forgot to mention that I was the only person who drank the sparkling wine in the afternoon, so essentially I got the whole bottle. I asked a neighbor one afternoon if they had come by with the "champagne and strawberries" and she asked me: "You drink that swill?" I think she's the lady who complained about the music!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I wonder, if Carnival were to make changes in the direction of becoming more like Holland America (perhaps Cunard would now be a better example), what would you recommend for people who liked the way things were? Would you say, Accept it and live in the present? And if both lines progressed in the direction of each other, to the point where they were indistinguishable, would you advise, just live in the present?

Sorry, pushback is going to keep happening. If it works (I hope the live-in-the-present folk live up to their words...😉 ), IMO we'll have more real, distinct choices, and not have lines converging on a common denominator.

And I think the pushback really isn't as vociferous as some people make it out to be. It's actually targeted on issues and have valid, specific reasons (sometimes it's even about physical/sensory discomfort).

It's too easy to say, "oh they're just the type that is resistant to any change". If you knew our opinions on a full range of topics, you might be surprised.

I don't doubt some of what's going on may be sensory..Everyone has their "comfort zone"-not just when it comes to cruising-and any sort of change is upsetting. I'm a little that way myself if we're being honest. It's a emotional thing-a security blanket if you will.

I don't doubt some of what's going on may be sensory..Everyone has their "comfort zone"-not just when it comes to cruising-and any sort of change is upsetting. I'm a little that way myself if we're being honest. It's a emotional thing-a security blanket if you will.

Thanks, SeaGirl. What came across was apparently quite different than my actual thought, but I probably worded it poorly, and posts like yours that find common ground are always appreciated!

Thanks very much for the very well-written review John ! We were on the ship with you and I'll be posting mine later. I fully agree that service was excellent and the entertainment was much better than I expected. (I'm a former actor/singer and tend to be very critical). steve

Thanks very much for the very well-written review John ! We were on the ship with you and I'll be posting mine later. I fully agree that service was excellent and the entertainment was much better than I expected. (I'm a former actor/singer and tend to be very critical). steve

I'm looking forward to your review, Steve. Did you catch the two lead singers in BB King's? I thought they were both fantastic. When I was giving props to 1,000 Steps, I was going to make a joke, but I forgot. It's the sexiest show I've seen on HAL, but it's still pretty tame compared with NCL's ballroom dance inspired shows that maximize the S-E-X and minimize the clothing. But baby steps.

Funny, I was on the same cruise but I didn't notice a lot of kids. Some, yes, and perhaps more than on past December cruises but this was also the first one week cruise I've ever done on HAL so I chalked it up to that. The thing about kids on HAL is that there are so few of them that I think there's more pressure on the parents to moderate their behavior, because they've never been a problem that I've seen, at the pool or in the dining room.

I was pleasantly surprised that we almost never had a problem getting an elevator, the only issue was immediately after the muster drill, which should be expected I guess.

I'm looking forward to your review, Steve. Did you catch the two lead singers in BB King's? I thought they were both fantastic. When I was giving props to 1,000 Steps, I was going to make a joke, but I forgot. It's the sexiest show I've seen on HAL, but it's still pretty tame compared with NCL's ballroom dance inspired shows that maximize the S-E-X and minimize the clothing. But baby steps.

Thank you for telling it like it is. And thank you for breaking down the S-E-X barrier. Why not, there is plenty of drinking, gambling, smoking, lude and rude comedy on board, why not a little gratuitous you know what in our entertainment.

Think Las Vegas style bur-lee-que. Think Cir de Soleil Zumanity, two mermaids flip flopping in a 10-foot martini glass opening the 8:00 show. And for the ladies, at 10:30 in the 'lounge', its the late show with the HAL Chippendale review. Something for everybody.

Times are changing, I can't wait till the baby boomers and x gens really take over the product management.

Tell us what you think, pro or con, and don't hold back.

Funny, I was on the same cruise but I didn't notice a lot of kids. Some, yes, and perhaps more than on past December cruises but this was also the first one week cruise I've ever done on HAL so I chalked it up to that. The thing about kids on HAL is that there are so few of them that I think there's more pressure on the parents to moderate their behavior, because they've never been a problem that I've seen, at the pool or in the dining room.

I was pleasantly surprised that we almost never had a problem getting an elevator, the only issue was immediately after the muster drill, which should be expected I guess.

I'd say I noticed about 12-18 kids, and then another half-dozen young adults. All of them were well behaved; I just didn't expect them. But, I spent nearly all my free time during the day at the Lido Pool, which is the designated family pool. Did you spend more time elsewhere? I'm curious.

And that brings up a point: I fell like I have read quite a few comments lately about a lack of things to do on HAL during the day. Perhaps that was on smaller ships? But at least on Eurodam, there were several things going on every day, none of which did I attend (e.g. America's Test Kitchen, Digital Workshop, Bridge, Mass [which I meant to attend at least once :o], bingo, trivia, a couple pirate-related lectures, not to mention all the "activities" designed to encourage you to buy something. I would have had to have gone on another cruise to have done all that.

I forgot to mention that I was the only person who drank the sparkling wine in the afternoon, so essentially I got the whole bottle. I asked a neighbor one afternoon if they had come by with the "champagne and strawberries" and she asked me: "You drink that swill?" I think she's the lady who complained about the music!

I asked about the champagne they were serving in the cabanas on my October cruise. They showed me the bottle they were pouring from and it was real champagne.

Thanks for your review. I find it pretty much aligns with my own thoughts.

I did sit by the Lido pool several afternoons, I guess I just wasn't bothered by the few kids I saw there. I only got off the ship once because it's difficult with my mother so I spent almost the entire cruise on board. The Americas Test Kitchen presentations are good but I didn't attend any on this cruise because they were a repeat of the ones we saw on our Alaska cruise in July. A little more variety would be nice.

I asked about the champagne they were serving in the cabanas on my October cruise. They showed me the bottle they were pouring from and it was real champagne.

Thanks for your review. I find it pretty much aligns with my own thoughts.

Cheers! I noticed that the bottle did say "Product of France" or the French equivalent, but ours was not a true champagne. Apparently it was a "vin mousseux." According to Wikipedia: "The French terms Mousseux and Crémant refer to sparkling wine not made in the Champagne region, such as Blanquette de Limoux produced in Southern France." So, close but no cigar on my sailing! I still enjoyed it. Proseco from Italy seems to be more on trend at the moment, and a while back it was cava from Spain. So long as it's white and bubbly. :bottle-pop:

Our very first cruise was on the Maasdam in 2006 so we didn't know anything about how "things used to be".

However, even then our fellow cruisers were griping about how "things have changed" and what "we used to get for free are now upcharges"

Things NEVER change in the respect of griping about "what used to be"................HOWEVER, cruising is still as exciting and enjoyable to us as it was that first time.

Will be on Eurodam on Jan. 7th after visiting in Ft. Lauderdale with some of our Canadian friends that we met on the Maasdam on a repeat voyage in 2008.

On HAL you CAN makes friends for life!!!!

No offense to the people who want things "the way they used to be" but do you know now quick Holland America would be made obsolete if they kept things "the way they used to be? "

The days of steerage,white gloved porters taking your steamer trunk to your cabin, etc. are long gone. I blame Downton Abbey. :(

Thanks for the review!

I'll be sailing Eurodam solo in November 2018, so I appreciate your thoughts about the solo experience. I am really looking forward to my cabana service!

Are you going Thanksgiving week by any chance? We might sail by each other. I will be on Nieuw Amsterdam sailing to the western Caribbean. My cabana is booked, too. My cruise addiction is escalating.

Hi. I was curious as to why you would have rather been "closer to the center" for the Lido Cabana? Is it because of noise or foot traffic?

We have been on the Eurodam once quite a few years ago and we had a Cabana on the end and they had set up a ping pong table right beside the cabana which we did not find very relaxing.

Our very first cruise was on the Maasdam in 2006 so we didn't know anything about how "things used to be".

However, even then our fellow cruisers were griping about how "things have changed" and what "we used to get for free are now upcharges"

Things NEVER change in the respect of griping about "what used to be"................HOWEVER, cruising is still as exciting and enjoyable to us as it was that first time.

Will be on Eurodam on Jan. 7th after visiting in Ft. Lauderdale with some of our Canadian friends that we met on the Maasdam on a repeat voyage in 2008.

On HAL you CAN makes friends for life!!!!

The extras I pay for are specific to me-internet,drinks,laundry. Cruises are WAY less inclusive than they used to.Unless you're a higher star Mariner(which I'm not! LOL)

Hi. I was curious as to why you would have rather been "closer to the center" for the Lido Cabana? Is it because of noise or foot traffic?

We have been on the Eurodam once quite a few years ago and we had a Cabana on the end and they had set up a ping pong table right beside the cabana which we did not find very relaxing.

Because I'm sailing solo, it's nice to feel like part of the party. The cabana next to me had no pool view at all. My cabana had a partial pool view. It was good enough, but there were several in the middle that would have been perfect.

Bruiser Cruiser, thank you for your review! We are looking forward to our Eurodam cruise next month. I do have a question for you--how do you book a Lido Cabana?

Happy to help! You have to call ship's services. The number is on the "already booked" section of the HAL website.

Thanks for the review!

I'll be sailing Eurodam solo in November 2018, so I appreciate your thoughts about the solo experience. I am really looking forward to my cabana service!

I hope you have an awesome time. In my experience cruise folks are pretty social people. So even though I was traveling by myself, I never felt alone. Happy sailing.

Because I'm sailing solo, it's nice to feel like part of the party. The cabana next to me had no pool view at all. My cabana had a partial pool view. It was good enough, but there were several in the middle that would have been perfect.

Thanks for the response and your review as it was well laid out and an easy read. I find music/sound around the pool to be one of those polarizing issues (less so on Holland more so on other cruise lines where they have a movie screen running the entire day). I can appreciate how people could enjoy both situations but as one person put it if there are 100 people and 99 would enjoy a quiet atmosphere and one person wants noise it is the one who wants noise who wins out.

Thank you for the well written review. Suspect you are correct about the general trend of changes. Perhaps, a partial compromise would be to make these changes on the newer ships with relatively few on the smaller ships. "One size fits all' will not satisfy either group. We had no major complaints on our recent cruise on Oosterdam.