suggestions: field trips or longer cruise? Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

caroline2007

hello, I would like to hear some suggestions! thank you!

We live at Washington DC. Plan a cruise with 2 seniors, 2 adults and 2 young toddlers. I thought driving will save some money, but I'm kind of concerning about driving all the way to Miami. Is it worth of doing it as a field trip? Plan to leave Sunday and take a break in the middle, then drive on Monday to arrive at Miami around afternoon to hop on the cruise. For 4 days cruise, we will be back on Friday morning. I'm not sure whether anything is worth to take a day at Miami yet. If not, we will be heading back on Friday and stop at the middle, then drive on Saturday back to DC.

The other way is cruise longer time and all the way from Baltimore to Bahama cruise.

If I counted driving and hotel, the price difference is about $300-$500.

I still need experienced traveler to give me some suggestions. Thank you!

Regarding the cruise: I got quote for Carnival and Royal Caribbean for Bahama cruise. Carnival is about $200 cheaper in total. But Royal Caribbean has lots of new stuff such as Ice skating and wall climbing. I need experienced Cruiser suggestions. Is it worth that $200 more. Also Carnival stops at Half moon bay and Royal Caribbean stops at Cococay. I did research lost of people think Half moon bay water is clearer and the sand is more beautiful than Coco Cay.

So many details and questions. Thank you for all your suggestions!

IMO you are not allowing enough time the second day driving. You need to be parked in Miami no later than noon. All aboard is two hours prior to sailing so keep that in mind. Instead of sailing out of Miami have you looked at CCL cruises out of Norfolk, Charleston or Jacksonville? They all go to the Bahamas though they are typically five days.

IMO you are not allowing enough time the second day driving. You need to be parked in Miami no later than noon. All aboard is two hours prior to sailing so keep that in mind. Instead of sailing out of Miami have you looked at CCL cruises out of Norfolk, Charleston or Jacksonville? They all go to the Bahamas though they are typically five days.

I checked Charleston and Jacksonville and those ships' review are not that good, Norfolk doesn't have any Bahama cruise in this year.

unless any cruiser here have any experience departing from those ports can give me some good suggestions of the ship?

This is my parents' first cruise so I would like it to be a good experience for them.

BTW, thanks for reminding me about the boarding time. I saw the itinerary says 4pm, so I guess we should be able to get there before 2pm.

I would select the longer cruise from a port close to home. A 4 day cruise is short and it will go by fast. Fellow passengers on short itineraries almost always seem to be rowdier, trying to pack as much vacation as possible on the shortened amount of time. And ships relegated to short itineraries tend to be the older ones in the fleet.

The long drive will be tedious, specially considering that you’re traveling with seniors and toddlers. This will dampen the enjoyment of your vacation, both at the beginning and end of your vacation. The drive is boring, with not many attractions along the way.

Finally, the only reason why I would consider driving all the way to South Florida would be to sail on a longer itinerary on one of the various cruise lines’ newest ships, and to destinations that would make the drive worth my while. But to visit the same Bahamas destinations, it makes little sense to me to drive that far.

About Carnival vs. Royal: it really boils down to personal preference. With a multi generational group, I think that Royal may be a safer bet, specially for the seniors who may welcome a bit more refined looking ship and more sedate experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it were me, I would check train ticket prices. I would definitely go for as long a cruise as I possibly could, both a) just because more is better, and also b) to try to avoid the long-weekend party boats. And I would sooner than later get the elders involved in the discussion. Would they really want to go to a random beach behind barbed wire on some “private” island rather than to a port with some chance of getting a glimpse of the local culture? Think carefully about what you want from this cruise and how the various itineraries might meet your needs and expectations. Oh, and if you do wind up in Miami with an extra day, definitely consider driving down through Homestead into the Everglades Park. Walk some boardwalks in a few swamps, see some exotic birds and some alligators...

Whatever you decide, it is all good. Put aside any thought of the options you did not choose and enjoy what will be a memorable Family trip.

I would select the longer cruise from a port close to home. A 4 day cruise is short and it will go by fast. Fellow passengers on short itineraries almost always seem to be rowdier, trying to pack as much vacation as possible on the shortened amount of time. And ships relegated to short itineraries tend to be the older ones in the fleet.

The long drive will be tedious, specially considering that you’re traveling with seniors and toddlers. This will dampen the enjoyment of your vacation, both at the beginning and end of your vacation. The drive is boring, with not many attractions along the way.

Finally, the only reason why I would consider driving all the way to South Florida would be to sail on a longer itinerary on one of the various cruise lines’ newest ships, and to destinations that would make the drive worth my while. But to visit the same Bahamas destinations, it makes little sense to me to drive that far.

About Carnival vs. Royal: it really boils down to personal preference. With a multi generational group, I think that Royal may be a safer bet, specially for the seniors who may welcome a bit more refined looking ship and more sedate experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much! :*

If it were me, I would check train ticket prices. I would definitely go for as long a cruise as I possibly could, both a) just because more is better, and also b) to try to avoid the long-weekend party boats. And I would sooner than later get the elders involved in the discussion. Would they really want to go to a random beach behind barbed wire on some “private” island rather than to a port with some chance of getting a glimpse of the local culture? Think carefully about what you want from this cruise and how the various itineraries might meet your needs and expectations. Oh, and if you do wind up in Miami with an extra day, definitely consider driving down through Homestead into the Everglades Park. Walk some boardwalks in a few swamps, see some exotic birds and some alligators...

Whatever you decide, it is all good. Put aside any thought of the options you did not choose and enjoy what will be a memorable Family trip.

I didn't know there there is a train! I will check later. Thanks!

BTW, thanks for reminding me about the boarding time. I saw the itinerary says 4pm, so I guess we should be able to get there before 2pm.

This is something you don't want to even risk. You have to be on board! Allow yourself hours; not just a few minutes. Even if ship doesn't sail for a while, cruiselines do not mess around. There are often reports of people showing up just a couple of minutes late, but denied boarding. Don't "guess" on it!

Also, a lot of short cruises are often known as party/booze.cruises. Any possibility of doing a standard 7 day cruise? A much better experience and more relaxing.

With two small children and older adults I think RC might be your better bet. Much depends on the ship, amenities, itinerary, etc. Make sure the ship you choose has what you are expecting - example - not all RC ships have ice rinks.

I personally would never drive that far for not even a week vacation. We drove from WI to NOLA last Jan for our 7 day cruise and it was so much fun, I love road trips, but not for such a short amount of time. I also would never plan to arrive so late on the day of embarkation on a short cruise, you are missing a good couple hours at least of being on the boat. You also risking missing the boat if you ended up with a flat tire, car breaking down, traffic jams, etc. by planning to arrive so close to final boarding time. That would be too much stress for me.

We've also cruised with multi-generations. My son-in-law insisted on driving to our port a couple of years ago. We decided at the end of the cruise, it would never happen again. Stopping, unloading the car for a night, finding somewhere to eat, getting settled for the night, getting up and loading the car, getting breakfast before leaving, bathroom stops, fuel stops....I could go on and on. We also don't think a short cruise is worth the drive. I'll also mention that we drove to port several years ago and my Mother accidentally locked the car with one set of keys in the ignition and the spare set in my sister's purse...sitting in the floorboard. That delayed us five hours while waiting on a locksmith.

Any chance of finding a 5 day cruise - that was how I enticed DH to try. Personally a 7 day cruise is a much different experience than the shorter, less frantic and more time to really enjoy the ship. Granduer out of Baltimore is a favorite ship of ours so perhaps you could look at their offerings.

Long drive with 2 seniors and 2 toddlers?!

You need to factor in that you'll be stopping every 20 miles because someone will have to pee/get a drink/stretch/ change diaper/ lost sippy cup/ having a tantrum/ need to take meds....

Not worth it for a 4-day cruise imho

I would go out of Baltimore, Charleston, even NY if I had to drive. Driving down in anticipation doing the field trip is fun and would be a blast as you're gearing up. BUT REMEMBER, you have to make that drive back after the cruise when everyone is tired and just wants to get home.

Thank you all for so much information and suggestions. The reason I picked a ship from Miami, because that ship has wall climbing and ice rink which doesn't offer from other ships from other ports. :(

also I have to choose the month when the school is over and early of the hurricane season, the one from Baltimore is $2K more than the one deports from Miami, so I guess it left me the choices of either flying over there or taking the train.

Thank you all for so much information and suggestions. The reason I picked a ship from Miami, because that ship has wall climbing and ice rink which doesn't offer from other ships from other ports. :(

also I have to choose the month when the school is over and early of the hurricane season, the one from Baltimore is $2K more than the one deports from Miami, so I guess it left me the choices of either flying over there or taking the train.

The ice shows are wonderful entertainment - no doubt about that - but you are only going to see one one-hour show. There is also very little open skating on a small rink. Rock climbing walls are fun, but available on several ships.

Wouldn't base an entire cruise on those two things. You just aren't going to use them that much.

I agree with everyone about the long drive, it just isn't worth it for a short cruise. Also you really would need to get to Miami by noon, not any later.

Is there any chance you can find a 7 day cruise? It would likely be a calmer cruise instead of a party cruise, more appropriate for toddlers and seniors, and makes the having to get there and back more worth it.

The ice shows are wonderful entertainment - no doubt about that - but you are only going to see one one-hour show. There is also very little open skating on a small rink. Rock climbing walls are fun, but available on several ships.

Wouldn't base an entire cruise on those two things. You just aren't going to use them that much.

Thanks for this important information! I chose this ship mainly because these two things. :') I thought because we have one whole day cruising on the sea, I gotta find a way to make them enjoy the time on the ship.

I also choose Royal Caribbean because it seems Carnival is always party boat which I don't think it's suitable for my toddlers and seniors.

I would go out of Baltimore, Charleston, even NY if I had to drive. Driving down in anticipation doing the field trip is fun and would be a blast as you're gearing up. BUT REMEMBER, you have to make that drive back after the cruise when everyone is tired and just wants to get home.

unfortunately, the ships from SC in June is all Carnival. No ship for Bahama from Baltimore in June. Only one ship from NY in June is kind of sold out for interiors. The price is doubled than the one we are going to take from Miami. :')

I wish the cruise ship can provide more options for us North folks. ;p

Whatever cruise you choose, PLEASE get travel insurance!

If you choose to drive from DC to S. FL, you are increasing your chances of something going wrong -- traffic mess, flat tire, car sickness, road construction, etc. No last minute stops for diapers. (The ship won't have/supply them.)

You must have the car parked & everyone ON the SHIP by 2:00 for a 4:00 departure!

Don't underestimate needing that Sea Day for resting from the drive & general hectic nature of getting settled on the ship. You don't have to pack every minute just because you can!

Two toddlers? One or both may not be old enough for the kids' programs or the pools. The 4 adults may have to tag-team childcare. You'll need that sea day!

I so hope that this adventure works out for everyone! Please come back & let us know!