Gala Nights and Gowns

Epicureangirl

Hello all, I am almost scared to post this question in case it turns into the "Shorts in Dining Room 1st Night" thread (with photos of men in pastel-pink lace shorts and shirts) ... :D but here it goes.

I am packing for my Asia cruise, there will likely be 2 "Gala Nights" in the 15 days. For those of you who actually own a gown (not like Cinderella's gown, just a full length elegant black dress), did you wear yours on a recent HAL cruise and feel overdressed? Yes, this question is directed at the ladies... :')

If I'm going to dress up, I might as well wear it instead of it gathering dust (I don't have many opportunities outside the holiday season to wear it). I usually bring cocktail dresses, but honestly this one is more comfortable and will not take up a lot of space in my luggage. That said, I still don't want to drag this dress (carefully ;)) with me 1/2 way across the world, to find that I don't even wear it for the 2nd gala night because I'm so out of place (with 99% of the women wearing pant-suits for instance). I'm not sure if this itinerary makes it more or less likely to be have people dress up for the Gala Night.

I know I'm overthinking this and just need you ladies to set me straight so I can get back to my packing! Thanks.

With the relaxed dress code for Gala nights, you'll see a wide variety. Gowns will be in the minority, but I don't think I've ever seen a Gala night with zero gowns and tuxes. Just not a lot. I've worn gowns on Gala night and I've gone with just a LBD and a variety of accessories.

I guess this isn't a lot of help, but the bottom line is to wear what you will like. If you don't want to be one of the few ladies in a gown, then you might be happier in a cocktail dress. But if you like wearing the gown and it's easy to pack, I'd say go for it!

We've been on three TA's, and I have always worn a gown on one of the Gala nights and dressy pants and sparkly top on other nights. DH always wears a tux. We will be on the 2018 Grand Asia and intend to night and to continue this pattern. Enjoy your long black dress. Classy!

Edited by Tampa Girl
Misspelling

With the relaxed dress code for Gala nights, you'll see a wide variety. Gowns will be in the minority, but I don't think I've ever seen a Gala night with zero gowns and tuxes. Just not a lot. I've worn gowns on Gala night and I've gone with just a LBD and a variety of accessories.

I guess this isn't a lot of help, but the bottom line is to wear what you will like. If you don't want to be one of the few ladies in a gown, then you might be happier in a cocktail dress. But if you like wearing the gown and it's easy to pack, I'd say go for it!

Fair and accurate response, IMO. :)

As an uninvolved bystander, I hope you do bring -and wear - the gown. Just because you do not have to, there is no reason to not go to a bit of effort on an evening when there is a fair chance that a number of your shipmates might do as well.

I hope we are not evolving into a society where everyone always just wears utilitarian, no fuss clothes: sort of like China was back in Mao days - they seem to have outgrown that drab chapter.

Yeah, yeah - what people wear has no impact on food - we all agree - but attractive clothes are just more conducive to a pleasant evening than the same old same old.

We were on a cruise in Asia in 2014 and it was without a doubt the cruise where more people dressed formally than any other cruise we have ever been on. The Asian people on the cruise really went all out, with some of them even wearing traditional formal Korean, Japanese and Chinese clothes. It was very nice!

As an uninvolved bystander, I hope you do bring -and wear - the gown. Just because you do not have to, there is no reason to not go to a bit of effort on an evening when there is a fair chance that a number of your shipmates might do as well.

I hope we are not evolving into a society where everyone always just wears utilitarian, no fuss clothes: sort of like China was back in Mao days - they seem to have outgrown that drab chapter.

Yeah, yeah - what people wear has no impact on food - we all agree - but attractive clothes are just more conducive to a pleasant evening than the same old same old.

I will translate 'uninvolved bystander' to mean you're not a lady and have certainly not owned a gown. ;) Your comments are equally appreciated!

Yes, I always put forward an effort, not just when there is a dress-code involved. Even my version of 'casual' is probably still pretty dressed-up in many people's opinion. I would hate to consider myself contributing to the demise of the formal-night, though it has been well-reported that it is becoming more and more casual onboard (and I swear I had nothing to do with that!).

Unfortunately, I still worry about silly things like fitting in, and other people being comfortable around me too. I'll learn though -- give me 10 years or so and I won't care about anyone's opinion other than my own... :')

Thanks for your thoughts. The gown is getting a spot in the suitcase!

We were on a cruise in Asia in 2014 and it was without a doubt the cruise where more people dressed formally than any other cruise we have ever been on. The Asian people on the cruise really went all out, with some of them even wearing traditional formal Korean, Japanese and Chinese clothes. It was very nice!

That's great to know, thanks so much for sharing your experience.

As a confirmed member of the “no way no how will I dress up on vacation” club, I say if you want to wear it, go for it! Everyone should be able to wear what they want as long as it fits the dress code! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A couple of yeas ago at the Elton John concert at Caesars LV, DW wore a cocktail dress purchased earlier in the day but later worried it would look out of place. I told her it was perfect and she looked smashing in it.

When we arrived at the concert, most people were already seated. As we made our way to our seats, every man AND woman turned to look and admire her. 3 or 4 ladies actually stopped her and complimented on her dress and how wonderful she looked in it. I felt so happy for her.

Trust your feelings. If you feel you look great in your cocktail dress, knock em out. If you feel you like the look of your gown, then wear that.

Shania Twain says she likes to wear what she likes in the mirror. Forget what people will say or think.

Gown or Cocktail dress, its all up to you. As for packing it, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

There are certain itineraries that attract more people who like to dress up.

We did HAL's 21 day repositioning cruise from Ft Lauderdale to either Seattle or San Diego many times. We were shocked on our one cruise when there was hardly a man in a tuxedo and only a handful of women in gowns/long skirts with fancy tops. This was before HAL started Gala Nights. DH game home, tucked his tuxedo in the back of the closet and bought a couple more suits and jackets and slacks for our next cruises. I used to have long skirts with fancy tops. But once I had to start using a Rollator, end of long skirts -- worried about them getting caught in the wheels. I still wear 3/4 length skirts with fancy tops.

Your itinerary is one that should attract more people to dress up.

SO -- that long gown!!

Have a great cruise.

A couple of yeas ago at the Elton John concert at Caesars LV, DW wore a cocktail dress purchased earlier in the day but later worried it would look out of place. I told her it was perfect and she looked smashing in it.

When we arrived at the concert, most people were already seated. As we made our way to our seats, every man AND woman turned to look and admire her. 3 or 4 ladies actually stopped her and complimented on her dress and how wonderful she looked in it. I felt so happy for her.

Trust your feelings. If you feel you look great in your cocktail dress, knock em out. If you feel you like the look of your gown, then wear that.

Shania Twain says she likes to wear what she likes in the mirror. Forget what people will say or think.

Gown or Cocktail dress, its all up to you. As for packing it, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

After reading the last sentence, I think I will need to get that extra suitcase out! ;)

I do love the gown. The last compliment I received on it was, "If I had a dress like THAT, you couldn't get me to take it off -- I'd be doing the dishes in it!". It was a compliment from a (female) VP. I often think of doing the dishes in it... ;p

Edited by Epicureangirl
typo

As a confirmed member of the “no way no how will I dress up on vacation” club, I say if you want to wear it, go for it! Everyone should be able to wear what they want as long as it fits the dress code! Enjoy!

So, I guess the members of your club don't have to wear a uniform, and definitely not a blazer... ;) And thanks for your comment -- I will go for it.

So, I guess the members of your club don't have to wear a uniform, and definitely not a blazer... ;) And thanks for your comment -- I will go for it.

Haha! Do scrubs count? That was my uniform for 20+ years!

Haha! Do scrubs count? That was my uniform for 20+ years!

. I hear scrubs are VERY comfortable. I wouldn't be surprised if you kept some tucked away for 'just around the house'. Or are women the only ones who do that sort of thing? :confused: So you had a job with a comfortable uniform -- no wonder you don't want to dress up on vacation. Actually, I only want to dress up for 3 hours or less. It's nice to have a break from heels (not that you would know anything about that).

. I hear scrubs are VERY comfortable. I wouldn't be surprised if you kept some tucked away for 'just around the house'. Or are women the only ones who do that sort of thing? :confused: So you had a job with a comfortable uniform -- no wonder you don't want to dress up on vacation. Actually, I only want to dress up for 3 hours or less. It's nice to have a break from heels (not that you would know anything about that).

Actually, I’m a woman! And yes I have some scrubs for painting and other dirty stuff!

@JRG, wasn’t Elton great? Loved that concert!

Elton rocked it and was unbelievably down to earth. His back-story and performance of

"Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters' as a tribute to 911 victims was memorable. So was his

version of "Candle in the Wind" memorializing Lady Di.

Lady E sounds like a rockstar too! Hope she rocks it in the MDR with whatever she chooses to wear.

. So you DO know what I mean! But do you take heels on your cruise, or is that definitely in the no-way category?

No way! For a warm weather cruise, it’s nice (ie leather) flip flops with a sundress or maxi dress. For the Alaska cruise, probably ballet flats with pants.