New Night Room Service Fee

sunonfire

A Fee for Room Service is absurd in Cruising.

The inclusion of most things were phenominal compared to now, A.D. 2018.

Tabelcloths are now Rarer than Poor Services aboard..

We cruisers pay well, tip well for services rendered well.

How may know NCL now has the audacity of calling Tips FEES?

You should start your own cruise line then. You can offer free room service and unlimited tableclothes. You'll become a billionaire in hours.

Deli until 11PM, and there is a late night snacks buffet. Typically hot dogs, grilled cheese & ham sandwiches, chips, and buffalo chicken sandwiches from 11:30 until I believe 12:30AM, could be 1:30AM, can't remember the end time.

Pizza and soft serve ice cream are 24/7, that's it after the buffet and deli close.

Loss of room service is a big disappointment to me, but Carnival won't go back on it - all their competitors have already done it (or even gone further - RCCL charges for all room service, not just late night) so it is what it is.

Ok excellent. I was on the Glory last December and never noticed a late night buffet or Deli open. I will have to keep a better eye next time. Thanks!

Ok excellent. I was on the Glory last December and never noticed a late night buffet or Deli open. I will have to keep a better eye next time. Thanks!

I'm pretty positive the late night snacks are new. They weren't there on my cruise last September, but this May, they were.

You obviously wouldn't have heard about it otherwise on here, because we only talk about the "cutbacks". Never about what is new.

Royal now charges $7.95 plus 18% gratuity for all room service except continental breakfast.

If you stay in a Grand Suite or above on RCCL room service is still complimentary. If the main dining room is open you can also order off the main dining room menu. They put the MDR menus in the folder in your cabin every morning.

I'm pretty positive the late night snacks are new. They weren't there on my cruise last September, but this May, they were.

You obviously wouldn't have heard about it otherwise on here, because we only talk about the "cutbacks". Never about what is new.

I remember the late night snack buffet on my first Fantasy cruise in 2014. Back then it was hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, and chili. When Guy's came in they swapped out hamburgers for grilled ham and cheese (which are delicious) and buffalo chicken sandwiches and potato chips.

Either way, it is a perfect late night meal if a little heavy, which is not a bad thing I guess!

You could be on to something there! That's Profitmaking 101 - create a problem, then offer a solution to eliminate the problem $$+

Sounds like they have been learning from government.

Raise the price as necessary for the same product instead of diluting the existing product with slow price changes.

But why should I pay more so that you can get room service included? I've never used it, and never will. So I don't want it included. Those who do use it should pay.

But why should I pay more so that you can get room service included? I've never used it, and never will. So I don't want it included. Those who do use it should pay.

That is the business model that mass-market cruising is going to I fear - less like an "all inclusive resort" and more like any other vacation - the only difference being you get to visit other countries.

I just wonder how far they'll take it. Will there come a day where the dining room is no longer included in your fare? How about the comedy club, will there be a cover charge and/or drink minimum?

It is great to say what is improved, so few do.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. As in the equites markets your able to BUY LONG and/or BUY SHORT.

So you don't want an all inclusive cruise experience. Then why do you cruise? Why not do a pay-as-you-go vacation?

Maybe you don't like to go to the comedy club. Why should your cruise price include admission to the comedy club? Maybe you don't care about sea day brunch. Surely you should not have to pay for that! Trivia? Pfft. If you want to play, you pay. Marriage show, dive in movies, you gotta pay!! The evening shows in the main theater? Do you want to have to pay for admission?

I have never gone to trivia or a dive in movie. So why should I have to pay the cost of hosting those events? Why would you expect something for "free" on a cruise?! What about the water slides and pools? I don't often use that, so "I don't want it included. Those who do use it should pay." I never, ever use the gym. So why should I have to pay for that? But my husband has run on a treadmill in the gym occasionally. Should he be required to pay a per-use fee for this?

Maybe you have a different expectation for what a cruise includes than I do. Personally, I cruise because I enjoy the idea that most services and entertainment are included. I know I will pay for premium restaurants, alcoholic beverages and spa experiences, but otherwise I like the fact that most onboard services -- including room service -- are included.

I guess you disagree. If you want everything to be fee-based, then I guess that is your preference and maybe you should look for a fee-based vacation experience. But personally, I am glad that I can still take a cruise vacation at a flat rate that includes many onboard entertainment, pool, gym, dining and other experiences built into the price.

Surely you get my point by now. If you don't want to pay for room service, and think that only those who use that service should have to pay for it, then how does this apply to all the other services that are provided on board? Do you want to have to pay for each and every service individually every time you use them? Seems to me that this defeats the whole purpose of cruising.

So you don't want an all inclusive cruise experience. Then why do you cruise? Why not do a pay-as-you-go vacation?

Maybe you don't like to go to the comedy club. Why should your cruise price include admission to the comedy club? Maybe you don't care about sea day brunch. Surely you should not have to pay for that! Trivia? Pfft. If you want to play, you pay. Marriage show, dive in movies, you gotta pay!! The evening shows in the main theater? Do you want to have to pay for admission?

I have never gone to trivia or a dive in movie. So why should I have to pay the cost of hosting those events? Why would you expect something for "free" on a cruise?! What about the water slides and pools? I don't often use that, so "I don't want it included. Those who do use it should pay." I never, ever use the gym. So why should I have to pay for that? But my husband has run on a treadmill in the gym occasionally. Should he be required to pay a per-use fee for this?

Maybe you have a different expectation for what a cruise includes than I do. Personally, I cruise because I enjoy the idea that most services and entertainment are included. I know I will pay for premium restaurants, alcoholic beverages and spa experiences, but otherwise I like the fact that most onboard services -- including room service -- are included.

I guess you disagree. If you want everything to be fee-based, then I guess that is your preference and maybe you should look for a fee-based vacation experience. But personally, I am glad that I can still take a cruise vacation at a flat rate that includes many onboard entertainment, pool, gym, dining and other experiences built into the price.

Surely you get my point by now. If you don't want to pay for room service, and think that only those who use that service should have to pay for it, then how does this apply to all the other services that are provided on board? Do you want to have to pay for each and every service individually every time you use them? Seems to me that this defeats the whole purpose of cruising.

The difference between late-night room service and the things you mention is that the particular service is being provided for you ONLY. A staff member is dedicated to providing this service to ONE cabin. It is a very expensive service in terms of personnel.

At some point, there is a cutoff as to what is included, and what is not. That line, will apparently never make everyone happy. While I wouldn't mind more things being "included," Carnival is in a good spot. You can go on a cruise and not *have* to spend money on anything. You can dine, relax, be entertained, etc all for no additional cost.

Room service is rarely anything I come to expect for free. It almost always comes at a premium price. Imagine the staff needed if everyone on the boat had every meal delivered to them. Is it a cost we're all willing to pay? Even with all of this said, you can still get included room service until 10 pm. After that, it's about $5 on average. That's not breaking the bank.

At some point, there is a cutoff as to what is included, and what is not. That line, will apparently never make everyone happy. While I wouldn't mind more things being "included," Carnival is in a good spot. You can go on a cruise and not *have* to spend money on anything. You can dine, relax, be entertained, etc all for no additional cost.

Room service is rarely anything I come to expect for free. It almost always comes at a premium price. Imagine the staff needed if everyone on the boat had every meal delivered to them. Is it a cost we're all willing to pay? Even with all of this said, you can still get included room service until 10 pm. After that, it's about $5 on average. That's not breaking the bank.

I disagree that it "almost always" comes at a premium price. I haven't cruised lots of different lines, but in the past two years I have cruised on Celebrity and Paul Gauguin, and both of those included room service -- including hot dishes, not just sandwiches and continental breakfast -- at no extra charge. Carnival in the past also included hot and cold foods at no extra charge.

My point is that cruising is more or less "all inclusive." Or at least it used to be. And this is one reason I love cruising. However, I am seeing that more and more things are now fee-based. I don't use all of the services on every ship. But I do like not having to worry about every dollar I am spending here and there for every possible service. I'm sorry to see that Carnival is going to more fee based services with specialty dining, room service charges, charges for some activities such as Thrill Theater, etc.

I disagree that it "almost always" comes at a premium price. I haven't cruised lots of different lines, but in the past two years I have cruised on Celebrity and Paul Gauguin, and both of those included room service -- including hot dishes, not just sandwiches and continental breakfast -- at no extra charge. Carnival in the past also included hot and cold foods at no extra charge.

My point is that cruising is more or less "all inclusive." Or at least it used to be. And this is one reason I love cruising. However, I am seeing that more and more things are now fee-based. I don't use all of the services on every ship. But I do like not having to worry about every dollar I am spending here and there for every possible service. I'm sorry to see that Carnival is going to more fee based services with specialty dining, room service charges, charges for some activities such as Thrill Theater, etc.

If I paid Celebrity & Paul Gauguin prices, I too would expect free room service - however, to expect CCL to provide the same amenities as those high-end cruise lines while charging far less, is a bit unreasonable.

People who cruise CCL or other mass-market lines should not expect a luxury experience. These lines offer a reasonable experience at a reasonable cost. All businesses have to either raise prices or cut back as the cost of items increase. So, yes things change as you should expect them to. Charging for late night room service, the Thrill Theater, the Steakhouse, etc helps to keep cruise prices lower for those who choose not to use those services.

If someone wants a true all-inclusive cruise, there are those lines that provide that service at a much higher price. Either way, you are paying for the services.