Purchasing a bottle for the room....worth it?

rexy69

Just curious, have you done rum runners successfully on all of your cruises?

Yes. Every one. Never detected. You can even stuff them in your pants and go through the metal detector. I have even stuffed them in my socks.

But to be honest, the only thing that can show up on the x ray is the toothpaste style cap. Put it with your toiletries in your checked bag and it will go through fine.

I was well worth it to me! On a five day cruise my sister and I only drank the wine we brought and the bottle of rum. Any time we were in the room we made a drink and put it in our insulated cups. We never really had to make any trips to the room just for that. Just when we went to change, drop stuff off, or nap. We mixed with juice, lemon-aid, coke, and ginger ale. I will 100% do this on our next cruise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all your input. I liked the idea of bringing a Bubba Keg. Actually, some of your ideas helped me think of a good plan....I enjoy my coconut rum with blue Powerade, so I thought maybe I could buy a 6 pack of Powerade and just mix the drinks in the Powerade bottles.....I also have a little cooler bag that looks like a purse, so I could fit a few pre-mixed bottles in the purse with some ice and have drinks for quite a while between cabin visits. See, it helps to put our heads together and brainstorm :)

Don't forget the little airplane bottles....

I pack a few racks of those in each suitcase, some singles in my carry on...

On the flight down I have a few in my carry on....same when I fly international.

I'll take a diet coke with some ice please!!

Don't know how many peoples seated next to me were amazed.

Too expensive. Rum runners.

We did the rum runners a couple cruises back and they were taken away. I say if you are going to sneak it on then use a real bottle - at least it will be returned to you at the end of the cruise. If it's not in the original bottle then it will never be returned.

We do purchase a bottle for the room in order to have a drink while getting ready for dinner. Expensive but seems to be cheaper than drink per drink so it works for us.

We did the rum runners a couple cruises back and they were taken away. I say if you are going to sneak it on then use a real bottle - at least it will be returned to you at the end of the cruise. If it's not in the original bottle then it will never be returned.

They changed the policy a few years ago, even if it’s in the original bottle you can’t get it back.

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

We typically order the vodka/mixer package. And we have fun Cozumel 'water' bottles that we will take to Serenity and mix with lemonade. For us, one bottle is just enough to modestly supplement what we purchase out on deck and at the bars. We also purchase a wine package for dinner. Our consumption of individually purchased drinks during the day is probably about 2pp on sea days and maybe 1pp on the ship on port days so we're not big drinkers. I have never had a hangover on a cruise which I actually view as a plus. Too much fun stuff to do.

Thanks for all your input. I liked the idea of bringing a Bubba Keg. Actually, some of your ideas helped me think of a good plan....I enjoy my coconut rum with blue Powerade, so I thought maybe I could buy a 6 pack of Powerade and just mix the drinks in the Powerade bottles.....I also have a little cooler bag that looks like a purse, so I could fit a few pre-mixed bottles in the purse with some ice and have drinks for quite a while between cabin visits. See, it helps to put our heads together and brainstorm :)

Just an FYI...if the Powerade is in plastic bottles, you can’t take it. Only cans and cartons allowed. Does it come in packets? You could buy the bottled water onboard and use those to mix and carry in your cooler bag.

Just an FYI...if the Powerade is in plastic bottles, you can’t take it. Only cans and cartons allowed. Does it come in packets? You could buy the bottled water onboard and use those to mix and carry in your cooler bag.

You can order Powerade from the Fun Shops, don't have to bring it on board.

I'm so confused. Some folks talk about bringing little bottles in their checked and carry-on luggage, others say it will be confiscated. What are these in-room drink packages? The only thing I see available is Cheers. Does the cruise line search your checked luggage?

Yes your luggage gets checked and anything found will be confiscated, BUT not everything is found so therefore, some will report success in smuggling in booze while others will tell you it will be confiscated...its a luck of the draw thing....

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that your TA gets a discount on the liquor purchased for your cabin and so i called mine and they do! She didn't even know it but she finally confirmed and was able to purchase my $75.00 bottle of vodka for $60.00 (no tax) so that was pretty awesome. Now it's only $40 higher than at home... LOL

Cheers!

Our neighbors ordered a bottle for their cabin. He likes being able to make his own drink in the cabin while resting or waiting for his wife to get ready. He still ended up taking leftover booze home with him. I usually just carry on a bottle of wine for any in-cabin sipping. The rest of the time I pay as I go, as I don't drink enough to make cheers worth it, especially if there are a lot of port days.

I read somewhere that your TA gets a discount on the liquor purchased for your cabin and so i called mine and they do! She didn't even know it but she finally confirmed and was able to purchase my $75.00 bottle of vodka for $60.00 (no tax) so that was pretty awesome. Now it's only $40 higher than at home... LOL

Cheers!

Still better than at the bar. For $60 worth of actual vodka, you'd be lucky to get 1/3 of that bottle.

We ordered a bottle for our room. Yes, its pricey but still only 1/2 the price of buying mixed drinks on board. We are already bringing soda anyway so we can use those for mixers and also bringing powdered drink packets we can use. The bad thing about the cheers package IMO is that you pay all that money, cant use the package when off the boat for daytrip, and they are just using cheap liquor instead of top shelf anyway.

We ordered a bottle for our room. Yes, its pricey but still only 1/2 the price of buying mixed drinks on board. We are already bringing soda anyway so we can use those for mixers and also bringing powdered drink packets we can use. The bad thing about the cheers package IMO is that you pay all that money, cant use the package when off the boat for daytrip, and they are just using cheap liquor instead of top shelf anyway.

While I agree that Cheers is not worth it to us and we will probably never buy it in its current incarnation for many reasons, to be fair, you can direct them to use whatever liquor you like so long as the resulting drink wouldn't end up being priced over 50 dollars.

They only use the cheap liquor if you order the cheap liquor. You can order individual drinks up to $50 each on the Cheers package, so yes, you can order the $20 shots of Goose or Patron. and not just the "cheap liquor". Where do you get your information from?

They only use the cheap liquor if you order the cheap liquor. You can order individual drinks up to $50 each on the Cheers package, so yes, you can order the $20 shots of Goose or Patron. and not just the "cheap liquor". Where do you get your information from?

No need to get upset. I have many many friends who are bar tenders and that's what they told me. Apologize if not true but doesn't change the fact that the Cheers package is not for me personally.