Not Impressed

MAF23

Thanks for the feedback and I think as someone mentioned not all cruise lines are for everyone...this just isn't ours. I figured my experience might help someone decide one way or not.

I do have to say we have a great stateroom attendant and great main server at the MDR. MDR food was better than expected. Where we did experience downright rude employees was definitely in the Windjammer and many of the bars. My immediate family and the other traveling with us all had stories of the rudeness throughout. My simple one was at Windjammer asking for a slice of ham at breakfast, the employee at the carving station told me there was enough there...it was just the dry end of the ham chopped up. As I walked away he offered to slice more. My Dad ordered a soda in the comedy club, the waiter told him "I guess I can get you that"...obviously not happy it was not an actual "drink" order. My Dad is still waiting for that soda. And keep in mind that only 1 of the Coke machines near Sorrento was working after day 5...the one is the arcade was out of order and then the ones in Windjammer only available when it is open. At the Solarium bar I ordered a drink of the day. There is a paper clearly stating what is in that drink....he left out a big portion of that drink. We aren't big drinkers, but enjoy a few on a cruise, so with the prices I expect the alcohol listed. These are just a few of the minor issues we had but there was 7 days of this. Even with talking to a few employees they said RCCL was nothing like other cruise lines they had worked on and mentioned how they would like to go back to those.

Happy for everyone that has a wonderful experience on this cruise line, but wanted to share my not so great things.

I did not eat at Windjammer. It's a buffet, and I made my usual assumptions about a buffet. And it appears I was correct.

If you're not doing specialty, I agree with you, MDR is really the only way to go. Everything else is cheap garbage which is why restaurants like Sorrento's and Wipe Out Cafe are strategically placed where the masses congregate. The goal is to get you to eat the pizza and burgers and steer you clear of the higher-quality food served in MDR. We attempted to eat the Solarium buffet one day for lunch because it is so convenient to the pool. We didn't even finish our plates, and instead just left and went to the MDR. The food was that bad.

As I mentioned, my experience in MDR was mostly positive but it was evident that there simply was not enough staff to keep things running efficiently. Lukewarm food is an obvious indicator that there is a hiccup in the system. Fortunately, the good out weighed the bad, for us.

I received excellent bar service, but I'm also one to be generous on the first day, which leaves a lasting impression. I had the deluxe drink package and am glad I did. In particular the drinks made on the pool deck were overpriced and inconsistent with liquor type and pours, as you mentioned. If I was paying the typical $11-$13 per-drink price, I would not have been a happy camper.

Guess we have been lucky. Been on the Oasis numerous times, and always have had a great time and never came across any rude RCCL staff.

Dennis, I suspect you are not just lucky....I suspect you approach everything with a smile and some positive energy. I know I do, and that is why I can't say I have run into rude staff members on any of the Royal cruises we have been on.

I believe you give off 'positive vibes' and you get positive results. Even when something wasn't available in the WJ or in the MDR, I always have been able to be accommodated.

Sometimes I think passengers confuse 'hurried and in a rush' employees with 'rude'. There is a big difference and a way to handle the situation to make sure the cruiser is accommodated....then there is that 'smile' behavior AGAIN, along with the word "please'.

Thats interesting because I was on the same cruise with the OP and just posted a 5 star review...especially service. I found everyone I encountered to be amazing and accommodating. However I did not interact with MDR.

I'm not sure you can really compare your experience to the OP's. I ate in the MDR 3x a day. That's a fair amount of time and # of staff you're dealing with over the course of 7 nights. So that being said, the OP's experience could have been completely different than yours. Were you in a suite? Again, that would give you a completely different experience than I had. These are huge variables that I think some forget to take into account.

We've had a terrible waiter...wouldn't accommodate even the smallest request....pissed me off big time. The 'ass't" waiter was awesome, tho, and made up for the shortcomings of the waiter. Guess who got the extra tip? Yes..the assistant!

Nothing is perfect all the time. Not even me....I'm sorry to say!

You should have spoken to the maitre'd for a change of server or table.

I'm not sure you can really compare your experience to the OP's. I ate in the MDR 3x a day. That's a fair amount of time and # of staff you're dealing with over the course of 7 nights. So that being said, the OP's experience could have been completely different than yours. Were you in a suite? Again, that would give you a completely different experience than I had. These are huge variables that I think some forget to take into account.

Basically, no two people can experience the same thing no matter what. It doesn't matter whether it is a discussion of food or as you bring up, accommodations.

From my perspective, and that is all it is, I read the experiences that others have and then - do it myself, and judge for myself, unless they can give me such detailed specifics about what happened to them that they labeled it as 'rude' or 'bad or unacceptable service'.

Just like with entertainment at home....I read the reviews of restaurants and movies, and go for myself.

EVERYONE has a different perspective and expectations.

Go and enjoy for yourself.

This is simply not true. Yes they usually have 5,400 passengers (not 6000) but they also have a 220,000 ton ship. In terms of people per square foot of public areas, Oasis class have more than the smaller ships. Number of guests without considering size is irrelevant. We just came off a fully holiday occupied Oasis and there were several times where our daughter was the only child on the carousel and time where my wife and I were the only people in central park.

I have never been on an Oasis class ship with less than 6000 people

I've been on 10 Royal cruises, from the Sovereign to the Oasis, and have never had a rude crew. Some members better than others, but never a whole or even a majority of the crews.

Same here. We have found RCL service wonderful and at times exceptional. Every once in a while, you find a bartender or Windjammer attendant not having the best day, but we actually use that as incentive to try and perk them up. Generally if you are happy and relaxed, and show them respect, your servers will be happy too. At least that's what we find.

We just got off the same cruise and found most to be wonderful with the exception of one very dismissive Guest Services Rep who basically told me I was nuts when I tried to explain that Diamond+ received a 30% discount on the deluxe drink package (we were charged full price). I finally asked her to go get the printout left in our cabins which showed the perks, She was a little nicer after that but still, I have never experienced that level of rudeness on any other ship so I get the OP's point.

We just got off the same cruise and found most to be wonderful with the exception of one very dismissive Guest Services Rep who basically told me I was nuts when I tried to explain that Diamond+ received a 30% discount on the deluxe drink package (we were charged full price). I finally asked her to go get the printout left in our cabins which showed the perks, She was a little nicer after that but still, I have never experienced that level of rudeness on any other ship so I get the OP's point.

It is terrible that the Guest Services Rep did not know exactly what D+ guests are entitled to -- that is a training issue. Lack of training is inexcusable in my view.

They shouldn't have to be asked by the cruiser to get the printout, they should have the printout handy to reference. But was the rep 'rude' - rude is different than 'uninformed as they should have been -- therefore poorly trained'. Prior to your insistence that she look at the printout, was she 'nasty' -- which to me would mean she was rude. If she was insisting that her position was correct in a 'more direct voice' than you expected (that isn't necessarily rude) and only until the printout CLEARLY identified to her that you were not correctly charged did she become 'nicer' (your description), therefore 'less rude' is my interpretation of your wording.

I find it very interesting that your cruise line of choice is NCL and you think the service there is better when I just got off the Pearl and had pretty much the exact opposite reaction. I haven't sailed the Oasis class but I have sailed on the Serenade the last 2 years and received phenomenal service from everyone. People were friendly, smiling, helpful, and all around seemed interested in making our experience a good one. I just got off the NCL Pearl a few days ago, and while I tried to go in with no expectations it was virtually impossible to keep myself from comparing the differences. I thought (and my cruising companions agreed) that the dining service was mediocre at best and the food was subpar. The exception was in the MDR, where we got both better service AND better food than we had in any of the specialty dining venues (but even though service was better the waitstaff still didn't seem friendly/happy). Service was extremely slow (2 hours in Le Bistro and we skipped dessert, which prompted an attitude from our server) in Le Bistro and Cagneys, steak in multiple venues came out overcooked, we sat with empty drinks a LOT, we found a lot of the food bland, and the buffet food was much worse IMO than what I experienced on the Serenade.

Outside of the mediocre food and bad service in certain venues the cruise was enjoyable, but it simply wasn't up to the experience we had the previous 2 years with Royal. I bought some NextCruise certificates and will give NCL another shot, perhaps on a different ship, but I think it's fair to say I was overall unimpressed (maybe even disappointed) this time around.

You should have spoken to the maitre'd for a change of server or table.

Great post. About 5 years back, we were seated at a table for 12 in the MDR. I am sure the other 10 cruisers were great people, except none of them understood/spoke English (I believe they were from Quebec and only spoke French and I had zero knowledge of French). On the first night, the Head Waiter came by to introduce himself, and quickly offered to move us to another table (we did not ask for a table change). I was most impressed with his initiative and the table he reassigned to us.

I

If you're not doing specialty, I agree with you, MDR is really the only way to go. Everything else is cheap garbage which is why restaurants like Sorrento's and Wipe Out Cafe are strategically placed where the masses congregate. The goal is to get you to eat the pizza and burgers and steer you clear of the higher-quality food served in MDR. We attempted to eat the Solarium buffet one day for lunch because it is so convenient to the pool. We didn't even finish our plates, and instead just left and went to the MDR. The food was that bad.

I received excellent bar service, but I'm also one to be generous on the first day, which leaves a lasting impression. I had the deluxe drink package and am glad I did. In particular the drinks made on the pool deck were overpriced and inconsistent with liquor type and pours, as you mentioned. If I was paying the typical $11-$13 per-drink price, I would not have been a happy camper.

I am sure I will be banned from here for posting this, but I think you sound kind of pompous saying all food other than the dining room is garbage. I happen to like going to the Park Cafe and my opinion is far different from yours.

Bragging about tipping the bar tender the first night also gives me the same opinion. Many of us don't feel the need to "bribe" the bartender to get good service, but do tip extra per drink or at the end if we use the same bartender/server.

We do the specialty restaurants and may have 1 dinner in the MDR, but don't see the need to brag about it. I guess I just feel your post is offensive to me, and maybe to others, but I could be wrong.

I am sure I will be banned from here for posting this, but I think you sound kind of pompous saying all food other than the dining room is garbage. I happen to like going to the Park Cafe and my opinion is far different from yours.

Bragging about tipping the bar tender the first night also gives me the same opinion. Many of us don't feel the need to "bribe" the bartender to get good service, but do tip extra per drink or at the end if we use the same bartender/server.

We do the specialty restaurants and may have 1 dinner in the MDR, but don't see the need to brag about it. I guess I just feel your post is offensive to me, and maybe to others, but I could be wrong.

I would love to address your other points but first I must ask...what did I say that "offended" you? Is it because we share different points of view? If so, I hate to tell you, but you really shouldn't be on a website named "cruise critic" if you're unable to accept "critics" other than yours.

I would love to address your other points but first I must ask...what did I say that "offended" you? Is it because we share different points of view? If so, I hate to tell you, but you really shouldn't be on a website named "cruise critic" if you're unable to accept "critics" other than yours.

Calling the food garbage if it isn't served in the dining room or specialty restaurant is what offended me. I don't eat garbage. It doesn't bother me that your opinion of yourself is so high, as I just find it amusing, but insulting me and many cruisers is not what cruise critic is about and that's what I feel you have done.

Calling the food garbage if it isn't served in the dining room or specialty restaurant is what offended me. I don't eat garbage. It doesn't bother me that your opinion of yourself is so high, as I just find it amusing, but insulting me and many cruisers is not what cruise critic is about and that's what I feel you have done.

Everything I've eaten off of buffets on Royal is mediocre and yes, in my opinion garbage compared to other options. Sorry you disagree with me, but don't let opinions other than yours hurt your feelings or offend you.

Have a great day. :)

Everything I've eaten off of buffets on Royal is mediocre and yes, in my opinion garbage compared to other options. Sorry you disagree with me, but don't let opinions other than yours hurt your feelings or offend you.

In a total of two cruises (on one class) you've eaten everything? Maybe drink less and taste the food with an open mind. Yours doesn't seem to be.

I agree! We were on the ship in October and experienced good service with everyone EXCEPT guest services. The lines were long and slow. We kept trying to get them to fix the multiple errors on our account only to have to come back again the next day and do it all over. We did this for 5 days straight. They never had a smile on their face when we approached the counter and were rude. Even when we would just show up to request change (so we can tip their staff extra) they were rude. We are Pinnacle and it was like pulling teeth trying to get our 40% discount.

I was on the same sailing as you. Service was great for the most part, but things headed south in the main dining room as the cruise progressed, both with service and food. Specifically, main issues were with food temperature. Upon speaking to other cruisers throughout the week, I learned this was the norm, and not an isolated experience.

I too was on that sailing. Our waiter and assistant appeared to be totally new at their jobs. They were polite and they were trying. They just weren't good at the job. Food in general was not up to the standard I expect after 30+ cruises on several lines. I also experienced rudeness by staff members on at least two occasions. OTOH, our room steward was excellent and the extra tip to him was well deserved.The rest of them...eh.

I too was on that sailing. Our waiter and assistant appeared to be totally new at their jobs. They were polite and they were trying. They just weren't good at the job. Food in general was not up to the standard I expect after 30+ cruises on several lines. I also experienced rudeness by staff members on at least two occasions. OTOH, our room steward was excellent and the extra tip to him was well deserved.The rest of them...eh.

Of the hundreds of crew we all see throughout the week, I'll be glad to give one or two a pass because they are having a bad day. We all have them!.

There however was only one instance of an employee that I thought should have been severely reprimanded. It was the maitred on an Explorer cruise many years ago when he stood in the doorway at end of first seating waiting for tip. This before auto gratuities. Our table left together and as we filed by some didn't give him an envelope. Out of his mouth, a little louder than I'm sure he meant came the words "Thanks for nothing". A lot of us heard it and the person behind us put the envelope back in his pocket.

Maybe if you stuck with mediocre instead of the hyperbole your comment would have more credibility.

I don't agree with your "Garbage" assessment either.

Maybe there is something wrong with YOUR tastebuds, or you are just a complainer. Either way, it wasn't an appropriate way to describe it.

I'm not defending their rude behavior but it helps to be reminded that many, many service staff aboard all of the ships are from the Islands. Many of the individuals you're dealing with on the ship have lost their homes due to this season's hurricanes.