LIVE - Mariner - Miami to Lima 1/5/2018 to 1/23/2018

irishwitchy

Right now I an praying the internet lasts. Went down at 3 pm. During dinner read posts and Facebook. Went to answer and no more internet.

First I am sorry about the typos. Last night I had lobster, pate and a veggie dish. Pate became page.

CR was I think limon. I have to check spelling. I was staying in ship.

Yet Cystral had bad weather on the west coast of Central America . Meanwhile,Az posted sunshine and beaches.

The Captain was Stig, he was traveling with his GF who was as young as his daughter. She was nice but on AZ it was just strange. Meanwhile he went back to RCL. They replaced him finally with Jose.hard to find the AZ fit.

Tomorrow we are going thru the canal. My 6th time I guess. So many guests and crew never have been thru,

Tonight was Beatles night. Dance to every song for one hour. Then popped into another bar to dance to . But they just turned the music to low. Can dance to low music,

Right now I an praying the internet lasts. Went down at 3 pm. During dinner read posts and Facebook. Went to answer and no more internet.

First I am sorry about the typos. Last night I had lobster, pate and a veggie dish. Pate became page.

Yet Cystral had bad weather on the west coast of Central America . Meanwhile,Az posted sunshine and beaches.

The Captain was Stig, he was traveling with his GF who was as young as his daughter. She was nice but on AZ it was just strange. Meanwhile he went back to RCL. They replaced him finally with Jose.hard to find the AZ fit.

Tomorrow we are going thru the canal. My 6th time I guess. So many guests and crew never have been thru,

Tonight was Beatles night. Dance to every song for one hour. Then popped into another bar to dance to . But they just turned the music to low. Can dance to low music,

I checked earlier tonight and this post did not show up. But an hour or more later it did. I hoped I answered most questions .

I just read that there is no tender service tomorrow night between midnight and seven am. Means crew can not get off after work. One reason to hate tender ports.

Tonight was fun due to dancing.

As always saw the OP pre dinner.

I have tried twice to answer but internet sucks

Been more off than in since 3 pm

Not answering it agaun

Robin

Here's some suggestions to help with posting and proof reading your posts to improve their clarity:

Prepare them offline in a notepad or even a draft email message - then you can check it and save it for use later on

When you want to post it to Cruise Critic and you are able to get online then just cut and paste it into the forums

Depending on the platform you are using you can use Apps like the Cruise Critic app or Tapatalk app to access the forums and post to them - you still need to be online but it's often easier than using a web browser interface to do so

Hope that helps

Ok, a great blogger I’m not! I have been compiling my comments and port thoughts offline and will post the mess at the end. We are currently starting the Panama Canal and let’s say it is a very grey, rainy morning so far. Let’s hope this gets better.

Overall, we are just fine with food and service. Mind you breakfast one morning in the compass rose was a fiasco, the server looked like she was about to crack waiting on two other tables, that were having issues. We decided not to add to that and went with the flow. I never did see the English muffin or sugar, but I figure that is God’s way to tell me I don’t them!

Zqueese and Travelcat - Olga says hi. We have been in the bar she was in before, but not at the bar until last night.

One other comment, the music from the last four decades is still MIA except for a Adele song during the 007 show last night.

Got to go, local Panama Canal guy is speaking.

I slept thru the six pm show. But I dance an hour straight for the Beatles hour plus more in Stars.

Got up at the reasonable hour of 0800. Been on two decks taking pictures. Taking from deck 7 is the best as you feel and see water raise. To bad no chairs to dump things on.

Might be able to use a bathing suit today to jump in pool to cool off.

Ok, a great blogger I’m not! I have been compiling my comments and port thoughts offline and will post the mess at the end. We are currently starting the Panama Canal and let’s say it is a very grey, rainy morning so far. Let’s hope this gets better.

Overall, we are just fine with food and service. Mind you breakfast one morning in the compass rose was a fiasco, the server looked like she was about to crack waiting on two other tables, that were having issues. We decided not to add to that and went with the flow. I never did see the English muffin or sugar, but I figure that is God’s way to tell me I don’t them!

Zqueese and Travelcat - Olga says hi. We have been in the bar she was in before, but not at the bar until last night.

One other comment, the music from the last four decades is still MIA except for a Adele song during the 007 show last night.

Got to go, local Panama Canal guy is speaking.

We do miss your posts but understand that you are on vacation and have better things to do! Thanks for the message from Olga - she is a delightful person as well as a great bartender!

Hope that you enjoy(ed) the Panama Canal!

Oh, pate, got it now. It would be even better if it knew how to get the accent in there.

I did not ever know about his girlfriend, and in fact, we liked that captain very much. Were you there when he brought in a huge chunk of ice? He grew up further north than what the latitude was (south) when we were around Antarctica, but the weather is incredibly different. I didn't realize he was from Royal Caribbean and now back there.

I like Terry's idea of preparing your post and then cut/paste for putting it into a comment. Thx for letting us know you see Irishwitchy around the ship! and to Irishwitchy, thx for the update. Hope you are enjoying the Panama Canal right now!

Murial

I missed the ice. But I was in his cabin for drinks thanks to the GF. She was a runner..she run daily on the track and up and down the stairs for an hour. She was very nice but several guests asked me about her as they saw them together at dinners and in town. He was very nice one in one but was not into the AZ social,scene. Neither was Jason. Ut he was also very nice.

At least daily I see Ron and Cathy somewhere on ship. We are doing dinner at a shared table in two nights.

Today was brilliant as always.think my 6th time . I got up,about 8 am. We were in the Gatan Locks then. I stayed on my balcony until about 130. Watch the second set of locks from pool and track deck. For the 3D set I sat on deck,7 deck. On the deck so I could enjoy it more.

I was on my balcony for the Bridge of Americas. Then off to the hot tub and a pre bath drink.

We are anchor. Been here before. Debating on eating off ship or on.

Tomorrow is low key for me. Been enough and will enjoy the pool and balcony.

I finally put my finger on why the magic number I'd seven days or one week with a new butler or room attendants.

On AZ and C they were in my room in minutes after I arrived. Also on both that brand ship the butler tells the room attendant or sends her in. I did meet them but when I mention some small thing to the. Butler he asked if I told her. Truth I had not.

Also on Az the butler gave me my breakfast menu cards. The other two lines do not. So I am not always sure who to ask for what.

Still have not seen a room service menu.asked enough. When I decide to have it I will just have them read to me on phone.

Still surprised I can not get food from a speciality nor can I get cold drinks at gangway coming on. Spoke to some people about that today. they all think,Seaborn is better but picked this cruise for ports.

I have not done Seaborn but will keep looking at it.

Also on Az the butler gave me my breakfast menu cards. The other two lines do not. So I am not always sure who to ask for what.

If you mean the menu you fill in and leave at your door for delivery of breakfast the next morning, a card should be in your suite each evening along with the other paperwork that is usually delivered. If not, a word to the butler should fix the situation.

Oh Lord! I needed that drawer for my hair supplies ..the. Binder is on top of. Lose the that tsjes a chair to get to. It is under a warm blanket for deck chair. Next to shoes and jacket etc for winter coming up.

If I was told in binder I would if climb for it days ago. I needed every inch of each drawer.

My dressing table full of fake jewelry .

Oh Lord! I needed that drawer for my hair supplies ..the. Binder is on top of. Lose the that tsjes a chair to get to. It is under a warm blanket for deck chair. Next to shoes and jacket etc for winter coming up.

If I was told in binder I would if climb for it days ago. I needed every inch of each drawer.

My dressing table full of fake jewelry .

Absolutely the best post of the whole thread! You have a singular style of posting. It is very engaging.

I always read your posts on AZ and now I see you are trying out other cruise lines.

How many days do you spend on a cruise ship in a year , if I might ask?

Just tell the butler you wish a card every night or whenever and that will make one less problem for you.

Eating very yummy snails right now. Could of had a double order. The best! But somehow listed under meats not fish. It us a shellfish. I rarely eat any meat so I am surprise I saw it,

Trust you are having the escargot, which is actually meat (best explained by the following quote from a thread on same):

"For escargots, land snails are used. Most common are the species Helix pomatia, Helix aspersa and Helix lucorum" and are not shellfish.

Absolutely the best post of the whole thread! You have a singular style of posting. It is very engaging.

I always read your posts on AZ and now I see you are trying out other cruise lines.

How many days do you spend on a cruise ship in a year , if I might ask?

I am so sorry I. Do not know you. This winter on three lines from the 20th if Nov to the 25th nof Feb, then I fly back to Lima to travel there. Which is funny as it is cold and I hate winter.

I normally cryise or in Fl,from early Dec to mid March. I also cruise a month in summer but not in2019.

I did not know you were an AZ fan. I tried Cystral due to Pravin. My ex butler on AZ. I love C but not prefect either. No bottle water at gangway but cold towels coming on.

As a newbie I believe people should hear the truth . Not everyone loves every line. People love or hate Viking or Oceania. I have done Oceania but not Viking.

It seems some loyal Regent people forgot I am here for the ports and ports only. Knew the night. Life was dull but the cold towels and lack of cold water is not five star.

I really do not care if people like me ir not..my goal is to be honest to myself .

Panama Canal is done with on to the next port. Originally we were doing a visit to the Mira Flores locks and than a boat ride to monkey iskand, which was a free excursion. My husband decided we should change it to the railway by two oceans after he watched the reviews of everything on the TV. So for A Regent choice excursion, we paid $159 dollars each to sit on trail that ran 2 1/5 hours instead of 1.5 saw nothing to speak of, got a snack box with pringles and cookies and one very nasty turkey sandwich back on the bus. We did stop at the new locks after that to see them and watch a movie. The movie was the best part of the adventure. Another tour group arrived and had a great lunch at the overlook that was there. I was wishing I was with them. Back on the bus for 2 hours back to Panama City. This is what I get for not doing my research like I normally do. So I guess I can say in 24 hours, I have gone to the Atlantic and the pacific oceans three ways - boat, train and bus. I think I would have liked the free monkeys instead.

Cathy

I am so sorry your day was not great. I never did the train and been told by many guests it was long and tiring day. No real lunch!!

No wonder I did private tours each time I left the ship here.

I just switch a Lima tour for a paid one. My last paid one was great. Meanwhile, another boat did not have the great time we had.

Trust you are having the escargot, which is actually meat (best explained by the following quote from a thread on same):

"For escargots, land snails are used. Most common are the species Helix pomatia, Helix aspersa and Helix lucorum" and are not shellfish.

Never hear. of them and been eating them since HS. But they were great. Soaking in butter and very hot. Never seen land snails but have seen snails in shell on beach,

Then please tell me what a starter of egg with truffle fall under. Not joking here. I found it under meat not salad last night.not sure what eggs are but thought they came from chickens.

Never hear. of them and been eating them since HS. But they were great. Soaking in butter and very hot. Never seen land snails but have seen snails in shell on beach,

Then please tell me what a starter of egg with truffle fall under. Not joking here. I found it under meat not salad last night.not sure what eggs are but thought they came from chickens.

Well, it's a bit of a stretch, but this is what the New York Times said in an article of several years ago:

"Indeed, some aficionados compare them to tofu, in that truffles can serve as a meat substitute that both echoes and enhances the flavor of whatever they are cooked with."

I don't think anybody thought the escargot weren't safe. Just that Robin almost didn't know they were on the menu.

I would've expected to find them under appetizers; but I always read the entire menu as I would never want to miss ANYTHING.

This is a great reminder not to put the binder from the drawer in an unreachable place, before opening it first to see if it had anything useful in it.

Tofu equated to truffles is downright bizarre, imho. I thought truffles had a very earthy and salty taste. Now, however, I see they "don't have much taste" and that it's the "gas" that gives them their taste. Well, that was certainly more than I wanted to know! Forever in my mind they will now be linked to tofu (presuming I don't ever get too senile to remember). Thx for this, Silver Sweethearts.

Bummer about the tour, IrishWitchy. Truly a shame, but I do like your positive spin, having gone ocean to ocean three different ways. Plus you know more than the average person, about the new canal!

Loved hearing about all your canal viewing, Robin. It took a few minutes before I could figure out where you were! but then the "locks" were a dead giveaway.

I think Peru will be warm except when you're at the high altitudes. My quick glance tells me Feb. is the warmest month and Sept. the coolest.

Murial

I love you

I did look in the binder

Grabbed breakfast cards

But never looked at rest

On AZ and C i found a place i could reach but not in a drawer i needed

I eat tofu a lot and it has no taste but the sauce you cook with

Truffles have flavor

But that still does not answer the meat question as it was under meat

To me. Both dishes are a starter not meat

I rarely read under meat anywhere

Had dinner with Cathy and Ron

Great meal but one of them suggested. Going to deck 12 forward for a drink

I had to leave them there as it rocked so much

My stomach still hurts

Took lift to deck 5 and show was about to break

I scream get out of way as i thought i would be sick and was trying to get mid ship fast

What a way to ruin dinner

I always say canal and locks

Six times i think

Finally posted pictures

Great day