Temporary id with picture

deezjay76

You are going to foreign countries you probably need a passport

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is not correct.

Yes it is advisable to have a passport....but people who are US citizens, traveling on a closed loop cruise, can travel with a certified birth certificate and photo ID.

To the OP....I would call the cruise line to ask if that ID is acceptable.

Have a great cruise!!

This is not correct.

Yes it is advisable to have a passport....but people who are US citizens, traveling on a closed loop cruise, can travel with a certified birth certificate and photo ID. In this case, the photo ID may not be acceptable. It the real ID was lostt and OP has a 'paper ' temporary replacement.

Have a great cruise!!

Many of us are uneasy accepting 'answers' from curise line telephone reps for important issues. . Call four and you may get four different answers. they do not always knnow ab out what they speak IMO

Many of us are uneasy accepting 'answers' from curise line telephone reps for important issues. . Call four and you may get four different answers. they do not always knnow ab out what they speak IMO

You do have a valid point....;)

You are going to foreign countries you probably need a passport

On a closed loop cruise OP only needs proof of citizenship and a photo ID: typically a birth certificate and a drivers license.

What is a “temporary id with picture”? Did he make it himself = NO GOOD; is it state-issued = OK.

He still needs proof of citizenship.

This is not correct.

Yes it is advisable to have a passport....but people who are US citizens, traveling on a closed loop cruise, can travel with a certified birth certificate and photo ID.

Have a great cruise!!

And your statement is "almost correct" except that you have forgotten that quite a few cruise lines (in fact, most premium/luxury luxury lines) require that all passengers on all itineraries must produce a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And your statement is "almost correct" except that you have forgotten that quite a few cruise lines (in fact, most premium/luxury luxury lines) require that all passengers on all itineraries must produce a passport.

However, OP said they are sailing Carnival. Carnival is not one of the "deluxe/premium" cruise lines that demands a passport for all cruises.

However, OP said they are sailing Carnival. Carnival is not one of the "deluxe/premium" cruise lines that demands a passport for all cruises.

Doesn't change the fact that some new cruisers will read the "closed loop" comment as written and easily believe that it applies to all cruise lines.

Don’t argue.

You know for a fact that no matter what you say, someone will always come back with a response that is “more” correct than yours. Just let them have their little self gratification tickle.

You were 100% correct with your original response.

Don’t argue.

You know for a fact that no matter what you say, someone will always come back with a response that is “more” correct than yours. Just let them have their little self gratification tickle.

But not in this case.

OP asked a question pertaining to his specific situation and included cruise line and itinerary. The response wasn’t “more correct” but perfectly acceptable in this case.

That “little self gratification tickle” comment was awfully snarky, though

Edited by Herfnerd

Don’t argue.

Indeed, :)

Please call the cruise line.

I know that when we get a new License in Texas the id we are given is a xerox copy on paper so I am not sure if this will work for you.

Keith

Many have reported on this site that it was acceptable. The requirement is a government-issued photo ID. The piece of paper given out in Texas is exactly that as it has the same photo printed on there as the card will have. There are no requirements that it be issued in any particular form. Some states don't have photos on their temporary licenses, and they would not be acceptable.

That being said....I would be nervous about the guy at the counter not seeing my impeccable logic and saying, "sorry."

In Illinois we get a temp license also and then the permanent one in the mail. It has your picture on it too, so it must be similar to TX. I believe I was told at the DMV that it would be accepted by the TSA so if they take it there’s a chance you could use it on the ship. As an acceptable ID at a foreign port, I’m not so sure about that.