New RCI Booking Game

Ocean Boy

Related (I hope) question. We just booked a cruise using prepaid cruise deposits that we had. The agent strongly discouraged me from going with the non refundable fare so I went with the refundable which is higher. She told me that I could change this later on to non refundable to get the lower fare if I wanted to. Is that true? I guess I just don't trust these people since I often get different answers to the same question from different agents.

Related (I hope) question. We just booked a cruise using prepaid cruise deposits that we had. The agent strongly discouraged me from going with the non refundable fare so I went with the refundable which is higher. She told me that I could change this later on to non refundable to get the lower fare if I wanted to. Is that true? I guess I just don't trust these people since I often get different answers to the same question from different agents.

Yes, you can change to non-refundable any time before final payment date. You cannot change back.

Yes, you can change to non-refundable any time before final payment date. You cannot change back.

You can only change to non-refundable if there are cabins available in your category, correct? I just made final payment on a cruise but all suites on the ship are sold out, so I did not try to change to non-refundable because I assumed I couldn't since my category is sold out. Final isn't due for a few weeks, so I will call back if I made a mistake.

Like OB, I haven't dealt with the non-refundable vs refundable mess yet since I am just dealing with existing bookings.

You can only change to non-refundable if there are cabins available in your category, correct? I just made final payment on a cruise but all suites on the ship are sold out, so I did not try to change to non-refundable because I assumed I couldn't since my category is sold out. Final isn't due for a few weeks, so I will call back if I made a mistake.

Like OB, I haven't dealt with the non-refundable vs refundable mess yet since I am just dealing with existing bookings.

Correct, there has to be a price showing to change to non-refundable. I would guess (Ellen would know from vast experience) that the switch to non-refundable has to be done well before final payment date to get a decent price drop.

Correct, there has to be a price showing to change to non-refundable. I would guess (Ellen would know from vast experience) that the switch to non-refundable has to be done well before final payment date to get a decent price drop.

I don't know I don't really pay attention to the non refundable rates

Thanks, that is what I thought, but I figured I would just confirm it. It is an Alaska cruise, the prices have not gone down at all and the suites all went within the first couple of months of the when the itinerary was released. I will keep an eye out to see if anything opens up as we are near final, would be interesting to see what the prices are now.

And you don't think you'll have the same problem with differing answers on the boards?

I have only one datapoint, but this is my experience. We booked refundable about 14 months in advance. I did not want to commit before I knew whether airfare would be doable, and that meant waiting to 11 months out. At the time of booking, the difference for two cabins between nonrefundable and refundable was about $800 total and $200 in OBC. I figured that the difference between 14 months and 11 months out would not be that significant. I figured wrong. We booked our airfare a month ago and once it was done, I checked to see whether we could change to nonrefundable. Worse cabins were $2,000 more each to switch -- at 11 months out. Now, it is 10 months out, and the difference is closer to $3,000 each, and only obstructed view balconies are left.

This is for a holiday cruise, so probably higher demand than other cruises but I guess the bottom line is to be fully prepared to pay the higher amount.

I was pricing out a cruise today. Now the OBC changes depending on whether you choose non-refundible or refundable deposit. So now with refundable you not only pay more for the cruise but the OBC is also reduced

Nice job RCI

Yes, I re-priced my Feb.'19 Symphony cruise, during one of their promos, to a non-refundable and saved not only $400+ but got $175 in OBC which I had not before which was booked before the new 2 tier pricing structure.

I can think of no one better suited.:)

Oh, you changed your post before I could quote it. Grrr.

Sorry I went ahead and wrote down the current non refundable fares for the Harmony cruises that we have booked for next year. Right now they are around $200 total less than the refundable ones that we booked.

I'll keep them somewhere so as time goes on I can see if they go up or down