Customer Disservice?

muggo11

However, by caving into the complainers, Norwegian now opened itself up to all the whiners who know they did something stupid - in the original article, the gentleman admitted his mistake - and still expect to not suffer the consequences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This from today’s Boston Globe, an awful situation that needs immediate attention. If this isn’t made right my family and I will never book with NCL again.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/story.html?et_rid=1841313658&s_campaign=todaysheadlines:newsletter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, now the next time you cruise Norwegian you can pack your passport and cruise docs inside your checked luggage, let the porters take it away, and demand that NCL not only give you a full refund for not doing what is required by law, but also demand that they give you a free future trip where ever you desire!

HOORAY NCL, I wonder how many people are going to start packing their passports so that they can get a free trip out of the deal now?

Social media to the rescue, now everyone can cruise free!

YAY!!!!

Free cruises for everyone!

Next time you go to board make certain you have properly packed your passports and cruise docs inside your checked baggage. Then, after the porters have taken it all away tell NCL that they have until the ship sails to find your bags and get you your stuff. Other wise they owe you a full refund AND a free cruise!

What a way to cruise free!

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and read this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

The level of hysteria regarding a one-off "human interest" story with a happy ending is over the top. It's not going to affect cruise prices. It's not going to affect NCL stock. It's not going to affect your life, aside from your self-inflected bitterness at not getting to see someone get the comeuppance you think they deserve for screwing up.

This from today’s Boston Globe, an awful situation that needs immediate attention. If this isn’t made right my family and I will never book with NCL again.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/story.html?et_rid=1841313658&s_campaign=todaysheadlines:newsletter

If you really believe that NCL did something wrong, that’s on you. To say you will never use NCL again is a little overboard, don’t you think? I have cruise with NCL for years and if I thought it was their mistake I would also complain but it is clearly stated that you need your passport. No ifs, ands or buts. I understand that they are seniors but then their family should be more involved. Glad you won’t book with NCL again. We who don’t judge and threaten are better off without you.

YAY!!!!

Free cruises for everyone!

Next time you go to board make certain you have properly packed your passports and cruise docs inside your checked baggage. Then, after the porters have taken it all away tell NCL that they have until the ship sails to find your bags and get you your stuff. Other wise they owe you a full refund AND a free cruise!

What a way to cruise free!

Don't take personal responsibility for anything, just make sure you can gather enough sympathy.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and read this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

The level of hysteria regarding a one-off "human interest" story with a happy ending is over the top. It's not going to affect cruise prices. It's not going to affect NCL stock. It's not going to affect your life, aside from your self-inflected bitterness at not getting to see someone get the comeuppance you think they deserve for screwing up.

So where do the funds come from? Are you paying? If so, thanks,

So where do the funds come from? Are you paying? If so, thanks,

Your question implies you already know the answer. Where do *you* think the funds are coming from? Do you think NCL doesn't have customer-service based "comps" built into their budget? If not, that's damned short-sighted for a billion-dollar hospitality company.

NCL did three major things wrong as far as I can see. First was a lack of compassion for a couple who have made a mistake under chaotic circumstances. Even if you can’t solve the problem, how you deal with someone can significantly improve a very bad experience. Second, they apparently let them believe the problem would be resolved and had them sitting there for hours without communicating with them. Third, at least according to the story, a drivers license would have been acceptable according to ncl’s own policies, but no one raised that possibility with them. These were major customer service failures on the part of the ncl staff.

Your question implies you already know the answer. Where do *you* think the funds are coming from? Do you think NCL doesn't have customer-service based "comps" built into their budget? If not, that's damned short-sighted for a billion-dollar hospitality company.

I guess I would ask, where does it end? I’m fine with what NCL did, but at some point, folks must be prepared to cruise..or else we all suffer.

NCL did three major things wrong as far as I can see. First was a lack of compassion for a couple who have made a mistake under chaotic circumstances. Even if you can’t solve the problem, how you deal with someone can significantly improve a very bad experience. Second, they apparently let them believe the problem would be resolved and had them sitting there for hours without communicating with them. Third, at least according to the story, a drivers license would have been acceptable according to ncl’s own policies, but no one raised that possibility with them. These were major customer service failures on the part of the ncl staff.

First a drivers license alone isn't acceptable according to NCL's policies, so that's a mistake on the news articles part (maybe they should pay for this person's cruise). After that being wrong how can we be sure any of the rest of this news article is correct. Compassion alone can't fix this problem, they have cruised before it's not that chaotic of circumstances. Secondly I'm sure they tried to locate the luggage in the very short amount of time before they had to leave port and couldn't find it. I've been on cruises where my luggage hadn't arrived to my cabin until after dinner.

Very sad for the elderly couple- a simple mistake meant they missed out on their cruise. I blame the daughter for putting the passports in the checked luggage. I certainly wouldn’t do that with my elderly mum as I know there would be a chance she could easily forget to get it out. In fact I wouldn’t even risk placing my own passport in my checked luggage ever, incase I forgot to get it out. Unfortunately it was not NCL’s fault as you can’t pass immigration/Border security etc without the correct documentation. They are extremely lucky NCL decided to give them a refund.

And if you think ANY company doesn't add that cost into their price you are short-sighted.

This is the problem.

People read the fake news, embellished to sell advertising, and believe it to be truth.

There is one fact, you can not use a driver's license as proof of citizenship. The United States Immigrations and Customs establish the minimum documentation that passengers must provide to exit and re-enter the country (not the cruise line). And it must be WHTI compliant. Bottom line is that the couple did NOT have adequate documentation to embark on the ship. That is the story.

This is the problem.

People read the fake news, embellished to sell advertising, and believe it to be truth.

There is one fact, you can not use a driver's license as proof of citizenship. The United States Immigrations and Customs establish the minimum documentation that passengers must provide to exit and re-enter the country (not the cruise line). And it must be WHTI compliant. Bottom line is that the couple did NOT have adequate documentation to embark on the ship. That is the story.

Yet this couple is now getting reimbursed plus an extra cruise of their choosing, and people are applauding that.. I'm baffled.. Social Media trumps law now.

The elephant in the room....

...the couple might not live long enough to take their free cruise nor to spend their refund...:fever:

The article did say their health is declining. Even worse would be if one of them died on the cruise.

I agree with your first two points. Even though the elderly couple made the mistake, I think a lack of customer care hurt NCL. Additionally, whether a DL was sufficient or not, the problem was alternatives were apparently not discussed (even if there were none).

No one said he should have had his suitcase with him, just his passport!

If he had his passport, he wouldn't have gotten the refund plus the free cruise.

The old man outsmarted NCL. :D

Failure begets more failure. By rewarding the failure of the couple, NCL will either have to give away more free cruises when people "forget" their passport OR NCL will suffer the wrath of social media warriors who will cry "discrimination" when the next forgetful guest misses the ship due to the guest's own error.

There are people who missed their cruise because they didn't have the required documents and they received nothing. I wonder how they feel about this...:confused:

Maybe I should have been more specific. An enhanced drivers license is sufficient. Now, they probably didn't have those as most states don't. But it seems an obvious thing to ask about that and some of the other alternative forms which are acceptable.

How many of those people were actually NCL staff? Most of the workers at a port are employed by the port and contracted to work ship arrivals and departures.

Daughter who dumped her elderly parents and ran? Not NCL.

Passengers who forgot their passports? Not NCL.

Porter who collected suitcases? Not NCL.

Security who wanted to see passports? Not NCL.

I have traveled with my eighty-plus year old mother, and I would never let her travel alone. She almost packed her passport once and the only thing that prevented this same thing happening to her is that my wife and I asked about it. That’s how this problem is solved. Not with refunds and free cruises.

How many of those people were actually NCL staff? Most of the workers at a port are employed by the port and contracted to work ship arrivals and departures.

Daughter who dumped her elderly parents and ran? Not NCL.

Passengers who forgot their passports? Not NCL.

Porter who collected suitcases? Not NCL.

Security who wanted to see passports? Not NCL.

I have traveled with my eighty-plus year old mother, and I would never let her travel alone. She almost packed her passport once and the only thing that prevented this same thing happening to her is that my wife and I asked about it. That’s how this problem is solved. Not with refunds and free cruises.

Yup, and who lost on on the thousands in revenue from this cruise plus now paying thousands of dollars more for a free cruise? NCL

Therefore are people who missed their cruise because they didn't have the required documents and they received nothing. I wonder how they feel about this...:confused:

There's an obvious difference in this case vs just leaving your docs at home or in your luggage. And that's that NCL and/or their assigned agents communicated something that that fell through and also perhaps poor follow up and an on-the-scene customer service failure with the guests. After all, NCL did issue an apology, which is an admission of some responsibility. One can only assume NCL looked into this case and determined that they were at least partly responsible for the unfortunate outcome that day.

In this particular case, I think NCL did the right thing and I don't think it sets any sort of precedence that NCL should be worried about. Or any sort of expectation for past or future customers who simply screw up.

Companies often and wisely consider complaints on a case-by-case basis, taking extenuating circumstances into account. With the result often being a goodwill offering above and beyond what's written into their normal policy.

Edited by TexasCigarGuy