Adjusting taxes when you move a booking

Hi

I have run into this once before but forgot how it is solved...

When you move a booking from an itinerary with high taxes e. g. $329 to an itinerary with a lot lower taxes e. g. $96 my travel agent keeps telling me that RCI will not adjust the taxes thus the total-fare will always be about $200 higher than what they sell on their website...because RCI refuses to adjust the taxes.:confused::eek:

I seem to remember that there was a way to get RCI to adjust the taxes.

Thank you for your help!

I am always booking under US rules with a US travel agent....

Cancelling would result in loosing my NCB credit - strange as this is the 2. time I run into this!

Wonder if sending a mail to C+A would help..... Because overpaying $200 in taxes would really be a bummer!

Any suggestion as to whom to contact?

Thanks!

I am always booking under US rules with a US travel agent....

Cancelling would result in loosing my NCB credit - strange as this is the 2. time I run into this!

Wonder if sending a mail to C+A would help..... Because overpaying $200 in taxes would really be a bummer!

Any suggestion as to whom to contact?

Thanks!

Not sure if this is feasible for you, but one technique is to ask the TA for a 3-way phone call between you, RC, and the TA.

I’ve had the opposite happen several times. The port fees and taxes have gone up and I’ve called for a price drop and they gave me the price drop but my taxes stayed at the lower rate and were not adjusted up.

These have all be with reservations that were booked on board. One of the agents at one time mentioned that with the next cruise carts they locked the taxes in when you first booked. They has a similar issue with the exchange rate for gratuities being locked in to the rate that you first booked at so years later I was still getting gratuities at par.

Hi

good idea about the phone call.... but that will not work right now due to time-zones and cost......

I think I will mail corporate and ask them to explain as why they will not adjust the taxes....

Also remembered how it was solved last time..... I canceled my cruise:eek::rolleyes:

I do not have that option this time...

Wonder if it is even legal to overcharge the taxes! :mad:

I’ve had the opposite happen several times. The port fees and taxes have gone up and I’ve called for a price drop and they gave me the price drop but my taxes stayed at the lower rate and were not adjusted up.

These have all be with reservations that were booked on board. One of the agents at one time mentioned that with the next cruise carts they locked the taxes in when you first booked. They has a similar issue with the exchange rate for gratuities being locked in to the rate that you first booked at so years later I was still getting gratuities at par.

Thanks for the input - still where in the paperwork does it say they can lock in the taxes?

This is not right!

:mad:

Hi

good idea about the phone call.... but that will not work right now due to time-zones and cost......

I think I will mail corporate and ask them to explain as why they will not adjust the taxes....

Also remembered how it was solved last time..... I canceled my cruise:eek::rolleyes:

I do not have that option this time...

Wonder if it is even legal to overcharge the taxes! :mad:

Do you have Royal's Guest Copy of your booking confrmation? This will clearly show what are taxes. Sometimes travel agents combine taxes and other fees into one line item on the travel agent invoice. If you don't have this document, request it from your agent.

It is not that I am mistaken - my agent can not give me the RCI website price because RCI will not adjust the taxes to that same level he claims - So I have the RCI website price + extra $200 in taxes....

I have now requested a statement from RCI as to who and how legally they "lock-in" taxes when you change sailings!

If I cancel and rebook I would loose my low deposit + NCC!

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

OK so I got it solved this time....

They could not find where in the CoC it allows them to keep overpaid taxes - all they could find was an internal memo not to adjust taxes when the customer changes to a "cheaper" itinerary with lower taxes!:o

What a scam!

RCI is just such a dishonest company using every scam they can - to take advantage of their customers:eek:

OK so I got it solved this time....

They could not find where in the CoC it allows them to keep overpaid taxes - all they could find was an internal memo not to adjust taxes when the customer changes to a "cheaper" itinerary with lower taxes!:o

What a scam!

RCI is just such a dishonest company using every scam they can - to take advantage of their customers:eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just checked with a friend going on the same cruise.... He did not even notice they were taking advantage of him - so the scam works!:mad:

It's not the $$ it's the creepy attitude of RCI that makes me mad!

You have to check everything and always assume they will try to take advantage of you from every angle they can!:eek:

Putting knowingly false taxes on an invoice is very dishonest IMHO!

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

This past Tuesday I noticed that the taxes and fees for my July 2018 cruise were lower than what was listed on my invoice (I booked in Sept). I called to ask to have the taxes and fees lowered and was told that the only way it could be done was if I cancelled and rebooked - which was not advantageous for me to do. I wanted to know why, if the taxes and fees were lower now, that I couldn't get the amount adjusted. I was told that whatever your fees are when you book is on for the life of the reservation. I asked to know what my separate taxes and port fees amounts were. I was told that the two were lumped together and there was no way to know what they were individually. I asked what my taxes were based on and was told that the only people who would know was a revenue analyst. I was told that revenue comes up with an estimate of the taxes and port fees at any given time and the amount can go higher or lower but there is no adjustment after you book.

Royal is taking advantage of their customers wherever they can and they are a very dishonest company IMHO - people have to be aware of that and get them back wherever they can!:p

I think I am pretty good in fighting them back and getting even - still does not make it right to scam your customers.

I would stop sailing them immediately..... but as of now I think they do have some of the best ship features... maybe that will change with other lines building new ships.

I hate the company but like most of their ships....

So you think it is right for a company to put false taxes on invoices because it is in their favor?

BTW I checked my old invoices when the taxes went up they DO adjust every time - so their claim is false again...

You should probably find a better one to sail on, seems you aren’t happy with Royal.

My guess is he hasn’t found a better one to sail on. Some people just need to feel like they’re being screwed by the big guy.

Gregg