Any suggestions for a novice alcohol drinker with the unlimited package? Thanks!

First off, I am not a light weight. I weigh about 260, mostly muscle, and back in college I had a good tolerance for alcohol.

Second, I am getting the package because my brother and I are sharing a room and he wants it.

Third, Adventure of the Seas.

Fourth, I like the flavor of alcohol but I am not much of a partier so I rarely get more then beer.

Basically, what cocktails or liquers should I try? I know this is something of a random question but I am curious if anyone has suggestions.

I am thinking I will get whiskey and bourbon and try them both side by side. Ditto with types of rum and tequila. Thinking about trying some of the classic like a long island iced tea, mudslide, whiskey sour, ect. I like most of the sweet tropical cocktails (mojitos, ect.) and I am very willing to experiment.

Do a search in the Norwegian Cruiseline forum for “UBP Must Try Cocktail/Drink List!” There are about 2 years worth of posts and several spreadsheets of drink ideas. While some are unique to NCL, I think you will find most would apply to any ship.

Cheers!

First, start practicing! Then try anything you want! The mudslides were only ok on Freedom last month. I don’t like dark alcohol, so I am no help there, but I was a huge fan of the Labadoozies in Labadee, so if you are going there give one of them a shot!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Avoid the sweet sugary drinks or you'll be in pain. Get some Vitamin B patches, bottled water, gatorade, or Pedialyte packets or you'll be in pain. pace yourself. I like Moscow Mules; tell them NO WELL LIQUOR. Good Vodka should have no smell!

First off, I am not a light weight. I weigh about 260, mostly muscle, and back in college I had a good tolerance for alcohol.

Second, I am getting the package because my brother and I are sharing a room and he wants it.

Fourth, I like the flavor of alcohol but I am not much of a partier so I rarely get more then beer.

Basically, what cocktails or liquers should I try? I know this is something of a random question but I am curious if anyone has suggestions.

I am thinking I will get whiskey and bourbon and try them both side by side. Ditto with types of rum and tequila. Thinking about trying some of the classic like a long island iced tea, mudslide, whiskey sour, ect. I like most of the sweet tropical cocktails (mojitos, ect.) and I am very willing to experiment.

Enjoy! Just off Adventure in December. Liked the Caribbean Cooler (vodka plus juices - nice poolside). Adult solarium bar tenders are great. Trying drink of the day is good start

Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You know if you are a novice I have two suggestions if you want to enjoy and remember the cruise. 1) You still have time to switch to the classic soda package for just $8.50 a day by calling RCI and then if you want an beer or two on the ship you can purchase them instead of paying almost $60 a day for the deluxe beverage package. 2) If you stick with the package, take it easy. There are so many things to enjoy on the ship without being impaired. Getting sick on a ship is not pleasant. Have fun whatever you do.

Everyone is sort of different but there are some guidelines as some have mentioned already. Limit the desert/sugary drinks to very few. Stuff like Mud Slides, White Russians, all the cream based liquors. These will all make you feel horrible later in the evening and next day. Some say not to mix, I personally have no problems mixing types. I very often do Beers and Cocktails in the after noon, Cocktails pre-Dinner, wine with dinner, maybe one desert type drink, and stick to cocktails late evening. But, I usually stick to the same liquor types in the evening. If I start the evening with a Rye/whiskey based drink, I stick to those for the rest of the evening. Old Fashioneds, Scotch, Manhattans, Sazeracs, Rye & Ginger. If I started with a Gin based Drink, then it is Gin & Tonics, Moscow Mules (I know it is Vodka, but they are both clear liquors and can go from one or the other), Gin or Vodka Gimlets. I stay away from the LIIT (Long Island Ice Tea) type of dinks in the evening. Only in the afternoon.

If you want to try a nice Aperitif drink before dinner, Try an Aperol Spritz. If you like Orange, Aperol is Also Italian but is not as Bitter as it's relative Campari.

Afternoon Pool side Favorites:

Frozen Mojito

Moscow Mule

LIIT

Mai Tai

Margarita

Gin & Tonic

and of course... Beer (I like the hoppy stuff when in the sun)

Favorite Breakfast Cocktails:

Mimosa

Bloody Caesar

Irish Coffee

Drink lots of water. I always give that advice and never follow it myself :rolleyes:

More references available upon request ;p

Enjoy Your Deluxe package... and cruise

dp

Don't drink and exercise,they don't mix.

Using Anthem as an example, It has only 1 running track but has 35 Bars. Cruise ship are obviously not meant for "Exercise" and I did not read anyone on this thread suggesting it ;p

I know there are rumors of an actual gym on board but I never saw it :D

dp

This is a great chance to try new things. Don't feel obligated to drink something just because you ordered it. Wait a few minutes and order something else. I had a couple of cocktails off the menus (once in 270, the other in MIchael's Pub) that were just way too sweet for me and couldn't drink them. I also discovered I don't like Bloody Mary's, they look good, but I didn't care for it. I mostly drank mojitos and cosmopolitans. Not sure if Adventure has the Bionic Bar but that was fun, give it a try when it's not crowded.

This is a great chance to try new things. Don't feel obligated to drink something just because you ordered it. Wait a few minutes and order something else. I had a couple of cocktails off the menus (once in 270, the other in MIchael's Pub) that were just way too sweet for me and couldn't drink them. I also discovered I don't like Bloody Mary's, they look good, but I didn't care for it. I mostly drank mojitos and cosmopolitans. Not sure if Adventure has the Bionic Bar but that was fun, give it a try when it's not crowded.

Next time, Give a Bloody Caesar a try. They are very similar but I know of many people, me included that don't like Bloody Marys at all, but love Bloody Caesars. There are a few threads on CC about this. Not recommended for those on a salt restricted diet.

dp

Using Anthem as an example, It has only 1 running track but has 35 Bars. Cruise ship are obviously not meant for "Exercise" and I did not read anyone on this thread suggesting it ;p

I know there are rumors of an actual gym on board but I never saw it :D

dp

The op said he was 260 pounds and all muscle which said to me he works out in the gym.

The op said he was 260 pounds and all muscle which said to me he works out in the gym.

I am 210 pounds and use the gym machines daily on the ship and reasonably muscled so the op when he said he was all muscle he is obviously a bodybuilder.

I am 210 pounds and use the gym machines daily on the ship and reasonably muscled so the op when he said he was all muscle he is obviously a bodybuilder.

Well, I have six-pack abs.... except they are still in the case.:cool:

dp

Well, I have six-pack abs.... except they are still in the case.:cool:

dp

Mine is more like a quarter barrel.

On a half-serious note find the deck where you can walk completely around the ship and do a couple of laps daily. It's less onerous than the gym and you are allowed to drink as you walk.

There will be menus. One choice is to go down the list.

I have also found that if not busy, the bartenders will custom make drinks. I will ask for something "peachy with vodka" and usually end up with something amazing. Your basic choices will probably be different.

I usually get one drink, one bottle of water.

Please remember you are not allowed to drink and drive the ship.

Just order anything you think you may like and if you don't after a couple of sips leave it and get something else.

That's one of the best things about package try anything ( just do not go over 12/13 limit) if you do not like it just try something else, I would suggest the 12 year old scotch's