P&O Early Saver Fares

miranda53

One thing that used to bother me was not knowing if the price was currently a good price or a bad price regardless of it being a 'Select' or 'Saver' price. I now use a website called Cruiseville.co.uk who monitor the prices for all P&O cruises and it helps you decide if you are going to be one of the guys paying a lot or one of the guys paying a little. Hope this helps ;)

Thanks for that info I hadnt heard of the website but I will be checking it next time I book a cruise!😊

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

One thing that used to bother me was not knowing if the price was currently a good price or a bad price regardless of it being a 'Select' or 'Saver' price. I now use a website called Cruiseville.co.uk who monitor the prices for all P&O cruises and it helps you decide if you are going to be one of the guys paying a lot or one of the guys paying a little. Hope this helps ;)

Thanks, I’ll check out that website :)

Fred Olsen offers priority embarkation and disembarkation for Freedom fare passengers. I think it is after suites and high tier loyalty customers. Still staggered but the early slots are given to Freedom passengers. That might be popular on P and O as the later embarkation times are unpopular at Southampton. It does not cost the line anything but could be seen as a perk. Also on Fred when I wanted to change my table to a different location in the dining room the manager was not overly enthusiastic until he had checked my booking type.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Select Fare with a choice of free car parking or coach, can be very valuable, consider a 25 -32 nights cruise car park cost, or free coach travel from the 'far north'. Our experience with five cruise lines leads us to believe that the lines direct sell agents know which cabins are, shall we say, 'problematic' as do more senior Hotel staff on each ship. To the extent that having been allocated one such, on board staff have been willing to relocate us, if cabins ars available or award future credit against another cruise, or OBC if we preferred.

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners

Select Fare with a choice of free car parking or coach, can be very valuable, consider a 25 -32 nights cruise car park cost, or free coach travel from the 'far north'. Our experience with five cruise lines leads us to believe that the lines direct sell agents know which cabins are, shall we say, 'problematic' as do more senior Hotel staff on each ship. To the extent that having been allocated one such, on board staff have been willing to relocate us, if cabins ars available or award future credit against another cruise, or OBC if we preferred.

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners

Problematic cabins are not confined to saver fares which is why everyone should do their homework before booking, which is easy now with the Internet.

We once chose and booked what looked like a perfectly acceptable cabin (pre internet days) no where near anything noisy, mid ships with cabins above and below. It was hellish, once the engines started the noise was so loud we could not have a conversation and there was no chance of sleep.

The ship staff were well aware of the issue, they even had ear plugs at the ready! Told them this was not acceptable, demanded and got a move but only after threatening to tape (yes old fashioned tape recorder) the noise and contact a news paper would they budge on it.

I don't think cruise lines would get away with this level of constant annoyance in any cabin now as people would simply record it and have it on social media within minutes. There is even a noise meter app so you can tell if the noise is above what would be considered an acceptable level for a sleeping area. All of this technology means that there are not so many really noisy cabins, but still those with some irritation eg scraping sun beds above.

The other types of problem as less easy to deal with eg soot on the rear cabins in Brittania as it literally depends on the way the wind is blowing. For that reason I would never take a saver in Brittania.

My rule of thumb is only take a saver if you know what the very worst allocation is in the grade you are likely to get and are happy to live with that. Some ships / grades are fine.

What is also interesting on Fred Olsen is that if you are an Anchor (Saver equivalent) fare, you can pay £2 per person per night to change the sitting that you have been allocated.

In a port where a shuttle is chargeable, it is not included in the Anchor fares, but you buy an all day ticket (£5 when we did it) from Reception.

Incidentally, our experience with noisy 'problematic' cabins has tended to relate to engineering rather than hotel aspects. By ignoring Reception and involving the Staff (now Deputy) Captain matters were speedily resolved.

What is also interesting on Fred Olsen is that if you are an Anchor (Saver equivalent) fare, you can pay £2 per person per night to change the sitting that you have been allocated.

In a port where a shuttle is chargeable, it is not included in the Anchor fares, but you buy an all day ticket (£5 when we did it) from Reception.

People have accused Fred of giving them the opposite of what they want for dinner sitting as a way of increasing revenue. I would not know if that is true.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Problematic cabins are not confined to saver fares which is why everyone should do their homework before booking, which is easy now with the Internet.

We once chose and booked what looked like a perfectly acceptable cabin (pre internet days) no where near anything noisy, mid ships with cabins above and below. It was hellish, once the engines started the noise was so loud we could not have a conversation and there was no chance of sleep.

The ship staff were well aware of the issue, they even had ear plugs at the ready! Told them this was not acceptable, demanded and got a move but only after threatening to tape (yes old fashioned tape recorder) the noise and contact a news paper would they budge on it.

I don't think cruise lines would get away with this level of constant annoyance in any cabin now as people would simply record it and have it on social media within minutes. There is even a noise meter app so you can tell if the noise is above what would be considered an acceptable level for a sleeping area. All of this technology means that there are not so many really noisy cabins, but still those with some irritation eg scraping sun beds above.

The other types of problem as less easy to deal with eg soot on the rear cabins in Brittania as it literally depends on the way the wind is blowing. For that reason I would never take a saver in Brittania.

My rule of thumb is only take a saver if you know what the very worst allocation is in the grade you are likely to get and are happy to live with that. Some ships / grades are fine.

I think there is still some noisy cabins. I had a single on Thomson Celebration. They were shop staff cabins in the Holland America days. It was even noisy in port with only hotel power being used. Far worse when moving and far worse using the bow thruster. The toilet and sinks had an interesting pattern of ripples from the vibration. Luckily I knew in advance, it was a short cruise and I am a good sleeper.

All this moaning from the Saver fare brigade. In my experience most Saver pax end up with what they want or close to it. But surely even they must admit that Select fare pax should have first dibs at it. And as for Savers paying more than Select. Well they were happy with the price when they booked. All the fares go up and down depending on the demand so there are always winners and losers. First rule of cruising , never talk about how much you paid.

Is it my imagination or does the P&O board have more whingers and moaners than any other. It’s meant to be a holiday you know.

All this moaning from the Saver fare brigade. In my experience most Saver pax end up with what they want or close to it. But surely even they must admit that Select fare pax should have first dibs at it. And as for Savers paying more than Select. Well they were happy with the price when they booked. All the fares go up and down depending on the demand so there are always winners and losers. First rule of cruising , never talk about how much you paid.

Is it my imagination or does the P&O board have more whingers and moaners than any other. It’s meant to be a holiday you know.

That wouldn't be you whinging and moaning about people (allegedly) whinging and moaning by any chance:)

I agree about never discussing what you have paid directly with other pax on a ship, for one thing it is vulgar. People do however see the price changes without being told by others.

I would love to know who the "saver brigade" are as if people are like me they sometimes book select and sometimes a saver depending on what makes sense at the time. There Will be pax who always book Select of course but they will then get exactly what they want and so what savers do or don't get has no effect on them.

I also thought that it was a given that Select pax got first choice (even when they have paid less).

That wouldn't be you whinging and moaning about people (allegedly) whinging and moaning by any chance:)

I agree about never discussing what you have paid directly with other pax on a ship, for one thing it is vulgar. People do however see the price changes without being told by others.

I would love to know who the "saver brigade" are as if people are like me they sometimes book select and sometimes a saver depending on what makes sense at the time. There Will be pax who always book Select of course but they will then get exactly what they want and so what savers do or don't get has no effect on them.

I also thought that it was a given that Select pax got first choice (even when they have paid less).

I agree with you about some of the comments. We are all passengers. In some posts it is almost like they should be made to suffer. If I book Select and I get my preferred cabin and dining. Why would I worry what other people have paid, what cabin they have or when they dine. As far as I know P and O is a one class line. There are a few perks for some but P and O is hardly about them and us.

Do we need to be disparaging about other peoples choices to validate our own choices. You see this in the Brexit debate, Swivel Eyes vs Remoaners. You see it in American politics. You see it in UK newspapers.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Hi...I don't think it is a case of " Saver fare Passengers" made to suffer but surely if one has booked a Saver fare the understanding of what that means should be applied and adhered to otherwise what is the point of having a 2/3 tier system.I have seen the queues of passengers at the MDR door wishing to change ....some Select fare but mostly Saver fares. At times it has become rather " heated" because they weren't getting their own way .

How do they prioritise Select Fare clients when they may be at the back of the queue?

Hi...I don't think it is a case of " Saver fare Passengers" made to suffer but surely if one has booked a Saver fare the understanding of what that means should be applied and adhered to otherwise what is the point of having a 2/3 tier system.I have seen the queues of passengers at the MDR door wishing to change ....some Select fare but mostly Saver fares. At times it has become rather " heated" because they weren't getting their own way .

How do they prioritise Select Fare clients when they may be at the back of the queue?

Theoretically , I thought all select fares got the dining option of their choice, so they would have no need to queue to change it.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I’ve booked select and the only benefit we get as far as I can see is the chance to choose freedom dining.

We could only book guarantee, so no choice of cabin, minimal OBC and don’t think shuttles apply. Fly cruise so no parking/coach option.

We had to book select as travelling with others and want to dine together.

Anyone know of any other advantage for us?

Theoretically , I thought all select fares got the dining option of their choice, so they would have no need to queue to change it.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Yes they do ....but I was thinking if they had friends who booked last minute ( select fare) or even met someone on coach travelling down on the day of cruise and decided they would like to dine together. This did happen with us...unbeknown to us a couple who decided to " surprise" us turned up at the cruise terminal which was a lovely surprise but we needed to change dining time arrangement. Also if you decide to do more shore excursions than what you originally thought and so needed to change dining times to accommodate that.

We usually book Select now if the fare minus OBC is only marginally more than the Saver fare, if not we book Saver. We would certainly ask to change to our desired dining option and have always done this and have always got what we have wanted. As we want 2nd sitting Club this is never a problem as most want Freedom. It is the table size we sometimes have to fight for as we always travel in a foursome and want a table for 4 but again we have always got this. Chances are that someone wants what you are trying to change from.

P&O have nothing to gain by refusing your request if it is possible. I find it strange that some Select fare passengers think that Saver fare customers should be refused these requests.

We had to book select as travelling with others and want to dine together.

Anyone know of any other advantage for us?

We have booked select, early saver & saver fares in the past. If you get your bookings linked then you should all get the same dining.

We usually travel with friends and always make sure that the bookings are linked and have never been disappointed yet. If you book early saver then you can request which dining option you would like and as long as the bookings are linked everything should be fine.

For the record on the occasions I have booked a saver I have never felt the need to go and change my dining. While I prefer freedom if I get club I just go with the flow and take what was allocated.

I was not aware of "heated" exchanges for a dining time - just never seen it I suppose, is this a regular occurrence and how do you know which contract pax in the que booked?

Why would a select passenger need further priority, they got priority at the time of booking to state what dining times they wanted. I read your further post with an example of when someone might want to change but in reality how often does this happen.

It's all a big jigsaw anyway. Savers changing may actually be freeing up a slot for a Select passenger who changes their mind between booking and boarding.

According to P and O, Select fares get first priority, presumably that is between the time of booking and the dining information being printed to go in cabins. After that everybody for themselves.

Best wishes, Stephen

Yes they do ....but I was thinking if they had friends who booked last minute ( select fare) or even met someone on coach travelling down on the day of cruise and decided they would like to dine together. This did happen with us...unbeknown to us a couple who decided to " surprise" us turned up at the cruise terminal which was a lovely surprise but we needed to change dining time arrangement. Also if you decide to do more shore excursions than what you originally thought and so needed to change dining times to accommodate that.

I would say at that stage it is too late for first priority. They cannot move a Saver fare passengers to make way for a select passenger. Even if a Saver passenger might prefer the dining you originally had. Once the dinning cards are in the cabins it is too late for priority.

You take your chance of a spare place or somebody else asking to change to create a place.

I suppose with each dining room accommodating two sets of guest a night they may have some flexibility as that is probably more than the number of passengers on the ship.

How about this system. On embarkation day one large public room divided in to three areas. I want First Club. I want Second Club. I want Freedom. You visit the area you have. You find somebody to swap with and all you do is exchange dining cards. If there is nobody to swap with at that time then you wait in the area you want until somebody approaches your area to swap.

Best wishes, Stephen.

How about this system. On embarkation day one large public room divided in to three areas. I want First Club. I want Second Club. I want Freedom. You visit the area you have. You find somebody to swap with and all you do is exchange dining cards. If there is nobody to swap with at that time then you wait in the area you want until somebody approaches your area to swap.

Swap, no. You would want to sell.

What will anyone bid me for a desirable pair of seats in Freedom?