ft lauderdale Caribbean princess cruise

georgieavo

It is way too close. Plus, if they sail at 5:30, all aboard would probably be 4pm, perhaps 3:30.

Ā 

Any way they can switch to an earlier arriving flight? Or even the day before? This scheduled flight is an invite to serious problems.

Ā 

Ā 

They are looking at changing flight to the day before, they've never been on a cruise before or even to America so i was hoping people with experience could point out if it was too tight, it sounds like it is, thanks for your advise

Very bad.

Ā 

Don't let them do this.

Ā 

I don't even recommend flying in the day of the cruise let alone cutting it this close.

Ā 

Doesn't matter where the flight begins nor time of year.

Ā 

I would change it and if a penalty is involved more the reason to change it to a day earlier then this.

Ā 

Keith

They are looking at changing flight to the day before, they've never been on a cruise before or even to America so i was hoping people with experience could point out if it was too tight, it sounds like it is, thanks for your advise

Changing to the day before would be a very good decision.

FLL is very close to the cruise port. If they only have carryon, it's tight, but possible. Theoretically.

Ā 

That said, if they're coming internationally, do NOT do this. Change to the day before.

Ā 

I normally don't mind flying in the day of, under very, very select scenarios. Basically, when it's close by, first flight out, and not in an area with weather delays. Once you start flying international, cross county, have connections, etc, your risk of a delay increases dramatically.

Ā 

Where are they coming from, and do they have any connections? List all segments of the flight, the airline, month they're flying, etc. Depending on your answers, even I could see situations where I'd recommend coming in 2 days early. Most likely, coming in the day before should be fine. However, if it's hurricane season, all bets are off.

Did they use the Princess air? If not, they should definitely fly in 1 or 2 days ahead of time depending where they are coming from. We flew in from Canada and our luggage was lost and didn't arrive be until the next day. If we had not had an extra day we would be sailing without luggage.

it's an international flight direct from london to fort lauderdale with american airlines. the trip is next week :o I'd appreciate any advice as they are sticking with their flights at the moment

Ā 

Ā 

FLL is very close to the cruise port. If they only have carryon, it's tight, but possible. Theoretically.

Ā 

That said, if they're coming internationally, do NOT do this. Change to the day before.

Ā 

I normally don't mind flying in the day of, under very, very select scenarios. Basically, when it's close by, first flight out, and not in an area with weather delays. Once you start flying international, cross county, have connections, etc, your risk of a delay increases dramatically.

Ā 

Where are they coming from, and do they have any connections? List all segments of the flight, the airline, month they're flying, etc. Depending on your answers, even I could see situations where I'd recommend coming in 2 days early. Most likely, coming in the day before should be fine. However, if it's hurricane season, all bets are off.

it's an international flight direct from london to fort lauderdale with american airlines. the trip is next week :o I'd appreciate any advice as they are sticking with their flights at the moment

Ā 

Praying would be the next step. Bag claim, Immigration and Customs could add an hour to getting out of the airport. Just hope nothing causes the plane to be late. Have them run out and catch a cab to the port.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully they did. I can imagine scenarios where it's possible. FLL doesn't get a ton of international traffic as I understand. That can be good or bad depending on staffing levels at customs. I've picked up people from "small" airports before and they said immigration/customs was a breeze. Believe it or not, I've had instances where I've breezed through immigration/customs at SFO and LAX before. If you hit that sweet spot where they're staffed up, but a ton of flights haven't come in yet, it's possible. Granted, this is coming international destinations where drugs aren't a huge problem and I can communicate in English effectively and all my forms are filled out accurately and I have nothing to declare. I've never had a problem with the officer sizing my threat level and seeing them dismiss me as no concern usually after just the first word or short phrase out of my mouth.

Ā 

Elderly, coming from London (as friendly a destination and not a huge importer of drug country as you can really get), going on a cruise? Provided they don't have contraband food items, they should be able to breeze through. If they went all carry on, it would be tight, but I can see it. Even with baggage, if the all aboard is 4 or 4:30, it's possible. IIRC, my taxi ride from airport to cruise terminal was only like 5 minutes.