Celebrity Alcohol Waiver Policy

carolynes

"You are telling me that if I want to buy a friend a drink on my card I can’t?"

I think you are asking, can you purchase a drink, outside of the beverage package, for someone else. Yes, you can. For instance, if you want to stand a group a round of drinks, they will charge your card.

However, buying for someone under age would violate the alcohol policy.

The 20 year olds cannot buy alcohol on their own SeaPass. The cards issued to minors are marked -- they have big stars on them -- so that servers know that they cannot be used to purchase alcohol. So if the 20 year old is getting a drink, it means that someone else bought it and gave it to them, and that is against the alcohol policy. If they used their beverage package to buy the drink, then that also violates the beverage package T&C.

You are telling me that if I want to buy a friend a drink on my card I can’t? No package, just outright paying for a drink. It’s not a ‘sharing’ issue unless you have the beverage package and are using it to give drinks to someone who doesn’t. Now buying alcohol for a minor is a totally different issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The third poster said that her friend could not get a beverage package so they bought drinks and gave them to her when the bartender turned around. That is where people are getting the assumption that drinks were being purchased with the poster's own beverage package (whether that's really what happened or not). If it did, that is indeed sharing a beverage package.

Being lost in all the back and forth sniping is that Celebrity's policy specifically forbids anyone from giving alcohol to underage passengers. Period. Might they turn a blind eye? Sure. I personally wouldn't chance it because you've signed a contract that allows them to put you off the boat if caught, and the person putting you off the boat isn't going to be the waiter who served you.

Not to mention that there are lots of uptight people who may just report you, too.

Big differences between the alcohol policy and the dress code policy --

Alcohol policy involves revenue -- dress code doesn't

Alcohol policy prohibits serving alcohol to minors -- dress code is the same for minors/adults

Alcohol policy says no sharing of a single package (to adults or minors, no difference -- it says no sharing) -- dress code N/A

Alcohol policy protects the cruise line in case a minor who does get alcohol from some source (not the cruise line) causes trouble, the cruise line can say, "this was not in conformance with our T&C" -- dress code can't really get anyone in any trouble

Alcohol policy is a potential employment issue to anyone who knowingly serves alcohol to a minor and there's a possibility that the employee would be terminated -- dress code has no such consequences

I'll just chime in and add that it has been reported that passengers have been removed from the ship for :-

Supplying minors with alcohol.

Supplying other adults with drinks who did not have their own beverage package.

Now you know the facts and the risks, you can all go and make your own decisions as to what you do onboard ship.

The third poster said that her friend could not get a beverage package so they bought drinks and gave them to her when the bartender turned around. That is where people are getting the assumption that drinks were being purchased with the poster's own beverage package (whether that's really what happened or not). If it did, that is indeed sharing a beverage package.

I did miss that post. Caught up now. The OP never implied that they planned to share however.

The do-gooder might have a heart attack if they knew anything about age restrictions outside of their own little world. In Barbados a 10 year old can consume booze lawfully if accompanied by a parent or guardian. Perhaps she should go visit and teach them the error of their ways....

In some European countries you can buy and consume beer and wine aged 16 but need to be 18 to purchase distilled alcohol.

Mine, for instance (Denmark). It’s not illegal for kids to drink. Only to buy it and get served in bars. What the parents do in their own home is their problem.

We will be cruising in February with two 21 year olds and two 19 years (who would be legal in Canada but not on the cruise) they are sharing a room. I am not sure how strict they will be on this cruise, one year when they were 16 and 18 and they were both served champagne in michaels club, so not sure how it will be on this cruise. We are of the mind set that our children are responsible enough to have cocktails at home, this doesn't change because of a border. We will always respect the laws on the ship in public places, I would not want any employees to suffer the consequences, but I will be more lenient in our suite and theirs. We will stock their fridge with beverages that they enjoy and we always have wine or champagne in our room. I wish we could sign a waiver, but I understand why we can't. Every island we are visiting has a drinking age of 16-18, so I am sure they will be bar hopping, with their parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles leading the way!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be cruising in February with two 21 year olds and two 19 years (who would be legal in Canada but not on the cruise) they are sharing a room. I am not sure how strict they will be on this cruise, one year when they were 16 and 18 and they were both served champagne in michaels club, so not sure how it will be on this cruise. We are of the mind set that our children are responsible enough to have cocktails at home, this doesn't change because of a border. We will always respect the laws on the ship in public places, I would not want any employees to suffer the consequences, but I will be more lenient in our suite and theirs. We will stock their fridge with beverages that they enjoy and we always have wine or champagne in our room. I wish we could sign a waiver, but I understand why we can't. Every island we are visiting has a drinking age of 16-18, so I am sure they will be bar hopping, with their parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles leading the way!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

well apparently you'll be kicked off the ship:rolleyes:. Even though those of us who have actually brought kids and given them a drink have had no issues with it. I'm sure the cruise line would have a talk with you if your kids were getting blasted and causing a scene. The policy (yea the one they ignore) just says they will consider you for discipline. Oh slap my wrist if you must.....

Utterly untrue. The internet is not a great place to obtain legal counsel.

Depending upon the circumstances a parent or other adult who knowingly allows a minor to drink can be held criminally liable for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, child abuse, child neglect, and other more specific ,local and state criminal ordinances and statutes. This can also be extended to negligent homicide if the minor is served by a social host (similar to dram laws for commercial establishments). Civil liability would most likely fall under negligent supervision of a minor, and negligence regarding any property or person damage done by the minor. It is also not unusual for people to be found guilty both criminally and civilly. Especially when the adults involved have assets. Personally, I think they should be thrown in jail and stripped of substantial assets, in addition to having their kids removed.

Maybe you should actually research the law in your own state.

From the Alcohol Policy Institute System of the National Institutes of Health:

https://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/APIS_State_Profile.html?state=NY

From a very well researched article in the Washington Post last year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/18/where-teenagers-can-legally-drink-in-the-u-s-yes-really/?utm_term=.387314d4d8ad

"But New York's actual underage drinking statute makes an explicit exception for drinking with parents: "A person under the age of twenty-one years may possess any alcoholic beverage with intent to consume if the alcoholic beverage is given ... to the person under twenty-one years of age by that person's parent or guardian.""

In fact, the Post article states there is some form of legal exception in 37 (i.e., the vast majority) states.

The ship still gets to follow the ship's rules, no matter how stupid, so the parent is in violation of the guest policy by providing alcohol even in their own cabin.

If you read the Celebrity policy it does say that depending on the port of disembarkation or ports visited the adult can sign a waiver. In Europe over 18 can drink. However I’ve found that any US port even San Juan where the legal age is 18 Celebrity doesn’t adhere to that, goes with the US laws. That being said they don’t know what they are drinking once it’s to them unless they act a fool. My niece was w/ us on the Summit years ago and shared our drinks. Once there at the table unless specific glasses they won’t know unless the minors are acting inebriated. No big worry on criminal internet when on a ship, they won’t be driving or causing harm as they should always be w/ a parent. I wouldn’t ever consider buying for a minor in the States but on a ship in a controlled environment when they will always be w/ me I don’t have an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow I guess I opened a can of worms and some judginess.

My daughter legally consumes alcohol in Canada where we live. She lives on her own and supports herself while studying to be a chemical engineer. She does enjoy a drink or two when she has downtime. She is an A student who was brought up to respect herself and understand the risk of any intoxicant. As her parents we are very proud of her and her balanced approach to life.

I plan to pay for any drink she consumes and seeing as there is a group of aunties and grandparents coming with us she will be surrounded with loving supervision. In our family get togethers she has enjoyed cocktail hour before dinner and a glass of wine with it for a while now and we hoped that would continue on this vacation.

She works hard and deserves a vacation during reading week. This isn't about money and I appreciate that not everyone has the same values as we do.

I honestly think celebrity's policy is about limiting liability rather than casting judgment on drinkers.

Sorry. I meant to thank everyone for their answers. Would love to hear more feedback from folks with actual experience of sailing with young adults on celebrity. Thank you again.

...and make sure you post your experiences when you return from your cruise. Bon Voyage.

My daughter legally consumes alcohol in Canada where we live. She lives on her own and supports herself while studying to be a chemical engineer. She does enjoy a drink or two when she has downtime. She is an A student who was brought up to respect herself and understand the risk of any intoxicant. As her parents we are very proud of her and her balanced approach to life.

I plan to pay for any drink she consumes and seeing as there is a group of aunties and grandparents coming with us she will be surrounded with loving supervision. In our family get togethers she has enjoyed cocktail hour before dinner and a glass of wine with it for a while now and we hoped that would continue on this vacation.

She works hard and deserves a vacation during reading week. This isn't about money and I appreciate that not everyone has the same values as we do.

I honestly think celebrity's policy is about limiting liability rather than casting judgment on drinkers.

As one of that very small group of Americans who was 18 and legal and then 20 and illegal, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, who also lived for a number of years in Asia and Europe, I totally get where you're coming from. We didn't have kids to sail with, so I have no experience to help you with. Celebrity and RCI's (at least, maybe others) decision to abide by the laws of the port of embarkation is interesting and somewhat confusing for Canadians and Europeans, in particular, but it is what it is, as they say. Kind of like having to be 21 to have a cabin in their own name, unless married, which makes your miraculously more mature. Oh well. Like I say, their ship, their rules...

judginess.... oh yea, lots of that here!

Hey, my middle daughter is in a chemical engineering program too! My others are in healthcare or school for it, so I have no idea where chemical engineering came from.

Edited by TFLG

Fish Lover your answer is incorrect in most states. This does vary state to state but most states in the USA allow parents to serve their own children alcoholic beverages at home when at least one parent is present. Some states also allow minor children to be served at establishments, such as bars and restaurants, as long as a consenting parent is present.

If you don't believe me then try an internet search on the subject.

Thanks for this, the ignorance displayed here is truly remarkable. A few posts referring to those over 19 as "minors" It's amazing that legal adults have to have a parents permission for anything.

. If it were I in change, anyone caught doing so would be let off at the next port.

The 10 o'clock captain's briefing full of rules followed by threats of punishments and then evictions would be memorable if you were.

Thankfully, the chances of you ever being "in charge" seems remote.

Sorry. I meant to thank everyone for their answers. Would love to hear more feedback from folks with actual experience of sailing with young adults on celebrity. Thank you again.

Our youngest is going into fourth year software engineering next year. He switched out of chemical after first year, probably too hard for him.;) Anyways we took him on Celebrity a couple of years ago and other than being a bit bored by all the old folks he had a good time and didn't seem too restricted with the drinks age policy. Like most 'rules' or 'codes' on Celebrity the crew and passengers treat them like Captain Barbarossa in those Pirates movies treated the pirate code: “The code is more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules.” :D

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for this, the ignorance displayed here is truly remarkable. A few posts referring to those over 19 as "minors" It's amazing that legal adults have to have a parents permission for anything.

Same situation has come up in the past many times and it always amazed me why the cruise line has to ask permission of parents for a legal adult to drink. Just set a rule and follow it.

Lsimon who I am very happy to see back on the board is correct about each state having their own rules. I will add to that. My last 6 years at work in my NJ Police Department I was Chief of Detectives and one of my assignments was to investigate and assess the Alcohol violations in my community. Not only are there state laws but also county and municipal laws that govern violations so making a blanket statement that underage kids can't drink in their own homes even with parents permission is not valid. Most posting on this board would not believe what some of the laws are since many of them go back to prohibition.

Someone mentioned earlier about married couples under 21 being allowed to have their own room on Celebrity. This actually happened I'm guessing about 15 years when the discussion came up and someone mentioned that on their cruise there was a married couple, he was 17 and she was 18 and they were on their Honeymoon in their own room.