LIVE - Mariner - Miami to Lima 1/5/2018 to 1/23/2018

irishwitchy

If you read Robin’s posts, she is talking about a lack of welcoming cold water and chilled towels on return to the ship after an excursion.

And if you read xrvlcruiser's post, she disputes the claim about Crystal (and she has done many cruises on. Both Crystal!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I don't usually respond to a thread that seems to be a complaint fest, but I can't believe that someone cares so much about being welcomed back with cold water and wet towels. Yes, it's a nice touch, but my goodness, you are coming back on board and your cabin isn't a mile away where I'm sure that you have cold water or cold something in the fridge and a wet cloth in your bathroom. Although we enjoyed our cruise with Silversea despite their insane dress rules, I couldn't believe that on the day of embarkation, there was a woman complaining to the front desk that a cheesecake had not be delivered to her room when she arrived. OMG!

And if you read xrvlcruiser's post, she disputes the claim about Crystal (and she has done many cruises on. Both Crystal!!!!!!!!!

To be fair I think she was talking about departing the ship

But let me comment on Crystal as I have done a few (but not as many as XRVLcruiser [emoji3])

On arrival back on board Symphony and Serenity we've found they have cold towels and water available at the tender embarkation point onshore and sometimes back on board at the entrance after security if it's a hot day and therefore appropriate - but its not always the case in our experience

Having said that if one wants bottled water on Crystal just go to the Cove on Deck 5 or the Bistro on Deck 6 - it's not an imposition

I'm more concerned about the treatment of the Butler and the expectations that seem to be set for him - I think it's polite to knock before entering a room and I don't see they should be clairvoyant and know when a person wants a drink unless the guest has provided a standing order request for one

Edited by Bodogbodog

I just walked in and out of Sette Marie. I was dressed to sit outside in a cute sundress. They said it was closed due to wind. I bet they are short staff. I just walked from aft to bow on pool deck it was nice out. If windy I would not of been outside.

On C I gave up walking more than once due to wind.

So my eggplant coming to my cabin.

I was really surprise that a little breeze closed the patio area. I sat outside eating many times on some ships just to enjoy the view.

Wonder what they will do in cold S America when guests are outside taking pictures in the wind. Tell us it is to cold to take pictures.

Robin, recently, on Voyager in Indian Ocean where it was quite hot, Regent stationed an Assistant Bartender (usually Joseph) at bottom of gangway with cold towels. When weather cooled down past Singapore, they didn't provide this service. There are always a couple of places where you can always get cold towels; on Deck 12 and also at pool bar. I frequently sat at pool bar with cold towel on back of my neck.

As for cold water, as others have stated, always available once you have entered the ship.

Hope all continues to go well; we fly to Lima a week from today.

Marc

To be fair I think she was talking about departing the ship

But let me comment on Crystal as I have done a few (but not as many as XRVLcruiser [emoji3])

On arrival back on board Symphony and Serenity we've found they have cold towels and water available at the tender embarkation point onshore and sometimes back on board at the entrance after security if it's a hot day and therefore appropriate - but its not always the case in our experience

Having said that if one wants bottled water on Crystal just go to the Cove on Deck 5 or the Bistro on Deck 6 - it's not an imposition

I'm more concerned about the treatment of the Butler and the expectations that seem to be set for him - I think it's polite to knock before entering a room and I don't see they should be clairvoyant and know when a person wants a drink unless the guest has provided a standing order request for one

I have never asked Darren to make me a drink. Two mornings I asked him to pour a glass of juice as I have a quart in the fridge. I guess I thought he might realize I drink it daily. I asked it to be poured as it was 730 am and just early for me. Knowing me it would be poured everywhere besides the glass. I do that awake.

As far as cold towels go C had them daily. As far as water goes they never did unless taking a tour. I took water from my cabin daily. Still do as it us habit.

In Dec neither the Bistro ir Cove had cold bottles of water. The Ave did nightly as my butler made sure it was done.

He also offered. To make me a drink if bringing ice or more juice in. That fridge was tiny and he replaced the juice daily.

I have a right not to love a ship. I knew coming into it not my favorite line but knew I would enjoy the ports,

Robin, recently, on Voyager in Indian Ocean where it was quite hot, Regent stationed an Assistant Bartender (usually Joseph) at bottom of gangway with cold towels. When weather cooled down past Singapore, they didn't provide this service. There are always a couple of places where you can always get cold towels; on Deck 12 and also at pool bar. I frequently sat at pool bar with cold towel on back of my neck.

As for cold water, as others have stated, always available once you have entered the ship.

Hope all continues to go well; we fly to Lima a week from today.

Marc

Looking forward to meeting you. Interesting to note that it takes plus 40 degrees Celsius to get a bartender to hand out a cold towel. Most ships use an asst housekeeper . How and qhwn in Asia is it cooler. I was there in2015 and daily it was around 40 .

I have seen the water at the top of gangway. After I get they to that area. I will just wet a towel when hit and cool down that way. I could take ice from cabin butt would be soup today.

How and qhwn in Asia is it cooler. I was there in2015 and daily it was around 40 .

Maybe things have changed since you were there in 2015 ;p - I don't think so; but you are not correct when you claim it's around 40 degrees. Case in point - today its 24 degrees C at 2pm in Singapore @ https://www.google.com.au/search?q=singapore+weather&gws_rd=cr,ssl&dcr=0&ei=sqBZWqi4I4HV0ASUzpeoCw - which is a good example of Asia - often it will be 30 degrees C - but very rarely would it be 40

I have never asked Darren to make me a drink. Two mornings I asked him to pour a glass of juice as I have a quart in the fridge. I guess I thought he might realize I drink it daily,

Make a drink - Pour a drink - seems pretty much the same to me...it's down to semantics

It would require clairvoyance for him to realise that you drink it daily

I wonder what your reaction would be if he had poured your juice in anticipation without checking with you and you didn't require a drink at that time. A case of damned if you do and damned if you don't...

First off i am on another 45 days

Second the awful coq au vin still on the menu there

Heard lots of complaints on it

Yes i prefer Az or C over this

But C standard cabin is over 260 sq feet is that small

But agree on the show room and shows

Small bars were better

I can’t believe that coq au vin is still on the menu! Funny about you hearing all those complaints on it.

No, 260 feet is not small. Maybe it was the fact that when we were on the Serenity it hadn’t yet been updated and the cabin seemed so dated. How does the Mariner cabin compare to Crystal’s?

Having never sailed on Azamara, but considering it for the future, am curious. Aside from your issues with Regent’s nightlife, why do you like it more? I’ve only been Regent once (the Explorer), but the food was sensational. And the cabin, with the bed facing the veranda, was amazing.

Our issue with Regent, and this of course is very subjective, is that we were new passengers to the line and just didn’t feel as welcomed by the Regent staff and crew as all the returning passengers, who comprised as usual most of the ship. And we made a genuine effort...they just didn’t seem interested.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can’t believe that coq au vin is still on the menu! Funny about you hearing all those complaints on it.

No, 260 feet is not small. Maybe it was the fact that when we were on the Serenity it hadn’t yet been updated and the cabin seemed so dated. How does the Mariner cabin compare to Crystal’s?

Having never sailed on Azamara, but considering it for the future, am curious. Aside from your issues with Regent’s nightlife, why do you like it more? I’ve only been Regent once (the Explorer), but the food was sensational. And the cabin, with the bed facing the veranda, was amazing.

Our issue with Regent, and this of course is very subjective, is that we were new passengers to the line and just didn’t feel as welcomed by the Regent staff and crew as all the returning passengers, who comprised as usual most of the ship. And we made a genuine effort...they just didn’t seem interested.

Unfortunately, I think the lack of "friendliness" can happen on any ship at any time. Although we are very fond of Crystal, we did have one cruise (we've done many with them) where a "group" was on board. Talk about a tough nut to crack!

Those folks were not interested in anyone that might not be with "them". Impossible to hold a conversation, rude, loud, etc. We, of course, made our own fun. The flip side is being advised that another line was somewhat stuffy, snobby, we found it to be the exact opposite and had a wonderful time.

I do hope you'll give Regent another shot. It really is a lovely line and 9 times out of 10, the passengers are friendly and genuine.

I am going to answer to you personally. First off one of the cou Au Vin complaints came from a lady at my table. Some of us had gone to Silk Road for dinner and the next night she mention it at dinner. The other person was the next cruise and I really do not remember why it came up. But on paper it sounded awful and I had the good kind .

The reason I asked about the sq feet is because AZ standard cabins is a tiny 175 sq feet. The smallest suite..which comes with a butler is about 265 sq feet. C standard cabin is around the same size. But the lay out is different and looks and feels smaller.

I was in a Cystral,PH. Think 300 and something maybe 400. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower, decent closet but not for a long cruise. Cabin and balcony were fine.

Meanwhile I have a PH here. The cabin is huge,lots of wasted space. Not enough storage and bathroom is tiny. Had more storage on C.

So far the friendly people are the entertainment crew and shore desk. A few guests are polite but nothing special. Not really friendly to new people.

I am ok with the tours and daytime today I kept busy. Wine tasting and a theatre tour. But besides the lack of nightlife and lack of cold towels and water..those are are the big things. I do not think of this ship as luxury compared to C. I will say the cocktail food way up there compared to Az. Lots of parties.

Az is design for people that like late nights in ports and overnights. Takes a while for crew to know you. Find one ir two bartenders and tell them how you like your favorite drink and you get it each time. Once they know your name they will use it.

Like all crew ships not prefect but the late nights in port and the crew make up for it. Please do not get a standard cabin. Get a CC or above.

Food wise MDR has good days and bad. I will go back to AZ and C but here..

I am going to answer to you personally. First off one of the cou Au Vin complaints came from a lady at my table. Some of us had gone to Silk Road for dinner and the next night she mention it at dinner. The other person was the next cruise and I really do not remember why it came up. But on paper it sounded awful and I had the good kind .

The reason I asked about the sq feet is because AZ standard cabins is a tiny 175 sq feet. The smallest suite..which comes with a butler is about 265 sq feet. C standard cabin is around the same size. But the lay out is different and looks and feels smaller.

I was in a Cystral,PH. Think 300 and something maybe 400. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower, decent closet but not for a long cruise. Cabin and balcony were fine.

Meanwhile I have a PH here. The cabin is huge,lots of wasted space. Not enough storage and bathroom is tiny. Had more storage on C.

So far the friendly people are the entertainment crew and shore desk. A few guests are polite but nothing special. Not really friendly to new people.

I am ok with the tours and daytime today I kept busy. Wine tasting and a theatre tour. But besides the lack of nightlife and lack of cold towels and water..those are are the big things. I do not think of this ship as luxury compared to C. I will say the cocktail food way up there compared to Az. Lots of parties.

Az is design for people that like late nights in ports and overnights. Takes a while for crew to know you. Find one ir two bartenders and tell them how you like your favorite drink and you get it each time. Once they know your name they will use it.

Like all crew ships not prefect but the late nights in port and the crew make up for it. Please do not get a standard cabin. Get a CC or above.

Food wise MDR has good days and bad. I will go back to AZ and C but here..

Thanks for the informative reply. And am enjoying reading your posts! In two weeks we’ll be in South America for a 34 day South America/Antarctica Cruise on Holland America. We booked it for the itinerary. We’ve never been on HAL, and are approaching the ship with hopefully realistic expectations.

This is odd, the first time we cruised Regent was last April and being new to Regent didn't make a difference--we were welcomed by the crew. Didn't feel anyone got a warmer welcome, crew did everything you'd want to make your cruise a good one. I really can't think of a thing the crew could have done better. In fact we're looking forward to the next cruise on Regent this April/May. Rick

Thanks for the informative reply. And am enjoying reading your posts! In two weeks we’ll be in South America for a 34 day South America/Antarctica Cruise on Holland America. We booked it for the itinerary. We’ve never been on HAL, and are approaching the ship with hopefully realistic expectations.

Hope that your HAL South America/Antarctica cruise is wonderful! If you will be posting, I'll look for it on the Holland America board!

In terms of this cruise, even though the Mariner is awaiting a 50M refurbishment - after which time she will be gorgeous, we just spent 25 night on her and found the food, service and even the suites to be wonderful. We were in a PH suite on Mariner in September and loved the extra space. Our butler on that cruise was one of the best that we have had on Regent.

Note: On our Amazon cruise in Nov./Dec. we experienced some of the hottest day ever and did take bottles of cold water when we left the ship every day (conveniently located near the gangway). We tried the washcloth thing and unless you have ice with it (we also tried ice in a plastic bag with a wet washcloth), the washcloth was too warm within minutes.

Hope that your HAL South America/Antarctica cruise is wonderful! If you will be posting, I'll look for it on the Holland America board!

In terms of this cruise, even though the Mariner is awaiting a 50M refurbishment - after which time she will be gorgeous, we just spent 25 night on her and found the food, service and even the suites to be wonderful. We were in a PH suite on Mariner in September and loved the extra space. Our butler on that cruise was one of the best that we have had on Regent.

Note: On our Amazon cruise in Nov./Dec. we experienced some of the hottest day ever and did take bottles of cold water when we left the ship every day (conveniently located near the gangway). We tried the washcloth thing and unless you have ice with it (we also tried ice in a plastic bag with a wet washcloth), the washcloth was too warm within minutes.

Thanks Jackie. Your posts on your Amazon journey were fascinating and so much fun to follow, and I know everyone on these boards always appreciates it when people take the time during a cruise to describe what they’re experiencing. So, if the internet isn’t horrible, and I can upload a picture in less than 15 costly minutes, I will probably give it a try!

I have friends who love HAL. Two sets at different ages. The only thing I know for sure the older couple love the speciality restaurant. Plus they serve cold drinks at the gangway before you hit the gangway. This is the first cruiseline in a decade that serves nothing.i walked up tomDisney and they were out else I would of grabbed water. Hal had plenty and seriously thought about it.

Loved the ports in 2012 that you are doing. Please bring plenty of motion sickness pills and ginger oil or pills,you will want some. Also I have used Silk underwear there .

Well the PH in here is much bigger than any ship I have been in with the smallest bathroom since I gave up,standard cabins.

I guess I should of looked at more cruiselines but I did not want to go big. There is no prefect cruiseline but this line my least favorite of under 1000 guests.

Find the crew friendly but the cold towel thing and lack of welcome back drinks has soured me on this line forever.

The food in general been ok. Getting my salad and anything else I need. But in cabin I wish they looked vs me asking for fridge items. Most butlers look and refill daily or as needed.

As I said Az not prefect but in many ways better than this.

I have friends who love HAL. Two sets at different ages. The only thing I know for sure the older couple love the speciality restaurant. Plus they serve cold drinks at the gangway before you hit the gangway. This is the first cruiseline in a decade that serves nothing.i walked up tomDisney and they were out else I would of grabbed water. Hal had plenty and seriously thought about it.

Loved the ports in 2012 that you are doing. Please bring plenty of motion sickness pills and ginger oil or pills,you will want some. Also I have used Silk underwear there .

Well the PH in here is much bigger than any ship I have been in with the smallest bathroom since I gave up,standard cabins.

I guess I should of looked at more cruiselines but I did not want to go big. There is no prefect cruiseline but this line my least favorite of under 1000 guests.

Find the crew friendly but the cold towel thing and lack of welcome back drinks has soured me on this line forever.

The food in general been ok. Getting my salad and anything else I need. But in cabin I wish they looked vs me asking for fridge items. Most butlers look and refill daily or as needed.

As I said Az not prefect but in many ways better than this.

Happy to hear good things about HAL. And at least we’ll get those cold drinks! :)

We’ve got Merino wool long underwear, multiple sets of gloves (e tip for iPhone use) and glove liners, warm socks and sock liners, scarves, hats, rain pants, you name it. And I think we have every inoculation known to man.

Also glad to hear you liked the ports.

Sorry to hear about all your current cruising challenges, but continue keeping us posted!

Happy to hear good things about HAL. And at least we’ll get those cold drinks! :)

We’ve got Merino wool long underwear, multiple sets of gloves (e tip for iPhone use) and glove liners, warm socks and sock liners, scarves, hats, rain pants, you name it. And I think we have every inoculation known to man.

Also glad to hear you liked the ports.

Sorry to hear about all your current cruising challenges, but continue keeping us posted!

I had no shots and did not years ago. But we missed a port due to wind after a storm. But I made it to the Falklands and went to Volunteer Point. What a great day.

I have loved every place I have been in S America but some areas of Brazil. Along with the layers leave all real jewelry at home. During the day no watches or wedding bands. They will take it so fast your head and body will spin. Never heard of sock liners. But I have LL Bean hand warmers. Wish I had better gloves. Unless in MIne hard to find good ones

The OP alive and well enjoying Prime 7 most nights. We managed to get in in two nights. She is spending her time hiking and doing so much they enjoy Prime 7 and crash most nights.

We both prefer the speciality places or Sette Marie .

Well I love salad but tonight had lobster, page and some. veggie dish. Do not eat steak.

The aBba set was fun tonight and tomorrow we have a pre dinner dance event . James Bond .plus the Beatles. So I get to dance some more

We did not make it to CR today. They woke many guests about the weather. Ship not rocky but we were one of three that did not make it in due to wind.

First time for everything. I was staying on today as I have been many times.

I was able to go back to sleep.

Read Wes is looking forward to the Falklands ,I got in but anorher port I did not that year. Weather can really ruin travel plans .

The Pre and post Cruise people are going to get a lot of rain in Peru. So be ready.

Robin, what's CR, where you weren't able to dock?

And you enjoyed lobster and page. What is page? Sometimes I can tell that one hand is moved over a key, and I know you type without looking (we used to call it touch typing, I think). But sometimes I can't tell, and this was two of those times.

The port we missed on Azamara Quest was Ushuaia. I was on your cruise! It was a wonderful cruise in many ways, but many things frustrated us so very much. Evidently our expectations were way too high. Now you tell me things are worse; but at least now I'll know what to expect! We've booked Cuba on AZ for Feb. of '19. Who knows what could happen in over a year, but that's our plan right now.

Perhaps you remember the captain (who had never been to Antarctica before) held a Q and A after we missed Ushuaia. He was really great. One guest was (imho) silly, and called Ushuaia "the highlight of the cruise". I was also disappointed, but you had to give the captain an A for effort. We stayed there for five hours still hoping to be able to disembark, and then another 12 hours, hoping to pick up the supplies that were waiting for us. So very true that weather is sometimes in control and nothing can be done.