Are River View Cabins That Bad?

mskaufman

DW and I are planning a Danube river cruise and on a number of sailings all that is left are "river view" cabins on the lowest deck. I understand that you can't watch the river go by and that the floor is below the water level. We tend to use the cabin for sleeping and changing and otherwise are off or around the ship. Is there something I am missing as to why these cabins are undesirable?

I can’t imagine spending any time in my cabin on a river cruise that wasn’t related to sleeping, showering, or dressing. You will want to be in the public spaces, lounges, or sun deck. Unless you’re a recluse. There are no bad decks on a river cruise,

EXCEPT, during the winter Christmas Markets season. Then you must realize that the lowest deck is floating directly in the icy cold water and the floor of your room will be very cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would note that I think the size of the cabin is more important than the view on a river cruise. The cabins are smaller than what I experienced on ocean cruises. My mother and I had the French balcony on an AMA cruise in December and it was tight moving around the room. We just booked a cruise on Viking and we were going to go with the same category, but I realized on Viking it is about 30 sq ft smaller than the AMA ship we were on. We ended up changing to a verandah, not so much for the balcony, but more for the space. So what I am saying is to take the overall size of the room into consideration as well as the view. Of course for solo travelers which there are many in river cruising this may be a non-issue since you won't accidentally slam the bathroom door into you mother like I did!

I would note that I think the size of the cabin is more important than the view on a river cruise. The cabins are smaller than what I experienced on ocean cruises. My mother and I had the French balcony on an AMA cruise in December and it was tight moving around the room. We just booked a cruise on Viking and we were going to go with the same category, but I realized on Viking it is about 30 sq ft smaller than the AMA ship we were on. We ended up changing to a verandah, not so much for the balcony, but more for the space. So what I am saying is to take the overall size of the room into consideration as well as the view. Of course for solo travelers which there are many in river cruising this may be a non-issue since you won't accidentally slam the bathroom door into you mother like I did!

Surprisingly on Viking, the aquarium view cabins are actually larger than the French balconies--and you also have the extra window shelf space for storage in the aquarium cabins.

EXCEPT, during the winter Christmas Markets season. Then you must realize that the lowest deck is floating directly in the icy cold water and the floor of your room will be very cold.

As on some ships, and at least on Uniworld, the bathroom floors are heated. Never really noticed any cold on carpeted areas.

We really enjoy having the balcony rooms so we can sit and enjoy the view in peace and quiet. We do socialize but we also enjoy our quiet time together. I'm also very uncomfortable being below the deck/waterline...from a safety perspective. I need options for escape. Ya, I'm weird...but being in the Navy gives me a heathy respect for the bad things that can happen below the water line.

We really enjoy having the balcony rooms so we can sit and enjoy the view in peace and quiet. We do socialize but we also enjoy our quiet time together. I'm also very uncomfortable being below the deck/waterline...from a safety perspective. I need options for escape. Ya, I'm weird...but being in the Navy gives me a heathy respect for the bad things that can happen below the water line.

Kind of my feeling as well. I have to have a good size window. We looked at the French Balconies but on Viking they are smaller than the Veranda rooms. We figured we were spending that much money why not spend a bit more and be comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The window is well above the waterline.

We were on Viking's Christmas market cruise in an "aquarium" cabin and it was just as toasty as everywhere else in the ship. I don't wear slippers in the cabin so I'd definitely have noticed if my feet were cold on the floor!

The window is well above the waterline.

It's been stated on this site that the ships are taller than the water is deep, so should there be a problem, the ship would sit on the bottom with a good deal of the ship above the water line. This is why the safety drill is generally low-key.

We were on Viking's Christmas market cruise in an "aquarium" cabin and it was just as toasty as everywhere else in the ship. I don't wear slippers in the cabin so I'd definitely have noticed if my feet were cold on the floor!

Well You might have been on a better insulated river ship in a much milder winter. I was on the Danube cruise Christmas 2012 aka as coldest winter on Europe in 50 years. Chunks of ice were floating in the Danube. Viking brought in extra bedspreads, blankets and throw rugs for floors of the passenger cabins on the lowest level.

I am a solo traveller from the UK. Only the lowest category cabins have a less than 100% surcharge. I ask the hotel manager if an upgrade is available after the first night. This has always been possible. It is also cheaper!

It depends on the line. On most the 100% surcharge is only on suites; regular cabins are usually ONLY 50% surcharge. I have been twice on Uniworld (older ships) and got single supplement waived on higher than the lowest category, although still aquarium class.

On my first Uniworld cruise I was in a Category 3 with a French balcony and had the single supplement waived. It varies by ship, itinerary, time of year, etc so it pays to do your research and be flexible.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

The OP mentioned "River View." I assume she was talking about the port side of the ship, which tends to face the river, while the starboard side, tends to face the nearest shore. We love the port/river view side and have just booked our third Avalon cruise with a port side room. We love the Avalon "Suites" with the entire wall made of glass that can be opened up all the way, and with the beds facing the river, not another wall.

The aquarium cabins on the Avalon ships are only about 179 square feet while the cabins on the other two decks are 200 square feet, larger than your typical ocean going cruise ship.

We've always booked cabins on the middle deck in the past but they were sold out this time, so we had to go with the top, "Royal Deck," which was more expensive. This is the only cruise and date that works for us so we're good with it.