How bad does the soot get on the sunset verandas?

LeCricket

We have sailed in one, on deck 7. We DID notice it, but it varied, probably due to wind etc. It is not significant enough to keep us from booking again. Our experience was that it was a minor issue. The view is worth a million dollars, the soot was a $5 discount....

;)

I'm thinking of booking one but this issue is scaring me away a bit. Are there decks or rooms that get less soot?

I just completed an 11-day cruise in December 2017 in a SV on Silhouette (Deck 6). We did not experience any issues with soot.

We did experience the noise associated with coming into a port and docking.

Otherwise, no complaints. We would consider it again on a future cruise.

Walter

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Had a C1 on the aft deck 9 on the Constellation. I do not remember any soot. The balcony is HUGE and part is covererd and part of it is not. I hosted two sailaway parties with some of the folks on my roll call. Plenty of room.

Sunset verandah 8344 on Solstice...no soot at all. It was also the middle verandah so it was wider than the other balconies on that deck. As ccsix said, "worth the views". I've also just booked a SV on one of the Edge preview cruises. Can't wait!!!

Soot is no longer an issue on any X ship. The stacks were fitted with "scrubbers" to eliminate it. Learned this last month during a bridge tour... Captain Kate explained it.

Do you know when this was? Last August we had a corner aft S1 Sky Suite. We had lots of soot all over the balcony and furniture from day 4 on.

We have been in S1 corner aft suites and never had soot. I do know that the wind direction and other factors can influence this, but cabin attendants are also supposed to be great at cleaning it up. So far, on three different ships...none!

I'm thinking of booking one but this issue is scaring me away a bit. Are there decks or rooms that get less soot?

I don’t think there is a magic deck or cabin position. It is just how the wind blows the soot from the stack. I’ve had very little and I’ve had a lot. The attendants are very good at cleaning and hosing down in their morning run, but if it’s out there you’ll see the signs. I actually ask my cabin attendant for an old cloth so that I can at least wipe the balcony rail down first thing when I go out there. It’s an issue, but not a major one for me and the aft view and quiet neighbourhood more than compensates. I’m booked I an SV on my April cruise.

Phil

Soot is a possible downside but that depends on a variety of factors as to whether or not it will be an issue for you. I've personally not had issues on Celebrity. The stateroom attendant should clean your balcony daily. If you're wearing light-colored clothes, it wouldn't hurt to wipe down the railing if you're going to lean against it.

The S-Class ships don't have an aft elevator or stairs that are accessible to guests, so you'll spend a lot of time walking to the mid-ship elevators to get anywhere. This is good for burning calories but can be annoying if you leave something in your room. There tends to be more motion at the aft of the ship. If you're prone to seasickness, take something starting the day before your cruise. Conversely, some people like the way it rocks.

You really cannot beat the view of the wake, which is why I book aft rooms. It also tends to be quieter since not many people walk that far back.

Soot is no longer an issue on any X ship. The stacks were fitted with "scrubbers" to eliminate it. Learned this last month during a bridge tour... Captain Kate explained it.

They do bridge tours? I was just trying to find such a thing without any luck. On Carnival its a bookable excursion that always fills.

How is the Celebrity bridge tour offered?

We were on the Summit last August watching a movie on the rooftop terrace and suddenly a few bits of hot soot landed on my arms and legs. Brushed them away and it left back marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're in an aft corner S1 on the Silhouette now. One night I wanted to sit on the balcony and enjoy stars but the stack exhaust was flowing pretty heavily right over the balcony obscuring the view. The smell was obvious and burned my nose. We are on deck 10.

The next day I saw pieces of soot on the deck

I always have a pool towel to put on the chair before I sit down.

Advantage to an aft corner...i spent most of the day in st maarten in the shade reading on my balcony with a view of the port and beautiful Great Bay

Sent from my iPhone using Forums