Why is this allowed to happen?

pseudoware

Gotcha...However, it took a reporter and a photographer being there to take the picture, didn't it? If I am an official at NCL - I'm on the phone with those folks TOMORROW.

What they should have done, under the photo....a caption saying....Get NCL to refund their money.....Call this number to tell them you will boycott them until they do...

Geez. Get a life, will you? I am not demanding they do a damned thing. I could care less. So they lose hundreds of thousands of dollars - I'm not a shareholder. Makes no difference to me what they do. Just offering an opinion.

What, your Son a big wig with NCL?

You are right. I shouldn't have responded the way I did. I appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

You said you worked in retail. I would take a wild guess you must have witnessed instances where customers abused a company's refund policy or tried to use publicity to shame a company into submission even though the company was not at fault. Just hate to see it happen here. That's all.

What they should have done, under the photo....a caption saying....Get NCL to refund their money.....Call this number to tell them you will boycott them until they do...

Like I said, there is a reason for everything. Their "story" didn't land in the Boston Globe out of the clear blue sky. An Editor there saw an opportunity and sent a reporter out there to do their story. It's one of those "David and Goliath" stories. Papers run them every now and again as a way (according to them) of "giving back" to the community. And, if it casts a company like NCL in a "bad light" then, so much the better.

I don't agree with it and I don't like it - but welcome to the world in the 21str Century. Personal accountability means little anymore.

So if the couple gets their money back, GREAT!!! If they don't, too bad. If NCL refuses to reimburse the people, so be it. If they lose tens of thousands of dollars being petulant - so be it. I'm not losing a dime. But doesn't it seem a bit odd, that in today's climate, they wouldn't refund their money? I mean, it always looks good to be the "good guy", right?

Edited by RandallFlagg

"Take the hit"....are you serious!?!?! Do you REALLY think that $2,500 is anything more than pocket change to NCL? Seriously!?!?

$2,500 is not that much against NCL's bottom line - but there are more than one among the tens of thousands who board NCL vessels every week who have problems and who believe they should be compensated.

Where should management draw the line at taking "the hit" for people whose carelessness cost them something?

Actually, this story might make many people think about how important it is to think - to take care - to behave responsibly. And, on the other hand, a "feel good" happy ending where NCL does reimburse would, while perhaps not encouraging carelessness, certainly result in a multitude of claims.

You are right. I shouldn't have responded the way I did. I appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

You said you worked in retail. I would take a wild guess you must have witnessed instances where customers abused a company's refund policy or tried to use publicity to shame a company into submission even though the company was not at fault. Just hate to see it happen here. That's all.

Think nothing of it. No, I didn't work in retail. I worked for a VERY large grocery wholesaler that had accounts in 39 states - bringing grocery products to local grocery stores. I have witnessed THOUSANDS of product recalls - THOUSANDS and, in the instances where a meat packer, or a milk supplier or whatever, chose to ignore the "public interest" in getting ahead of a recall - it rarely ended well for them. Some went bankrupt as a result of stubbornness.

However, those "other" companies, who jumped on "the right thing" from the onset, usually fared well.

Just like those companies who saw customers who abused a return policy - they still maintain those refund policies. Why? Public Relations. It's better to lose $30 on a dress than to lose $300 on future sales due to "word of mouth". It's a killer and it spreads like wildfire. And God forbid, the media gets hold of it. Then, it becomes a hurricane overnight.

If your decision is based solely on that hyperbolic rant masquerading as a travel column, well....

All service providers should be expected to continue to improve. But not to (1) perform a miraculous search of several thousand pieces of luggage for the single one in question; or (2) disregard government regulations regarding verification of the right to travel when said miracle does not occur. And just throwing up their hands and cutting a check whenever a customer presents them with an unsolvable situation and asks the company to disregard the terms of the contract that they (the customer) agreed to is a complete disservice to the 99.9% of current and future customers who rely on the company to at least conform to their known business model. And if you expect that business model to sustain itself so as to provide more rather than less customer service in the future, such exceptions to the model cannot be made even in extremely rare circumstance.

This fact is being relayed by an obviously biased source based on a month-delayed recollection of events by the passenger who all but admits to being confused and frightened by the entire circumstances. Who knows what to believe? Though I do suspect the columnist exaggerated the effect of the day on their state of mind to further enhance his exaggeration of NCL's alleged malfeasance....

TL;DR

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

$2,500 is not that much against NCL's bottom line - but there are more than one among the tens of thousands who board NCL vessels every week who have problems and who believe they should be compensated.

Where should management draw the line at taking "the hit" for people whose carelessness cost them something?

Actually, this story might make many people think about how important it is to think - to take care - to behave responsibly. And, on the other hand, a "feel good" happy ending where NCL does reimburse would, while perhaps not encouraging carelessness, certainly result in a multitude of claims.

I get your point. However, I would state to you - that the "line" should be drawn - when a story appears in a national newspaper.

Ever had to send a steak back at Ruth's Chris? I have. I asked for Medium and it was raw. That meal was comped for me. Did it hurt the establishments bottom line? hardly. Now, if, in the event that every customer who walked in that night had to send their steak back - they have fired the Chef, would they not? They wouldn't have gone out of business, to be sure, but they would make damned sure that it didn't happen again.

It's rather unfortunate, but I see folks defending the Cruise line (regardless of the name) to the point of ridiculousness. To me - and my Wife, it is a service purchased by US for OUR enjoyment, NOT the cruise line. If they make a small mistake - it doesn't bother us at all. However, if the same mistake continually happens over the course of a cruise - I expect - no, I DEMAND that it be taken off our bill. That is our RIGHT as a customer. Fortunately, it has never happened to us.

That's the way the world works. And, just because you sign a cruise contract that, let's face it, no one reads, we do NOT relinquish our rights as "customers" regardless of the country of origin for the cruise line.

Edited by RandallFlagg

Just saw that myself...Good On NCL for taking the high road! They did good!!! And they won that round!!

Just saw that myself...Good On NCL for taking the high road! They did good!!! And they won that round!!

(Meanwhile, on another thread posters are convinced that there will now be a trend of people with no documents showing up and hoping for a free cruise. The "slippery slope" logical fallacy is in full swing.)

Maybe already discussed here, but 1st I've heard of it:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/amp.html

Heartbreaking. How does something like this happen? PAX mistakes notwithstanding, why is there not a process in place to ensure an elderly couple who has saved and waited for their trip of a lifetime is not left stranded in a cruise terminal? And I get policy, and I know this has happened to others by other cruise lines, but can anyone cruise NCL again after hearing of a story like this?

In a minute!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

(Meanwhile, on another thread posters are convinced that there will now be a trend of people with no documents showing up and hoping for a free cruise. The "slippery slope" logical fallacy is in full swing.)
Whiners gonna whine.

Maybe already discussed here, but 1st I've heard of it:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/amp.html

Heartbreaking. How does something like this happen? PAX mistakes notwithstanding, why is there not a process in place to ensure an elderly couple who has saved and waited for their trip of a lifetime is not left stranded in a cruise terminal? And I get policy, and I know this has happened to others by other cruise lines, but can anyone cruise NCL again after hearing of a story like this?

Does anyone think this is the first time this has happened on any cruislines? I guarantee it is not. Is it sad? Yes, and as others have said we feel more sorry in this case because their age. Is that fair? No, not really, I deserve the same treatment as someone in their 80's.

Just because a cruiseline makes a mistake do we need to boycott them? If we boycott every company that makes a customer service mistake, oversite, or accident, there won't be any companies to deal with. Airlines, cruises, hotels, hospitals, stores, restaurants, etc., etc., etc.

Being members here on CC we all know these same kinds of things happen on every cruiseline.

There will always be "those" people whose only desire on this earth is to "take advantage' of ANY given situation. That's one of the risks that a company takes in dealing with the public.

As long as NCL or Carnival or Princess or whomever - take s the high road (as they did here) and takes everything on a "case-by-case" basis - they will ALWAYS come out on top.

Bravo NCL for doing the right thing.

Does anyone think this is the first time this has happened on any cruislines? I guarantee it is not. Is it sad? Yes, and as others have said we feel more sorry in this case because their age. Is that fair? No, not really, I deserve the same treatment as someone in their 80's.

Just because a cruiseline makes a mistake do we need to boycott them? If we boycott every company that makes a customer service mistake, oversite, or accident, there won't be any companies to deal with. Airlines, cruises, hotels, hospitals, stores, restaurants, etc., etc., etc.

Being members here on CC we all know these same kinds of things happen on every cruiseline.

I don't know, If you don't talk with your pocketbook, things will never improve. I hope that this cruise line will take a look at the process (or lack thereof) for ways to do things better.

Why were they not able to meet the ship at the next port? Did they not have trip insurance? Then at least by then the passports/luggage would have been located. I get the hectic part of the cruise port but I also heed the info of having copies of them made and kept separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wasn't that long ago that a mother was screaming at gate agents because her flight to a DCL cruise was cancelled and people were "Oh, the poor children...DCL or WDW SHOULD DO SOMETHING..."

Having traveled with an elderly parent, you better believe I checked and doubled checked every document, medication, emergency information...

Someone gets left behind due to missing paperwork at every port every week. Some people just have better press savvy.

There will always be "those" people whose only desire on this earth is to "take advantage' of ANY given situation. That's one of the risks that a company takes in dealing with the public.

As long as NCL or Carnival or Princess or whomever - take s the high road (as they did here) and takes everything on a "case-by-case" basis - they will ALWAYS come out on top.

Bravo NCL for doing the right thing.

I suppose there might be a few people to try this, but to pay $2700 for a cruise only to show up intentionally without one's documents in order to try to get back the $2700 and a free cruise seems like a bad bet for any gambler to undertake.

Wasn't that long ago that a mother was screaming at gate agents because her flight to a DCL cruise was cancelled and people were "Oh, the poor children...DCL or WDW SHOULD DO SOMETHING..."

Having traveled with an elderly parent, you better believe I checked and doubled checked every document, medication, emergency information...

Someone gets left behind due to missing paperwork at every port every week. Some people just have better press savvy.

Yes, people do get left behind every week but how many of them have their documents in their luggage, which is on the ship, and are told explicitly to have a seat, we have three hours, we will find your luggage? That is where I see NCL's customer service failure in all of this and I'm glad they made this couple whole (but by not doing the right thing immediately they ended up having to throw a free cruise on top of it to counteract the bad press).

Gotcha...However, it took a reporter and a photographer being there to take the picture, didn't it? If I am an official at NCL - I'm on the phone with those folks TOMORROW.

Looks like an official at NCL did read the story. And of course since their # 1 job is to maximize the value of the firm they offered the refund and the free cruise. As you said NCL's job is to do what's best for NCL not right the wrongs in society.

In these sympathy stories your caption is there - just not in print.

I suppose there might be a few people to try this, but to pay $2700 for a cruise only to show up intentionally without one's documents in order to try to get back the $2700 and a free cruise seems like a bad bet for any gambler to undertake.

Definitely! That is NOT a hand I would like to play...but you know as well as I that there are some "gamblers" out there who would...happens everyday, unfortunately.

Well, let’s say I find out I need to cancel a week out, but don’t have insurance. It’s in my best interest to show up at the dock without documentation, and plead my case (only a 20 minute drive).