NEED SOME HELP, Stepping outside of the box.......

Lois R

Sweaters............I actually have a sweater that is MADE IN IRELAND.........it is a purchase I made through QVC.........it is made from Merino Wool...........it is NOT scratchy at all.:D

Hi Again, Lois, I don’t know if you like to shop when traveling (Irish sweaters were previously mentioned) but if you do, here’s an idea that I have used. I take my oldest undies and just throw them away after wearing. That frees up a little space for items acquired along the way. Actually, I now stash my old undies in a bag so I have a supply ready when I am packing for a trip. I too only travel with a roll aboard and a tote so have to get creative because I love to shop for gifts when I travel😉

Sharon

Hi Again, Lois, I don’t know if you like to shop when traveling (Irish sweaters were previously mentioned) but if you do, here’s an idea that I have used. I take my oldest undies and just throw them away after wearing. That frees up a little space for items acquired along the way. Actually, I now stash my old undies in a bag so I have a supply ready when I am packing for a trip. I too only travel with a roll aboard and a tote so have to get creative because I love to shop for gifts when I travel😉

Sharon

Hi Sharon, glad that works for you:)......but I am on the opposite side of that.........I travel with new stuff when it comes

to undergarments........that is just me.........and I am not a shopper when I travel so no space needed for any large items.

I may buy a pair of earrings but they don't take up any space:)

Sweaters............I actually have a sweater that is MADE IN IRELAND.........it is a purchase I made through QVC.........it is made from Merino Wool...........it is NOT scratchy at all.:D

Merino is a different story altogether. I love merino wool and I agree it's not scratchy.

In fact, it would be a great choice for your trip...!

But the pure "new wool" in those fisherman knit sweaters = itchy. (At least to me, and I normally tolerate wool very well.)

Hi there and happy new year to all of you!

On land trips here in Europe or the US i always bring a list of the closest tj-maxx with me in case i packed the wrong clothes again 😉 but it's called tk-maxx in Europe

Have a wonderful trip 😊

Hi Sharon, glad that works for you:)......but I am on the opposite side of that.........I travel with new stuff when it comes

to undergarments........that is just me.........and I am not a shopper when I travel so no space needed for any large items.

I may buy a pair of earrings but they don't take up any space:)

Hi Lois, you are like some good friends of ours who take at least two big trips a year. They buy one small item that will remind them of their trip and maybe a piece of jewelry. No other purchases and they don’t visit any markets in foreign countries unless a tour takes them to one. In that case they just look and take pictures of things but no purchases. That’s not me but I do make sure my purchases will fit in my existing luggage and I look for unique items to give as gifts. That is my excuse for shopping and I’m sticking to it,;)

Sharon

Think twice about the fisherman knit sweaters. True story: I bought one years ago on a tour in Ireland. I wanted the real thing -- the hand-knit version in the natural undyed and untreated wool.

That sweater was so scratchy that I couldn't bear to wear it except under a turtleneck that fully protected my skin from touching it. And it was so very warm that the number of days I could potentially wear it in Atlanta were QUITE limited (especially with the turtleneck underneath).

This! They are very heavy and so scratchy you can't wear them. Amazingly, some beautiful ones showed up at Marshalls here a few weeks ago, but I just couldn't do it, knowing I'd never wear them.

Hi Lois...sounds like a wonderful trip is planned.

I agree with you on newer undies...no old ugly stretched out undies going with me on a trip.

As for layering I like to wear a sweater with a coat style vest. It keeps my core warm and is much more comfortable and lightweight for packing and traveling.

With so many pretty sweaters that can go with jeans or with black pants that is exactly how I would dress up for the evenings. It's not under stated or over stated, but just right and comfortable. I just bought a lightweight quilted jacket that is reversible from Kohls and thought it would be a quick way of dressing up a pair of black pants and solid top, particularly if I was dining a cooler room. It's very lightweight and versatile since it's reversible. It would look cute with a black or blue or white turtleneck.

I would buy some cheap packing cubes for this trip. You will be amazed how quickly you can unpack and it will help you stay organized during the trip. Just look on Amazon for a cheap set and they will do fine.

By the way, I do the same thing you do and buy a pair of earrings or a pendant when I travel or if I find a local artist I might purchase a water color or ink and pen drawing that can be rolled up in a tube. I seldom purchase anything else when I travel since I'm not a knick knack type of gal.

Have a great trip and a wonderful Birthday. There just isn't anyway better to celebrate a birthday!!

Hi, we did a two week land tour to Czech Rep., Slovakia and Hungary a year ago. The days were busy and we didn't usually get back to the hotel until 5:00 or so each day. Usually just went out to eat in the jeans I had on as none of the restaurants were fancy. The tour guide generally took us out for more sightseeing in the evenings if you wanted to go. I think I used one nice top and a pair of pants on two nights the whole trip. I think you'll find the land tours are very casual compared to river cruises and ocean cruises. Folks are more concerned with seeing and learning about the countries you visit rather than dressing up.

Have a wonderful time.

I have an Irish wool sweater (hand made, cardigan) I bought in 1992, and a pair of doc Martens I bought on the same trip. Yep, still wear both :-)

If you don't buy goretex shoes, get a silicone waterproof spray from Amazon or Walmart. For very wet trips, I bring goretex - but for maybe a little damp trips, an annual treatment with the waterproof spray works fine for us.

I'm a big Vivienne Files fan. For much of my travel packing, I like her 4X4 wardrobe template. I guess if you're new to her blog it can be a little overwhelming, but I've found it easy to pick and choose what works for me....

In general, 3 bottoms, 6 tops, 2 sweaters, 2 scarves and a dress is my generic packing list....

I have an Irish wool sweater (hand made, cardigan) I bought in 1992, and a pair of doc Martens I bought on the same trip. Yep, still wear both :-)

If you don't buy goretex shoes, get a silicone waterproof spray from Amazon or Walmart. For very wet trips, I bring goretex - but for maybe a little damp trips, an annual treatment with the waterproof spray works fine for us.

I'm a big Vivienne Files fan. For much of my travel packing, I like her 4X4 wardrobe template. I guess if you're new to her blog it can be a little overwhelming, but I've found it easy to pick and choose what works for me....

In general, 3 bottoms, 6 tops, 2 sweaters, 2 scarves and a dress is my generic packing list....

Good to see you:).........not just overwhelming but very confusing (to me). I know what colors I like to wear so

I don't need someone to tell me that,,,..and the recommendations on here were very helpful. I don't plan on

buying new shoes so the suggestion of the waterproof spray for my walking shoes is very helpful. Thanks:)

I like to buy a Christmas ornament on all my trips so when I put up my tree I remember all the great trips .I have some shamrock bells from Ireland.Maybe pack either really warm Pj's or cuddle duds ( they sell them at target) for Pj's.

Hi Sally, I have a pair of Cuddle Duds:D........I wore them on flight to Europe back in August and they are so comfy!!!

That is a GREAT suggestion........I think I will be getting a 2nd pair. They take up no space!

And if I celebrated Christmas, the ornament purchase would be great;) but I don't so no need to buy any.

I can’t believe I forgot to mention CuddleDuds! I use them as a layering piece & as pjs. They’d be nice to have in places that may not have central heat. I’ve used them as pjs for years & they don’t take up a lot of room

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just want to keep all of you posted on this trip...........I received an email from the Tour Company and they are not

doing the MARCH tours:mad::(.........so Ireland is off.........

I wonder if this means I am just meant to cruise..........will have to find a new birthday trip.

Hi, I don't know but I am going on a cruise in July and so I don't want to go in May.......my birthday is in March so I will find something else.

Is traveling on your birthday that important? We almost never travel near our birthdays (we're both born in April and March/Apr are my husband's busiest months at work). We tend to travel more often near our anniversary (October) but on the other hand - we travel when it works best and just celebrate early or late as needed. The actual date is really never important ;-)

Sorry that this Ireland trip won't work out, though!

Just want to keep all of you posted on this trip...........I received an email from the Tour Company and they are not

I wonder if this means I am just meant to cruise..........will have to find a new birthday trip.

Oh, that's too bad!

If you want to go in March and are interested in a European destination, some places I might recommend for a tour would include Italy, Spain, Portugal, or Greece. All things being equal, the weather is generally better (especially from mid-March) in these countries than more northerly destinations.

Oh Lois, I’m so sorry to read this. I know you have been planning on a birthday trip for a long time and have looked at many options. To finally choose one and find out it isn’t available is a real disappointment. I do know that many land tour companies will say in their tour description “guaranteed departure” for some but not all their tours. So this must give them the option of cancelling some tours if they choose to. Another difference between a land tour and a cruise, I guess.

Please come back and let us know when you find another option.

Sharon

What a disappointment!?! I'm so sorry that his happened. I could tell you were really looking forward to this trip.

I have a feeling that you are going to find a trip that will be even better. Let us know if we can help in any way.

And as for traveling on your birthday, particularly the big 60, absolutely the BEST way to celebrate! I made sure I was on a trip when I turned 60 a couple of years ago. I did not want to end up at some cheesy over the hill party....no way!

And as for traveling on your birthday, particularly the big 60, absolutely the BEST way to celebrate! I made sure I was on a trip when I turned 60 a couple of years ago. I did not want to end up at some cheesy over the hill party....no way!

I guess I see the thing with many more shades of grey. I have a nice meal of whatever I want on my birthday, travel when & where I want to celebrate. No parties. No worries :hearteyes: Date just doesn't ever play into it. Hasn't since I turned 21 and the date actually was important:')

Hi girls, to answer the question " Is it THAT important"? Well, it is not life or death of course.......but I wanted to

go away around my birthday.....so, it was kind of important yes....is it the end of the world? No.

And I have the week off on the work calendar.........can I change it? Yes, but we have other people in my office........

there are weeks I cannot go.......

And I found out today I have a freaking kidney stone that needs to be removed:(.......surgically.......that will probably

be next month. It is not outpatient either......have to be in the hospital for about 2 days:mad:

Oh, there is a chance I "might be" going to Vegas with a long time friend for my birthday instead of going overseas.......

Lois...you are just full of not so great news! Bless your heart! Well get that all out of the way and Vegas would be a lot of fun! It's been a few years since I've been and I've been thinking about Vegas myself. DH got a nice invitation for the Super Bowl weekend and it would be great to get out of this freaky cold weather. Here we are in Louisville, KY and haven't seen temps above freezing since Christmas. It's getting old very quickly. We get cold weather but it doesn't usually hang around for very long. I really feel sorry for the folks that are North and East of us!!