#3....on the Seaside....misc.

Shippy

I do not care much about theme nights but I know they are important to some.

The first formal night was supposed to be on Sunday but they forgot to put in the daily program so the only people dressed up were the waiters. They said they would not reschedule it but there would be one later this week.

Tonight when we went to go to dinner, we saw all the waiters dressed up for Italian night. They forgot to put it in the daily program. My husband was not happy as he had a special shirt for Italian night so he ran back to the cabin and changed. I think he was the only one on the ship besides the waiters in theme.

Well this is a new one on me....

Bought 2 liters of Tortuga flavored rums in grand cayman yesterday, Tuesday, and it was delivered to our cabin last night.

We do not dock until Saturday. Perhaps rules have changed ?

Although I do have some negative things to say about the Seaside, they are really because I have so many cruises to compare to. A new cruiser probably would not notice such things.

I still think cruising in general is definitely your best bang for the buck especially MSC. No other line can compare to the Yacht club experience for the price.

I have another YC1 held for September through an Internet agency

$1900.pp all gratuities prepaid and $250. On board credit. That might seem high to some but back out the gratuitie and OBC. Now back out those drink packages which are very expensive. YC now allows you to have free drinks throughout the ship. We even could order wine in a specialty restaurant.

Another perk we discovered on this cruise is free unlimited gelato at the Vendi chocolate area.

I know drinks aren't included in specialty restaurants, but I just assumed that if you were in the YC that didn't apply since you had the beverages included. When you say you could even order wine, do you know if you could also order a cocktail (and then wine:confused:).

I know drinks aren't included in specialty restaurants, but I just assumed that if you were in the YC that didn't apply since you had the beverages included. When you say you could even order wine, do you know if you could also order a cocktail (and then wine:confused:).

Yes, you can order just like if you had bought the all inclusive beverage package.

This is a fairly new perk. We did the YC on Divina several times when any kind of specialty/alcohol drink was limited to the YC area. It is great that they changed it to shipwide.

Although I do have some negative things to say about the Seaside, they are really because I have so many cruises to compare to. A new cruiser probably would not notice such things.

I still think cruising in general is definitely your best bang for the buck especially MSC. No other line can compare to the Yacht club experience for the price.

I have another YC1 held for September through an Internet agency

$1900.pp all gratuities prepaid and $250. On board credit. That might seem high to some but back out the gratuitie and OBC. Now back out those drink packages which are very expensive. YC now allows you to have free drinks throughout the ship. We even could order wine in a specialty restaurant.

Another perk we discovered on this cruise is free unlimited gelato at the Vendi chocolate area.

I definitely agree with you. I like to take the family on vacation at least 2 to 3 times a year, and every year has gotten more and more expensive. I have found that mixing in cruises really does allow for the most "bang for the buck" as you say. Some cruises are obviously more expensive that others, and as I pay more, I expect more. I might be in the minority here, but as a realist I have a certain level of expectations that I feel match what I paid for our upcoming cruise on the Seaside. I read people stating comparisons to RC, Celebrity, and Disney. I don't look at that as apples to apples. If I had RC or Disney expectations, I would count on spending another 2000$ -3000$.

For spring break, I am getting the Aurea double balcony with an upgrade to the deluxe drink package. I can't even come remotely close to sniffing what I paid for that package on anything for my dates/departure ports.

I do have expectations. I will be sad if MSC does not meet those expectations, but I am realistic and if MSC wants to be a budget cruiseline that gives me an option to throw in an extra vacation here and there, fine by me.

Well this is a new one on me....

Bought 2 liters of Tortuga flavored rums in grand cayman yesterday, Tuesday, and it was delivered to our cabin last night.

We do not dock until Saturday. Perhaps rules have changed ?

Perhaps the rules were only in place to make cruisers buy drinks from the cruise line. Since you are YC and have free drinks, they probably could care less if you drink your own rum.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Perhaps the rules were only in place to make cruisers buy drinks from the cruise line. Since you are YC and have free drinks, they probably could care less if you drink your own rum.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

That’s a good point. I never thought of that angle. I was betting on disorganized with no place to store the bottles lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

......but I am realistic and if MSC wants to be a budget cruiseline that gives me an option to throw in an extra vacation here and there, fine by me.

My sentiments exactly! The problem comes in when MSc (or diehard fans) over hype the product. MSc is a great value, but Expectation alignment is key.

I have not yet been on MSC, but from everything I have read, the main cabins seem to be similar to a Carnival-type experience. The YC seems to be nicer than a Celebrity non-suite experience, but then that is combined with the more 'Carnival' experience in the main parts of the ship.

Is that about right?

I have not yet been on MSC, but from everything I have read, the main cabins seem to be similar to a Carnival-type experience. The YC seems to be nicer than a Celebrity non-suite experience, but then that is combined with the more 'Carnival' experience in the main parts of the ship.

Is that about right?

Wow.... I need you to further clarify/define what you consider a Carnival experience. Carnival is one of the best cruiselines when it comes to service.... Also they have some of the largest cabins in the industry....I'm not hearing that from MSC right now....So why is Carnival being used as the measuring stick from what I presume means a budget experience????

Is that about right?

Too long since I’ve personally been on carnival to make a relevant comparison. MSc has its own niche. It’s refined, ships are beautiful, cost is right. But it’s different. The staff is more reserved, the customer definitely is not always right, and MSc does things their own way with very little in the way of apologies. Go with the flow, expect some hickups, and enjoy the coin left in your pocket. I personally wouldn’t recommend MSc for a monumental celebration, but for those of us who travel several times a year anyway, the product is solid enough.

Too long since I’ve personally been on carnival to make a relevant comparison. MSc has its own niche. It’s refined, ships are beautiful, cost is right. But it’s different. The staff is more reserved, the customer definitely is not always right, and MSc does things their own way with very little in the way of apologies. Go with the flow, expect some hickups, and enjoy the coin left in your pocket. I personally wouldn’t recommend MSc for a monumental celebration, but for those of us who travel several times a year anyway, the product is solid enough.

That is a very good analogy.

We were long time NCL cruisers but were are from the UK. We like refined, we dress for dinner, we don't like overfamiliarity from the staff, we don't like going out at night and seeing people in shorts, flip flops and fanny packs.

And this is what NCL gave us, so we have decided to try MSC to see if it fits us better.

We were long time NCL cruisers but were are from the UK. We like refined, we dress for dinner, we don't like overfamiliarity from the staff, we don't like going out at night and seeing people in shorts, flip flops and fanny packs.

And this is what NCL gave us, so we have decided to try MSC to see if it fits us better.

Sounds like a great fit! Enjoy :)

Ya that is strange indeed

We have walked on with rum, beer, and sodas at each port this week and no one has taken anything! I watched them stare at the scanners each time.

Everyone is different and has different expectations and reasons for travelling. I'm from cold Canada and I head down to the Caribbean for a cruise to get a break from the winter, enjoy the sun and hang out on the beach. I'm also a young cruiser looking for an easy going trip. The last that I want to be doing is packing my button down shirts and dress pants and hanging out on the ship in that stuff. I wear that to the office and when I'm on vacation in the sun I'm always wearing golf shorts and a polo.

Is that about right?

The YC is far, far, nicer than even a suite experience on X!! The 2 don't compare. I'm speaking from experience.

I don't know what you mean about "the main cabins seem to be similar to Carnival-type experience". The "experience" on MSC (of which you have no experience) is nothing like Carnival (I have experience of both). The "experience" that people have in their cabins is a different matter entirely. :o

The YC is far, far, nicer than even a suite experience on X!! The 2 don't compare. I'm speaking from experience.

We are definitely looking forward to our MSC YC experience! We have enjoyed X very much in the past (although we have only sailed in concierge cabins, not true suites).

The "experience" that people have in their cabins is a different matter entirely. :o

Fair enough! ;)