Chef's Table Question

CruiseNut24

Has anyone who signed up for the chef's table not been able to be accepted? Do you need to sign up right away when you board, or is there time to explore before attempting to sign up for chef's table? I don't see a way to sign up for this on line before the cruise.

Thanks

The numbers are limited to about 10 per time and often they will only run one Chef's Table per cruise. We were on Royal in September on a 21 night cruise which was operated as a 11 nighter and a 10 nighter. There was one Chefs Table per sector. We booked as soon as we boarded and we lucky enough to be able to attend the first one.

We tried to obtain slots for the Chef’s Table When we cruised on Ruby last year. No luck, even though we called in early. One bit of advice: make sure that the person on the other end enters you when you do call; we were told several times that we would be notified once the chef decided on the day, and didn’t learn until afterward that we had lost out. It was a little disappointing.

We tried to obtain slots for the Chef’s Table When we cruised on Ruby last year. No luck, even though we called in early. One bit of advice: make sure that the person on the other end enters you when you do call; we were told several times that we would be notified once the chef decided on the day, and didn’t learn until afterward that we had lost out. It was a little disappointing.

Once we get to our cabin, calling the dine line for Chef's Table is the first thing I do although we don't sign up on every cruise. On longer cruises, they have more than one night for the Table. I think they go according to when one signs up. They don 't need to advertise after embarkation day!

I can tell you have to be proactive. We've done it twice, both time there was manned station on the first day taking names. You should ask SEVERAL ship reps as soon as you board. Several days later we received call in the cabin saying we had been selected. Had to answer about five questions, all health related. Morning of the dinner, written invitation and meeting instructions delivered to cabin.

Got a video posted:

Has anyone who signed up for the chef's table not been able to be accepted? Do you need to sign up right away when you board, or is there time to explore before attempting to sign up for chef's table? I don't see a way to sign up for this on line before the cruise.

Thanks

We've done Chef's Table five times and only once did we get shut out and that was because a single party booked the entire thing. On our last cruise (Pacific Princess) , there were two Chef Table's to accommodate the requests.

When we get on board, the hubby heads for the dining room to make reservations. He has usually found out ahead of time who he needs to speak with and talks with him directly.

Good luck! It's loads of fun!

We did the Chef’s Table in October on our TA on the Royal. Heard about it from a single gal who was staying in our hotel in Barcelona pre-cruise. Following her advice, we booked as soon as we boarded, checked up on it a couple of times, and were told we would be notified....no guarantees. We were notified about halfway through the 15 day cruise. It was spectacular!! Unfortunately, the lady who told us about it in the first place was NOT chosen, though she had put in her request at the same time as us. I can only guess it was because it was all couples (10 people), and she was booking as a single. I may be wrong, but if you are a single, I would try to find a friend to book a twosome with.

Is the menu at the chef's discretion or is it always the same menu. if anyone has the menu, could you post it please.

The menu is at the chef's discretion and you are not told in advance what you are going to eat. It is a surprise.

The chef's table begins in the kitchen and the total time from beginning to end was three and a half hours.

39316775721_d39e943c6d_z.jpg

It begins in the kitchen with Hors d'oeuvres and champagne.

You will meet the chef but he is not going to tell you what he has planned

24283322867_00af9531c4_z.jpg

More Hors d'oeuvres and wine upon sitting down at the table. Expect stares from others in the dining room that have no clue what is going on.

38764744401_ffd54d1665_z.jpg

Best meal I ever had. DH was rejected due to a shell fish allergy so there were nine at the table.

Note the size of the lobster tail.

38764744221_64a2e70aaf_z.jpg

Fabulous deserts

24453475227_d5563c643e_z.jpg

As others have mentioned sign up immediately upon boarding. Worth the money in my opinion. Will do it again

Howard

It is at the Chef’s discretion. We have had a different menu each of the three times we have done the CT.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, we've been on another cruise line and it is the same on all ships. We sail in a little over 3 weeks out of Singapore on Sapphire Princess.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

Thanks, we've been on another cruise line and it is the same on all ships. We sail in a little over 3 weeks out of Singapore on Sapphire Princess.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

There will be 5-6 appetizers in the galley before you go to the DR. There are similarities and there will be a risotto course, a sorbet, the entree, a cheese dish and dessert but the menu items have not been the same.

On our Alaska cruise only 3 people signed up so they did not do the Chef's Table. :(

On one of our Alaska cruises, we found a large group of drink runners just sitting on Lido deck. Seems NO ONE was drinking. We had never been among so many cheap people at one time.

I have done three Chef's Tables on Princess ships. We signed up for another one but were not chosen. On the Sapphire Princess in Alaska many years ago, they had two--actually advertised the second one in the Patter to drum up business. We had friends who saw us partaking in the first one and tried to sign up for the second. But they missed out.

Unfortunately for us, the menu has been a little too repetitive. On all three of mine, they did the medieval spiked tower with beef, pork, and veal tenderloins. Here's an old review on CBS with a description.

We switched over to doing the Ultimate Balcony Dinner for special occasions. We'll let others enjoy the Chef's Table. We had our fourth UBD earlier this month on the Royal for my birthday. It was great.

How much does this cost? Does it happen on all the ships? I will be on the Grand in March. This would be a nice way to celebrate my birthday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

$95/person except on the Royal class ships where it is $115/person. If you don’t drink alcohol there is a $15/person discount.

Included with the CT is free flowing Champagne in the Galley and white and red wine during dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One way to get rejected is to have an allergy to anything.

Having attended maybe 12 Chef's Tables on various Princess ships we have given up going to them as it almost always seems to be veal on the menu.

Not allergic to it but won't eat veal. Can't understand the fascination with it.

And sometimes they are a bit stingy with the wine, getting a decent amount poured at a time can be difficult, after all its not like its a wine tasting................................ I like a well filled glass, not an inch in the bottom.

I did like what one poster described as the medieval spike with grilled meats, when we had it they flambeed it and called it Il Popo after a volcano.in Mexico.

We loved it on the Grand and hope to do it again soon. The one we were at they were not stingy with the wine at all. Everything was beautiful and delicious. We did joke that it felt like being on "Man vs Food" and food clearly won- if you go , make sure you go hungry. We both wanted to collapse into a food coma when it was over but I had to pick my kids up from the club then they wanted to eat at the buffet- it was not where I wanted to go after that meal!

We signed up on our cruise on the Coral in September and didn't make the cut - signed up again as a party of 6 (with 2 other couples we "met" here on CC) and were fortunate to be among the chosen few for the New Year's cruise we just got home from. They did 2 CTs on this cruise as there was a ton of interest (there were 20 of us in our "orientation" and the maitre'd said they had another 20 waitlisted!) We were on board (out of FLL) by 11:30 and didn't have any luck calling the DINE line so we were directed to the Crown Grill by a couple of different staff members. We showed up around 12:30 when we were told the maitre'd would be taking special requests for the dining room and we were able to submit all the names and cabin numbers for everyone in our party. Another member of our party also provided everyone's info on the same day...not sure if having all our info show up x2 was any help in getting us in, but it was a lovely experience and a fantastic dinner so we are thankful to have been able to take part!