front of the boat room

dengirl69

i am curious how many would say that the front of the boat you feel more impact and can get more nauseated? room u4 to be exact. the reason for question is the lady at carnival told me at time of booking that some people say they get more motion sickness that close to the front..

i am curious how many would say that the front of the boat you feel more impact and can get more nauseated? room u4 to be exact. the reason for question is the lady at carnival told me at time of booking that some people say they get more motion sickness that close to the front..

When I started cruising in 2003 I booked a few 1A forward portholes on Carnival's oldest and smallest ships. There is certainly more motion, up and down as well as side to side, in the forward prow that midship; however I enjoyed it and I'm not susceptible to sea sickness.

What bothered me more was the thrusters used during early morning dockings, I didn't need an alarm to wake up. I also had some 15' waves hit the ship sideways with an incredibly loud thud and physical shaking that jarred the cabin.

Yes, it's true. Also, the higher up you are the more motion you'll feel. Mid ship low down will be the least motion.

I see people trying wrist bands, patches, and all these things. None of them are all that great. Dramamine has too many side effects.

BONINE is the best IMHO. Safe enough for pregnant women. One pill every 24 hours, zero side effects. It's also the only medication that will still work after you're already sea sick.

Motion maybe, but waves hitting the front of the boat in anything but calm seas, you will definitely feel and hear more. We tried a deck 6 on the Magic in front, $440. Total for 2 for 7 days, a great deal, but the first 2 days were even upsetting for me, and I never get seasick.:o

We decided we'd stick to balconies in the middle of the ship. :confused:

Definitely a lot more movement. I enjoy the front of the boat rooms, but if you have anyone prone to seasickness, I would avoid them. We had a dead center ocean view on deck 4 on the Paradise last month and the boat almost seemed to not move at all at sea, so we walked to the far front on the same deck and there was considerable up and down movement, it was kind of amazing the difference.

Physics dictates that the further you are from midships, and the higher up you are, the more movement you will feel - remember the pendulum demonstrations from high school science.

If you want the absolute least movement possible, book a stateroom on the lowest deck possible, and as close to midships as possible.

Just stayed in a forward cabin on deck 11 on the Magic. I definitely felt more movement than I remember on my last cruise (which was deck 8 mid ship). For the most part, it was a gentle rocking sensation, which only bothered me one night after too much Tequila. The one annoying thing was this crazy shuddering that felt like it was coming right up from the bottom. Not sure what that was, but it was waking me up throughout the night. I'd stay forward again - none of this was a deal breaker. I'm a horrible sleeper anyway.

Being up front, you can feel the bow of the ship breaking the waves. This is a constant shuddering that you feel as well as the up/down and side-to-side motion. And if the ship has to drop its anchor when porting, that will create a very loud noise.

We've experienced this enough to know that we stay away from cabins up front.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

We may be in the minority, but we always stay as close to the front as possible, either porthole or 4J cabins. We've never had an issue, maybe it's because we don't have anything to compare it to?

Agree we always enjoy the front of the ship and never have issues....we did back last time on 2nd floor and you could definitely hear more noise especially when turning

DH and I love small ships and we love portholes, and that means that we are in the front of the ship. Thinking that the Riviera is at the bottom, and that we would feel less motion, we sailed in R2 through tropical storm Sean, with 20 foot waves pounding the ship, and we went UP AND DOWN all the first night, clinging to our mattress so we wouldn't bounce out of bed. We did not get sea sick, and the next 4 nights we slept like babies in a rocker.

Adding alcohol to any cruise, makes for more motion, and on that trip, with a delayed departure, Jacksonville, and we didn't leave until 11 p.m.,- the next day, there were very few attendees to breakfast, no one showed to the muster (they don't do next day musters after the Costa debacle) except a few, people puking every where for two days, and since then, we have always chosen the front of the ship. Now we do Empress deck if we can, but next years cruise will be on the upper. This way we save you all from having to book in the front and getting sea sick.;p

I was told by one of the ship’s officers that, when there are rough seas, you feel it the most in the front, the second most in the aft and the least mid ship. He used his hand to demonstrate. It made sense to me. With that being said, I have still been unable to give up my love of aft cabins. The wake is just so calming for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely a lot more movement. I enjoy the front of the boat rooms, but if you have anyone prone to seasickness, I would avoid them. We had a dead center ocean view on deck 4 on the Paradise last month and the boat almost seemed to not move at all at sea, so we walked to the far front on the same deck and there was considerable up and down movement, it was kind of amazing the difference.
I am to be in R137 in 16 days. Were you close to that room? And how was the overall condition of the ship. Thanks