Anyone else annoyed or perplexed by the fact that the robot gets a tip

Your probably paying for the person who stocks the machine and whatever else is needed. I haven't seen this Robot except for photos.

But shouldn't RCCL pay that person? Gratuities are supposed to be a reward for good service not payment of someone's salary. The person stocking the machine is not serving anyone anything.

I don't understand why their is an 18% tip added to the price of a drink that is purchased, made and served by the robot. That is the reason why after using it once most don't go back. Every cruise that I have been on that has a Bionic Bar is empty after the first day.

Because they can.

I don't understand why their is an 18% tip added to the price of a drink that is purchased, made and served by the robot. That is the reason why after using it once most don't go back. Every cruise that I have been on that has a Bionic Bar is empty after the first day.

The tips that are automatically added to the prices of drinks are divided among the crew members. I do not think that the robot gets a share! Nevertheless, if the tip was waived at the Bionic Bar, then the Bionic Bar would simply become a place to purchase drinks at a lower price than anywhere else. That is certainly not the purpose for which Royal Caribbean created the Bionic Bar.

Robot discrimination? Equal pay for equal work!

It's not a tip, it's a service charge. Service charges are not optional and help to pay for lubricants and other consumables. :D

Yes they can, but that doesn't mean they should. Nobody uses it. Cut off their nose to spite their face. .... and what a crappy way to treat your customer.

It's their company, they can do what they want. As you say, your choice is to patronize them or not.

There is a robot wrangler person who is usually nearby, maybe the tips go to them? I know they get hated on but personally I enjoy the robots, on Anthem they always had a couple people around on my cruise. However I'm sure that is also because the robot bar on Anthem is centrally located, since the robots on Harmony are somewhat tucked away they probably get less traffic.

I don't understand why there is an 18% tip added to the price of a drink that is purchased, made and served by the robot. That is the reason why after using it once most don't go back. Every cruise that I have been on that has a Bionic Bar is empty after the first day.

When the Bionic Bar debuted on the Quantum, I asked the Hotel Director that question.

He said that the 18% goes into the Crew Welfare Fund. This directly benefits the entire crew.

The tips that are automatically added to the prices of drinks are divided among the crew members. I do not think that the robot gets a share! Nevertheless, if the tip was waived at the Bionic Bar, then the Bionic Bar would simply become a place to purchase drinks at a lower price than anywhere else. That is certainly not the purpose for which Royal Caribbean created the Bionic Bar.

Here's your answer.

When the Bionic Bar debuted on the Quantum, I asked the Hotel Director that question.

He said that the 18% goes into the Crew Welfare Fund. This directly benefits the entire crew.

Ok... but still, why do they EXPECT or REQUIRE a tip? Should we be required to tip the Coke machines too? That is the same concept as the bionic bar. It makes no sense. Since when are passengers responsible fo the Crew's Welfare?

Pour your own beer on carnival charges 15%. Shouldn't that be a discount? :confused:

Yeah, probably. Given RCL's IT issues, I would not be surprised if their software automatically applies the 18% to every alcohol transaction and they lack the ability or willingness to program the Bionic Bar differently.

In any event, this issue ranks pretty low on my list of cruising things to get worked up over. I'd probably just consider the 18% to be a novelty fee for the Bionic Bar, get one drink to say I did, and then drink elsewhere for the rest of the trip.

Here's your answer.

Makes total sense

As I said, yes they can but that doesn't make it right. Everyone is capable of doing things that they shouldn't do, it doesn't mean that they should.

In this case, I doubt there is a universally accepted right or wrong. You may feel it's wrong, others might not care.