Anyone else annoyed or perplexed by the fact that the robot gets a tip

Luckily there is no need for you to understand it.

I´ve never seen the bionic bar empty on the ships I´ve been on that had it.

Do you really think folks give up drinking because there is a service charge added to drinks from the bionic bar? So what would they gain by not going back there because of the added service charge. They have to pay it at every other bar anyway. So your thoughts make no sense at all.

Oh yeah and I´m fine with the 18% added just like at any other bar. Not the least bit annoyed or perplexed. I would be perplexed if there wasn´t a service charge.

It seems you are quite unhappy with a lot of things, maybe it´s time for you to branch out to other lines or even other forms of vacation.

The obvious difference is that at another bar an actual person is making and or serving you the drink. If you are fine with tipping a machine and it makes sense to you go ahead and do it.

I have been on several cruises with a bionic bar and that bar is empty most of the time, in my experience. If your experience has been different then good for the robot. Geez.

I'll pick and choose my vacation types and companies thank you very much. I don't need you to tell me what to do. I have been cruising since the days of the Oceanic when you got white glove service (literally) and when they said everything except alcohol is included in the fare that is exactly what they meant. No nickel and diming, no paying extra for "better" food, all food was amazing and included, no tipping robots or anyone else that you didn't want to tip either, you tipped for the excellent service provided, however much you wanted to and to actual human beings who performed the service. You were not expected to pay salaries.

Edited by tbillcruising

The obvious difference is that at another bar an actual person is making and or serving you the drink. If you are fine with tipping a machine and it makes sense to you go ahead and do it.

I have been on several cruises with a bionic bar and that bar is empty most of the time, in my experience. If your experience has been different then good for the robot. Geez.

I'll pick and choose my vacation types and companies thank you very much. I don't need you to tell me what to do. I have been cruising since the days of the Oceanic when you got white glove service (literally) and when they said everything except alcohol is included in the fare that is exactly what they meant. No nickel and diming, no paying extra for "better" food, all food was amazing and included, no tipping robots or anyone else that you didn't want to tip either, you tipped for the excellent service provided, however much you wanted to and to actual human beings who performed the service. You were not expected to pay salaries.

You can still get that service, but you will pay for it, it will not be on budget main lines.

What many people claim is nickel and diming is simply letting the people that use a service to pay for it, instead of forcing others that do not use it to subsidize others that do. In this case, the cost of a drink, or drink package is the total with the service charge. Figure out whether that total cost is worth it or not, don't worry about an extra cost, and where it goes.

Sounds like you are one that wants all inclusive 5 star dining for the cost of a 2 star.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

If there are few patrons in the Bionic Bar, then there are few patrons tipping the bar tender. So, why is this an issue.

BTW, you are expected to pay salaries while on Oceania. It comes out of your pocket as a part of your cruise price. Nothing is ever free. Some one pays for it.

I don't understand why their is an 18% tip added to the price of a drink that is purchased, made and served by the robot. That is the reason why after using it once most don't go back. Every cruise that I have been on that has a Bionic Bar is empty after the first day.

No more than the girl gets the 18% for ringing up your toothpaste in the gift shop

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Luckily there is no need for you to understand it.

I´ve never seen the bionic bar empty on the ships I´ve been on that had it.

Do you really think folks give up drinking because there is a service charge added to drinks from the bionic bar? So what would they gain by not going back there because of the added service charge. They have to pay it at every other bar anyway. So your thoughts make no sense at all.

Oh yeah and I´m fine with the 18% added just like at any other bar. Not the least bit annoyed or perplexed. I would be perplexed if there wasn´t a service charge.

It seems you are quite unhappy with a lot of things, maybe it´s time for you to branch out to other lines or even other forms of vacation.

Agree! Why does everyone complain about the same service charge/gratuity etc? You know it’s there. It’s part of the cost, just like taxes. It’s been there forever, or at least a long time, way before you booked your current cruise. If you disagree with it, vote with your money and cruise or vacation elsewhere. And if you do book cruises don’t get mad at charges you know are going to be there

Agree! Why does everyone complain about the same service charge/gratuity etc? You know it’s there. It’s part of the cost, just like taxes. It’s been there forever, or at least a long time, way before you booked your current cruise. If you disagree with it, vote with your money and cruise or vacation elsewhere. And if you do book cruises don’t get mad at charges you know are going to be there

Wasn't the point we don't tip coke machines? What's that got to do with paying service charges to humans who "serve" us? Or should we, in your opinion, pay a service charge on a coke machine too? Confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't the point we don't tip coke machines? What's that got to do with paying service charges to humans who "serve" us? Or should we, in your opinion, pay a service charge on a coke machine too? Confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point was we know the charge is there. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. It’s our choice to buy it or not based on the knowledge of the cost.

I don't understand why their is an 18% tip added to the price of a drink that is purchased, made and served by the robot. That is the reason why after using it once most don't go back. Every cruise that I have been on that has a Bionic Bar is empty after the first day.

Because they can!

Your are lucky itis only 18%..... They will raise it to 20% soon!:p

The tips that are automatically added to the prices of drinks are divided among the crew members. I do not think that the robot gets a share! Nevertheless, if the tip was waived at the Bionic Bar, then the Bionic Bar would simply become a place to purchase drinks at a lower price than anywhere else. That is certainly not the purpose for which Royal Caribbean created the Bionic Bar.

The price should be lower... to compensate for the spillage! ;)

Edited by icsys