Celebrity Insurance Questions

Eliz

Has anyone purchased the X insurance and made a claim? I just booked a March cruise yesterday and made final payment today. I've always bought CSA in the past...never had a claim. The price differential is considerable so I'm wondering about the coverage, etc. Thanks for your help.

Elizabeth

Yes, we buy Celebrity insurance and had a claim in 2012. My DH was admitted to the hospital as the ship was pulling out of San Diego on its way to Hawaii, thus interrupting our trip. The process was pretty simple, they even paid our insurance co-pay. We were not totally reimbursed for our change in airfare or my extra hotel costs but all in all we were happy with the coverage.

We've done well with Royal C ins...could not go due to emergency gall bladder after final payment. Had refundable air...Process fairly simple...

Also did okay with pvt ins for a British Isles cruise due to serious illness of family member after final payment...we chose pvt so air was covered, but we still lost alot to airline/ airport fees. Process a bit more complicated with drs letters etc but it worked out.

Now that we are older and on Medicare, we book Celeb Ins but also an added pvt med and evac policy...

Ins is worth it..,you never know.

A word of caution... insurance is so case dependent one’s prior experience (positive or otherwise) does not necessarily mean a subsequent claim will be responded to (positive or otherwise) in the same manner unless they have the same or extremely similar fact patterns.

Helen’s advice to compare policies is sound advice.

Here’s hoping you pay a low premium and won’t need to use whatever product you select.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you charged your airfare and cruise on a credit card, look at the insurance they offered. I used to buy trip insurance for cruises but learned that I could probably get reimbursed if I charged on my cc. I submitted a claim in August for a land trip that was cancelled while we were on it due to a death in the family. Have just submitted a claim (for a much larger amount) for a trip that was interrupted halfway through due to family illness. We do, however, own MedJet medevac insurance (5 year plan) so that helps cover those types of expenses.

Just worth your looking into and calling your credit card benefits rep to confirm.

Please make sure that the Celebrity insurance provides the coverage you want/need....don't assume that Celebrity must offer the "right" package. Medical Insurance $10,000 and Evacuation $25,000 may be woefully inadequate if you need major medical treatment or need full service medical support to fly home after a medical/other problem.

Many years ago, I learned "good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good"....

Yes. I had to have an emergency outpatient procedure at a hospital in Cozumel. I was extremely impressed with the response of the insurance claim team. Fortunately, I was able to remain on the cruise and received all the claim forms the day after I returned home. I was able to file my claim online and the entire claim was paid very quickly.

Please make sure that the Celebrity insurance provides the coverage you want/need....don't assume that Celebrity must offer the "right" package. Medical Insurance $10,000 and Evacuation $25,000 may be woefully inadequate if you need major medical treatment or need full service medical support to fly home after a medical/other problem.

Many years ago, I learned "good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good"....

This is excellent advice. Two most important things to look for are; Pre existing conditions coverage and how much coverage you are getting for Medical and Evacuation. Medical Evacuations can cost a fortune.

Has anyone purchased the X insurance and made a claim? I just booked a March cruise yesterday and made final payment today. I've always bought CSA in the past...never had a claim. The price differential is considerable so I'm wondering about the coverage, etc. Thanks for your help.

Elizabeth

I purchased Celebrity insurance. I was evacuated from the cruise because I fell ill with Pneumonia and transported to the local hospital. Since we were still in the U.S. my medicare and supplemental covered all hospital, ambulance, and doctor charges. However, my credit card was charged for the ship's hospital charges. It took a long while to get reimbursed for those charges because I had to submit to medicare and subsequently my extended insurance. Medicare would not process the first submission because they said they don't pay for ship emergency charges, (Wrong) After several weeks of wrangling they finally sent an EOB to my supplemental and finally to AON the insurance carrier for Celebrity. It was fully paid eventually.

An advocate from the insurance co. was assigned to my case to check on me during the hospital stay. After release they made airline reservations for my wife and I and of course no charge on my part.

I purchased X insurance (actually I purchased pretty much anything the Certified Vacation Planner on the phone suggested as I might have been enjoying my second glass of wine when I booked our cruise) and one month before sailaway I was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

As we were perilously close to the pullout date where we would only get 25% of our money back we decided to cancel our trip while we could get a 50% refund and “eat” the rest if need be, so we could make a treatment decision with a clear head (pun maybe intended.)

As it happened I was wheeled into a 4-hour surgery the very morning we would have flown into Miami. This meant we could use the insurance - I did have to provide statements and forms from my primary care doctor, neurosurgeon, and my neurotologist to assure the insurers that the surgery was a necessity and not something elective.

IIRC we got our refund about 2 months after submitting the claim. We rescheduled the cruise for exactly one year after the missed one, and you’d better wager that I got insurance on that vacation as well!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a rule, you will get better value, coverage and pricing from companies other than the cruise lines.

Here is some interesting information:

https://www.cruzely.com/should-i-buy-cruise-insurance/

In addition to insuremytrip, squaremouth is a good resource. By using these, you have the ability to tailor a policy that fits your needs and budget.

Know your credit card coverage - our Chase card covers almost everything a generic cruise policy offers.

For us, medical evacuation was a priority. There are many misconceptions about evacuation - most medical evacuation coverages only pay the cost to fly you to the nearest facility that qualifies to treat your condition, no matter which country you are in. Most do not cover a trip to your home, or medical facility of choice in the USA. Read the policy carefully. We travel frequently so we bought an extended policy through MedJet Assist.

SO and I were scheduled for a 7-night cruise. Three weeks before departure, his 96 year old father broke a hip. Lots of surgery, including a hip replacement. We had to cancel and notified the Celebrity insurance carrier. We had to submit forms to his dad’s physician. The physician filled out the forms, included a statement that the SO had medical POA for his father and was also the primary caregiver. We received a full refund for both of us in less than three weeks once the paperwork was submitted.

Since this is becoming a subset of the travel insurance forum....I should mention that if you are injured/ill and lucky enough to be evacuated by the US Coast Guard, they do that without charge. (of course, if you fake it, you are going to get a very large bill).

I believe some other countries have the same policy...but I've never found a list of them....and even with a list, some countries will use their military/police or coast guard when they are available...but if they aren't, they'll call in a private company which I guarantee will charge mucho $'s.

• 4 months later...
SO and I were scheduled for a 7-night cruise. Three weeks before departure, his 96 year old father broke a hip. Lots of surgery, including a hip replacement. We had to cancel and notified the Celebrity insurance carrier. We had to submit forms to his dad’s physician. The physician filled out the forms, included a statement that the SO had medical POA for his father and was also the primary caregiver. We received a full refund for both of us in less than three weeks once the paperwork was submitted.

I am in a situation like this. I did purchase the insurance. You mentioned the Physician statement and Power of Attorney for your SO's dad. Did the physician have to fill something out about your SO having POA or did you SO just have to include that page from his/her dad's Trust? I'm scrambling to figure what to do! Thanks for any advice.