LIVE - Mariner - Miami to Lima 1/5/2018 to 1/23/2018

irishwitchy

I’m assuming the new GM boarded only because I saw the other leaving with her bags and a very big smile on her face! I be posting later today, been rather busy, I’m only in a conceige suite, but all dirty items have been removed in a timely manner. Tri tones have been playing most nights. One comment that I would agree with Robin on is the bars are rather dead and the music is repeats a lot. More on that later.

Different group.

They take a break around 11 or so rhen came back and played two songs.

No live music after1130. Who takes a break at 11 and quits twenty minutes later to 1130'or 1145

Piano player can not sing. Onky bar thst makes my drinks so far.

HD left. Good luck flying home from Central America

Food in Prime 7 is good.

Service to fast in MDR,

With a salad I took about an hour last night

Tour was ok

Thanks for verifying Tri Tones is playing. No worries Robin when Ida boards she dances like the ever ready bunny, Elizabeth of Tri Tones even gets on the dance floor to join her. She does not care if the dance floor is full or empty she will enjoy dancing.

Yes, we both observed the ship goes to sleep early—Ida does not but I often do.

Robin, suggest (like Travelcat often recommends) speaking to the Food & Beverage Mgr, Donald and let him know for you MDR service is rushed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Different group.

They take a break around 11 or so rhen came back and played two songs.

No live music after1130. Who takes a break at 11 and quits twenty minutes later to 1130'or 1145

Piano player can not sing. Onky bar thst makes my drinks so far.

HD left. Good luck flying home from Central America

Food in Prime 7 is good.

Service to fast in MDR,

With a salad I took about an hour last night

Tour was ok

I am enjoying your post but are not understanding some comments. In terms of Compass Rose, did you only order a salad? No appetizer, drinks or ??? If that I the case, how can they prolong your meal? We have an appetizer, soup or salad, a main course plus a shared dessert and port wine and tea. This generally takes two hours.

Also, I'm trying to understand the issue with a great piano player that cannot sing. Why is this a problem? When I hear music, I mentally sing the song and could care less if the pianist is singing. Thankfully, the Observation Lounge is not overly loud as can be the case in the other lounges (where the entertainers are singing). When we are in a lounge, we like to chat and have music in the background.

Last, IMO, you might enjoy Regent more if you were not constantly comparing it to other cruise lines. When we first boarded Silversea we did the same thing but then realized that we needed to judge Silversea without looking at anything else. The bottom line was that we love Silversea and ultimately went on two more cruises. However, we did end up back with Regent but have never even thought that we would not sail on Silversea again. Just food for thought:D

Thanks for verifying Tri Tones is playing. No worries Robin when Ida boards she dances like the ever ready bunny, Elizabeth of Tri Tones even gets on the dance floor to join her. She does not care if the dance floor is full or empty she will enjoy dancing.

Yes, we both observed the ship goes to sleep early—Ida does not but I often do.

Robin, suggest (like Travelcat often recommends) speaking to the Food & Beverage Mgr, Donald and let him know for you MDR service is rushed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, my cabin is 920 so call me please. Not sure about being up in a sea day for the Meet and Greet. Tend to sleep in.

I was the only one dancing last night. So the last song was for me.

I see Donald all the time. Alin and Donald made sure I had. My huge spinach salad. Which tomorrow or the next night will eat again,

I am enjoying your post but are not understanding some comments. In terms of Compass Rose, did you only order a salad? No appetizer, drinks or ??? If that I the case, how can they prolong your meal? We have an appetizer, soup or salad, a main course plus a shared dessert and port wine and tea. This generally takes two hours.

Also, I'm trying to understand the issue with a great piano player that cannot sing. Why is this a problem? When I hear music, I mentally sing the song and could care less if the pianist is singing. Thankfully, the Observation Lounge is not overly loud as can be the case in the other lounges (where the entertainers are singing). When we are in a lounge, we like to chat and have music in the background.

Last, IMO, you might enjoy Regent more if you were not constantly comparing it to other cruise lines. When we first boarded Silversea we did the same thing but then realized that we needed to judge Silversea without looking at anything else. The bottom line was that we love Silversea and ultimately went on two more cruises. However, we did end up back with Regent but have never even thought that we would not sail on Silversea again. Just food for thought:D

After 44 cruises with AZ I tried Cystral. It took me about a day or two to love everything but set dinner times. So I ate in room or the sushi restaurant. Really missing that now. My favorite thing on them was live music to 1230. My least favorite was no bottle water at gangway.

Then I come back to,Rwgwnt knowing there is no real night life. I dance if I hear music. Piano player to me is nit background at 10 or later he should be singer his songs. I sung along some the other night.a real piano bar has singing.

Food.. the other night was a very large spinach salad. Some nights I had three courses and I was done in an hour. Not fun at all. I have to eat it when it arrives or it is cold. The longest dinner was rhe first night and I sent food back as I did not like it,

I had vodka at dinner once or twice. I tend to drink before or after. I can not even get cold bottle water. So if going right to dinner like tonight I bring my own.

It is very normal to compare ships and hotels. I am trying to,post as a newbie as it is seven years since I have been on this line . They still have no night life. Indonnit want a mega ship but I ent a ship with life after ten.

Robin

After 44 cruises with AZ I tried Cystral. It took me about a day or two to love everything but set dinner times. So I ate in room or the sushi restaurant. Really missing that now. My favorite thing on them was live music to 1230. My least favorite was no bottle water at gangway.

Then I come back to,Rwgwnt knowing there is no real night life. I dance if I hear music. Piano player to me is nit background at 10 or later he should be singer his songs. I sung along some the other night.a real piano bar has singing.

Food.. the other night was a very large spinach salad. Some nights I had three courses and I was done in an hour. Not fun at all. I have to eat it when it arrives or it is cold. The longest dinner was rhe first night and I sent food back as I did not like it,

I had vodka at dinner once or twice. I tend to drink before or after. I can not even get cold bottle water. So if going right to dinner like tonight I bring my own.

It is very normal to compare ships and hotels. I am trying to,post as a newbie as it is seven years since I have been on this line . They still have no night life. Indonnit want a mega ship but I ent a ship with life after ten.

Robin

Am surprised you’re having issues with Regent’s food. My experience is that it’s spectacular. And I seem to recall the nightlife being relaxed and low key on both Crystal and Regent. I hope you’re finding other aspects of the cruise to enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Am surprised you’re having issues with Regent’s food. My experience is that it’s spectacular. And I seem to recall the nightlife being relaxed and low key on both Crystal and Regent. I hope you’re finding other aspects of the cruise to enjoy!

Sent back another meal tonight

Could not cut the veal

Cathy was watching me try

Soup and pasta was good

Cystral low key with live music to 1230

And three places with music at once

This is dead they are alive

Robin and I found each other tonight. Agreed the veal in Sette marti was a bit underwhelming that Robin ordered. My husband and I both had the ciopino and that was very good and all the seafood was perfectly cooked. Some of the biscotti were excellent, but overall the deserts are ok. However I did have a blueberry tart spa menu item from the compass rose the other night and for 155 calories I eat that again as well as the champagne sorbet in Singatures. I wish I could eat the sorbet pool side a 3:00 in the afternoon.

I agree with Robin that it's normal to compare. Mr. B. and I took our first Crystal in June of '15 after about 25 other cruises, including about 10 on Celebrity, which was our favorite. Oceania and Azamara had disappointed us so they were one and done so far. Now, we've been on five Crystal and about five Celebrity intertwined. Every time we are on one or the other, we find ourselves commenting to each other the differences. We amuse each other by coming up with the same things! OR, by disagreeing.

Perhaps the most important component to enjoying a cruise is having accurate expectations. Right now, we have two Celebrity and two Crystal booked in the next two years, plus one Azamara. We'll probably throw in a Royal Caribbean for good measure, and who knows what else? We, like Robin, are blessed to be able to cruise often.

One hour for three courses is clearly too speedy, I agree; but other guests might prefer that. Which is why communication is the key. Luckily, many more nights are awaiting your more leisurely dining. I hope it works out!

Glad the two of you have met. Irishwitchy can go to the Meet & Mingle and report back? to Robin AND to all of us!

This is actually making me more willing to try Regent, should the right itinerary show itself some time in the future, and presuming I am still able to cruise. I'm glad you're there, Robin! and enjoying meeting the Regent regulars.

--May B Muriel

Could not cut the veal

Agreed the veal in Sette marti was a bit underwhelming that Robin ordered.

ellbon and irishwitchy, enjoying your posts very much. Looking forward to more.

When we were on the Mariner in November/December, we thought the veal in Compass Rose was much better than the evening we dined in Sette Mari.

I'm sure Nicky had a big grin on her face when she left the Mariner - she had just been on the Explorer, transferred to the M for a month, will be at home and then on the Navigator - a busy woman!

Her replacement - Michael is an outstanding GM and very approachable.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

I'm sure Nicky had a big grin on her face when she left the Mariner - she had just been on the Explorer, transferred to the M for a month, will be at home and then on the Navigator - a busy woman!

Her replacement - Michael is an outstanding GM and very approachable.

Peggy

Wonder if he can find water and cold wash cloths at the gangway

All other ships have one or not both there

And thisvis five star

Hmmm

Could not cut the veal

Cathy was watching me try

Soup and pasta was good

Cystral low key with live music to 1230

And three places with music at once

This is dead they are alive

I guess it’s clear that there are some elements of Crystal you prefer more. Strangely enough, the only meal I have ever sent back on a cruise in the last several years was in the main dining room on the Serenity. It was the coq au vin, and not only was the presentation unappetizing, it was also inedible.

But I refused to allow a bad meal (as well as a few mediocre ones), the small, dated cabin, and some far from memorable entertainment ruin the trip. We had a blast anyway. You’re on the Mariner for about another ten days. It’s a cruise! Enjoy it!

I guess it’s clear that there are some elements of Crystal you prefer more. Strangely enough, the only meal I have ever sent back on a cruise in the last several years was in the main dining room on the Serenity. It was the coq au vin, and not only was the presentation unappetizing, it was also inedible.

But I refused to allow a bad meal (as well as a few mediocre ones), the small, dated cabin, and some far from memorable entertainment ruin the trip. We had a blast anyway. You’re on the Mariner for about another ten days. It’s a cruise! Enjoy it!

First off i am on another 45 days

Second the awful coq au vin still on the menu there

Heard lots of complaints on it

Yes i prefer Az or C over this

But C standard cabin is over 260 sq feet is that small

But agree on the show room and shows

Small bars were better

I agree with Robin that it's normal to compare. Mr. B. and I took our first Crystal in June of '15 after about 25 other cruises, including about 10 on Celebrity, which was our favorite. Oceania and Azamara had disappointed us so they were one and done so far. Now, we've been on five Crystal and about five Celebrity intertwined. Every time we are on one or the other, we find ourselves commenting to each other the differences. We amuse each other by coming up with the same things! OR, by disagreeing.

Perhaps the most important component to enjoying a cruise is having accurate expectations. Right now, we have two Celebrity and two Crystal booked in the next two years, plus one Azamara. We'll probably throw in a Royal Caribbean for good measure, and who knows what else? We, like Robin, are blessed to be able to cruise often.

One hour for three courses is clearly too speedy, I agree; but other guests might prefer that. Which is why communication is the key. Luckily, many more nights are awaiting your more leisurely dining. I hope it works out!

Glad the two of you have met. Irishwitchy can go to the Meet & Mingle and report back? to Robin AND to all of us!

This is actually making me more willing to try Regent, should the right itinerary show itself some time in the future, and presuming I am still able to cruise. I'm glad you're there, Robin! and enjoying meeting the Regent regulars.

--May B Muriel

Muriel

I am meeting nice people on my tours

Not yet in bars

I am sitting in one now while show is on

Early tour fast drink then book

Never realize you have done AZ

There have been many changes of late and none for better

But the worse was the rehab that

Took away storage in cabins and the poor choice of furniture on deck 5

After 44 cruises i know it needs help in places

Just spoke to asst F and B about lack of drinks and cold towels at pier

His story was we might not be allowed

I said every line has one if not both

Mention everyone we have been docked next to this cruise

Told him i poured water on a beach towel today to cool off

Guess thst will be me in each port

Muriel thank you for explaining about comparing ships food etc

I do that with posh hotels so i know where to go back too

Example the grand in Stockholm

So far my favorite meal has been in Prime 7

I will not suggest this cruise line for you

Itvis oceania with free drinks

I think that if things were so bad and I had 45 more days to go I would jump ship and find another cruise line or an airline to get me back home or onto another acceptable travel experience.

Life is too short.

Edited by CBWIR

I think that if things were so bad and I had 45 more days to go I would jump ship and find another cruise line or an airline to get me back home or onto another acceptable travel experience.

Life is too short.

Belive i wish i eas on Az or cystral now

Not orefwct but cold was clothes and water at gangway and better coffee

Muriel

I am meeting nice people on my tours

Not yet in bars

I am sitting in one now while show is on

Early tour fast drink then book

Never realize you have done AZ

There have been many changes of late and none for better

But the worse was the rehab that

Took away storage in cabins and the poor choice of furniture on deck 5

After 44 cruises i know it needs help in places

Just spoke to asst F and B about lack of drinks and cold towels at pier

His story was we might not be allowed

I said every line has one if not both

Mention everyone we have been docked next to this cruise

Told him i poured water on a beach towel today to cool off

Guess thst will be me in each port

Muriel thank you for explaining about comparing ships food etc

I do that with posh hotels so i know where to go back too

Example the grand in Stockholm

So far my favorite meal has been in Prime 7

I will not suggest this cruise line for you

Itvis oceania with free drinks

Got it, Robin. Thx!

Funny that Celebrity still has the chilled hand towels and the ice water for us when returning from a port stop.

So -- the Grand in Stockholm -- exceeded your expectations, or failed to meet them??

And when you read towel-animal's and sanne's posts, you'll laugh -- but hopefully you'll tell us what you meant!

I do hope voicing your frustrations here will help you enjoy the good things on the ship. When is the turnaround day, when new passengers board? That will always change the vibe, and let's keep our fingers crossed that it will improve for you.

I'm suprised that there is no cold water available at the gangway. We were just on the Mariner (Amazon) and there was always cold water (in little cold case) and regular bottled water on a table. Is that cold case not there now? We always used a zip lock bag in which we put ice from our cabin and a wash cloth. Worked like a charm for a cold wipe down!

Got it, Robin. Thx!

Funny that Celebrity still has the chilled hand towels and the ice water for us when returning from a port stop.

So -- the Grand in Stockholm -- exceeded your expectations, or failed to meet them??

And when you read towel-animal's and sanne's posts, you'll laugh -- but hopefully you'll tell us what you meant!

I do hope voicing your frustrations here will help you enjoy the good things on the ship. When is the turnaround day, when new passengers board? That will always change the vibe, and let's keep our fingers crossed that it will improve for you.

Hi Muriel and others

I jumped into the ocean today..or can I say used a slide plus snorkel and later a second beach . Does that count for overboard.

So far three tours were good. The one I did not like in Coz the tour helper from ship wrote a novel. I saw her today abs she did a dolfin one here in Roatan. She said it was great. Saw her in the second beach.

Muriel

Celebrity still has cold towels and water on the return to ship. HAL Disney and NCL did too. They have at least one if not both. I check daily. C had towels but no water. I just took a bottle yet again and dump it on a towel

The Grand in Stockholm I loved. My suitcases did not follow me from London. No clue. I talked to the hotel and then went shopping and to an early dinner. I was hot and needed a bath by then. Went to hotel pool and they had loaner suits. Never done that but did. Later showed up in the hotel bar in my sleep suit from plane. Had a few drinks. Knew I have bags in morning. I called when I awoke and they arrived asap, enjoy a little more time here bd joined AZ.

I am staying at the Grand again in August. Gave myself more time this summer to redo a few things and to enjoy the spa more.

I try to stay a hotels if the world, ritz and FS depending where I am in the world. Love the Beverly Hills Hotel. Food very high but it is lala land.

Turn around day is Jan 23d I think in Lima. Two new countries on this leg, I really wanted to see them and more of Chile. Looking forward to freezing and taking motion pills but to see more of Mother Nature later on. Y the time we get back to heat I will be looking fir a beach again.

I have some private wine tours and Jewish history added on too.

No ports so far on this Navigator cruise so far but there was always cold water at the gangway as you get off the ship. I was on the Explorer in November/December and that was the case. I would be very surprised if there has been a policy change.

That is NOT the case with Crystal, by the way. There is water at the bar in the Cove if you happen to pass by - and remember to pick it up

Peggy

If you read Robin’s posts, she is talking about a lack of welcoming cold water and chilled towels on return to the ship after an excursion.

Flossie

Yes, that is correct. At a cocktail party tonight for the GV guests I met the new HD and his line in that was the same BS I have heard all week. I told him I am pouring water on a towel to wash up before I go up to cabin.

Never been on a five star ship rhst had neither. I agree to no water in Cystral at either end. But they had welcome back towels,

Off to dinner. Thinking sitting outside and eating eggplant tonight. Hope it is good.