Gala Nights and Gowns

Epicureangirl

Hello all, I am almost scared to post this question in case it turns into the "Shorts in Dining Room 1st Night" thread (with photos of men in pastel-pink lace shorts and shirts) ... :D but here it goes.

I am packing for my Asia cruise, there will likely be 2 "Gala Nights" in the 15 days. For those of you who actually own a gown (not like Cinderella's gown, just a full length elegant black dress), did you wear yours on a recent HAL cruise and feel overdressed? Yes, this question is directed at the ladies... :')

If I'm going to dress up, I might as well wear it instead of it gathering dust (I don't have many opportunities outside the holiday season to wear it). I usually bring cocktail dresses, but honestly this one is more comfortable and will not take up a lot of space in my luggage. That said, I still don't want to drag this dress (carefully ;)) with me 1/2 way across the world, to find that I don't even wear it for the 2nd gala night because I'm so out of place (with 99% of the women wearing pant-suits for instance). I'm not sure if this itinerary makes it more or less likely to be have people dress up for the Gala Night.

I know I'm overthinking this and just need you ladies to set me straight so I can get back to my packing! Thanks.

I have a "basic" dark blue gown that I've worn on all my cruises that have a formal night (and I love that it packs well). On our 21 night HAL cruise I wore it twice. Never felt overdressed. I also wore dress black pants with a sparkly top on one of the formal nights. Personally, I love dressing up, so I don't let it bother me if others want to "dress down".

Epucurean Girl, I hope you wear your gown and that you enjoy wearing it. It is not something that I would wear - I am short and long gowns make me look even shorter.

I hope everyone wears what suits them and what they feel most comfortable in. (Within the HAL guidelines). After all isn't that what a cruise is all about.

If it makes you feel any better, my husband still wears his tux and I still wear a beautiful dress. I would feel uncomfortable wearing anything else. (There's still time to turn this into a no-shorts-in-the-dining-room thread.)

If it makes you feel any better, my husband still wears his tux and I still wear a beautiful dress. I would feel uncomfortable wearing anything else. (There's still time to turn this into a no-shorts-in-the-dining-room thread.)

And we will make sure you are not the only ones ;p

Epucurean Girl, I hope you wear your gown and that you enjoy wearing it. It is not something that I would wear - I am short and long gowns make me look even shorter.

I hope everyone wears what suits them and what they feel most comfortable in. (Within the HAL guidelines). After all isn't that what a cruise is all about.

Absolutely true. The dress is flattering, comfortable and I love not having to worry if my cocktail dress is riding up too-much when I sit down. All that, AND I feel like $800,000 in it! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds wonderful (what you both wear I mean). And I know there’s time to turn it into the other type of thread, so if you have pics of ladies in tuxes and men in gowns... [emoji23]

I have a "basic" dark blue gown that I've worn on all my cruises that have a formal night (and I love that it packs well). On our 21 night HAL cruise I wore it twice. Never felt overdressed. I also wore dress black pants with a sparkly top on one of the formal nights. Personally, I love dressing up, so I don't let it bother me if others want to "dress down".

By “basic” I think you meant to say “classically elegant”? [emoji6] Sounds like it that [emoji156] would be to me at least!

I think that if you want to wear a gown or a tux you should just go ahead and do it. What does it matter about others?

I don't see any issue about conforming or what others may or may be wearing or even concerning yourself about it.

If it pleases you to wear this, then do so.

Just go, have a great time dressing up, and enjoy your cruise.

. I hear scrubs are VERY comfortable. I wouldn't be surprised if you kept some tucked away for 'just around the house'. Or are women the only ones who do that sort of thing? :confused: So you had a job with a comfortable uniform -- no wonder you don't want to dress up on vacation. Actually, I only want to dress up for 3 hours or less. It's nice to have a break from heels (not that you would know anything about that).

I have been wearing scrubs for over 37 years. I live to dress up on vacation, especially cruises. It's ballgowns and tuxes for me and my husband.When I finally retire, I guarantee you there will be done tucked in the closet.

That's a lot of buttonholes.

BTW, and sorry for drifting into men's attire, but does anyone know if there is a secret to keeping a bow tie straight (horizontal, not slanted)? I am the Dilbert of bow ties.

Omg I never noticed the buttonholes! I enlarged the pic (my eyes!) and actually lol'd. As for the bow tie... do you do right over left; left over right?