LIVE - Mariner - Miami to Lima 1/5/2018 to 1/23/2018

irishwitchy

I was just on Mariner in a PH, so recently familiar with the layout. I also am curious how staff respond to a request for more drawers? Do they bring in a complete drawer unit and place it somewhere in the suite? I guess there would be room by the mirror (across from the bed). Just curious. Thanks.

Not asking for them but for lights

Needed more hangers and got them plus towels for balcony chairs

Still feel bathroom small

Lack of counter and atorage

I feel AZ the same

Friday, January 5/Saturday Jan 6 – depart Miami and Key West

A couple of comments about the Epic Hotel and getting on the bus. Our assigned bus, was bus #3 leaving at 12:45. Since checkout of the hotel was at noon, we walked out of the door on the 23rd floor to at least a dozen folks waiting for an elevator. Not good, one guy mentioned he had been there for 20 minutes already. We finally got on one at 12:15 and the lobby was packed with folks waiting to be called. Piece of advice, walk down the entrance and wait outside if the weather is nice. We were one of the first folks on when #3 appeared and there were folks that missed the #2 because they couldn’t get down the elevators.

Check in was very nice easy and there didn’t seem to be a red carpet for the good looking people with money or status! Grabbed a quick bite at the buffet, took off the leggings, sweatshirt and sneakers(keep in mind Miami was cold just like the rest of the USA, just not quite as cold) and found a chair in the sun on the pool deck to wait for the room. Rooms were ready about 2:40, but we needed to go find our suitcases and dragged them to our rooms. This is my second cruise on Regent and I have done two celebrity cruises, both times the Celebrity the bags have been in my room. Regent is 0 for 2.

Unpacked and we had plenty of hangers, but we aren’t heavy packers! The drinks we ordered were in the room as requested – so far so good. Muster drill as usual and back to suite to make us look nice for dinner. Decided to go to the horizon bar for the sail away, had a few drinks, but I did try to order a drink on the menu, but they couldn’t find pear liquor that was required, so I switched to the cosmo.

Off to dinner at the Compass Rose and a table for 2. It wasn’t the most romantic of tables, but we could see almost one whole side of the restaurant and that was great to see how everyone worked together and really hustled. I started with the Caesar salad (good), foie gras(needed to be warmer), Dover sole(very good, but something was lacking). My husband had lobster bisque (hot), escargot (not hot at all, this should be boiling – they tasted good, but need to be delivered very hot to the table), yellowfin tuna (neither one of us were impressed with this dish). Waiter was great and recommended the lobster tails, but told us to get three of them, which seemed to be overkill. However, they aren’t big and each piece was a half of tail. So we now know to ask home many scallops, etc is the serving. Deserts were fine.

Back to horizon lounge after dinner because cruise director Lorraine was doing a dance/band overview. We had a great time and some of the dancers helped my husband I remember a few dance moves that we were rusty on. Off to bed.

Today is Saturday and it is a very chilly, windy morning in Key West and our parasailing was cancelled. We have been to Key West before so we didn’t need the town tour and it was not going to be a great beach day either. Hence, we walked down Duval to check out the shops, check out the Garden Hotel which we stayed at before (looks great and I would stay there again). They recommended the Azur restaurant for lunch and that was very good. My initials happen to be KW, so now I have a new necklace and bracelet that have a KW on them. Walked by Hemingway’s house, because we are in Key West and you have to do that (we went in the last time). Last time we were here, it was biker lesbian week so the flavor this time in town was a bit more quiet. Not that we are bikers or lesbians(nothing wrong with either, but that did make for quite the trip.) Back to the ship and trivia in a bit.

Tonight, we will start the meal and explain that food needs to be hot, otherwise we will wait until it is. I was very impressed with the prices on the wine list, the mark up isn’t bad. Tomorrow is a sea day and the meet and mingle cocktail party is at 10am – interesting time for a cocktail party. We also got invited to Amex kitchen tour/cooking thing at 11:15 – has anyone done this before?

Greetings from cold South Beach, Irishwitchy. We did this AmEx event on Explore's TA in March of 2017, and it was very interesting. We also did the galley tour earlier in the cruise. Thanks for posting. I appreciate that you are spending precious cruise time doing so. Have a great time!

Mary

Wonderful reports Irishwitchy, echo Warbug's kudos for posting while on board, thankyou. For a different change of cocktail pace you could ask the horizon bartender to make you a Limoncello Champagne cocktail or an Aperol Sprtiz.

Not meant to be snarky or sarcastic at all and somewhat surprised you took it that way. Sorry if somehow I offended you.

But my question still stands. How are the extra drawers brought in? Are there additional standalone dresser units set up somewhere that have drawers in them? I have not yet been on the explorer - does the cabin have some type of counter that additional drawers can be attached to?

With respect to the lights, again I have not been on the explorer so I'm unclear how the additional lights are implemented. Do they change out bulbs or bring in additional freestanding lighting fixtures.

John,

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your message - tone is hard to tell with "words only".

The drawers brought to me on the NAVIGATOR were about 24" wide and 4 drawers tall - I had three. I had 2 put in the back of the closet - under the rod - and one next to the couch, nearest to the bed. I had the side table there - glass with a lamp - removed. They were free-standing. I was in a standard cabin.

No extra freestanding fixtures by the bed on the NAVIGATOR so the bulbs must have been changed. And in the bathroom.

And the brighter lights in the bathroom on the Explorer must have been different bulbs.

Hope this helps . . and again - John - I'm sorry I took your words the wrong way.

Peggy

I was in a Superior cabin on the Explorer last month - the storage there was wonderful - no need to bring in any extra drawers. If you look at the picture, you will see a number of drawer in the desk unit, more under the TV, more in the closet and more storage in the bathroom. Plus the closet was a very good size.

Bathroom lights on the Explorer - no extra fixtures but the lights were brighter - I assumes the bulbs were changed.

Almostvstayed at Epic in Nov but switch to MB

I still would of booked on my own and uber over when i was ready

Most hotels will give late check out

Key west was lovely today

Sunny

I walked to the beach and many people sunning

Had my lobster roll and went drinking and to cvs

I saw everything from summer clothes to coats

Laughed at the coats

The bikers were involved with a veterns thing

Welcome biker vets everywhere

With thank yous

Saw no who gay

Walkwd by gay clubs too

Dover sole

Hot and served correctly but needs spices that are in my home

Also not setved table side like AZ and Oceania

Medical Center

Hours suck

Only four hours a day compared to six on Az and eight on Cystral

Plus seperate hours for crew

You really think i am

Making a special trip from the dock to my cabin back down at sis at night

Please

Dover sole

Hot and served correctly but needs spices that are in my home

Also not setved table side like AZ and Oceania

Medical Center

Hours suck

Only four hours a day compared to six on Az and eight on Cystral

Plus seperate hours for crew

You really think i am

Making a special trip from the dock to my cabin back down at sis at night

Please

If you need urgent medical attention then obviously it's available 24/7. Clinic opening hours are more than adequate for non-emergencies IMO.

Is there anything you actually like about your cruise yet?

It's always interesting to hear feedback from fellow cruisers, regarding their experiences on board. I'm sorry to hear that there is someone who is experiencing some difficulties on Mariner. My husband and I will be boarding Mariner in February and we do hope to have a positive experience, considering we did so on our trip on Mariner to Alaska. While everyone's experience and expectations may differ, it's difficult for me to say that there is one perfect cruise ship--there always seems to be something about each cruise ship/experience that one can find fault with. We liked Silversea, but had an issue with horrendous noise in the walls of our cabin, from the plumbing and we eventually had to move our cabin location after three sleepness nights. On Seabourn, there was so much vibration, that our bed shook, unless the speed of the ship was slow. I had to go visit the ship's doctor to get sleeping pills and then was given $100 bill for the service. However, on both ships, the itinerary, food, service or something else made up for the inconvenience . Like everything else in life, you can't expect perfection. I hope everyone cruising finds enjoyment and wonderful memories to bring home.

It's always interesting to hear feedback from fellow cruisers, regarding their experiences on board. I'm sorry to hear that there is someone who is experiencing some difficulties on Mariner. My husband and I will be boarding Mariner in February and we do hope to have a positive experience, considering we did so on our trip on Mariner to Alaska. While everyone's experience and expectations may differ, it's difficult for me to say that there is one perfect cruise ship--there always seems to be something about each cruise ship/experience that one can find fault with. We liked Silversea, but had an issue with horrendous noise in the walls of our cabin, from the plumbing and we eventually had to move our cabin location after three sleepness nights. On Seabourn, there was so much vibration, that our bed shook, unless the speed of the ship was slow. I had to go visit the ship's doctor to get sleeping pills and then was given $100 bill for the service. However, on both ships, the itinerary, food, service or something else made up for the inconvenience . Like everything else in life, you can't expect perfection. I hope everyone cruising finds enjoyment and wonderful memories to bring home.

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I agree with you completely. We've cruised extensively, starting in the early 80's and we've been on everything, from the sublime to the ridiculous. We're had a good time on all of them. Some, naturally, better than others. I think the key to a good trip, no matter which line you're on, is having a good attitude. Goes a long way!

If there is something grossly (and I mean majorly) wrong, say something to someone. If you speak up, (at least on Regent), you stand a good chance it will be fixed.

Enjoying both Irishwitchey's and Elbon's live reports, thanks for sharing.

Elbon/Robin is bringing a unique perspective to her posts having just completed about a month on Crystal, disembarking on Jan 5th and then immediately embarking on the Mariner. Having read her Crystal Thread

from Dec 6-Jan5, nearly 300 posts--she shares many positive cruising comments as well as when things she is experiencing on board that are not positive.

Look forward to her perspective--she is now going to spend seven weeks+ on Regent. We will hopefully see you during our Meet and Mingle (Lima to Buenos Aires).

Wes

I guess a poster missed how good dinner was last night. I had the same fish two nights in a row no it was hot and well made. I agree with the OP it needed somethings seasoning. But it was good.

What I do like is my bed bd sofa. Bed is comfortable and so is sodfl but ir could hold five peoole. I would of prefer more drawers to a living sofa.

I found by putting the life jackets under the bed I could store shoes, jacket etc in closet but need a chair to get to it,the bar area with glass door has backnstock of fluids for rhe trip and meds fir my cough and nasal problems left over from last cruise.

Wes , I did not realize you read my whole Cystral thread. I t took me a few days there too. But from the very beginning love my cabin peoole and butler. Finding I got my coffee yesterday but took a long time.akipping it today.

I have not found music that I like yet. Tonight fir a short 45 minutes they are play my music in one bar while the deo in another. So I will walk back bd forth for a while.

I found he person at tour desk very helpful about a snorkel tour.i was able to go later. On another one not.

I need to look at a booklet again and decide if I picked the right tours months ago or not.

I am also finding rhe MDR staff helpful. But they need to get the two tops clean asap. Two separate parties came in at 830 and both had to wait for a table. I eat slower than they serve. I can aim for arriving earlier but not always.

Tonight is Prime 7 ..thought it was last nights.

Oh, I do not have to,love this line today or next week. I have to learn to accept this line fir the next 49 nights. Already met peoole for the whole 50 nights.

Oh, inthink my closet light was fixed, shut the door behind me at2330 and it seemed brighter. Big help.

I have to agree with TC about plugs, have night lights and a small plug for more plugs.seems to charge everything in dresssing table as rhen near purses and bed.

Mexico.. I was asked my the dr on Cystral to check my blood pressure dail for a week. Not happened on rhis ship as at 440 yesterday by the doors and it said crew only,

Guests is six to eight. In cabin then getting dressed for dinner or in a bar, no, I do not have the morning hours with me. Next time I will go at five when I come back on ship and then walk up,to my room

Having separate crew hours is a class ..low.. is it the 1880's again. Crew bd I have always used the same time.

No four hours a day not enough.

I was on the Mariner last month. Last year I had a neck surgery that prevented me from sleeping flat on my back. At home, we have an adjustable bed. When we boarded the ship we asked the stewardesses if they had a wedge pillow (customer service said they did). Well, they didn't. When they returned that evening to turn down the bed, they brought with them a wedge pillow that they had made by chopping foam pillows into and forming into a wedge shape and then covering the whole invention with upholstery. It was wonderful!

931453236_PillowTalk.jpg.a58b1017d957f37e3fe7d385cc7ec04f.jpg

We arrived on mariner until BA as well and were at the meet and mingle this morning with about 12 others plus most of staff officers. Aivo is captain , Nickie is GM ( until Belize), Lorraine cruise director, William is Concierge, Donald food and beverage, Kelly Cochran is chef. The duo is Svetlana and Janos who play dance music at night and we like them. Bridge instructor onboard until Barcelona is Enid and she is an excellent instructor. If anyone coming on has questions, I will do my best to find answers. We had wonderful veal at Sette Mare last night- I recommend it.

I was on the Mariner last month. Last year I had a neck surgery that prevented me from sleeping flat on my back. At home, we have an adjustable bed. When we boarded the ship we asked the stewardesses if they had a wedge pillow (customer service said they did). Well, they didn't. When they returned that evening to turn down the bed, they brought with them a wedge pillow that they had made by chopping foam pillows into and forming into a wedge shape and then covering the whole invention with upholstery. It was wonderful!

Thanks for the reminder of the great on-board service, DW and I have gotten from the crew on Regent ships. DW says that she always feels "pampered".

Maybe I'm easy to please but I found no issues with Mariner and we disembarked January 5th. Our meals were always hot (including the escargot) and well seasoned. There wasn't one single meal we were not happy with. We have cruised several times with Chef Kelly and think he's great. Right now the Mariner has more drawers than Voyager and Navigator. After March, the Mariner will lose drawers since it will be same layout as other ships. The only ship I find with plenty of drawers is the Explorer. The bathroom and closet is also bigger on Explorer. I didn't have issue with lights in closet on the Mariner. I had no problem finding clothes. I usually ask for extra hangers and get them. This time it was a short cruise so I didn't need extra. Your butler will go out of his way to provide what you need. I hope the rest of your cruise goes well. We love Regent so maybe we are biased. We are also not picky. Enjoy the cruise and most of all the crew. They are wonderful and go out of their way to please passengers.

Maybe I'm easy to please but I found no issues with Mariner and we disembarked January 5th. Our meals were always hot (including the escargot) and well seasoned. There wasn't one single meal we were not happy with. We have cruised several times with Chef Kelly and think he's great. Right now the Mariner has more drawers than Voyager and Navigator. After March, the Mariner will lose drawers since it will be same layout as other ships. The only ship I find with plenty of drawers is the Explorer. The bathroom and closet is also bigger on Explorer. I didn't have issue with lights in closet on the Mariner. I had no problem finding clothes. I usually ask for extra hangers and get them. This time it was a short cruise so I didn't need extra. Your butler will go out of his way to provide what you need. I hope the rest of your cruise goes well. We love Regent so maybe we are biased. We are also not picky. Enjoy the cruise and most of all the crew. They are wonderful and go out of their way to please passengers.

Agree with everything that you posted. We enjoyed every minute of our recent Mariner cruise. I did want to mention that the Seven Seas and above suites were refurbished more recently than the rest of the ship so they already "lost" their drawers. It seems that drawer space was important for the new ship(s) but were not considered for the refurbished ships. One note about the Explorer closets ..... yes they are bigger in F1/F2 and Concierge suites but the PH suites have the smallest closet that I've ever seen on a Regent ship (smallest is too "large" of a word -- they are teeny!)

ellbon - it is not unusual - especially when going from one cruise line to another in such a short time - to have culture shock. Regent is different than other luxury lines (although we find Silversea to have many similarities) so we adjust our expectations when trying another cruise line. You will be onboard for so long that you will likely get used to Regent. Even if you decide not to sail Regent in the future, I hope that the rest of your cruise is fun and memorable.

I am finding ny room attebdebts are great, I ask and ut us done. My butler helped me on the phone with internet yesterday. Getting back online s a little harder than Cystral but about the same s Az.

We had spinach slid last night and I spoke to Alin about getting it most days if in MDR. For me it could be my main course.

I am in a PH on deck nine. I am finding rhis us the longest and widest cabin ever but just lots of wasted space.i have an empty wall with a mirror. I see drawers. The hanging space in closet is fine for me. The drawer space is not.

One rocky day in S America my shoes will be all over. On Az they are on shelves and floor. In Cystral all were on selves. Never had that much storage in80 cruises.

Today arrived a jacket fir freezing part of S America and another tote bag. Rhis high end. I need to try in jacket. I am short but depending on brand where a large for hips. To warm to try on right now.

Today we had caviar fir breakfast. Slept thrust it. Lunch was a mix for me of Mexican plus a turkey burger.

Spoke to the HD and I might see drawers tonight.yes! If low they can go in closet if taller to the left if they mirror. They would be great fir bathroom stuff and shoes . Or anything rhst is still above the bar rhst fluids

I just got a lovely invite to a beach party for the Grand Voyage tomorrow night in COZ. Sounds about what AZ does but for Onky our 50 vs whole ship. Open bar and snacks. I will wear a beach dress . We leave at 730 and get back, at 1030.

Almost went to do laundry but I can wait for my free bag in about three or four days.

I am still waiting for copies of passport. I like to have one for each week. They get wet or messy from folding and unfolding.

I know I will see them as I left the HD and my room attendant knew I wanted drawers,

Oh for the record the closet is brighter.

I like a little more night life but tonight is love rock and roll for a short set but at least alive. The duo are ok but they quit to early last two night. Think tonight later

I

Today arrived a jacket fir freezing part of S America and another tote bag. Rhis high end. I need to try in jacket. I am short but depending on brand where a large for hips. To warm to try on right now.

Do you know if all passengers are getting coat?

See you soon!

Marc

Do you know if all passengers are getting coat?

See you soon!

Marc

Look at my typos! Was tired by then. It is a jacket. I am guessing you should. Surprised it came today. It says Grand Voyage. If not here not a Grand, have two jackets here now. Nor sure where it is going in suitcase. The tote bag is huge. Have my AZ one and my Cystral one here too.