Magnifying makeup mirrors onboard

Epicureangirl

Can anyone share an opinion on how clear and well lit the makeup-mirrors in the stateroom are? I use a Simplehuman mirror at home that has clear, bright light (LED). Some hotel mirrors are very dim, or you have to get close so there’s no distortion. Not sure if I should pack my own?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can anyone share an opinion on how clear and well lit the makeup-mirrors in the stateroom are? I use a Simplehuman mirror at home that has clear, bright light (LED). Some hotel mirrors are very dim, or you have to get close so there’s no distortion. Not sure if I should pack my own?

DW says it's fine, but it's certainly not super-bright. If you have a variable brightness mirror, think "evening" setting.

I have found that they vary from ship to ship and even from cabin to cabin on the same ship. I guess it just depends on what make-up mirrors they have on board when they were installed. Some are two sided with one magnifying side and one normal side; while others are just the magnifying mirror. The latter are the ones that are hard to use and seem to distort the image. Most of the time, I just ignore them. If I need really bright light, I use the bathroom mirror, since the light by the mirror over the desk/dresser is usually not very bright or bacly placed.

We will be on our 4th HAL cruise next week. In all of our previous 3 cabins, there was a makeup mirror mounted and if you turned it around it was magnified. It was always on a desk. I always use a makeup mirror at home and have never considered packing one, but now I'm reading here that they can vary even from cabin to cabin. Yikes!

On the Vista Class ships we have been on the staterooms (regular balcony ones) have all had the mirrors attached via an arm to the wall. While the mirror itself was okay the lighting at the desk was awful. I finally learned to bring my own portable LED light (kind of like a square flashlight) that I got at Harbor Freight that someone here on CC had recommended. From what I've read the situation on the Koningsdam is better but I'm still bringing my own light in March.

I didn’t realize some ships mount the mirror and some have it on the desk. I was counting on at least being able to move it, and definitely not to be monopolizing the use of the bathroom while I get ready. Not sure what the Volendam has, or if they would be replaced during their dry dock last month. I’m also in an interior cabin so need some good quality light. One that mimics daylight (like my home mirror) would be ideal. I’m so used to a 5x magnifying mirror, I don’t think I can do a proper job without one!

Some of the ships only have a two-sided-up mirror that you can put where you want and it has a stand. It's usually in the desk with the hair dryer. I just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I'm finding this more and more on the ships I've been on lately. I have t seen many of the attached ones lately.

I didn’t realize some ships mount the mirror and some have it on the desk. I was counting on at least being able to move it, and definitely not to be monopolizing the use of the bathroom while I get ready. Not sure what the Volendam has, or if they would be replaced during their dry dock last month. I’m also in an interior cabin so need some good quality light. One that mimics daylight (like my home mirror) would be ideal. I’m so used to a 5x magnifying mirror, I don’t think I can do a proper job without one!

We were on the Rotterdam (sister ship) two weeks ago, in a Vista suite. The make-up mirror was mounted on a moveable arm, over the desk. While I don't do make-up, I used it to shave (electric) while my wife was in the shower. It was reversible, regular and magnifying. The magnifying side was frankly scary-huge; I really don't need that kind of detail. More importantly I think, the lighting around the mirror was negligible IMO. It was always dark outside by the time we were getting ready for dinner, so the windows were no help, but the overall desk lighting helped a lot.

We were on the Rotterdam (sister ship) two weeks ago, in a Vista suite. The make-up mirror was mounted on a moveable arm, over the desk. While I don't do make-up, I used it to shave (electric) while my wife was in the shower. It was reversible, regular and magnifying. The magnifying side was frankly scary-huge; I really don't need that kind of detail. More importantly I think, the lighting around the mirror was negligible IMO. It was always dark outside by the time we were getting ready for dinner, so the windows were no help, but the overall desk lighting helped a lot.

That’s so funny — it truly IS scary huge! I got used to doing my makeup with one, seeing every subtle detail (like if my eyelashes stuck together with the mascara). Without using one I feel like I can’t do my eye-make up correctly, or might leave the room with crooked eyeliner or something. For women — a fate worse than death! 😋 I can see why you wouldn’t want to shave with one — you’d see every single follicle and if you nicked yourself it might look like a huge gash. 😂

On the Vista Class ships we have been on the staterooms (regular balcony ones) have all had the mirrors attached via an arm to the wall. While the mirror itself was okay the lighting at the desk was awful. I finally learned to bring my own portable LED light (kind of like a square flashlight) that I got at Harbor Freight that someone here on CC had recommended. From what I've read the situation on the Koningsdam is better but I'm still bringing my own light in March.

I have one of those (similar) lights packed, but hadn’t thought of using it in that way. Great idea, thanks!

We will be on in a Vista Suite on the Amsterdam in September. Is there an outlet where one can plug in their own hairdryer?

We will be on in a Vista Suite on the Amsterdam in September. Is there an outlet where one can plug in their own hairdryer?

Assuming that the cabin layout is the same as the Rotterdam (and it should be), then yes. There is an electrical outlet at the desk, under the desk mirror, and close to the make-up mirror. One North American receptacle and one European receptacle.

Assuming that the cabin layout is the same as the Rotterdam (and it should be), then yes. There is an electrical outlet at the desk, under the desk mirror, and close to the make-up mirror. One North American receptacle and one European receptacle.

One last question: Did the Rotterdam refit upgrade the Vista Suites and, if so, have done away with the old red and gold?

One last question: Did the Rotterdam refit upgrade the Vista Suites and, if so, have done away with the old red and gold?

Sorry, but as a man, I can tell you where all of the electrical outlets are, but even though it's been less than two weeks, I don't have any recollection of the colour scheme in the cabin :D

But it didn't look or feel newly-renovated, as I recall.

This summer on Zuiderdam, we started the cruise with a lighted mirror attached to the moveable arm. One day they gave us a notice saying they would be in our cabin to add extra USB ports. That evening was formal night. Imagine my surprise to be getting ready for dinner, I reached out for the mirror and it was no longer there. I wasn’t very happy at all. There and on the bedside stand were where additional USB ports had been installed. After dinner, the cabin steward had left a “How are we doing?” card on my bed. Well, since I was still a bit irked, I vented and filled it out but then just tossed it on to the vanity realizing that I probably wouldn’t ever send it in. The next day I got a phone call from front desk apologizing for taking my mirror and they offered to reinstall it. I guess the cabin steward saw it and turned it in. I declined their offer but they did deliver a freestanding two sided mirror for the cabin.

This was right before dry dock and I think they were trying to get various tasks done (a lot of balcony work our side) before dry dock because out of our 12 day cruise they asked for access to our balcony cabin on 6 out of the 12 days. We allowed it the first 5 times but turned them down the 6th time.....it was way too inconvenient because they were using our cabin as an access route for all the workers for that section of the balconies from 9am to 5pm. One day they tracked in lots of dust and paint chips. I actually left an apology note to our cabin steward because I didn’t want him to think we had made the mess. Additionally at 8 am one morning, I was opening up our drapes to find a worker already on our balcony. Needless to say by the end of the cruise we were unhappy that we had been so accommodating. Never again will allow so much access to our cabin or balcony.

Just did a cruise on the Veendam. I had two mirrors! One was the standard, attached to an arm on the desk one, that I've grown used to. Imagine my surprise when one day a second mirror appeared-this one in a blue bag embroidered "makeup mirror" just like the hair dryer bag. I don't know if this means the attached to the desk one will eventually disappear? I usually apply makeup in the bathroom and have never really used the makeup mirror. Also just some additional info-my daughters had a HAL power strip in their cabin so I asked and received one also. That is really helpful with all the electronics needing to be plugged in. I wonder if the Veendam will ever get extra USB ports?

St. Louis Sal

Just did a cruise on the Veendam. I had two mirrors! One was the standard, attached to an arm on the desk one, that I've grown used to. Imagine my surprise when one day a second mirror appeared-this one in a blue bag embroidered "makeup mirror" just like the hair dryer bag. I don't know if this means the attached to the desk one will eventually disappear? I usually apply makeup in the bathroom and have never really used the makeup mirror. Also just some additional info-my daughters had a HAL power strip in their cabin so I asked and received one also. That is really helpful with all the electronics needing to be plugged in. I wonder if the Veendam will ever get extra USB ports?

St. Louis Sal

Yes, the new makeup mirror we got was in the blue embroidered HAL bag that matches the hair dryer bag. Guess they delivered your new one before they got around to taking out the old lighted one.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update now I’m back — so glad to have had my mirror with me this trip. Did have a window but the room lighting is so dim, as was the lighting on the mirror they provided in the cabin. Absolutely worth the hassle and also had the benefit of using it in the hotels too.