Just booked my first Celebrity cruise

coffeekid

Have just booked our first Celebrity cruise. Have only ever cruised Royal Caribbean in the past (we are diamond with them so get elite on celebrity). Looking forward to it - I suspect it is going to be reasonably similar / familiar to Royal Caribbean?

Congratulations [emoji323]. You will enjoy - having the Elite status equivalency will be nice for you.

I've never sailed Royal so can't comment on how similar, but my inclination is that you will find this more relaxing (just based on what I've read).

Which ship?

Sailing on Eclipse

I personally love the S-class ships, so I think you made a great choice!

When you arrive in your stateroom, there should be a letter regarding your Elite level reciprocity and benefits for the cruise, so make sure to look out for that.

If you haven't already, you might want to consider contacting celebrity in advance to make sure your elite level reciprocity is already on your folio so you don't have to spend time onboard at guests services. This may also be indicated online with your reservation if you check there first.

If you have specific questions about the Celebrity experience, I'd be happy to answer what I can, as I'm sure many in the CC will as well.

Have just booked our first Celebrity cruise. Have only ever cruised Royal Caribbean in the past (we are diamond with them so get elite on celebrity). Looking forward to it - I suspect it is going to be reasonably similar / familiar to Royal Caribbean?

We actually find them quite different...especially when comparing to the mega ships...

Whilst RC wins on entertainment we find Celebrity better on the food front (both included and Speciality). We also find Celebrity just sooooo much more relaxing! We get off a RC ship needing a holiday, we get off a Celebrity ship relaxed and refreshed!

Re Elite/Diamond...Longer drinking time on RC but nicer atmosphere on Celebrity, hope you enjoy!

Yea - we have found food quality on the decline on Royal in recent years and have eaten more in speciality restaurants (maybe that’s their plan).

Do you find the food in the MDR and buffet good (although I know food is a subjective thing)? Trying to decide whether to book a speciality dining package or not.

Yea - we have found food quality on the decline on Royal in recent years and have eaten more in speciality restaurants (maybe that’s their plan).

Do you find the food in the MDR and buffet good (although I know food is a subjective thing)? Trying to decide whether to book a speciality dining package or not.

Food is subjective, as you state. We’ve sailed X once (a year ago) and thought food was very good in both MDR and Buffet.

More experienced cruisers may say the quality of food is declining on X, similar to your experience on Royal.

With that said, I concur with a prior comment on the Lawn Club Grill - it’s a ‘don’t miss’ IMO. Great food and fantastic venue.

Enjoy your X cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We actually find them quite different...especially when comparing to the mega ships...

Whilst RC wins on entertainment we find Celebrity better on the food front (both included and Speciality). We also find Celebrity just sooooo much more relaxing! We get off a RC ship needing a holiday, we get off a Celebrity ship relaxed and refreshed!

Agree with the above!

Look forward to having a WONDERFUL Celebrity cruise! :D

The big difference between X and RC that I found has been the entertainment level, there’s much more to do on an RC cruise for activities than an X cruise. RC keeps a family entertained and busy while X is more subdued and offers more spa and pampering options.

Have you contacted Celebrity's Captain's Club desk and provided them with your Crown and Anchor numbers? If not you will need to do this to ensure your tier level is recognized and to receive you Captain's Club numbers.

Have you contacted Celebrity's Captain's Club desk and provided them with your Crown and Anchor numbers? If not you will need to do this to ensure your tier level is recognized and to receive you Captain's Club numbers.

In addition, once you have gotten your Captains Club number, and linked it to your Crown and Anchor number, make sure that your Captains Club number is linked to your booking. That will assure that you get the Elite amenities. Considering the recent changes on the Celebrity website, I'd recommend doing that by phone to the Captains Club at 1-800760-0654 to assure it being done correctly and not lost is cyber space!

The Eclipse is a beautiful ship. We last sailed her last year and loved our experience. Our favorite specialty restaurant is Murano. If Captain Leo is Master when you sail, don't miss "Liars Club." He's a hoot! The food and service in the MDR and the buffet are good. Eclipse doesn't have a Lawn Club restaurant, but does have the Hot Glass Shows. Those are interesting and worth a visit. Have a wonderful cruise.

The biggest difference from my experience is that the energy level is higher on RCCL and the entertainment is superior. The food in the MDR is excellent with Celebrity. You may want to consider a Specialty Restaurant for a special occasion. If so, Murano is my choice.

In Murano, we love the Lobster Murano, prepared tableside as well as the Chateaubriand. Also the Crepes Balon Rouge (another tableside preparation), the Grand Marnier soufflé are both wonderful, as is the ambience and the service.

Royal is much more fun with much better entertainment.

Royal is much more fun with much better entertainment.

I guess that depends on who you are and what you enjoy. We prefer not having to make reservations for shows, and aren't looking for rock walls, wave pools, zip lines, death slides, carousels or bumper cars. Some folks love those. We also like the level of service on Celebrity better than what we've received in Royal. Pardon the pun, but it's whatever floats your boat!

Food is subjective....I suggest you read the thoughts and opinions of several posters...

The buffet on Eclipse is very well laid out. Avoid the really hectic times and it is great for informal dining. We particularly enjoy the Indian selection.

Why not try the MDR for a night or two then decide if you want a dining package or just a night or two in speciality restaurants?

Murano is our favourite speciality, we love the tableside preparation and menu choices. Tuscan is a steakhouse with great wake views (particularly nice to dine in when leaving a port), Q’sine is more of a ‘fun’ than fine dining restaurant but still worth a visit. Discounts are frequently available so worth a chat with the M’D.

Hope you have a great cruise!

This is based our recent experience with both X and RCI, first cruise on each and we have cruised previously on Princess and HAL.

Short summary--we won't cruise RCI again unless it has an itinerary we can't get on another line. We liked the ship (Radiance, around NZ), the cabin was great (aft balcony), and the port stops were truly excellent. BUT:

We found the buffet unusable after the first day (embarkation). All I wanted was a nice roast beef or turkey sandwich for lunch each day. Found great RB the first day, never again. After the first day, they had various 'mystery meats' for sandwiches, didn't even look good (olive loaf??) Breakfast and lunch were painful to put together--you had to go to multiple stations to make a simple breakfast or salad, or to get a decent lunch. We eventually found Park Cafe and ate our breakfasts and lunches there.

MDR food was quite good and the staff always worked with me to get me rare cooked beef, lamb, etc. Drink service was slow but I always arrived with a glass of wine, so that helped. Staff got better as cruise progressed.

Park Cafe staff was very inattentive at times. You would walk up, staff person on duty would have his back to you doing some paperwork or something. waited several minutes each time to get his attention. (Yes, I could have coughed or said something but I was curious how long it would take before he looked behind him and acknowledged me, and I wasn't going to keel over from hunger or anything). Once I had their attention, it was great.

But, at Park Cafe, they acted like crisps (chips in the US) were some special item that was hard to procure. They had a certain number of bags of chips to give out each day, and once they were gone, that was it. Not a big problem for us--we went early and got a bag or 2 for us. Others figured it out and were taking 8-10 bags. Encouraged a lot of bad behavior over such a simple and cheap item.

Cabin steward was good but very distant. We rarely saw him and he was hard to find when we needed something. First cabin steward we didn't tip extra.

X (Solstice) was better because:

I loved their buffet. Poached eggs made fresh, easy to find what I wanted, it all tasted great. I loved the late afternoon sandwiches they put out as snacks.

I could easily make a good lunch at the buffet, it was organized more logically. Sandwiches were easy to get, great variety of recognizable meats and salads.

MDR food was excellent, staff was better than on RCI, especailly the wine steward. Food was a better quality and they cooked it the way I wanted it.

Cabin steward was easier to find and friendlier.

Just came away thinking RCI fell a bit flat compaed to X. We travelled with some friends who agreed they wouldn't use RCI again either.

I'm sure you will do fine with either line, this is just our limited expereince, but you asked :)

ML