Celebrity Alcohol Waiver Policy

carolynes

Utterly untrue. The internet is not a great place to obtain legal counsel.

Depending upon the circumstances a parent or other adult who knowingly allows a minor to drink can be held criminally liable for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, child abuse, child neglect, and other more specific ,local and state criminal ordinances and statutes. This can also be extended to negligent homicide if the minor is served by a social host (similar to dram laws for commercial establishments). Civil liability would most likely fall under negligent supervision of a minor, and negligence regarding any property or person damage done by the minor. It is also not unusual for people to be found guilty both criminally and civilly. Especially when the adults involved have assets. ....

Your world is so black and white. Reality is usually very different.

In your own words "depending on the circumstances", "most likely", "not unusual" - all phrases that suggest things aren't as clear-cut as you clearly want them to be and that each case needs to be examined on its own merits...or lack of them.

Personally, I think they should be thrown in jail and stripped of substantial assets, in addition to having their kids removed.

If the law is dependent on the circumstances, then without knowing the circumstances this demonstrates clearly that those with legal training (i'm sure you have previously claimed to have such training) don't always have the wisdom to be sound judges.

There is a world of difference beween a 17 year old been offered a glass of wine supervised by an adult with a meal or at a special occiaison vs say a 12 year old encouraged to routinely help themselves to cans of a strong of dad's stong beer. If you cannot recognise the difference in these circumstances then maybe you need to look at what might be in your drinking water.

Edited by DYKWIA

I received the Celebrity Alcohol Waiver form from my Travel Agent for our upcoming cruise embarking from Florida. My daughter will be legal drinking age where we live, but not in the US. Will she be able to enjoy a drink or two? When I was on Norwegian last year, there were signs posted saying that those between the ages of 18 and 20 could drink with parental permission. Does Celebrity have the same policy for cruises leaving from the US?

No. Since your cruise is leaving from Florida and she isn't 21 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if I can get a definitive answer here: My 20 year old niece wil be sailing with us to Alaska. The ship departs from Vancouver, ie a country where she could legally drink. Will Celebrity allow her to purchase a drink package? She is excited at the prospect of being allowed to drink with her cousins in the bar. I told her I wasn't sure that was going to be allowed. Anybody know for sure? (No judgments please)

-------------------

Helen

Helen, she will not be allowed to officially drink on the ship. She would be allowed in Vancouver or any Canadian port (if you go to the Yukon on one of the excursions). Maybe a couple of days in Vancouver so she can have her "cousin" time. For our children's 18th birthdays we allowed the kids to pick their cruise. Our daughter chose Alaska, our son on the other hand chose Europe - all because of the drinking policy. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wonder if I can get a definitive answer here: My 20 year old niece wil be sailing with us to Alaska. The ship departs from Vancouver, ie a country where she could legally drink. Will Celebrity allow her to purchase a drink package? She is excited at the prospect of being allowed to drink with her cousins in the bar. I told her I wasn't sure that was going to be allowed. Anybody know for sure? (No judgments please)

-------------------

Helen

My understanding is that the legal drinking age is based upon the country of departure. This was stated on here by the official Celebrity poster that used to post on here.

In Canada, or more specifically (BC) the age is 19, so I suspect she would.

That said, I note the use of the wording (North America) in the post by Cruisetitch which obviously conflicts. Can you call Celebrity and confirm?

You knew, I'm sure, that you were chancing having the beverage package revoked with no refund?

"Sharing" a beverage package is not allowed. Not to mention violating the age restriction.

Sharing goes on all the time! The bartenders and servers even suggest it! My last cruise it was rampant.

Since I am the curious type, and, happen to live in Illinois, I looked the law up concerning serving underage minors. "Alcohol may be served to minors in non serving premises with parental consent". I believe that refers to the home. Many states allow minors to be served in the home with the parents present. While I have no doubt that alcohol is served with parental consent in some establishments, I believe that it is not legal. I don't care what other people do, but I believe that law is quite specific.

When our teenage son was an attendant in his Uncle's wedding, we indulged him a bit at the private reception so that he could toast the bridal couple, and let him have a Fuzzy Navel during the dance (he was not going to be driving). (Yes, it was a long time ago, Fuzzy Navels went out of fashion a long time ago.) The question that comes to mind is one of liability, the law and policy, being what they are, who is responsible in the event of a tragic circumstance?

What people do is up to them, I don't care what a parent decides to allow. Just reporting what I researched.

I. Eight Exceptions to the Minimum Legal Drinking Age (MLDA) of 21Underage alcohol consumption allowed...States1. on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with parental consent in 29 states

Example: private home, private office, or private property with parental presence and consentAlaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

I forgot to paste this, sorry

-------------------

Helen

Unfortunately, it appears that she'll have to wait for another year to be able to drink with her cousins at a Celebrity ship's bar during an Alaska cruise. Celebrity bases its drinking age on the continent of departure, not the country, and for North American departures, the age is 21.

The following is taken from the Celebrity website:

Q.

What is Celebrity Cruises’ Alcohol Policy?

A.

Celebrity Cruises guests are expected to be responsible for their actions at all times, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations. Consuming alcohol to excess impairs one's judgment and reduces one's ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations. Guests who choose to consume alcohol must do so responsibly. The ship's staff may refuse to serve alcoholic beverages to any guest who does not consume alcohol responsibly, including those who have purchased an all-inclusive beverage package. Ship's personnel may request verification of a guest's age to verify they are of age to consume alcohol pursuant to this policy. Any guest that violates this alcohol policy will be considered for disciplinary action pursuant to the "Consequences Section" of this Guest Conduct Policy, and may lose their privileges to use areas or facilities of the ship.

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when guests are permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per stateroom. Security may inspect containers (including water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, canteens, etc.) at any time and will dispose of alcohol concealed in such containers. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from onboard shops or in ports of call (which must be presented to security upon re-boarding), will be secured by ship's personnel. Alcohol secured by ship's personnel will be returned to guests just prior to the conclusion of their cruise vacation. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18. In certain circumstances where local laws permit or require, Celebrity Cruises may modify this policy which may also require parent/guardian request/authorization. Guests may contact Guest Relations or refer to Celebrity Today for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest's age is established upon boarding at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Relations Manager to modify ship's records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the vacation. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Relations to present a valid government-issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Celebrity Cruises cruise vacation.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while onboard; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy.

You are so right, and I sincerely wish this had happened. It is absolutely wrong under any circumstances to allow an alcoholic drink to be served to anyone underage. There are no circumstance under which this is an acceptable thing to do. If it were I in change, anyone caught doing so would be let off at the next port.

My god... aren't you the pious one.

My kids have been drinking wine at home since they were kids. My youngest is now 17. He doesn't particularly like alcohol, but he has permission to try whatever we are having. As a young child he would get a tablespoon or so. As he got older he got more. Now he gets a full glass of wine with the adults of he wants it. And for the record, here in Canada parents have the right to decide for themselves when their kids are mature enough to handle alcohol in their own home.

Sounds like no 20 year old drinking on an Alaska cruise even if we start in Vancouver. Thanks for the info, folks. Now to decide if I will disappoint her now or when we get to the ship ��

---------------------

Helen

While they won't be able to sit in a bar together enjoying a drink, in the privacy of your cabin... :evilsmile:

Sounds like no 20 year old drinking on an Alaska cruise even if we start in Vancouver. Thanks for the info, folks. Now to decide if I will disappoint her now or when we get to the ship ��

---------------------

Helen

You both have my sympathies. I firmly believe that those brought up to enjoy alcohol in moderation with meals etc will respect alcohol for what it is. This is common place in Europe with some countries allowing 16 year old's to purchase beer and wine and those countries don't have high levels of alcoholism.