Behind the Scenes

cltnccruisers

Cruises most often have a tour of the galley (final prep area) event on one of the sea days. Celebrity used to have bridge tours and backstage tours as events, but I don't think I've seen either on recent cruises. Behind the scenes is interesting...you see the bridge, you see more of the galley than just the final prep area and (I think) you get to see backstage as well....and I forgot, I think you see the engine control room (note....it's the room with all the instruments, not the engines themselves.

If you are interested in how the ship runs behind the scenes, it's a great tour. I'd enjoy it (if I hadn't already seen all of those areas)...my wife would rather count tiles on the ceiling while lying on a chaise than going on this tour. Different strokes......

We did one of the tours which included lunch with officers in Tuscan Grill at the end. It included a bridge tour, backstage tour, kitchen tour, engine room, anchor area, crew dining and quarters, and storage areas for food and beverages. Fascinating. The ending in Tuscan included wine with choice of an entree along with salad and dessert. We enjoyed it.

I noted a different tour is now available which did not include the meal. Check on board.

We did the tour last year on Reflection, and enjoyed it. You spend time on the bridge, galley, engineering, laundry, recycling, and food storage areas. It was fascinating although the behind-the-scenes tour on Princess a few years ago included food and drinks. None included with Celebrity. We signed up onboard. They promote it in the daily newsletter.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Forums mobile app

We had a great amount of non-refundable OBC so both my husband and I did the Behind the Scenes tour on the Millennium last summer. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't remember the cost, but it seems it was either $89.00 or $99.00 so was less expensive than when this tour included a lunch.

We were issued ear pieces which were volume adjustable. As we went through the ship each crew member was handed a mic, so we could hear everything clearly. There were certainly less than 15 people on our tour, and it was listed in the shore excursion brochure delivered to the staterooms on embarkation day. It lasted longer than the time listed in the brochure as questions were thoroughly answered. We had a number of engineers on the tour and also a retired commercial airline pilot, so there were a number of specific and interesting questions.

In addition to visiting the bridge, engine control room, galley, interior crew bar, laundry, I-95 corridor, what I found most interesting was the recycling center. We have been on bridges on several ships, and in the engine control room once, but I found that recycling center more interesting than the bridge.

Did you book the tour once you were on ship?

The tours are ship specific. In the past, we had tried to sign up but were too late in doing so as there was a limit imposed. So we went early last cruise and signed up and were told we would be contacted when the event would take place. The cost for us was about $150 each which included lunch in Tuscan Grill with two officers for our small group. Now I see some ships have a $89 tour which does not include lunch. This one has been listed in the excursion brochure on some ships.