Chic Night Dress Code

ldubs

You're welcome. I can't take these constant threads about dress codes that have proliferated since the advent of Evening Chic and the endless debates, so I need to inject them with a bit of humor every now and then. Nice to hear it's been appreciated!:D

It's nice to know that this infection isn't just limited to the Carnival forum.

So Evening Chic for men says: "Pants or designer jeans". I'm a 66 year old grey headed guy.

I don't want to be wearing jeans with holes in them or ones that show my boxers. ;)

Wearing anything under jeans is sooo quaint and old school... ya gotta "go commando" to be "chic." ;p

• 3 weeks later...
My DH will be in tux and I will wear my long dresses on Chic Nights

The other nights hubby wears short sleeved silk shirts and pants and I wear cocktail dresses

We would not dream of taking jeans on a cruise - no matter how designer they were - maybe its an age thing for us (60)but I know my son in laws would also not do.

It may also be a British thing - we do like to dress up and we always dress for dinner in a nice restaurant so the cruise is no different.

The only time we very casually dress down is on our villa holidays and even then we opt for me -pretty summer dress and hubby - dress shorts or pants with a shirt if we are eating out.

Not sure if this helps the OP but it gives a point of view.

I also don't care if others don't dress up - I would always prefer to be over dressed than under.

Gosh, my question was about what is meant by designer jeans. You want a gown & tux then go for it, except on the villa of course.

We are back from our Celebrity South America cruise now for about 2 weeks. Regarding dining room "chic" nights, I would say it could be categorized as people dressed very neat, dapper, well groomed, or however you would say the opposite of sloppy. A fair number of people were dressed formally, but most not. Overall it was a very nice atmosphere.

Well the jeans link at Nordstrom are all sold out. The jeans at NM only have one size left. Someone are buying the jeans.

My DH will be in tux and I will wear my long dresses on Chic Nights

The other nights hubby wears short sleeved silk shirts and pants and I wear cocktail dresses

We would not dream of taking jeans on a cruise - no matter how designer they were - maybe its an age thing for us (60)but I know my son in laws would also not do.

It may also be a British thing - we do like to dress up and we always dress for dinner in a nice restaurant so the cruise is no different.

The only time we very casually dress down is on our villa holidays and even then we opt for me -pretty summer dress and hubby - dress shorts or pants with a shirt if we are eating out.

Not sure if this helps the OP but it gives a point of view.

I also don't care if others don't dress up - I would always prefer to be over dressed than under.

To each their own. I'm just another type of man will be 60 this year. I wear jeans to dinner every evening in Blu or Luminae. I even wore a short sleeve shirt and jeans to a dinner with a Officer in Tuscan Grill. I would have worn a long sleeves shirt if I had brought any. I was on vacation. I did ask the Captains Club Hostess if shirt sleeve shirt was ok and she said yes that was fine.

I know its been stated but I think they just mean clean, not torn, jeans. Just like in today's office environment many companies now allow jeans. Plain old nice jeans, no holes, not too faded, . I was on Solstice in Alaska about 5 years ago and wore a plain old pair of Levis, (not the ones I mow the yard in) they were new and not faded. I threw on a really nice long sleeve shirt that I wore untucked and a pair of black slip on loafers. I looked fine and no one had an issue with it. I am going on Equinox in 2 weeks and plan to do the same.

Probably dress variations and accordingly the on board ambiance vary by itinerary, ship, passengers’ background and maybe other factors.

Quite in contrast to a Caribbean cruise on the Equinox last year, I found the passengers on this year’s South East Asia cruise on the Constellation much more dressed up. From my observation I would guess maybe about 10% of men in tuxedos/dinnerjackets, certainly more than 50% in suits and ties. Ladies showed a variety of dresses from cocktail to full length.

Probably dress variations and accordingly the on board ambiance vary by itinerary, ship, passengers’ background and maybe other factors.

Quite in contrast to a Caribbean cruise on the Equinox last year, I found the passengers on this year’s South East Asia cruise on the Constellation much more dressed up. From my observation I would guess maybe about 10% of men in tuxedos/dinnerjackets, certainly more than 50% in suits and ties. Ladies showed a variety of dresses from cocktail to full length.

That's interesting. My last two Asian cruises were less dressy than what I have experienced previously elsewhere. Barely a tux in sight on the Connie in late 2016. I shall report back after my next Asia cruise in a few weeks.