Small Power Strips

j6923ss

You know, the long orange type of extension cord with the multiple sockets that is not powered. RCCL does not allow any extension cord/bar/multi-socket that's powered.

Still not sure where you're getting that. What is a "powered" extension cord see my bolding of your post above? Could you give an example of an "not powered" extension cord and a "powered" extension cord? How about a "multi-socket" that is "powered"? What is "powering" this?

Also, again, see the the RCI FAQ that you linked in your post #10, and that I quoted in my post. The list says "Extension cords", period, not "powered" Extension Cords.

Per the policy, all extension cords are banned. Yet, if you need something for your CPAP machine, and ask the ship, what do you think they supply? An extension cord. Are RCI's extension cords magically different than others? And if you had a power strip removed at embarkation, and you made a fuss about needing it, who do you think they would call to approve or disapprove your using it? Some corporate legal type who wrote the prohibited items list? The Captain? Nope. It would be me, or one of my colleagues, senior engineers onboard who would say that "the item is in good condition (still in packaging) and not surge protected. Have a nice cruise."

If it was my ship I would prefer to give you an extension cord that I know is safe for the ship instead of having some random crew member try to determine if your unlabeled/unpackaged device is safe for use.

That still doesn't change the fact that you are not allowed to bring your own power bar. If you need to have a socket near the bed, bring a non-powered extension cord. That would work and it's not banned.

You know, the long orange type of extension cord with the multiple sockets that is not powered. RCCL does not allow any extension cord/bar/multi-socket that's powered.

The prohibited items list says "extension cords".... period. Orange extension cords (or any other color) with multiple outlets are still extension cords. I'm not sure what you think a "powered" versus "non-powered" extension cord is. So, if someone needs an outlet near the bed for things like a CPAP machine, they have two choices:

1.) Request one from the special needs department and pray they will have one when they board

or

2.) Bring their own

Since we know that surge protectors can pose a fire hazard on board, the logical thing for people to do would be to bring a cord without one. If you bring a brand new one still in the package, odds are RCCL will allow it. Worst case scenario, they confiscate it and you're out a few bucks.

If it was my ship I would prefer to give you an extension cord that I know is safe for the ship instead of having some random crew member try to determine if your unlabeled/unpackaged device is safe for use.

Who are the people who determine if an extension cord is safe for the ship or not? That would be the senior engineers onboard, not some "random crew member". What I am saying is that if security confiscated your power strip, and you complained about it, that security officer, nor any "random crew member" would make a determination about it, a senior engineer would be called, and he/she would make the determination. Been done quite a lot in the last few years, since the warnings about surge protectors went out. And you know what? That senior engineer's professional license makes him/her legally responsible for all consequences of that decision to allow a power strip onboard, both criminally and fiscally. That's why we have those licenses, and why the company entrusts their billion dollar ships and the lives of the crew and passengers to us.

Like I said, We will bring ours because 6 days before we will cruise in another cruise line that don't provide extension cords. We understand that RC can throw ours away but we will not thow it away between the 2 cruises. While in Allure we will use the ones provided by the ship. Probably will be similar to ours, but safety first.

Like I said, We will bring ours because 6 days before we will cruise in another cruise line that don't provide extension cords. We understand that RC can throw ours away but we will not thow it away between the 2 cruises. While in Allure we will use the ones provided by the ship. Probably will be similar to ours, but safety first.

They won't throw it away, it will be on the "reclaim" table at disembarkation with your cabin number noted.

The prohibited items list says "extension cords".... period. Orange extension cords (or any other color) with multiple outlets are still extension cords. I'm not sure what you think a "powered" versus "non-powered" extension cord is.

The FAQ says Electrical Extension Cords

This is a non-powered extension cord. https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Power-Extension-Cord-5-15R/dp/B002VY53QE

This is a non-powered extension cord. https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Power-Extension-Cord-5-15R/dp/B002VY53QE

Okay, so show me the difference between this, and an "electrical extension cord", and by the way, the Amazon page says "power extension cord", so is this "powered" or "non powered". And if I search Amazon for "electrical extension cord" the same product comes up.

So, despite the fact that the prohibited items list just says "extension cords," you think this is okay, but the rest of us are horrible people for possibly bringing some other kind?

So, despite the fact that the prohibited items list just says "extension cords," you think this is okay, but the rest of us are horrible people for possibly bringing some other kind?

No it does not say just extension cords. It says ELECTRICAL extension cords. The extension cord I linked is not electrical.

No it does not say just extension cords. It says ELECTRICAL extension cords. The extension cord I linked is not electrical.

What???? It's not electrical? What is it used for then? Carrying water? Of course it is electrical. It takes electricity from the outlet to your device, by definition that is "electrical". And as I said, if you enter "electrical extension cord" into Amazon, the site you found your "non electrical extension cord" on, the exact same product comes up as a solution. As much as I am amused by debating this, and seeing you dig yourself deeper with each reply, you obviously don't know much about electricity or electrical hardware or electrical engineering, so I would just give it up.

Definitions of extension cord:

Wiktionary: "An electrical cord with a plug one end, and a single socket or a multi-port socket at the other end, used for powering one or more devices at a distance, too far from the wall outlet to be reached by the normal cords of the device or devices."

Dictionary.com: "anelectriccordhavingastandardplugatoneendandastandardelectricjackattheother."

Free Dictionary: "Aninsulated,flexibleelectricwirefittedwithaplugatoneendandoneormoreoutletsontheother,allowingonetoplugindeviceswhosecordsarenotlongenoughtoreachawalloutlet."

Merriam Webster: "an electric cord fitted with a plug at one end and a receptacle at the other"

You'll note a common trend of the use of "electrical" ( an adjective meaning "related to electricity") or "electric" in each of these definitions.

I'm really not sure what magic you think is going on inside a power strip that is different than an extension cord, but I can assure you there isn't any.

Just to close this out, here is the definition of "power strip" by Merriam Webster:

"an electrical device consisting of a cord with a plug on one end and several outlets on the other"

Sound familiar?

• 1 month later...
Does royal consider a multiple USB charger the same as an extension cord?

They should not, but sometimes it happens that they might think it has a surge supressor and confiscate it.

We brought this one on our previous cruises and never been taken or questioned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That item, while it does make it past security quite often, because it does not resemble a common surge protected power strip, is surge protected and should not be used on ships. As I've said many times in the past, even if your surge protected device is working perfectly, and is in perfect condition, a ground fault somewhere else on the ship can cause this perfectly functioning surge protector to catch fire. So, even if you do everything right, other than using a surge protector on a ship, you may cause a fire.

We have one of those Belkin cords with the 3 plug ins and 2 chargers. I know other people here on CC have used them. We have used ours on at least 3 cruises with no problems. Are these okay to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was recently on HOTS and I had a power strip, no surge protection, and a 6 foot extension cord with extra plugs on it in our checked bag. They were both confiscated. We picked them up right outside the ship on a table when the cruise ended.

We have one of those Belkin cords with the 3 plug ins and 2 chargers. I know other people here on CC have used them. We have used ours on at least 3 cruises with no problems. Are these okay to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Generally, those products that combine power outlets with USB ports tend to be surge protected. I know that Belkin makes power strips, with just power outlets, that are not surge protected, but I don't know of any combination units. If you are referring to the Belkin "mini" or "Surge Plus swivel USB" that does not have a cord, then no, it is not okay to use. Anything that has a little green light that says "protected" or has terms like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltage" either on the packaging, the documentation, or on the unit in fine print, is surge protected, and can be dangerous to use on a ship. Yes, many have used these, and many will continue to use them, but as I say, using a surge protector on a ship is a "silent killer" like a heart attack, because an event completely out of your control, even while in the cabin monitoring the surge protector, can cause it to fail and catch fire.

Here is a post from a CC member that has an EE background, who didn't believe my assertions that using surge protectors on ships was dangerous. After taking my advice, and contacting professors of Marine Engineering, he came away convinced that I have been correct in my goal to stop folks from using surge protectors:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10

That one does appear to be non-surge protected, but you must be careful and check directly with the manufacturer's site to be sure, as the campaign for power strips without surge protection has apparently taken hold and denoting that it is "safe for cruise ship" is the sexy new ad copy. Last week, someone posted about a similar product, where Amazon touted it as "cruise safe", yet when I went to the manufacturer's site, it was definitely noted as surge protected.

I was recently on HOTS and I had a power strip, no surge protection, and a 6 foot extension cord with extra plugs on it in our checked bag. They were both confiscated. We picked them up right outside the ship on a table when the cruise ended.

RCI has taken the easy way out, in not trying to have security personnel determine if a device is surge protected or not, so they are banning everything with a cord, and I've heard the Belkin minis are being found these days.

Chief, I would greatly appreciate advice from you for our upcoming (in 2 weeks) cruise. My husband uses (Dr. ordered) a heat mask for an eye condition. At home he plugs it into his computer usb port. For the upcoming cruise I was going to use the port on our Kindle charger, but the cord on the mask won't be long enough to reach the bed or sofa where he would be using the mask. I had intended to bring just a regular extension cord to plug into the ship outlet with the Kindle charger on the other end, but is there something else that you would recommend for this? I hope this makes sense. Thank you in advance.

Chief, I would greatly appreciate advice from you for our upcoming (in 2 weeks) cruise. My husband uses (Dr. ordered) a heat mask for an eye condition. At home he plugs it into his computer usb port. For the upcoming cruise I was going to use the port on our Kindle charger, but the cord on the mask won't be long enough to reach the bed or sofa where he would be using the mask. I had intended to bring just a regular extension cord to plug into the ship outlet with the Kindle charger on the other end, but is there something else that you would recommend for this? I hope this makes sense. Thank you in advance.

Given RCI's unequal enforcement of the extension cord/power strip ban, I would call Special Needs, and request a ship's extension cord for medical use. Another option is a USB extension cable, which has a male USB on one end, and a female USB on the other. This would plug between the mask cord and the Kindle charger. Walmart has 10 foot ones for $4:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Link-Depot-10-USB-Extension-Cable/15779601

or a 16 foot one for $7.