Luggage Forwarding/Shipping - Is it worth it?

GypsySonnetGirl

Has anyone used the Luggage Forwarding service offered by Holland America? We are doing a Trans-Atlantic cruise and plan to tour Europe by rail for several days before the cruise and would like not to have to deal with the heavy luggage needed for the two week cruise. Would you recommend this service?

Has anyone used the Luggage Forwarding service offered by Holland America? We are doing a Trans-Atlantic cruise and plan to tour Europe by rail for several days before the cruise and would like not to have to deal with the heavy luggage needed for the two week cruise. Would you recommend this service?

Absolutely! I used the service for the first time in 2014 and was hooked; I have used it for every subsequent cruise, even those departing stateside.

We did exactly as you described in Europe and we felt it was well worth it to get our luggage down to one manageable bag apiece.

We shipped some luggage in Europe as well. It was worth every penny to be able to manage more easily for our land portion :)

We try to travel light whenever possible - after a two week stay in Italy and a 16 day T/A we dropped our large bags at FedEx immediately after debarking and lived out of our carry-ons for a few days in the Keys before taking the Silver Meteor to NY. And, we generally ship to the last hotel stop before embarking.

Different climates and activities involved in different legs of a trip make shipping a serious option.

I am intrigued. Convenience aside, how does the cost compare when the airline charges $80 per suitcase?

When I looked into something similar a few years ago it was much more expensive than the airline fee so I went with the airline. After struggling through the airport with three large bags and a carry-on (I travel solo), I wasn't so sure saving money was really worth it. For my next cruise I have FedEx delivery of two bags as part of the perks - it is so easy. Now I know I will never schlep a number of cases through the airport again. Even when I have to pay for the bags to be delivered I will.

We are crossing the pond 8/3/18 on QM2 to Southhampton then are on our own for 4 nights during which we plan to travel London -> Copenhagen and get on a 30 day HAL cruise back to NYC. It would be great if we could leave some of our luggage with HAL in Southhampton rather than lug it all with us for 4 days. I didn't know this was an option... who should I contact?

We are on a TA from Tampa to Rotterdam. Then we are off the ship for 12 days touring Germany. We then board the Rotterdam again for a 21-day Norwegian Fjords cruise. Would Luggage Forwarding work for us, for storing or holding our luggage for those 12 days in between cruises?

Used Luggage Forward in August- 30 night Baltic trans Atlantic cruise. Shipped my gigantic suitcase to Copenhagen -from my front porch in Pittsburgh to my stateroom in Copenhagen-was well worth the $$. Disembarking in NYC was awful, after going through customs had to drag the suitcase down one level and then had to search for the Luggage Forward agent, however,my suitcase did arrive on my front porch within a week. I was able to track the progress of my suitcase on line which was fun.

We are crossing the pond 8/3/18 on QM2 to Southhampton then are on our own for 4 nights during which we plan to travel London -> Copenhagen and get on a 30 day HAL cruise back to NYC. It would be great if we could leave some of our luggage with HAL in Southhampton rather than lug it all with us for 4 days. I didn't know this was an option... who should I contact?

I'd start by calling Cunard about White Star Luggage service, since you'd be leaving your cases after QM2. We've used them to ship a bag to the ship, never from, but it's always arrived on time. Second call would be HAL. 4 days is a tight time frame. I've used both Cunard and HAL services, all times internationally, and needed more lead time than that because of getting the bag through Customs. But for you, it's all EU and that might make it easier. If Cunard or HAL can't help, try calling carriers like FedEx or DHL. Make sure your last hotel is willing to accept delivery for you.

We try to travel light whenever possible - after a two week stay in Italy and a 16 day T/A we dropped our large bags at FedEx immediately after debarking and lived out of our carry-ons for a few days in the Keys before taking the Silver Meteor to NY. And, we generally ship to the last hotel stop before embarking.

Different climates and activities involved in different legs of a trip make shipping a serious option.

Ooh! I don't want to derail this thread, but would you mind commenting on your experience on my Amtrak thread?

We did exactly as you described in Europe and we felt it was well worth it to get our luggage down to one manageable bag apiece.

The same was true for us as well in both Europe and Alaska.

In Europe our train touring was before the cruise and our big suitcase of cruise clothing was waiting for us in our ship cabin when we boarded.

In Alaska we were touring Canada after the cruise and shipped the large suitcase of cruise clothing home to await our arrival there 2 weeks later.

Doing this we were able to tour with one 22'' suitcase each carrying only what we needed for our casual independent touring.:D

• 3 weeks later...
The same was true for us as well in both Europe and Alaska.

In Europe our train touring was before the cruise and our big suitcase of cruise clothing was waiting for us in our ship cabin when we boarded.

In Alaska we were touring Canada after the cruise and shipped the large suitcase of cruise clothing home to await our arrival there 2 weeks later.

Doing this we were able to tour with one 22'' suitcase each carrying only what we needed for our casual independent touring.:D

We are spending 2 weeks in Tuscany prior to a Mediterranean cruise and have been looking into the shipping service. Do you mind saying what company you used?

Thanks!