How can I connect my Carnival VIFP "points" to the HAL mariner program

Sun&Sand52

Have never sailed on Holland America before, but am considering sailing on the Koningsdam in February. Our cruise line of choice for the past sailings has been Celebrity (Aqua Class) but thought it might be "refreshing" to take a different line for a change. Hope I made the right choice!! Change does not come easy to me ;p

Was wondering how to link up my Carnival VIFP sailing points from a past cruise to the Holland America mariner program? Not sure how to do this at all. Thanks for any help!

Your points from Carnival or any other Carnival Corporation cruise line will not count towards HAL "days".

Just have your TA tell HAL you have sailed on Carnival and you will be given a Mariner number and your ID card will show that you are 1 star mariner. And you should be invited to the Mariner brunch held near the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
52 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

Can you get a past guest rate for a HAL cruise as a Carnival VIFP past guest? We have 9 Carnival cruises but want to try HAL for first time. How do I get a past guest rate on HAL....or can I?

I called HAL and we can't get past guest deals. 

Here is your deal: own 100 shares of Carnival Corporation stock. You get on-board-credit (you have to show proof of ownership) based on the length of the cruise. Currently that stock is paying $2.00/share in dividends. $200/year in your pocket AND you get OBC. Can't beat that. Must be with Carnival, Costa, Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard, Aida & P&O.

Jim

Sorry, I have to scratch my head each time someone says buy 100 shares of stock. I can tie up $5200. in stock or I can belong to that big box store and get much higher refunds for each HAL cruise (or any other cruise line) I take for just the membership cost of about $100 per year.

2 hours ago, twodjs said:

Sorry, I have to scratch my head each time someone says buy 100 shares of stock. I can tie up $5200. in stock or I can belong to that big box store and get much higher refunds for each HAL cruise (or any other cruise line) I take for just the membership cost of about $100 per year.

Or you can do both.

If you are investing to begin with, holding Carnival Corporation shares might not be the best investment out there, but the OBC is a non-taxable benefit that you need to factor into your calculations.

• Like 1

It depends on how often someone cruises.  At one point, we were taking 4-5 cruises per year on HA, two of them more than 14 days.  That means we got $700 onboard credit each year (assuming we only do 4 cruises).  At present, we take only 3 cruises a year, so we're only getting $300 onboard credit (assuming none of those cruises are over 14 days).  We've owned the stock for 8 years, and we paid much less than $5200 at the time, of course.  This investment has more than paid for itself over the years.  If someone is only cruising with a Carnival brand once a year, then, no, it's probably not the wisest financial decision unless the investor is hoping the stock skyrockets and he/she can sell to make a tidy profit later.  Since we also book with a big box agency that offers onboard credit and other deals, we feel we've done well.  There have been some cruises where we didn't spend a dime of our money onboard, as we had so much credit.

CCL is not a bad investment in its own right but for frequent cruisers the extra tax-free dividend certainly makes it worthwhile. We have used it at least yearly for the past 5 years and will use it for many more. CCL owns enough lines that there is a lot of choice.  For the person who will only take the occasional cruise it probably isn’t worth it but if you cruise annually or more it is worthwhile. All of this, of course, depends on your available funds.  

9 hours ago, laumicmah said:

I called HAL and we can't get past guest deals. 

HAL doesn't have the kind of past guest offers that Carnival does. They have offers if you just got back from a cruise, typically fare/offer code ZPM, but there's not a whole lot of discount for being a past guest beyond that.