"The King and I" - 21 Days on Koningsdam

Vict0riann

I thought the Lido Market was well done. The stations were far enough apart that the lineups didn't get confused and most people behaved themselves[emoji56]. The chairs were very heavy but there were also benches if you wanted. We never found it too crowded. The carpets were dirty, but it must be so difficult to keep them clean, with people milling about and spilling food.

45d10bf27e2478e17273a8754122a98b.jpg

d6b5e3d2192ae3851924d6f34ef0a3ac.jpg

eb5e64a227ecbf4ad23e2c80fcbd5301.jpg

And Canaletto - we did eat there a couple of times, no more "gondolier " uniforms, the food was the same as always. No more branzino either, that is in the Sel de Mer, I forget what fish they had, but I preferred when they had the branzino.

5bf4904c9d4c8f1a7fc8bfc56e88cfbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odds and ends now...

The Atrium - only 3 decks, not terribly exciting but a nice open space.

c9c1247c9f3b2439a839e91324f0a2ce.jpg

Ocean Bar

41a69509c5219b48fbd48c7776fe974d.jpg

In a spa area

6ae4cc5fbba60b9cc4d884c3a8729f9e.jpg

Aft Seaview Bar with the smoking area beyond it.

0d6009c55f86736dc4b3aa808afc5437.jpg

Copper, does it have anything to do with Nutella and chocolate sprinkles? If so, then no we did not... We had croquettes, and a delicious grilled ham and cheese (called a tosti? ), and herring, and we watched many other things being eaten, mainly full of cream. I still can't believe the amount of food that must have been consumed on that ship! There are not enough hours in the day to fit everything in.

There were lovely snack items in the Culinary Arts Centre, too. One evening we went with friends and had a sort of tapas dinner. Happy hour was from 4 to 6, so it worked out perfectly.

Wonderful review so far. Can you explain the culinary arts center a little more? Is it like a bar that serves food? Thank you.

The CAC (which I don't seem to have a picture of ) is a long, narrow room with a counter set up as a demonstration area for their cooking classes. There are tables and chairs around and a large TV screen. They show games on the TV if there is anything on. The menu when there is no cooking demo is small items, I found a menu - will post it. The fish taco was yummy!

The CAC (which I don't seem to have a picture of ) is a long, narrow room with a counter set up as a demonstration area for their cooking classes. There are tables and chairs around and a large TV screen. They show games on the TV if there is anything on. The menu when there is no cooking demo is small items, I found a menu - will post it. The fish taco was yummy!

No worries about the picture. I have been on the ship and you are describing it perfectly. Thank you.

Can't wait to read more!

Copper, does it have anything to do with Nutella and chocolate sprinkles? If so, then no we did not... We had croquettes, and a delicious grilled ham and cheese (called a tosti? ), and herring, and we watched many other things being eaten, mainly full of cream. I still can't believe the amount of food that must have been consumed on that ship! There are not enough hours in the day to fit everything in.

There were lovely snack items in the Culinary Arts Centre, too. One evening we went with friends and had a sort of tapas dinner. Happy hour was from 4 to 6, so it worked out perfectly.

Nope; Nutella chocolate spread and "Hagelslag" (chocolate sprinkles) are put on a slice of bread (not necessarily at the same time). An "uitsmijter", literally a "bouncer," is an open faced sandwich/thick piece of white bread with a slice of ham, a slice of Dutch cheese and an egg, sunny-side up, consumed for breakfast, pretty good, as are 'kroketten" and "bitterballen" ;)

uitsmijter.jpg

So just wanting to clarify as we are going on the k’dam in April ... can you purchase the wine package without having the beverages packages as we wouldn’t drink enough for the beverage package 🙂

I think the wine packages are a much better deal than the beverage package - unless you get the Explore4 as a free promo! You definitely would not want to get both at the same time. We drink only wine, and even at Happy Hours (buy 1, get the second for $2), we would just have a glass of prosecco each. Of course, if you drink cocktails, outside of Happy Hour, and a lot of them, the beverage package might be worth it.

I think the wine packages are a much better deal than the beverage package - unless you get the Explore4 as a free promo! You definitely would not want to get both at the same time. We drink only wine, and even at Happy Hours (buy 1, get the second for $2), we would just have a glass of prosecco each. Of course, if you drink cocktails, outside of Happy Hour, and a lot of them, the beverage package might be worth it.

Thanks for that. We did Alaska on Niue Amsterdam couple of years ago and found the happy hours a good reasonable way to have a drink. We only really drink beer and wine and if we bring a bottle or two onboard with us when we start we can have them in our room to enjoy on the balcony in the evening if we wanted :-). Do you need to purchase the wine package before boarding or can you do it once onboard? Sorry for all the questions :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Poffertjes ;);)

omas-poffertjes-98845-1.jpeg

That's it! I'm beginning to think I will have to sail again on Koningsdam or perhaps Nieuw Statendam - I seem to have missed out on a lot. So much food - so little time! :eek:

I never had the lobster Mac & Cheese in the CAC either!

Thanks for that. We did Alaska on Niue Amsterdam couple of years ago and found the happy hours a good reasonable way to have a drink. We only really drink beer and wine and if we bring a bottle or two onboard with us when we start we can have them in our room to enjoy on the balcony in the evening if we wanted :-). Do you need to purchase the wine package before boarding or can you do it once onboard? Sorry for all the questions :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would do it on board - the wine stewards will love you! (One told us, actually, that the wine steward who opens the bottle for you is the one who gets the commission, but as soon as the word gets out that you have a wine package, they know who you are!:D)

On the subject of food, eight of us had a table at the Cellar Master's Dinner, and it was excellent. The price had gone up, to, I think, $94 and the bill came to $207.20 for the two of us - I guess including the 15% on the wines. So kind of steep, and just about all the food would have been available around the ship.

ship.4816922f353491eea6d935601c56485d.jpg

Sorry, sideways again. Must figure that one out.

Foie gras with caviar - luxurious!

453903aff4ba34a7d9c393dfe5affa52.jpg

Here's the beef and the cheeses.

7b1f5cbb4cd89b0b63268a15312afba0.jpg9af52d0b26f91b1ed698f1340275c17d.jpg

Thank you. We are sailing 17 days in Feb. Will be nice to get away from the Ottawa cold. Did I see you waving with Tony F on one of the sailaways- glass of wine in hand?

Wow you have a great memory Sahara1 to recognize us from afar . I believe we have cruised together a couple of times on the Prinsendam and the Volendam , two great cruises !

Greetings and until next time ! :D