Santorini

St. Louis Sandy

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Here's a link to the Ports of Call boards where you might want to read/do a search on Santorini.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

Here's another thread to Tom's Port Guides on Santorini that you might find helpful.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/santorini-07-22-2013.pdf

Get off early. If there is more than one ship in port, get off even earlier!

If you want to go to Oia then I suggest getting a ferry there. The ticket includes the ferry, a bus up the hill to Oia and a bus back to Fira. Sorry, but I can't remember what it cost but it was reasonable value. The last shuttle bus to Fira run by that company was at 2pm on the day we were there. It drops you off on the main road near Fira, not in Fira itself, so a bit of a walk but pleasant. At that time of the afternoon there was a long queue for the cable car down to the tender wharf. We queued for 1.25 hours.

What do you plan to do at Santorini? Take the cable car or donkey up to the town to shop? Take a side trip to Oia? Visit a winery or other site? Some of these are easy enough to do via public transport, while others are best with privately booked transportation. We've been to Santorini several times and found the boat to Oia with bus back the quickest and most convenient way to get to/from Oia. I think it cost us $15 round trip. We went via public bus one trip and found ourselves waiting for almost an hour for the bus to Oia.

In addition to the sites mentioned there is an archaeological site (Akrotiri) and a Museum both looking like they are worth a visit.....on our hit list for September.

Most important part of the Santorini visit in my opinion is to stand on the top deck at some point during the day and just marvel at the crater rim surrounding you, look at Nea Kemini (‘New Burnt Island’ the new volcano in the middle that first appeared in the 1700’s) and then marvel that you are floating in a massive caldera above an area linked to Atlantis....depending on which books you read!

In addition to the sites mentioned there is an archaeological site (Akrotiri) and a Museum both looking like they are worth a visit.....on our hit list for September.

Most important part of the Santorini visit in my opinion is to stand on the top deck at some point during the day and just marvel at the crater rim surrounding you, look at Nea Kemini (‘New Burnt Island’ the new volcano in the middle that first appeared in the 1700’s) and then marvel that you are floating in a massive caldera above an area linked to Atlantis....depending on which books you read!

Yes, that is a great thought! We ate lunch at a local restaurant way up on the hill with incredible views, great wines, and service (good food, too). Passed on the donkey ride - for the same price took the cable car, relatively fast and I presume much more comfortable!

Can anyone that has been to Santorini give advice as to whether you need an "organized" tour or whether it's east enough to take the buses? What is the fare? Easy to navigate? Best use of time? Any info would be appreciated.

We rented a car. Easy to navigate. Had great time finding our own way and choosing how much time we stayed at each place. Found several nice out of the way places.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Get off early. If there is more than one ship in port, get off even earlier!

If you want to go to Oia then I suggest getting a ferry there. The ticket includes the ferry, a bus up the hill to Oia and a bus back to Fira. Sorry, but I can't remember what it cost but it was reasonable value.

We did that in 2014l it worked very well indeed, and we got to Oia before the crowds. ISTR it was 20 euros for the fast ferry and two buses.

Stuart

Passed on the donkey ride - for the same price took the cable car, relatively fast and I presume much more comfortable!

Very good decision...donkey masters are notorious for taking you half-way down and then telling you to either pay more or get off because they have another customer waiting at the top of bottom. I would also not recommend walking up or down because you walk on the same path the donkeys use and it is covered with donkey waste! We used the gondola...the line was long but moved quite rapidly, the cars are smooth and comfortable and the view is spectacular!

Very good decision...donkey masters are notorious for taking you half-way down and then telling you to either pay more or get off because they have another customer waiting at the top of bottom. I would also not recommend walking up or down because you walk on the same path the donkeys use and it is covered with donkey waste! We used the gondola...the line was long but moved quite rapidly, the cars are smooth and comfortable and the view is spectacular!

It is no fun for the donkeys either!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Here's a link to the Ports of Call boards where you might want to read/do a search on Santorini.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

Here's another thread to Tom's Port Guides on Santorini that you might find helpful.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/santorini-07-22-2013.pdf

Thank you so much. I'm new at navigating this site & appreciate the help!

I also would recommend the ferry to Oia, then the bus to Fira and the cable car back down to the tender. It is very easy and much better value, $20 last year. Oia is the place with all the blue roof tops, very beautiful. After the ferry takes you around the island, you are picked up by bus and taken up to Oia. The way is then signposted, a short walk to where you need to be. Another reason for getting there as early as you can is it gets very crowded and the streets and passages are very narrow. By the time you have seen what you want (and it’s getting crowded), get the bus to Fira. A nice ride seeing some of the island and then when you get to the bus drop off point it’s another short walk into the town. Have a look around and then get the furnicula (have to pay but only a few $) back down to get the tender. As I said, it is easy and I would recommend it.

The bus to Oia can be really busy and the manners of some fellow cruise passengers when queuing and getting on was pretty awful both times we were there, but it's cheap. We got off a stop or two too early on the way back, but the walk along the cliffs back to Thira was an unexpected bonus. The ferry option sounds great too.

If the cable car queue is long to get back down, don't be afraid to walk the steps if you are able. We did it with a 4 year old, so it's not as bad as it might seem.

As part of your planning process I’d highly recommend you have a look at the port schedule for the day you are there. Santorini is one of those ports of call where the amount of other ship passengers and the time they arrive and depart makes a huge difference to the experience. On busy days getting up and down on the gondola can be problematic with large queues. Plan your day accordingly. I do not enjoy days when it’s busy and am always pleased if when I’ve checked the port schedule that there is only us or one other ship there.

I’ve done the Oia ferry out/bus back a few times. I had one bad experience when the sea was quite rough on the tender from ship to island and the tender used a sheltered dock I’d never been to before. I should have known. The ferry ride to Oia that they continued to run was horrendous and the unloading of all the passengers at the other end plain scary. Just be aware if it’s rough the day you are there. Ferry tickets are available from a shop right next to the tender station with a blue and yellow signage.

Oia is very pretty with some lovely photo opportunities. Better than the much closer Thira at the top of the gondola ride. In Oia there is a restaurant called Thalami. I’d highly recommend it. Excellent food, great service and wonderful view. I’ve been there quite a few times.

Phil