is a middle name required on the booking?

shof515

i cruise on carnival and norwegian, when i booked my cruises i just put first and last name. My passport has my first middle and last name. I never had any problems having first and last name on cruise booking and using my passport. When i booked my princess cruise, i put in my middle initial. Will this be a problem? Is Princess that strict will having the full name on the passport match on the cruise booking unlike Norwegian and Carnival?

for my cabin mate, i put the middle initial too. Their passport only has a first and last name. Will this be a problem too, should i call up princess to remove it?

I am driving to port and driving back home, i am not flying.

i cruise on carnival and norwegian, when i booked my cruises i just put first and last name. My passport has my first middle and last name. I never had any problems having first and last name on cruise booking and using my passport. When i booked my princess cruise, i put in my middle initial. Will this be a problem? Is Princess that strict will having the full name on the passport match on the cruise booking unlike Norwegian and Carnival?

for my cabin mate, i put the middle initial too. Their passport only has a first and last name. Will this be a problem too, should i call up princess to remove it?

I am driving to port and driving back home, i am not flying.

I really don't know. But my TA all ways put my full name (first, middle and last name) on my booking.

I guess it doesn't hurt to put your full name down, then you would not have to worry.

I really don't know. But my TA all ways put my full name (first, middle and last name) on my booking.

I guess it doesn't hurt to put your full name down, then you would not have to worry.

So true. In fact, just put your name, as it appears on your passport, IF you have one and use it as identification. That way, as the saying goes, 'You'll have NO worries, mate':D

Mac

So true. In fact, just put your name, as it appears on your passport, IF you have one and use it as identification. That way, as the saying goes, 'You'll have NO worries, mate':D

Mac

Very true then you'll have no worries.

.. but we have been told by airlines, cruise lines, travel companies that just the first and last name need to match passport or ID. Often depends on who is issuing the ticket if they include your middle name. It would help should there be another passenger with the same first and last name.

Edited by BJS

It’s not Princess but the TSA. The ship’s manifest is submitted to the TSA which reviews it and matches names against terror watch lists, criminal lists, wanted lists, etc. It’s not unusual for someone to take a cruise and be met by the FBI as they disembark. It’s no extra work to put my middle name in my Personalizer so it matches my passport. If yours is the same as someone on one of the watch lists, I’d sure want to put my middle name on the booking and Personalizer.

I really don't understand why this would be an issue. Fill our your name as it shows on the passport. Is this difficult for some reason? I am genuinely confused as to why the question would come up.

• Like 1

I really don't understand why this would be an issue. Fill our your name as it shows on the passport. Is this difficult for some reason? I am genuinely confused as to why the question would come up.

If your name is Harry Smith, it doesn't seem like a problem. But if your middle name is Peter, there might be an issue. :cool:

Same here!

Why would anyone not use the complete name that is on their passport when booking a cruise?

Howard

Well my situation is odd. I do use my middle initial in "real life" like bank accounts.

But my passport on renewal several years ago dropped the middle name for some reason. (I did not sak it to be dropped) And my drivers license is from TX, which uses maiden name not middle name on it. (not by my choice)

That being said, I have sailed on Princess with one middle initial on my reservation, a different one on my license, and none on my passport.

Lil

My passport has my first, full middle, and last names.

My Captain's Circle account does as well.

But when I go to make an online booking it only auto-fills the first and last names. Which is what has always ever appeared on my Cruise Card.

In the section of the Cruise Personalizer where you enter your ID information (passport, or other if on a closed-loop USA cruise) there is a line to re-enter your name exactly how it appears on your ID. That is where it counts. Don't worry about what is on your booking confirmation unless it is egregiously incorrect such as last name spelled or formatted incorrectly.

So no need to chide the OP for not getting the initial booking exactly right. (Trust me, I spent years beating my head against the wall trying to convince couples who got married at the end of Decemer, and single moms who changed their kids' last names from their fathers' to her maiden name, that until thier SS cards are reissued that their tax returns have to show the original name. So something as simple as having all international travel bolokings exactly match the passport ain't worth getting agrravated over)

• Thanks 1

I have my 3 names on my passport, I travel multiple times during the year, flights and cruises.

I can't recall the last time I saw a requirement for middle name. Air line bookings and cruise booking only asked for family name and forename. None asked for middle name.

I recently applied for my ESTA and I wasn't asked for middle name. There was no where for me to put my name.

I've also called the cruise line before and asked about my middle name and they told me it didn't matter as long as my first/last matched my passport.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I am not sure what the issue is. Fill out your name to match your passport. I happen to have two middle names. I provide the first two plus my last name simply because there are not enough fields to provide my full name. I have never had an issue.

i NEVER ever use my middle name. it is only on my passport and birth certificate. I only use my first and last name for everything in my everyday life.

• 4 years later...

I find it so aggravating when people say, "I'm not sure what the issue is just ___." As if there are no possibilities of alternate situations that would warrant someone asking. In my situation, I booked a cruise for my friend and I. She is traveling with an enhanced license that states her first name then, since she has 2 middle names, the first middle name and the first letter (only) of her second name. The cruise booking agent thought it best then just to use her first and last name because it was so rare. That said, for the folks who always quip back, "Just get a passport," it isn't always an option. I am not her keeper and can't make her get one. So, there are many situations that don't fit "Just book under the name on your ID or passport."

• Like 1

For some reason only Princess had my first middle name on my account.  So when I booked through them on EZ Air my first and middle name came together as one long first name.  My passport and United Airlines only have one first name so in order to prevent any problems I asked Princess to remove my middle name.