The grand and alaska

yags

We will be going on a 10 cruise out of San Francisco to Alaska on the Grand leaving June 25th 2018. I have done my share of cruises and cruise ships but have never been on the Grand or been to Alaska. To those seasoned veterans of both what is the best piece of advice you can give? I am getting excited and want to make this an awesome trip. Thanks.

Alfredo's Pizzeria on Deck 5, next to the wine bar. All they serve is pizza, but you can snag a nice salad from the International Cafe, across the piazza on Deck 5, and walk it in. Don't go there if you are pressed for time. I never saw more than one waiter in there, and he was always running around like crazy. The pizza is good, but I just like the ambiance of the place--including the slow pace. The preferred tables are next to the windows. It's neat to look out at the water.

We took this cruise last September. One of the port highlights was Deckhand Dave's in Juneau--awesome fish tacos. Also, though we very much enjoyed our stop at Icy Strait Point--you may be going there or you may be going to Skagway. We loved Icy Strait Point. We went on a "Bear Search." It was too much fun.

I know you will have a great cruise.

(y)

The best viewing is from the public decks. Move around on Promenade to see all sides. Go to the upper decks for 360° viewing. Pizza at Alfredo's is about 1000% better than pizza at Prego on Lido deck. A great place to read is on the deck above the covered pool.

We’re also taking this cruise in August, YAGs, please let us know how you get on. We’ve started to look at tours we would like to take. I’ll be following the thread with interest.

It’s our first cruise on Grand (only our second on Princess), so it’s good to hear there’s a covered pool for Alaska. Our teens will appreciate the information on the pizzeria ;). Does the IC serve sandwiches and cakes as well as salads?

happy new year :)

just booked cruise on the constellation

happy cruising

john :cool:

Happy New Year to you too :cool:.

Just returned from the Eclipse Christmas & NY holiday sailing - had a great time and it restored my faith in X ;). We are sailing on Princess this summer to Alaska as we were drawn to the itinerary and leaving from SF was an added bonus. Where are you off to on Connie?

We’re also taking this cruise in August, YAGs, please let us know how you get on. We’ve started to look at tours we would like to take. I’ll be following the thread with interest.

It’s our first cruise on Grand (only our second on Princess), so it’s good to hear there’s a covered pool for Alaska. Our teens will appreciate the information on the pizzeria ;). Does the IC serve sandwiches and cakes as well as salads?

Yes. The fare at IC changes according to the time of day. If you want sandwiches there is a breakfast sandwich (think egg McMuffin type of thing). I don't recall other sandwiches at breakfast but I may be wrong. After breakfast there will be maybe 3 choices of sandwich available. You can get them cold or heated in a press. I actually prefer the Cubano sandwich cold.

I have also just had a sandwich there for dinner. A crew member was concerned and wanted to know if there was a problem as I wasn't eating in a dining room or somewhere. I said my wife wasn't feeling well (cold) and was hiding in the cabin for a couple of days and I didn't really need a big dinner. They get so used to people just eating and eating and eating and eating that it surprises them when someone eats lighter.

Yes. The fare at IC changes according to the time of day. If you want sandwiches there is a breakfast sandwich (think egg McMuffin type of thing). I don't recall other sandwiches at breakfast but I may be wrong. After breakfast there will be maybe 3 choices of sandwich available. You can get them cold or heated in a press. I actually prefer the Cubano sandwich cold.

I have also just had a sandwich there for dinner. A crew member was concerned and wanted to know if there was a problem as I wasn't eating in a dining room or somewhere. I said my wife wasn't feeling well (cold) and was hiding in the cabin for a couple of days and I didn't really need a big dinner. They get so used to people just eating and eating and eating and eating that it surprises them when someone eats lighter.

Thank you ;).

That is the same with me. My first on the Grand and I did the Crown last March. ( I have two princess cruises under my belt as well). We have chosen as excursions the Summer Dog Sled camp (Juneau) and the White pass and Yukon railroad in Skagway. The IC serves great sandwiches and desserts and even better designer coffees and teas. Keep me posted on what excursions you are thinking about.

Last May was my first time on the Grand and my first time to Alaska. It was one of the best cruises I have ever taken. It was very relaxing as it was to cold to use the pool (May 28 sailing) so for the first time in 23 years we did things around the ship and not at the pool. Once in the inside passage it was like the ship was not moving the sea was so calm. It was like floating thru air. Scenery was so beautiful. The ship was smaller than the other Princess ships we have been on but for a ship that was built in the late 90's I thought she was in great shape. We had a balcony cabin and it was nice, however the closet was smaller than any closet on any ship we were on in the past. No big deal. We enjoyed the Pizza on deck 5 and the international café which is also on deck 5. I have been posting my princess patters on my new roll call, Grand Princess - May 26, 2018 so you can look at them. I will be posting the rest of them later this week. We also had a whale entertaining us when we were in Juneau and I also posted that on my new roll call so you can see the whale right next to the ship. My whale swam around for about two hours showing off his /her excellent swimming and breaching skills. It was such a delight. and many cruisers were watching. This was around 7:00 - 10:00 PM . I loved this cruise so much we booked it again right after we go home.

Edited by toescat
missed typing a word

Last May was my first time on the Grand and my first time to Alaska. It was one of the best cruises I have ever taken. It was very relaxing as it was to cold to use the pool (May 28 sailing) so for the first time in 23 years we did things around the ship and not at the pool. Once in the inside passage it was like the ship was not moving the sea was so calm. It was like floating thru air. Scenery was so beautiful. The ship was smaller than the other Princess ships we have been on but for a ship that was built in the late 90's I thought she was in great shape. We had a balcony cabin and it was nice, however the closet was smaller than any closet on any ship we were on in the past. No big deal. We enjoyed the Pizza on deck 5 and the international café which is also on deck 5. I have been posting my princess patters on my new roll call, Grand Princess - May 26, 2018 so you can look at them. I will be posting the rest of them later this week. We also had a whale entertaining us when we were in Juneau and I also posted that on my new roll call so you can see the whale right next to the ship. My whale swam around for about two hours showing off his /her excellent swimming and breaching skills. It was such a delight. and many cruisers were watching. This was around 7:00 - 10:00 PM . I loved this cruise so much we booked it again right after we go home.

That trip sounded awesome. Everything I hope mine will be.

I’ve taken a look at the Patters, thanks for posting - I’ll be looking out for the rest when you upload on your new roll call ;). Was the sea quite calm on the way up north? We sail in August and I’m presuming the weather will be nice in SF and then progressively get cooler.

We are so looking forward to seeing all the wildlife again in Alaska. Did you take any tours (private or ship)?

I’ve taken a look at the Patters, thanks for posting - I’ll be looking out for the rest when you upload on your new roll call ;). Was the sea quite calm on the way up north? We sail in August and I’m presuming the weather will be nice in SF and then progressively get cooler.

We are so looking forward to seeing all the wildlife again in Alaska. Did you take any tours (private or ship)?

Having grown up in the San Francisco Peninsula and now living just 90 north I can tell you that weather wise August in SF can be a real crap shoot. Unlike the rest of California July and August can actually be quite chilly in the city by the bay. The reason for this is the high temperatures in the central valley draws in the fog off of the ocean. Septembers tend to warm up before the fall (such as it is) settles in in October. In the summer ALWAYS bring a jacket to San Francisco. Mark Twain once said "The coldest winter I ever Spent was a summer in San Francisco. That part of the northern California coast the water tends to be a bit tortuous. I love it but bring your pills if you are sensitive. The best part is leaving under the Golden Gate Bridge. This will full fill an entry on my bucket list.

Going in May can be tricky out of SF because of fog and wind but the sea's wonderful going both way. We have sailed back to SF from Mexico with 25-30 foot waves before and that was fun but for the most part the sea where at most 3 feet. You definitely knew when you were out of the passage and into the open sea but nothing that really rocked the boat.

Having grown up in the San Francisco Peninsula and now living just 90 north I can tell you that weather wise August in SF can be a real crap shoot. Unlike the rest of California July and August can actually be quite chilly in the city by the bay. The reason for this is the high temperatures in the central valley draws in the fog off of the ocean. Septembers tend to warm up before the fall (such as it is) settles in in October. In the summer ALWAYS bring a jacket to San Francisco. Mark Twain once said "The coldest winter I ever Spent was a summer in San Francisco. That part of the northern California coast the water tends to be a bit tortuous. I love it but bring your pills if you are sensitive. The best part is leaving under the Golden Gate Bridge. This will full fill an entry on my bucket list.

Yep I live in Brentwood and we can be 100 degree's and once we go thru the tunnel into Oakland it can be a 45 degree difference. Burr. We have hosted many exchange students, both 90 day and full year and they are always amazed at how cold San Francisco can be in the summer. I love going under the Golden Gate Bridge. We had the same captain twice on the Princess Dawn who had the song San Francisco open your Golden Gate broadcasting on ship as we sailed toward the bridge and I think most of the passengers sang along. It was spectacular!

Thanks - sounds a little like the summer weather in the UK :D. We take a brolly everywhere :cool:. I wondered if the seas would be a little choppy on our way up. Hopefully, they will be kind to us in August.

We will be going on a 10 cruise out of San Francisco to Alaska on the Grand leaving June 25th 2018. I have done my share of cruises and cruise ships but have never been on the Grand or been to Alaska. To those seasoned veterans of both what is the best piece of advice you can give? I am getting excited and want to make this an awesome trip. Thanks.

Surprised you have not also gotten more comments about the changeable weather in Alaska. Have sailed there twice and also lived in Sitka for a summer.

In one word my advice would be “layers”. Be prepared for it to be warm, or cold, wet or dry and vary. Multiple layers allow you to switch around how you respond to be most comfortable.

As a native San Franciscan the cold rarely affects me but drives DW up the wall so we each wear what works. On one sailing we hardly saw the sun. I kayaked in the rain. On the other it was bright sunshine all the way.

Either way you will love the cruise, just plan for your own comfort

We are also on the June 25 sailing, this is our first time with Princess, should have gone last year to Norway but took Princess up on a Moveover offer . June cant come quick enough.

When we first booked this June 25th Alaskan cruise was last March 2017 on our return from a 9 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess. It seemed so far off. Now only 5 months away I am getting very excited. The good news is that the last 10 months went by in a hurry I am sure the next 5 months will. See you on board!

Yep I live in Brentwood and we can be 100 degree's and once we go thru the tunnel into Oakland it can be a 45 degree difference. Burr. We have hosted many exchange students, both 90 day and full year and they are always amazed at how cold San Francisco can be in the summer. I love going under the Golden Gate Bridge. We had the same captain twice on the Princess Dawn who had the song San Francisco open your Golden Gate broadcasting on ship as we sailed toward the bridge and I think most of the passengers sang along. It was spectacular!

What a great memory. I would really enjoy something like that. Of Course my horrible voice might have an ice burg effect on the ship.

Thanks - sounds a little like the summer weather in the UK :D. We take a brolly everywhere :cool:. I wondered if the seas would be a little choppy on our way up. Hopefully, they will be kind to us in August.

That part of the Northern California Coast is more rugged and rough then the popular Southern California Coast. Like I mentioned in a previous post I tend to enjoy the movement but if you are a little sensitive you may want to engage in your favorite sea sickness pharmaceutical.

• 5 weeks later...